Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah it just sucks that this is the end of Geoff Johns superman run. He gets him. This new development also looks to be short for the world, as I like the idea of Jimmy being the only person who knows Clark is Superman.

I would be sad but I am so excited to see what Yang does with a real-rear end superhero book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

I would be sad but I am so excited to see what Yang does with a real-rear end superhero book.

Oh yeah hopefully we can keep up having three awesome super books.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Skipped some pages, so I'm sorry if this was already addressed, but I need everyone to post their favorite Takion covers ASAP. Here's mine:

God drat it, people, I need this. Here's my second-favorite, to help keep things moving:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Always beating up JLParticle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Discussing this purely as a piece of art: I love that if you follow the implied motion in the details, Jason is pulling her bosom directly into his face.

"Hey flying guys, let's leave those non-flying losers on the ground and go be awesome fliers! And no Arthur, pole-vaulting off your trident doesn't count, stop trying."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, wait... what the gently caress is Aquaman doing there? He looks like he's falling over and the rest of the League are either too busy to notice, or just dicks.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Gaz-L posted:

just dicks.

I think we all know this is the right answer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The last issue of Outlaws was kind of disappointing. The art was even worse then usual and the solution felt very contrived. Still hype for Red Hood/Arsenal, though.

Superman was nice, but it's art was really, really bringing it down, mostly with the faces.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

The last issue of Outlaws was kind of disappointing. The art was even worse then usual and the solution felt very contrived. Still hype for Red Hood/Arsenal, though.

The solution would've always been somewhat contrived due space constraints, but still, everything that happened was seeded through the story avoiding a blatant use of deus ex machina (the closer is Roy's tank but well, that was tech meant to conquer a planet full of metas)

We finally got a clear answer about Kom's actions, Crux playing such a key role on the end more than makes up for his return (and is consistent with the skills he was depicted to own). The tone is also what one would expected of this "road movie" starring superheroes.

Every loose end present on the whole run was closed with a neat bow and we got some really great moments that showcase the Outlaws' grow into better people.

I really, really hope that Palmiotti and Conner at least acknowledge the events on Starfire, the story of Roy and Kori was fascinating to behold.

On other board someone proposed this intriguing idea about Jason's evolution as character

quote:

I can't believe just how like '90s Image or Wildstormy it feels. This is surprisingly appropriate for a book featuring Jason Todd. If you imagine that he survives his character personality change at the hands of Starlin in '88 and keeps going the "bad boy" route into the extreme '90s, and to get away from that LAME OLD WHOLESOME Titans they launch "X-TREME TITANS", this is almost exactly how that would've rolled. So it's an odd and anachronistic scenario that it comes into existence nowadays.

But I like it. Because it's surprisingly appropriate as a follow-up to Morrison's short Red Hood thesis with its post-80s meta-commentary and critique of Punisher-type characters. It's like Jason learned his lesson about being a "Punisher" and lightened up ... and went from late-80s grim n gritty to high-90s extremely radical. The character concept itself, revived by Winick, is sort of evolving making up for lost time, as Jason matures in-story from "I'm all dark now" to "I'll do a better job than these HEROES" to "Hey, ugly, we're gonna save the planet!" to whatever's next but hopefully looks a lot like the late-90s.

Certainly an interesting reading and one that I can find myself agreeing with.

In the end, these final pages capture what RHATO was all about :

Friendship, forgiveness and hope for a better future.

Godspeed Outlaws. It was a hell of a ride :unsmith:

The art did suck a little though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It ended like it lived, really generic and kind of dumb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The solution would've always been somewhat contrived due space constraints
Yeah, I was really worried about that going in, can't introduce a space army and a Superman level threat in the last pages of the penultimate issue of a low powered team like Outlaws and expect it to be resolved in a satisfying manner.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The last panel was really, really nice. Well, the Jason on the right there looks like poo poo, but otherwise.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Squizzle posted:

God drat it, people, I need this. Here's my second-favorite, to help keep things moving:

Tell me more about this "Takion."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Codependent Poster posted:

JLtriangle

JLrecycle

JLGladiator
Justice League Delta. Which almost works actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So now they're a super frat?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I hope Batman lets them use his lawyers to do damage control.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Bat-chugging

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's about time Chuck Norris joined the Justice League.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

It's about time Chuck Norris joined the Justice League.

If he did I would hope that Batman one-punches him in the face.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I hope Batman lets them use his lawyers to do damage control.

Lawyers for what they already let in a chick and the black guy. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I would love to see a Justice League Initiation Week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Pledges have to clean Aquaman's habitat. Ever clean a fish tank? It's like that times 10,000.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

That issue of Morrison's JLA where they hold open tryouts, but as a frat rush.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Oh god the new Superman costume is starting to make sense

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The solution would've always been somewhat contrived due space constraints, but still, everything that happened was seeded through the story avoiding a blatant use of deus ex machina (the closer is Roy's tank but well, that was tech meant to conquer a planet full of metas)

We finally got a clear answer about Kom's actions, Crux playing such a key role on the end more than makes up for his return (and is consistent with the skills he was depicted to own). The tone is also what one would expected of this "road movie" starring superheroes.

Every loose end present on the whole run was closed with a neat bow and we got some really great moments that showcase the Outlaws' grow into better people.

I really, really hope that Palmiotti and Conner at least acknowledge the events on Starfire, the story of Roy and Kori was fascinating to behold.

On other board someone proposed this intriguing idea about Jason's evolution as character

Certainly an interesting reading and one that I can find myself agreeing with.

"If there's anything I can do etc." Touching words indeed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are her lips naturally purple or is that makeup.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I just finished rereading Morrison's Batman run and I'm just now seeing the impact New 52 had on his run. I hadn't realized that Dick was still Batman right up until the end, and it is such a shame that it didn't survive. I really hope him and Damien get to team up maybe even as Batman and Robin now that they are going to play it a little looser on continuity. God why couldn't they just let him do his final issues out of continuity.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

God why couldn't they just let him do his final issues out of continuity.
The saddest high-five.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I don't really see how nu52 derailed Morrison's Batman plans or prevented Dick/Damian team ups when the basis was "kill this kid to show Mommy and Daddy how bad their fighting is".

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

I don't really see how nu52 derailed Morrison's Batman plans or prevented Dick/Damian team ups when the basis was "kill this kid to show Mommy and Daddy how bad their fighting is".

It didn't derail the story as far as we know, but you lost all the Batgirls along with Dick as Batman. Why would Robin team with with Nightwing?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Senor Candle posted:

It didn't derail the story as far as we know, but you lost all the Batgirls along with Dick as Batman. Why would Robin team with with Nightwing?

Well my point was Robin couldn't team up with anyone regardless of the nu52 as Morrison was always going to kill him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Well my point was Robin couldn't team up with anyone regardless of the nu52 as Morrison was always going to kill him.

He was never going to stay dead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh god the new Superman costume is starting to make sense

Looks like they really want to cast Chris Evans in the next Superman movie.

edit: Context. Here is Evans in Snowpiercer

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, we know he can do all-American wholesome hero! :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I just finished rereading Morrison's Batman run and I'm just now seeing the impact New 52 had on his run. I hadn't realized that Dick was still Batman right up until the end, and it is such a shame that it didn't survive. I really hope him and Damien get to team up maybe even as Batman and Robin now that they are going to play it a little looser on continuity. God why couldn't they just let him do his final issues out of continuity.

Huh? He wasn't Batman in Incorporated Vol. 2. He was Nightwing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh? He wasn't Batman in Incorporated Vol. 2. He was Nightwing.

I meant right up until the New 52 happened

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you read the Batman Inc Special? Morry wasn't involved, but I remember that being a bit of fun. There's a Batcow adventure.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

I am pretty sure that it still would have had Bruce and Damien teaming up as Talia was always the head of Leviathan, and having Dick in the Batman role would make no sense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that it still would have had Bruce and Damien teaming up as Talia was always the head of Leviathan, and having Dick in the Batman role would make no sense.

It would make as much sense as it did the rest of the time he was Batman. He was Batman specifically in Gotham, Bruce was everywhere else. Since Bruce had come back there had been some real tension between him and Damien when they were working. So much so that he basically assigned him to team up with Dick.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did you read the Batman Inc Special? Morry wasn't involved, but I remember that being a bit of fun. There's a Batcow adventure.

Yeah! I've got the whole thing in trades now but I read that when it came out too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Well, we know he can do all-American wholesome hero! :v:

And now he can play one again: Clark "The SuperMan" Kent, the world's greatest underground bareknuckle boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I dropped pretty much every DC book like a rock several years ago and those Superman: Domestic Violence edition teaser images had me deciding to steer clear of DC for this dumb reboot too but uh

Is that a loving Batman Beyond x KAMANDI: THE LAST BOY ON EARTH book? Because I'm vigorously mashing fistfuls of dollars into my keyboard.

• Locked thread