Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

It might be another set then. The camera doesn't pick up beside me so I can't check for sure. Im pretty sure its loaded though. There's a cement plant about 2 miles behind me in that shot and the barrel was spinning. Do idle axles typically have tireless wheels on them as spacers? Because that's definitely what that gray cylinder on the inside of the left wheel was.

They are called tag axles, and yes.

You also don't die if they are up when you are loaded. In fact, you have to lift them to turn.

This isn't any big deal. The only problem he would have is with truck enforcement. Or maybe not even that, since "the barrel spinning" could be because he's got the last 1/2 yard of over run from the job he was on still in the barrel and needs to keep it moving so it won't harden on his way back to the yard to dump it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Motronic posted:

Or maybe not even that, since "the barrel spinning" could be because he's got the last 1/2 yard of over run from the job he was on still in the barrel and needs to keep it moving so it won't harden on his way back to the yard to dump it.

He's headed away from the yard in this shot. Anyway thanks guys, I learned things about trucks today. :eng101:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Has the opposite of my last irritation post earlier today. Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him. Tried to get his attention to tell him but no luck. Drove like a sane and attentive human at least.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Has the opposite of my last irritation post earlier today. Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him. Tried to get his attention to tell him but no luck. Drove like a sane and attentive human at least.

I keep getting stuck behind people who just brake because they.. miss braking? I dunno. They just brake all the time, when they don't need to. I don't get it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

I keep getting stuck behind people who just brake because they.. miss braking? I dunno. They just brake all the time, when they don't need to. I don't get it.

Were they doing that thing where they gun it in the straights then slam in the brakes at even light curves because turning is scary? Everyone around here does that and it's infuriating.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

I've driven with people who don't know how to maintain their speed. They either stab at the gas and let off repeatedly or the even worse ones stab at the gas than alternate with the brake.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

There's the people who don't understand that you can have neither pedal pushed and coast to reduce speed so they'll jab the brakes at any time they feel the need to slow down

Then there's the people who drive with two feet and rest their left foot on the brake pedal

These

These are people you shared a road with

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Great Beer posted:

Were they doing that thing where they gun it in the straights then slam in the brakes at even light curves because turning is scary? Everyone around here does that and it's infuriating.

Motronic posted:

I've driven with people who don't know how to maintain their speed. They either stab at the gas and let off repeatedly or the even worse ones stab at the gas than alternate with the brake.

I think they're doing what Motronic said. They accelerate a bit (not hard) then brake, then accelerate, then brake, etc.

Some people just seem loving terrified to even be driving, and brake for everything. Car coming the other way? BRAKE! Pedestrians on the pavement? BRAKE! Approaching (green) traffic light? BRAKE!

Driving home earlier behind one of these people, coming to a pretty steep hill, they start braking just before it.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mooseykins posted:

Some people just seem loving terrified to even be driving, and brake for everything. Car coming the other way? BRAKE! Pedestrians on the pavement? BRAKE! Approaching (green) traffic light? BRAKE!

Driving home earlier behind one of these people, coming to a pretty steep hill, they start braking just before it.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???

A friend of mine developed a reputation of being the guy who would brake for a green light anticipating it turning yellow. It was very true.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My ex wife was one of those people who treated the gas pedal as an on/off switch, it was loving nauseating and I usually refused to let her drive.

Was in Chicago today and was not following the accelerate / brake paradigm.. Was maintaining a constant speed but this semi truck behind me would fall back then ride my rear end and honk his horn at me because I wasn't kissing the rear end of the car in front of me. gently caress you buddy, learn how to drive.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him.

The first time I went shopping for bearing grease, I noticed there were two types on the shelf - general, multipurpose grease and grease specifically for Ford-Lincoln-Mercury vehicles. I remember hearing their spec for higher-temp bearing grease wasn't due to some unique axle design, but that their owners tended to rest a foot on the brake pedal while driving.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some spaz chick was constantly flashing her high beams at me for like a mile. I finally got over and slowed, but she just blew past me. I got back up next to her and she didn't even notice me. Turned down the road I usually take, high beams flashing away in the dark; I took an alternate route just in case.

I'm not even sure she was aware she was doing it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Some spaz chick was constantly flashing her high beams at me for like a mile. I finally got over and slowed, but she just blew past me. I got back up next to her and she didn't even notice me. Turned down the road I usually take, high beams flashing away in the dark; I took an alternate route just in case.

I'm not even sure she was aware she was doing it.

it's quite possible the horn fuse was gone and the alarm was going off.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

it's quite possible the horn fuse was gone and the alarm was going off.

I've seen some old woman slowly exit a multi story carpark and drive off down the street with their entire car alarm going off 110%. I don't think people care.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tuna posted:

I've seen some old woman slowly exit a multi story carpark and drive off down the street with their entire car alarm going off 110%. I don't think people care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sV9A5VBZwc

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The lady behind me on my way to work was putting on her makeup while driving.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Oh Eleanore :allears:

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Mooseykins posted:

What gets me is people braking while going uphill to stay within the speed limit. How about just let off the throttle a little bit?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Hansolio posted:

What gets me is people braking while going uphill to stay within the speed limit. How about just let off the throttle a little bit?

I always get stuck behind them, on small steep hills around london, while loaded. Seriously, don't make my engine drop below boost and then make me drop a gear. Urrrrggghhh.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hansolio posted:

Ummm, the gas pedal is a switch, if I don't press it, I'll stop, you silly billy. And if I don't break I'll be going too fast and I'll get a ticket!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bajaha posted:

Ummm, the gas pedal is a switch, if I don't press it, I'll stop, you silly billy. And if I don't break I'll be going too fast and I'll get a ticket!

BREAK YO'SELF, FOOL.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Awe drat, undone by Swype + autocorrect. I'm forever shamed!!!!!!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I read it as intentional.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rYkU7T0DA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^ The Youtube comments on that are amazing. Every once in a while I forget and get reminded why I should never read comments on YT.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Everyone featured in this video behaved like a complete idiot.. some more aggressively than others, but still.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Better go Nightcrawler this rather than call the cops beforehand. :thumbsup:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh great, now we get to have this whole debate here. I think I'll go read the youtube comments instead.

Yes, everyone in the video is loving stupid including the cameraman.

As for people we share the road with, today on my way to work I had been smelling coolant and worrying that it was me, then saw a car a few hundred feet ahead abruptly spout a giant cloud of steam from under the hood. Came out all the way around, it was pretty funny. They kept driving.

I wonder if they'll mention that to the mechanic they bring it to... oh well, a bone dry cooling system is a pretty good clue.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Can we shortcut this and just say the only person beyond reproach was the poor girl the drunk oval office hit.

Observe that the guy that took the video is a loving loser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv1xvwk3tfI

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone enlighten me to the reason for the field sobriety test? Can't the guy be breathalyzed or hauled off for a blood draw right away?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bolind posted:

Can someone enlighten me to the reason for the field sobriety test? Can't the guy be breathalyzed or hauled off for a blood draw right away?

I imagine either to provide probable cause for the above, or to check for things that aren't alcohol.

I'm actually kind of nervous about that, myself. I never drive after drinking, but I have a condition that fucks with my balance, so I'd be screwed by most FSTs.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

What I've read from those "know your rights" things is that since a FST is a subjective test the officer can basically say whatever the hell they want, so you should always refuse them and ask to be tested with a breathalyzer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Strabo4 posted:

What I've read from those "know your rights" things is that since a FST is a subjective test the officer can basically say whatever the hell they want, so you should always refuse them and ask to be tested with a breathalyzer.

Uhm, no. The breathalyzer is the in-field test. It is not very accurate and will always hurt your case. If you can refuse it in your state (in CA you can refuse the PAS), you should. The evidential test is different.

The field sobriety tests are basically a tool to make you look more guilty. Refusing them, however, can be used against you in court (at least in CA). If it were me, I'd refuse them, but I'd have a good excuse. They will always do these (or try) because it is a great weapon at trail if you fall all over your rear end.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nm posted:

Uhm, no. The breathalyzer is the in-field test. It is not very accurate and will always hurt your case. If you can refuse it in your state (in CA you can refuse the PAS), you should. The evidential test is different.

Refusing the breath screener sounds really inconvenient - wouldn't that just get you carted back to the station/bus where the proper machine is?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dissss posted:

Refusing the breath screener sounds really inconvenient - wouldn't that just get you carted back to the station/bus where the proper machine is?

If they have the PC for the arrest. But I've had more than a few cases where the guy blows .06 or .07 and still gets hauled off. Or even 0.00 and the cop decides he must be on drugs.
Unless you know you're gonna blow 0s, you probably don't want to do the roadside PAS. Most people who blow over .08 thought they were fine too.

Also, without FSTS, PAS, and no bad driving an attorney might be able to fight the arrest. I mean, you'll still probably lose, but you have an argument.

Also, it will probably take an hour to get to the breath machine. If you were already absorbed at the time of arrest, you discharge at a rate of .015-.017.

The real key to getting out of a DUI is to not drink (much) and drive.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 20, 2015

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Refusing FSTs in Alaska is it's own crime in and of itself, thanks to implied consent. If you refuse you'll get charged just as if you would a DUI, as well as possibly getting a DUI anyway when you blow / have blood drawn at the station.

It's also "officers discretion" as to arresting based on a PBT. The .08 is not some magic number. If you blow under and they feel you're impaired you'll go to jail anyway.

You may not be convicted of a DUI but you'll still spend the night in the pokey and have to post bail. Except if you go to jail on a Saturday night. Then you get TWO nights at the jail because the judges don't work on Sundays.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
edit: whatever.

This dude is lucky he didn't kill somebody

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kastein posted:

Oh great, now we get to have this whole debate here. I think I'll go read the youtube comments instead.

Don't you loving dare discuss the video you guys

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
https://youtu.be/kSOWnWL7Kl0

Let's discuss this video instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://youtu.be/kSOWnWL7Kl0

Let's discuss this video instead.

I don't know what else there is to be said.

You're a long-haul driver, so you should have the expert opinion here: would silk panties help a chafing situation?