Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fucknag posted:

Hmm my batteries keep dying and this ground cable is monkeyfucked into the sheet metal, better replace the alternator and put a capacitor in right guys?

Has he still not fixed that cable? I'm only a few pages into the thread...

HotCanadianChick posted:

This would have been a huge red flag for me keeping me from putting a ring on it.

When I met my wife she at least appreciated a nice car; after teaching her to drive stick in the bimmer, showing her some of the funnier episodes of Top Gear, and letting her do some laps in Gran Turismo 6, she's adamant that we can't own any boring cars and they all have to be stick. Also she has her own helmet for autocross days.

My wife was driving a '79 Celica coupe, 5-speed, that she bought herself, against the wishes of her grandfather (wanted her to Buy American), when I met her. One of the first things I did for her was replace the leaking (inside the car!) clutch master, and remove and clean the carpet that was soaked through with brake fluid.
I really liked that little Toyota. And my wife, obviously. :)

I don't get too much static from her regarding my 5 or 6 RX-7s...

the spyder posted:

Haha, I got my first car at 9. A 25 Model T. The next was a 62 Olds F85 and then a 67 Mustang. It wasn't until my late teens that I got into rotaries. I'll find some pictures.

I didn't actually own a rotary until I was in college, but I had the Minicraft rotary model back in junior high. In between I had a '78 Fiat 128 sedan, '68 El Camino (283/PowerGlide), '78 Chevy Monza, my '70 Cutlass, and '81 Buick Regal. Still have the Cutlass, don't intend to ever sell it, though if someone offered me enough... I'd regret it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

blk posted:

How many cars is too many cars? I'm about to try and justify a potential third purchase (our fourth, combined) to my wife and don't really have anything that could be considered objective justification; just subjective to me. The Saabaru is very practical but I don't have much fun with it on the street; I have to drive excessively fast to enjoy it. I love the Miata on the street, but don't drive it in the winter because I hate the visibility with the top up and don't fit that well under a hardtop, even with foamectomy. Now I'm looking at a 318is as a winter counterpart to the Miata - something i can drive at 8/10s to the grocery store, and I've always wanted to have an older BMW. That makes sense in my mind, but to someone who isn't a car person, I'm sure all they see is wasting time and money (in my circumstances right now, time is a real issue). My wife gets particularly worked up by cars because she doesn't understand them and doesn't want to; she just sees potential moneypits that could blow up and steal your baby at any second. She has never bought or sold a car herself and doesn't understand how easy it is to get into something you're interested in and get out if it doesn't work out.

I, uh. Too many? :confused:

Well right now I have... seven and three halves.

The 5 ton, three MJs (one of which I've never seen in person, need to pick it up soon), the XJ, the Forester, half a 97 XJ for parts, two halves of MJs (both backs, so no it doesn't count as a whole), and the mystery vehicle Tremek picked up for me.

One MJ is going away soon. The forester will probably be sold in a couple months when the new vehicle has proved itself. The half-XJ is getting stripped and scrapped once I use it to testfit an engine swap. One half MJ is turning into a trailer, the other is to fix one of the remaining two MJs. The XJ is getting stripped and scrapped. The mystery vehicle will be the DD. So I guess I'll have four when alls said and done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, I have more cars than Kastein. And I live in a 3-bed end terrace.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The place I'm trying to buy has space for 2-3 cars and a single garage. I was genuinely trying to figure out it parking a landrover on the 45' roof of the garage was allowed.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I was genuinely trying to figure out it parking a landrover on the 45' roof of the garage was allowed.

I think it's encouraged.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

The place I'm trying to buy has space for 2-3 cars and a single garage. I was genuinely trying to figure out it parking a landrover on the 45' roof of the garage was allowed.
If it's not specifically forbidden...

Alternative option:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hmm, what's the cappuccinos wheelbase?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Hmm, what's the cappuccinos wheelbase?
81".

So more than an original Land-Rover...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Damnit, so I couldn't store a project car on top of my daily driver?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
5 tons have 14x7 foot beds, just sayin'. 15x7 if you get the M55A2 instead of the M54A2.

Park a car in it, park it somewhere, you are taking two parking spaces still but it's one vehicle so what are they gonna say?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was thinking of parking a mini on my e46 roof but yeah let me run that part the wifahahahaha

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh and sadly in the land of tea and crumpets I'd need a class C license to buy much bigger than a defender.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Oh and sadly in the land of tea and crumpets I'd need a class C license to buy much bigger than a defender.
Not so! If it's pre-'60, and you don't actually drive it anywhere laden or towing anything, you can have as big a truck as you like on your normal licence.

Cakefool posted:

Damnit, so I couldn't store a project car on top of my daily driver?
Not with that attitude you can't.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

If you got your licence before '96 or something, you already have Class C+E so good for 7.5t.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My 1 year old tabby cat is afraid of the dark. Like, refuses to go into a dark room alone, will come running if you turn off the lights in the basement while he's down there terrified. I have no idea why, he was born in this house and has never really been trapped in a dark place or anything.

Cats be weird and stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Not so! If it's pre-'60, and you don't actually drive it anywhere laden or towing anything, you can have as big a truck as you like on your normal licence.

If you're a farmer, you can get basically anything registered as an "agricultural showpiece" :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

If you're a farmer, you can get basically anything registered as an "agricultural showpiece" :v:
TaxTheWurzels?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Cakefool posted:

I was thinking of parking a mini on my e46 roof but yeah let me run that part the wifahahahaha

Selling point: It's a convertible.

... I really need to fix mine, driving it in the summer was great.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

Interesting. But how can they prove you're not a farmer? :colbert:

I now declare myself a farmer, and will buy something ridiculous and register it as an agricultural showpiece. Maybe a pink Unimog.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am watching real steel and it is a far better movie than it has any right to be.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

You could get a 101 ;) having measured (not yet tried - would need some massive ramps!) my aygo would fit in the back of my 101 but would overhang by a foot or two.

I'm not sure what the weight of a 4x4 pinz is either but I suspect you could get one of then under 3.5t?

And like dave says - pre 60 and you are good!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think they know if you're a farmer based on your taxes. In the US, at least, if you are a farmer and own land or something like that you get a credit. Not 100% sure how it works but I'm sure the UK would know unless you farm chickens in your back yard lol

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress.

I've made 90 transactions on eBay and USPS and this is the first time I've had an issue. It just so happens it's a $100 item I sold on eBay. The tracking hasn't updated since the 7th so I called the last post office it was at in KC. They have a whopping 1 star review on Yelp. Great. They said they can't find it and that it might have been sent back to the Recovery Center I ATL. I am hosed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

HotCanadianChick posted:

When I met my wife she at least appreciated a nice car; after teaching her to drive stick in the bimmer, showing her some of the funnier episodes of Top Gear, and letting her do some laps in Gran Turismo 6, she's adamant that we can't own any boring cars and they all have to be stick. Also she has her own helmet for autocross days.
Ha. Are wife's are pretty similar in that I taught her how to drive stick in a 318i, she loves Top Gear, played Forza with me, but sadly I still owe her the auto crossing (it's really early in the morning on Sundays and are schedules still haven't lined up in 4 years). She daily'd my old Miata for almost 5 years and she loved scaring passengers in corners.

Nodoze posted:

No such thing as too many cars
I started thinning the farm when I had 12 on the premises (including parts cars). I'm down to 6, looking to buy 2 and sell 3 relatively soon.

CommieGIR posted:

My wife doesn't mind my hobbies, as long as I let her be free with hers. Its been a good deal thusfar.
Same, but holy poo poo, who would of known crafting is just as expensive as cars?

How bad are first gen scion xB's?
I thought they were built on the corolla platform but I guess it's based on the echo/yaris. Thinking about picking one up since in the 2 months I've looked, there hasn't been a FWD v50 Volvo manual, even at the dealers, in my price range (and less than 1k miles away). I'm hoping to replace the Volvo 740 and beater 540i with it so I don't feel guilty driving an e28 535i.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Same, but holy poo poo, who would of known crafting is just as expensive as cars?

Seriously. But considering what I spend, I'm okay with it. As long as we're both aware that its a fair trade thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

I am watching real steel and it is a far better movie than it has any right to be.

I legitimately enjoyed that film... It was great!

Also in other news I got chauffeured around in a V6 F-Type this evening at legal high speeds. Pff. And man, that car is nice. It's so loving comfortable and the noise it makes is one of the best noises I've heard from a car in a good while. A lot of cars are loud but this was almost musical, it was just a loving joy to hear. The 'silent' mode makes a fair difference too but why would you ever use that when the car sounds so loving nice? The whole car is just theatre from the moment the door handles pop out to let you in with my favourite bit being the magic air con venting in the centre console... It was one of the test mules with a manual box and a well abused clutch along with slightly squiffy driving dynamics setup "...it sometimes does weird poo poo but it means you can get the back end out easier, have fun!".

Where do I get £70k?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Woo, check for jury duty showed up!

..... I'll try not to spend it all in one place. :toot:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 19, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Woo, new patch for The Crew came out today and they added Circuit specs to the classic muscle cars:

I know what I'm using in every Circuit race from now on :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blk posted:

How many cars is too many cars?
Hard to put a number on it. More of a space and money issue. I'm at 5 (not counting my parts car) at the moment, I can fit 3 in the garage (will be 4 once the lift is in). I'd be happy if it wasn't for my brother and his wife with their 4 cars plus one parts car. As long as you're not parking in the yard or out in the street (assuming neighborhood with garage) go for it. More cars is more fun as long as you keep up on service and enjoy them.

6 hours up and down ladders routing and plugging ethernet cables then a bunch of IB cables. Tomorrow more IB but we might finish up a full day ahead of schedule.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So we have a new GM training at my store (we have a new store opening in May). She's wound up being pretty two faced; nice to your face, talks a ton of poo poo about everyone to the owners.

Walked out the back door today after she'd gone to an office supply store. Saw her parked in the lot with a cop behind her. Turns out she blasted through a school zone doing 45 (which is already over the speed limit outside of school zone hours). All I could do was laugh my rear end off when she asked "so that's like a $75 ticket right?". No... not.even.close, it'll be closer to $250-300, and only if they wrote it for <25 over.. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. :haw: Being 25 over, she might be facing a lot worse than an easy ticket; she should consider herself lucky she didn't get silver bracelets.

She was bitching that she didn't see any flashing lights. I had the joy of informing her that Texas doesn't require flashers for school zones (she was moved here from another state by the owners).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 19, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A few years ago my dad had some paintwork done at his place to one of his antique camper trailers. The (shady) auto painter left his 5hp 60gal CH compressor to "pick it up later". He then disappeared for awhile, apparently got in trouble with the law, and faded away. My dad stuck the compressor under a tarp out in the back, told the guy a year later that he still had it but would be charging storage fees on pickup if it stuck around longer, and never heard back. I had forgotten all about it, until my dumb Jeep engine decided to need a ton of work and I started apprehensively thinking about ways to expedite it.

Dragged it out today, cleaned it up, changed the oil/checked the belt and filter, and bam - motherfucking air tools here I come!!!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Re: to many cars.

4 right now... But my next thing is going to b a flip. I have been trolling the ads for a Honda or a Toyota 4 door, but I need to really keep a couple thousand cash in the house and run out and buy it the minute I find it.

I'd love to flip a BMW/Mercedes but I don't think I could move it quickly. Maybe a pick up might be a quick sell too, ranger or a nice half ton.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aaaaand I'm broke.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're a mad man, those aren't even on sale right now!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Powershift posted:

You're a mad man, those aren't even on sale right now!

Thankfully Costco has a great price matching policy. Haha.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

the spyder posted:

Haha, I got my first car at 9. A 25 Model T.
I'm sorry
what

You gotta tell that story.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

the spyder posted:

Aaaaand I'm broke.

I grabbed a few of them a couple months back. Really nice lights with good output, but the color temperature is too warm for my liking. :(

I'm using one hooked up as the light for each of the garage door openers, though, and they work great for that. Just sucks when I turn on the florescents and the LEDs look yellow.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

some texas redneck posted:

Woo, check for jury duty showed up!

..... I'll try not to spend it all in one place. :toot:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the spyder posted:

Aaaaand I'm broke.

:stare:

Aren't those like 40-50 bucks a pop?

Adbot