Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Hey Faustus, didn't realise you had your own pedal company

http://www.electrofaustus.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fair Hallion posted:

Hey Faustus, didn't realise you had your own pedal company

http://www.electrofaustus.com/
I'm too old to be electrified, I run off steam and alcohol.

Also, all my pedals would make you wank like Steve Vai or whatever. My pedal would be called, "Soulless."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
No monkey grip on pedal, it is not true faustus.

I kid faustus

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I read the descriptions on all of the electrofaustus pedals and I don't know what a single loving one of them is for

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

I read the descriptions on all of the electrofaustus pedals and I don't know what a single loving one of them is for

Paging agreed to the thread. Please come in, agreed. Educate us. (Or is agreed not in the review biz anymore?)

P.S. unlawful soup you have a hilarious username and your post made me laugh. I need to design and print out monkey-grip stickers.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

ZombieParts posted:

Weird/Unusual stuff. ElectroFaustus pedals are mostly mechanical noise generators, funky feedback loops or piezo based things that you kick and they make noise. Some are intended to be instrument......things in their own right, only a few of them are what you'd remotely consider a traditional effects pedal.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
http://www.electrofaustus.com/ef110-blackfly/

lmao what the gently caress

springs are used in reverb right just do that!!!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

shiksa posted:

Sounds like a good sniper scene from a Vietnam movie.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

shiksa posted:

$150?! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?

I am, and always have been, in the wrong business.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

woodch posted:

$150?! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?

I am, and always have been, in the wrong business.

It's the whipping boy for this sort of thing, but well, Super Hard On. Beautiful sounding clean boost, the cheaper, not-hand-painted model retails for about $170, and I just built myself one for less than $30. And the only reason it went that high was because I sprang for a pre-drilled enclosure [my drill press is buried] with a fancy metal-flake powder-coat job. The enclosure and foot-switch alone for most pedals on the market outweigh the cost of the actual electronics inside.

That said, the labor of making a handmade pedal is what you're largely paying for with the boutique stuff. It's not particularly hard, but it does take a good bit of time and know how to produce a product that will consistently perform after being kicked around night after night. But still, yeah, there is crazy markup in the guitar world, especially when it comes to pedals.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

ZombieParts posted:

What, you don't just intuitively know what a box with nine unlabelled knobs and seven unlabelled switches does?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuNWD2uevQ

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is it just me, or did the old BOSS pedals have clicky actuation?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Actuary X posted:

What, you don't just intuitively know what a box with nine unlabelled knobs and seven unlabelled switches does?!

Control of 6 oscillators! Have fun trying to figure out how to control them!

Agrinja posted:

It's the whipping boy for this sort of thing, but well, Super Hard On. Beautiful sounding clean boost, the cheaper, not-hand-painted model retails for about $170, and I just built myself one for less than $30. And the only reason it went that high was because I sprang for a pre-drilled enclosure [my drill press is buried] with a fancy metal-flake powder-coat job. The enclosure and foot-switch alone for most pedals on the market outweigh the cost of the actual electronics inside.

That said, the labor of making a handmade pedal is what you're largely paying for with the boutique stuff. It's not particularly hard, but it does take a good bit of time and know how to produce a product that will consistently perform after being kicked around night after night. But still, yeah, there is crazy markup in the guitar world, especially when it comes to pedals.

I was one of the people talking/making SHO clones earlier, but got caught up in other projects so never got time to start making any for others. I did make a few of the circuits on a small veroboard layout that I think are sitting around if anyone wants them. Hell, I could even throw kits together cheap. I'm actually about to get rid of my SHO clone and stick the circuit in my RAT clone, and rehouse the whole thing with 2 switches.

But, I'm currently working on modifying the hell out of a guitar to have tone generation and a shitload of sensors to pull off some interesting effects. I TA a class where students build weird poo poo like that, and I'm trying to get it together quick before I send my resume off to a certain music gaming company. That guitar is going to end up ugly as hell and I'll be posting pics once it starts getting off the ground.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Actuary X posted:

I'm pretty sure half of the Eurorack modules available now are just noise generators with randomly labelled ins, outs and switches.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I already posted this in the effects thread, and I'm uncertain if this qualifies as stupid music poo poo or stupidly awesome music poo poo. I'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Schpyder posted:

I already posted this in the effects thread, and I'm uncertain if this qualifies as stupid music poo poo or stupidly awesome music poo poo. I'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

loving owns!

Agrinja posted:

Except for delays I would never spend more than $200 on any pedal basically ever.

Speaking of overpriced boutique pedals, $470 for a loving Tremolo

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

booshi posted:

But, I'm currently working on modifying the hell out of a guitar to have tone generation and a shitload of sensors to pull off some interesting effects

Here's an idea I had:
Hook up a strain gauge to a pad mounted on the back and connect it to an onboard wah. You can find strain gauges in any cheap digital scale. Then you can pelvic thrust your way to funk street.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

crashdome posted:

Here's an idea I had:
Hook up a strain gauge to a pad mounted on the back and connect it to an onboard wah. You can find strain gauges in any cheap digital scale. Then you can pelvic thrust your way to funk street.

Go analog like Here Come the Mummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnFDaZ4WXE

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

A Winner is Jew posted:

Except for delays I would never spend more than $200 on any pedal basically ever.

I had a friend quit his day job to open a boutique pedal business. He created a survey for all the local musicians and got pretty upset when he discovered that, even among his friends, no one would pay ungodly amounts of money for what was a either a clone of something that someone already did or sounded identical (or sometimes worse) than a store-bought pedal.

"Hand-wired custom boutique" doesn't mean poo poo when your fuzz box is an exact copy of the schematic found in Craig Anderton's "Projects for Guitarists" and sounds like a cheap Arion stomp box.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're buying a clone for more than $80 you're getting ripped off, moreso if the builder is inexperienced at soldering and leaves the insides looking like a rats nest.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I agree with that, but I did spend more than that on my Guyatone Ultron pedal ( a simple envelope filter would have suited me better).

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're buying a clone for more than $80 you're getting ripped off, moreso if the builder is inexperienced at soldering and leaves the insides looking like a rats nest.

Before he quit his job we was in the aerospace/defense industry as an engineer. He made me a Mu-Tron Octave Divider clone that is very well constructed, if a bit touchy. Fucker doesn't track for poo poo if it even THINKS there's more than one note sounding.

The issue was that he thought he should be getting top dollar for something hand made, even though it offered nothing over something mass produced. He made an overdrive pedal I conjunction with a well known guitar tech in the area that a lot of people liked, but no one bought because $300+ is a ridiculous price to pay for an overdrive pedal.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I sort of lucked into a trade that included a PRS SE Custom 24. I've never liked their looks. The same trade brought in a pair of Zakk Wylde EMG pups.

After a restring and setup, I still hate the way it looks. But damnit, this guitar plays and sounds killer. So I'm keeping it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Harry in Rio posted:

I sort of lucked into a trade that included a PRS SE Custom 24. I've never liked their looks. The same trade brought in a pair of Zakk Wylde EMG pups.

After a restring and setup, I still hate the way it looks. But damnit, this guitar plays and sounds killer. So I'm keeping it.

What is with those pickup-covers? Eeww

If you keep playing that you'll catch the Bluesdad. :)

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

He's already dead

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Harry in Rio posted:

All I ask, and I really mean *all* is that you learn the major pentatonic in case you're playing the minor blue-box over major chord progressions. It's the Cardinal Sin of BluesDad-ism.
If you don't have this problem, pass it forward. Thanks and God Bless.

If you really want to transcend: Dominant Pentatonic.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Haha, I loving hate the blues. I'm using this abortion to bend time and space.

Question, does one have to be a dad to be a blues dad?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Harry in Rio posted:

Question, does one have to be a dad to be a blues dad?

It's not true bluesdad if you can't embarrass any offspring with your lovely pentatonic noodling. And enrage a spouse with the amount of money you spent, for no real gain in the quality of music produced.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Pondex posted:

It's not true bluesdad if you can't embarrass any offspring with your lovely pentatonic noodling. And enrage a spouse with the amount of money you spent, for no real gain in the quality of music produced.

man I'm fuckin relieved let me tell you how bluesy that makes me feel, I'm going to talk like a 70 year old alcoholic black man from Mississippi

do I look dapper in my bluesdad hat?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

your no lee ritenour

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that guitar is cool because i would play lots of metal on it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

those stupid loving birds god drat i hate prs

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's ok the SE Paul Allender has bats instead of birds. Also a custom strat style 6 point trem with adjustable saddles so you can fix intonation issues.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Actuary X posted:

I agree with that, but I did spend more than that on my Guyatone Ultron pedal ( a simple envelope filter would have suited me better).

The only two non delay pedals I would go above $200 on is the Pitch Bay and Four Eye's, and they're both only $225, and I think they're both worth it for what they bring.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
1.) lolololol at spending huge money on pedals, doubly so clones. The pedal market seems oversaturated as it is, that guy shouldn't have quit his day job literally.

2.) That PRS is quite nice, bluesdad be damned.

3.) I like the birds. :(

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Duck hunt bird inlay with the laughing dog at fret 21,22, and 23

...and now I must shower.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hnnngggg!

I have the chance to buy a Burns Marquee Pro for £395. Brand new, only ever played in the shop for short spurts. The Pro models I've found after some digging go for about £550 to £606 online. Should I do it?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
If I ever had a steampunk guitar I would require that they made the inside wiring equally steampunk to complete the illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Weird BIAS posted:

If I ever had a steampunk guitar I would require that they made the inside wiring equally steampunk to complete the illusion.

Yeah, why even have those little keys if you're just gunna use tone dials anyway?

• Locked thread