Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Was just put in a game by myself against a Yamato, a Baltimore, and a Mogami. What?

So thats where that lone Yamato went in queue before the queue broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Has anyone tried forcing FSAA for this game?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

This client is loving bizarre, it's like lag 'builds up' as I play and if I don't restart every 4-5 rounds it will just spike up to 600+ms and sit there every round until it either disconnects from the server entirely or I restart the client. What the gently caress

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

:negative: WHY DIDNT THEY PICK MEEEEE :negative:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Gay Hitler posted:

:negative: WHY DIDNT THEY PICK MEEEEE :negative:

:smith::hf::smith:

I wanna play a carrier SO BAD right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that was a thing. Unintentionally pulled off a very nice stroke of teamwork when I sent my critically low on HP cruiser barreling towards a Fuso on a collision course, forcing the Fuso to turn to evade me but blundered right into a full spread of torpedoes from a destroyer. Ramming speed a viable option when you have nothing else to lose?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cythereal posted:

Ramming speed a viable option when you have nothing else to lose?
Well, yeah. If you have two options:

A) Wait for a few seconds, die
B) Ram someone, sink them, die

it's not actually a contest is it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I wanna play a carrier SO BAD right now.

Good news! They're boring and underpowered.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Pubbies seem to forget the Phoenix has torps. It's so satisfying to blast a battleship and then just zip away when they try to get close.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Phoenix/Omaha surprise torp broadsides are awesome.

Not that I miss them now that I'm onto the Cleveland because dem guns :hellyeah:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unlocked the Ranger carrier and it has some hilarious plane configurations. The default is the nice 1 fight, 2 torp, 1 dive. The second is 3 fight, 1 dive. Third is 2 torp, 2 dive. The fighter heavy one just wrecks anything in the sky (unless it's fighters from a higher tier carrier of course) but you're not really accomplishing anything with it except locking down the enemy carrier most/some of the time, by taking your own ship out of the fight as well. The dual bombers is really fun however, if a bit risky because you can't defend yourself from enemy fighters except by hiding inside an AA screen. :v:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys we managed to break the game! We were in a division consisting of two Clevelands and an Amagi. Sitting in the queue the five minute mark passed with nothing so I exited the queue and nothing happened but the spinning activity logo. Thinking I bugged the game I closed the client, launched and got back in game without issues except my Cleveland in port showed I was in battle. Chat worked so we thought it really went into a match and we had to wait it out. I thought we could launch a game meanwhile but nope, I could select another ship but it would not launch. I tried creating a new division but nope so I asked someone that was in game to send me an invite.. no joy. I logged back out, tried again and nothing. After taking screens and posting it in the bug thread a full hour later the game is still bugged out.

I manged to get one of the devs in TS via a connection I have and he went to the extent of removing my Cleveland altogether from my account and I can still not launch a loving game. We are going to wait until the server reset at 5AM PDT and cross fingers it fixes itself else who knows.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Hey guys we managed to break the game! We were in a division consisting of two Clevelands and an Amagi. Sitting in the queue the five minute mark passed with nothing so I exited the queue and nothing happened but the spinning activity logo. Thinking I bugged the game I closed the client, launched and got back in game without issues except my Cleveland in port showed I was in battle. Chat worked so we thought it really went into a match and we had to wait it out. I thought we could launch a game meanwhile but nope, I could select another ship but it would not launch. I tried creating a new division but nope so I asked someone that was in game to send me an invite.. no joy. I logged back out, tried again and nothing. After taking screens and posting it in the bug thread a full hour later the game is still bugged out.

I manged to get one of the devs in TS via a connection I have and he went to the extent of removing my Cleveland altogether from my account and I can still not launch a loving game. We are going to wait until the server reset at 5AM PDT and cross fingers it fixes itself else who knows.

Smug as gently caress right now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where are the ship skins located?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

demonR6 posted:

welp lmao

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonR6 posted:

What the heck are you doing using the beta test to actually test things?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

I've been getting Cleaveland-shaped dicks rammed in and out of my rear end every time I try to play, so you'll get no sympathy from me. :mad:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What the heck are you doing using the beta test to actually test things?

We were just trying to poo poo on pubbies using the cleveland steamers and the amagi. Going to be real lovely if this bug still persists through the server restart.

First game of the day and game breaking bug. Progress.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here's how to fight a Cleavland while in an Omaha/Phoenix:

Don't.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I found a game breaker, go me.

Skin chat.

If you browse to the folder in the image below, that is where the skins are for the USN cruisers.

All nations use the same premise, you just need to find the textures folder. In the example above, the skin is ends with the _a.dds, not the hull though so ASC007_Cleveland_1945_a.dds is the skin you want to edit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've been getting Cleaveland-shaped dicks rammed in and out of my rear end every time I try to play, so you'll get no sympathy from me. :mad:

I've had multiple 4-6 game kills today in the Cleveland and we raped a few teams earlier in a x3 Cleveland Steamer division. The best match of the day was when some shitter in a BB 5km behind us fires hitting us with no target in sight but he claimed he whiffed the shot. By the time he said that the three of us had turned out guns on him and blew the ship the shreds. Last I remember it had multiple fires going and he was going to report us.

PirateBob posted:

Has anyone tried forcing FSAA for this game?
FXAA off, using SweetFX.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 19, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

FXAA off, using SweetFX.

Does SweetFX's SMAA work for WoWS? :)

edit: tried sweetfx with smaa, no luck for anti aliasing :/

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 19, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Does SweetFX's SMAA work for WoWS? :)

edit: tried sweetfx with smaa, no luck for anti aliasing :/

Works like a charm. AA FXAA set to off running SweetFX and this is the comparative results.

No FX

FX Enabled

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Works like a charm. AA FXAA set to off running SweetFX and this is the comparative results.

Hmm, mind uploading the config? :)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Not really, you get better torpedoes, faster and more agile ships. Your trade off are worse guns that take longer to turn. Take away the turret advantage on US DD why would you even play one then?

Ugh the tier 7 US DD only goes 35 knots kill me now.

This is so absurdly downplaying the issue it's somewhat funny. Let's look at a comparison between some of the higher tier destroyers, shall we? Full upgrades for simplicity.

US Tier VIII Destroyer: Benson
HP: 15400
Speed: 38kts
Main Turrets: 4
-RoF: 13.3 rnds/min
-180 Turn Speed: 5.3 seconds
Torpedo Launchers: 2 with 5 tubes each.
-Damage: 14500
-Range: 8.2 km
-Speed: 52 kts
.RoF: 0.6 rnds/min
Maneuverability: 89
Concealment: 82

IJN Tier VIII Destroyer: Fubuki
HP: 13900
Speed: 35kts
Main Turrets: 2
-RoF: 6 rnds/min
-180 Turn Speed: 45 seconds
Torpedo Launchers: 3 with 3 tubes each.
-Damage: 17233
-Range: 15 km
-Speed: 57 kts
-RoF: 0.6 rnds/min
Maneuverability: 86
Concealment: 83

So, the US one gets an insanely better gun, more turrets, faster speed, better maneuverability and still gets decent torpedoes. Meanwhile, the IJN one is stuck with guns that turn slower than the same tier battleship.

So, please go on as to how those somewhat better torpedoes make everything else being worse - and in the case of the gun absolutely horrible - somehow desirable. Keeping in mind that due to how they have torpedo spotting currently coded to work, that extra range when firing close by is actually a liability. And that at 15 km you're not even really aiming any more, but rather just firing randomly and hoping someone blunders into one.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
God dammit Demon. All I've found so far is artefacting, floating trees (which got removed anyway, RIP), and then I saw Nevzing run into an invisible wall in open water which was loving hilarious.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ are you playing on gudios macbook from the tanks thread?

This is the version of SweetFX I am using and it includes the presets from my setup.

I am in TS and can jump into a channel to be sure you are setting it up right. You have to disable FXAA in game and for example if you have an nVidia card and it is enabled in the program then that might be loving with it.. that or you are using a hacked 3DS to play PC games. I can't help you then.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Honestly FXAA doesn't fix the giant aliasing problem in this game. It needs supersampling to make the rigging not hilarious, and there's no way to do it now other than forcefeed the game pixels till it chokes, and then the UI is way too small.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Super quick and dirty but :catdrugs:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think there is no way in hell you would be spotted out in the open ocean with that camo job, good work!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

demonR6 posted:

I think there is no way in hell you would be spotted out in the open ocean with that camo job, good work!

You ever seen an ork in purple camo? I didn't think so.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Compares one tier as a point

The Japanese get 3 destroyers that both have higher speed and better maneuverability than their equal tier US counter-part. The US, only gets one which magically happens to be the one you chose to compare. You under value the ability to poo poo out torpedoes at a cap 10KM away when this game is full of retards just like WoT.

I will concede that a 45 second turret turn time is too drat high.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 19, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

They'll never see you coming. Never.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Jesus Christ are you playing on gudios macbook from the tanks thread?

This is the version of SweetFX I am using and it includes the presets from my setup.

I am in TS and can jump into a channel to be sure you are setting it up right. You have to disable FXAA in game and for example if you have an nVidia card and it is enabled in the program then that might be loving with it.. that or you are using a hacked 3DS to play PC games. I can't help you then.

Yeah I've got SweetFX working, FXAA off etc, and there's a slight difference with SMAA, but it doesn't really do much.

I even tried using Nvidia Inspector to try various antialiasing compatibility settings and forcing supersampling, but it does nothing for those godawful rigging wires.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite British ship name, aside from HMS Gay Viking is the HMS Indefatigable. So good they used it 6 times over 2 centuries.

Vengarr posted:

Unlike the paper tanks, paper ships typically received a lot more effort and were way more fleshed-out before being discarded. The Montana-class was all ready to go until the US decided it didn't need a giant anti-Yamato BB when aircraft carriers were working just fine; similarly, the Super Yamato-class designed to counter the Montana was completely planned out, but was never built because they had to divert production to other ships. Even ships that were never really expected to be built got lots of attention as theoretical exercises.

The Super Yamato was going to have 6 20-inch guns. To replace those lame 18-inch popguns on the Yamato.

Japan really went in hard on the "Bigger is better" school of thought. The Shinano at 65,000 tons was, I believe, the biggest non-nuclear carrier ever built.

Jokes on Japan, the US had radar aim hacks while they still had to aim those monster guns manually. Actually I got a quick question for you beta havers, do Japanese ships get the option of having each ship have their own colour for shell explosions?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Yeah I've got SweetFX working, FXAA off etc, and there's a slight difference with SMAA, but it doesn't really do much.

I even tried using Nvidia Inspector to try various antialiasing compatibility settings and forcing supersampling, but it does nothing for those godawful rigging wires.

What profile are you using? Can you jump on TS real quick?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fart Car '97 posted:

gently caress yes!

I'm not in the beta yet, is Dazzle Camo something you can get?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, we are editing the image files using wizardry. It only works on our ships and others can't see unless you are streaming or post screens like we did.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonR6 posted:

No, we are editing the image files using wizardry. It only works on our ships and others can't see unless you are streaming or post screens like we did.

drat. Do you guys have a suggestion forum or something? Tell them to put in dazzle camo for premium bux.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Smoke is pretty amazing. I tried to bomb a destroyer who popped smoke but I couldn't see it despite having several squadrons directly above the center of the cloud. But fortunately a nearby cruiser became visible so I got in some sweet damage anyway.

quote:

The seamen of the Gay Viking
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

drat. Do you guys have a suggestion forum or something? Tell them to put in dazzle camo for premium bux.

I am going to say it is a safe bet they will do something like this because it is historical and they can make money.