Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Japans esports scene is effectively none existent, as much as i'd love something like that in gundam form they'd have no idea how to actually write it. You'd have to bring someone from korea for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The worst part is is not that this show is kinda mediocre, it's that there a lot of really really good ideas and episodes in here that show it had the potential to meet if not surpass the quality of season one. Even if they just gave Sekai some character or learn to love Gundam and Gunpla, not just fighting, it would've made the show so much better.
As it is now it feels like this is the first half of a two cour season stretched way too long. The characters are only now getting the development they needed halfway, or even earlier.
At least they have a good setup for a season three? :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

The worst part is is not that this show is kinda mediocre, it's that there a lot of really really good ideas and episodes in here that show it had the potential to meet if not surpass the quality of season one. Even if they just gave Sekai some character or learn to love Gundam and Gunpla, not just fighting, it would've made the show so much better.
As it is now it feels like this is the first half of a two cour season stretched way too long. The characters are only now getting the development they needed halfway, or even earlier.
At least they have a good setup for a season three? :unsmith:

There's nothing bad about the core concept.

A fighter who is extremely talented but doesn't understand the format, a builder who is standoffish but absurdly talented and a confident motivated leader-type who can pull them together. They have to overcome their various weaknesses and unite to take on strong opponents.

That's a really solid lineup of characters and you could easily do fun writing with that. Sekai's weakness should legitimately be his misunderstanding of Gunpla. He approaches fights the way he does human fights and is weak against enemies who use gimmicks or don't fight in a 'normal' way. Yuuma is the opposite and can understand and see through tricks but isn't as talented a fighter. Fumina isn't as expert as either of them but is imaginative and creative and can do unexpected and silly things in comparison to Yuuma's super-serious high-quality building style.

None of this is a change. It's literally how the characters are presented when the show is trying to push those ideas. It just doesn't try enough.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Why did it have to be another tournament? They already did a tournament, and it was the International Gunpla Battle World cup, it was the much bigger, more important tournament. They would've have to have hit it out of the loving park with characters and plot to make us care as much about the national under-19 Japanese team tournament

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Japans esports scene is effectively none existent, as much as i'd love something like that in gundam form they'd have no idea how to actually write it. You'd have to bring someone from korea for it :v:

They're putting out a Final Fantasy fighting/action game for arcades and it's a 3v3 game. Perhaps that will give a little boost to pro team games over there!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

There's nothing bad about the core concept.

A fighter who is extremely talented but doesn't understand the format, a builder who is standoffish but absurdly talented and a confident motivated leader-type who can pull them together. They have to overcome their various weaknesses and unite to take on strong opponents.

That's a really solid lineup of characters and you could easily do fun writing with that. Sekai's weakness should legitimately be his misunderstanding of Gunpla. He approaches fights the way he does human fights and is weak against enemies who use gimmicks or don't fight in a 'normal' way. Yuuma is the opposite and can understand and see through tricks but isn't as talented a fighter. Fumina isn't as expert as either of them but is imaginative and creative and can do unexpected and silly things in comparison to Yuuma's super-serious high-quality building style.

None of this is a change. It's literally how the characters are presented when the show is trying to push those ideas. It just doesn't try enough.

The infuriating thing is that they already did that one with Reiji and pulled it off infinitely better in an overall similarly sized cast. The difference does appear to be on the creative/writing side of things; whether the cause is time related or conflicting ideas or something else, who knows.

Sekai, as a core concept of a character, is totally fine. He's a totally earnest doofus who has a savant's talent at martial arts but is otherwise pretty dumb and oblivious. The very few times in the show they've shown him flustered outside of a fight(mostly arguing with Yuuma) and the couple of times they've shown how normal people react to his Martial Arts Guy persona(such as when he first met Team Zaku Jobbers) were very entertaining. Play that up. Emphasize how goddamn weird the Kamiki family is; Sekai spent most of his youth quite literally wandering through the mountains in god knows where with another kid and his martial arts teacher; his guardian figure is a Martial Arts Model older sister who repeatedly encourages him to punch the poo poo out of people to understand their feelings. Sekai should come off as a super weird dude whose ideas of "normal" are totally foreign to the actual normal people in the show instead of someone everyone treats as a font of earnest wisdom and crows about how cool he is.

Yuuma has mostly developed a good personality ever since Meijin had a talk with him, and he really should have been like this since almost the beginning. His interactions with characters who don't buy into his cool guy persona are consistently hilarious and it's not a coincidence that some of Sekai's best little moments in the show are when he and Yuuma both lose it and start bickering. Scenes where Yuuma and Sakai are hamming it up with each other are some of the closest to the quality of character writing from S1.

Fumina is, in my opinion, the show's greatest disappointment. After a strong start, she fell out of the plot almost entirely and is still effectively a blank slate of a character who hasn't really been allowed to do anything on her own. She has no real personal interactions detached from Sekai or Yuuma besides Lady, which is a real problem. Fumina's "final boss" rivalry, Shia, is her rival only because both of them vaguely believe that the other is jockeying for Sekai's affection, not because they actually give half a poo poo about each other. I had to go back and check to see if they were even aware of each others' names. Fumina's relationship with Sekai has also had basically no development as well, to the point where I'm pretty sure at this point Shia has had as much or more on-screen one on one interaction time with him. Honestly aside from her super cool gunpla designs she's been as much of a non-entity as Yuuma was for the first half of the show except she never got better.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
You'd think with how big the Gundam Extreme Vs. Tourneys are, they'd at least have that as an idea how team fights work, and those are two v two

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Fumina is, in my opinion, the show's greatest disappointment. After a strong start, she fell out of the plot almost entirely and is still effectively a blank slate of a character who hasn't really been allowed to do anything on her own.

I think that really was driven home in this episode where Sekai and Yuuma were talking about their stuff and Fumina was like "I learned to love Gunpla even more!" Really? That's it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think that really was driven home in this episode where Sekai and Yuuma were talking about their stuff and Fumina was like "I learned to love Gunpla even more!" Really? That's it?

It's clearly foreshadowing her rise to be the next meijin.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

They're putting out a Final Fantasy fighting/action game for arcades and it's a 3v3 game. Perhaps that will give a little boost to pro team games over there!

arcade team games like that are mega popular, they're making an anime next season about a shooter style one that's 4v4 but the names really generic so I already forgot it

Sega has a customizable giant robot one out thats always looked megs cool but they won't bring it over here.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kanos posted:

Fumina's "final boss" rivalry, Shia, is her rival only because both of them vaguely believe that the other is jockeying for Sekai's affection, not because they actually give half a poo poo about each other.

Actually, is there any girl in this show who isn't basically motivated by a crush (ignoring that at least half of those have it on the ol' Dimensional Overlord Squall Thrust)?

Is it just Lady and Mirai? Do they even count as characters instead of motivators for a Try Fighter?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

arcade team games like that are mega popular, they're making an anime next season about a shooter style one that's 4v4 but the names really generic so I already forgot it

Sega has a customizable giant robot one out thats always looked megs cool but they won't bring it over here.

Those games always look like a blast to play, I hope they port the FF game and bring it out over here. If anything in that genre can make it, it'd be a Final Fantasy themed one.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caphi posted:

Actually, is there any girl in this show who isn't basically motivated by a crush (ignoring that at least half of those have it on the ol' Dimensional Overlord Squall Thrust)?

Is it just Lady and Mirai? Do they even count as characters instead of motivators for a Try Fighter?

You can't really count that against Gyanko at this point.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

They probably wont last long in japan either, given that sega is dramatically cutting back their arcade business

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, turn Sekai into the martial arts version of Sousuke Sagara and you're at least halfway to saving the show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

The girl on team Megashiki wasn't motivated by a crush in the slightest, she just happened to fall into one in the process of her normal routine, which is totally fine.

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically, turn Sekai into the martial arts version of Sousuke Sagara and you're at least halfway to saving the show.

This is pretty much what I'm wishing for, yeah. Sekai being an extremely loving bizarre dude would be a great way to make his character interactions appealing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Replace him with Sosuke entirely because I love Sosuke

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Even the most unimportant of characters in FMP (Shinji, Touko, Kaname's dad who doesn't have a single gat dang line) would be more engaging than Sekai which is a huge bummer because he should be really cool.

And Shinji's basically a gundam otaku where gundams are real...on the other hand, gundams are real, and are even more militaristic and murderous

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They probably wont last long in japan either, given that sega is dramatically cutting back their arcade business

The one getting an anime had a sequel and now they're doing a beta for a pc version, so if anything it'll just be a shift in platform.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

boom boom boom posted:

You can't really count that against Gyanko at this point.

I debate this, but it's still the case that all the girls on the cast page apart from Team Tearing Wave Fist are: Gyanko's posse, Shinoda (who only existed to take Mantis out of rivalry), Sakashita (who had the animes for Suga, I believe), Mirai, and Lady.

I mean, there were three girls in Build Fighters and they all got paired off, but at the very least they were characters before they developed relationships that were reasonable (helped, again, by the fact that they weren't all competing for one Shooting Rock Crusher). The fact that Try hasn't had another "do you have one even a girl can build?" is the very least you can say for it.

fake e: okay, Sakashita, but then, I don't think she's even got screentime since her team got knocked out, anyway.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No one is going to end up paired after this because Kuroda is loving tired of people sending him tweets about whats happening with the couples after the season is over.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
Is it just me or did nothing happen this episode?

Granted, the Tryon 3 episode was great, but, feels like this episode was just repeating stuff we already know.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, nothing really happened. Strangely, I'm alright with these walking cliches just shooting the poo poo with each other. The thing is that Try didn't have enough moments like that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Zaft logo
Zaku Warrior pin
Gouf Ignited pin

Did I get them right?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Level Slide posted:

Yeah, nothing really happened. Strangely, I'm alright with these walking cliches just shooting the poo poo with each other. The thing is that Try didn't have enough moments like that.

The thing about Build Fighters as a whole though is the opponents seem way more interesting than the main characters are.

with Try, characters like the main villains and the people who had to lose because plot were infinitely more interesting. Honestly I think the triplets or hell Destiny guy and his sick brother really should of had more character development.

That's why I'm hoping episode 25 is another thing where everyone gets to come fight together as one big team again.

Not gonna lie, back in season 1, I was initially super worried Mao would dissappear from the plot completely after he lost, but they turned that around.

Try is.... atempting to do some stuff like Jun and Minato but I dunno if we're gonna get anything more than them just being cheerleaders for Try Fighters.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Zaft logo
Zaku Warrior pin
Gouf Ignited pin

Did I get them right?
I think the blue one is supposed to be a BuCUE, and the purple one is a DINN.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

That would be kind of hilarious in a way. The executive meddling was so bad, that in order to escape it, they cut out all future plans at all and just made it up as they went.

I think finding out something like that would actually kind of redeem the series for me. (And would also explain the first half's uncanny knack for answering the fandom's biggest complaints just one or two episodes after they pop up.)

It really feels like this, though! The Meijin arc, Junya's arc, characters being introduced and then almost abandoned shortly afterward, the Domon silhouette that never paid off, Sekai learning how to "tune" models from Shia, Fumina's essentially completed character arc (she got to fight in the tournament without losing the first round and then she got to fight her hero), the weird amount of 2-episode fights we had for a little while, and especially the recent fixation with particle supply all reek of a lack of planning. Particle supply never came up as a mechanic before, it's suddenly super dominant during battles, and its dominance is executed sloppily.

Like, GBF had particles as a plot point, but there was a definite progression of discovery and nuance. Also, the particles were never handled as a narrative ammo counter-- particle manipulation goes from people making I-Fields to apparent telekinesis to seeing the particles that form attacks in advance to absorbing energy and using it to power gigantic super weapons that normally were only restricted by time lag. The only times "supply" ever arose as a narrative element were that solid-state weapons had limited ammunition, weapons were destructible and stronger weapons often could destroy their wielders by exploding too close to them, and high-output beam weaponry needed time to charge. These are all coherent rules that were defined early in the show and followed consistently throughout. GBFT has played it fast and loose with things to the point where we're asking the "How do you program an EXAM mode?" question nearly every episode.

Either the show was rushed, made up as it went along, heavily meddled with from upstairs, or a combination of those. There is apparent evidence of each in Try.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I still have no idea what the gently caress "tuning" means

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the blue one is supposed to be a BuCUE, and the purple one is a DINN.

Ah thanks.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

boom boom boom posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress "tuning" means

The build quality of a Gunpla affects its response time and maneuverability in combat, but instead of showing this like Season 1 did with Mr. Ral's Best Mecha Collection Gouf, Try opted to initially use it as a soft-upgrade to the Build Burning and then grind the concept into the dirt by saying that Shia magically improves everything she touches (but not in a way actually demonstrated onscreen).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
apparently it means taking a buffing cloth to everything

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

muike posted:

apparently it means taking a buffing cloth to everything

That's sandpaper, I'm pretty sure. They're smoothing the surfaces down/sanding a bit off to make the joints looser, I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

saying that Shia magically improves everything she touches (but not in a way actually demonstrated onscreen).

The girl in Eden of the East had a similar gimmick that was never explained. Insomuch as it matters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

The build quality of a Gunpla affects its response time and maneuverability in combat, but instead of showing this like Season 1 did with Mr. Ral's Best Mecha Collection Gouf, Try opted to initially use it as a soft-upgrade to the Build Burning and then grind the concept into the dirt by saying that Shia magically improves everything she touches (but not in a way actually demonstrated onscreen).

Remember when she taught Sekai how to paint over damaged parts in like an hour and everyone pissed themselves over how the Build Burning was super duper ultra tuned beyond anything it had been before?

I do feel like the G-Portent has been an acceptable demonstration of her crazy gunpla ability, though not really any moreso than Fumina's wizardry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Shia suffers from the fact that nobody in Build Fighters Try has strengths. They're all sort of generically good at everything. Everyone is presented as just sort of Generically Talented at building and Generically Talented at fighting
insomuch as they're presented with talents at all. They don't seem to have specific strengths or weaknesses.

So Shia is a great builder because she is extremely good at tuning up her robot to absurdly high specs. This just is less impressive from a viewer standpoint because so is Yuuma, so is Wilfried, so is Fumina. Saga and Sekai aren't but still. Even from previously defeated opponents Nemesis is and even goddamn Junya personally tuned up his robot to have Burning Burst mode

In comparison BF classic was better about this.

Mao was an average fighter who got by on his absurd building talent. Fellini was an incredibly talented and clever fighter who used old-school methods and a robot he'd had for years, but lacked Plavsky manipulation. Nils was an all-rounder genius with a samurai fetish and was the best besides Sei at particle manipulation. Aida was of course particle-psychic and a complete novice at building. They were all talented fighters and most of them were talented builders but they had distinctive personalities to their styles.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 19, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think Shia suffers from the fact that nobody in Build Fighters Try has strengths. They're all sort of generically good at everything. Everyone is presented as just sort of Generically Talented at building and Generically Talented at fighting
insomuch as they're presented with talents at all. They don't seem to have specific strengths or weaknesses.

So Shia is a great builder because she is extremely good at tuning up her robot to absurdly high specs. This just is less impressive from a viewer standpoint because so is Yuuma, so is Wilfried, so is Fumina. Saga and Sekai aren't but still. Even from previously defeated opponents Nemesis is and even goddamn Junya personally tuned up his robot to have Burning Burst mode

In comparison BF classic was better about this.

Mao was an average fighter who got by on his absurd building talent. Fellini was an incredibly talented and clever fighter who used old-school methods and a robot he'd had for years, but lacked Plavsky manipulation. Nils was an all-rounder genius with a samurai fetish and was the best besides Sei at particle manipulation. Aida was of course particle-psychic and a complete novice at building. They were all talented fighters and most of them were talented builders but they had distinctive personalities to their styles.

More importantly, an upgrade was an actual physical modification so they could show instead of tell. A big-rear end charging cannon on the Build Strike says a lot more than "hey, Shia, make my Fangs 2% faster".

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Broken Loose posted:

This really sums up my issues with this season. They took the beating heart of the series, gundam geekery, and handwaved it into some bullshit plot glue. If they did it to make a kickass story, that would be one thing. But instead we get a disappointing season with the rare highlight or two.

Can I just get a Tryon 3 show?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sei's dad shows up, and says that he needs to recruit the Try Fighters for his international Gunpla Crime task force.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Green Intern posted:

Sei's dad shows up, and says that he needs to recruit the Try Fighters for his international Gunpla Crime task force.
Then he realizes they have no personality and just recruits the Meijin and Sakai instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

muike posted:

Replace him with Sosuke entirely because I love Sosuke

Not lying, I would pay good money to see Sousuke try to figure out Gunpla and then suddenly Lambda driver things because the Plasky system would let him. Also to watch him treat each gunpla battle with 100% military seriousness.

• Locked thread