Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

codenameFANGIO posted:

It has set levels. With endings. They end.

Holy poo poo, who really cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Holy poo poo, who really cares?

You're upset because you are wrong and dumb.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not upset and I dont think I'm wrong, but I am dumb.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The sheer terror over mobile games is amusing. "Nintendo games on smartphones = pay $.99 for Mario to jump higher!" People's brains simply will not accept the concept of Nintendo releasing cute Game & Watch Gallery minigames for a few bucks.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Toady posted:

The sheer terror over mobile games is amusing. "Nintendo games on smartphones = pay $.99 for Mario to jump higher!" People's brains simply will not accept the concept of Nintendo releasing cute Game & Watch Gallery minigames for a few bucks.

Maybe those are just bad easy jokes and not serious industry analysis.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"According to a statement released by the companies today, new Nintendo IP will be developed for smart devices and specifically optimized for this platform."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/17/8230521/nintendo-mobile-games-development-dena-ios

Although the article also says current Nintendo IP, so I don't know what is up with that conflicting bit of information.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toady posted:

yes, because clearly nintendo spent nearly $200 million to buy 10% of a leading mobile developer and will work with them to create an all encompassing user membership system that will span all devices so that they can release game and watch minigames for a few bucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendo's most likely strategy will be to use the mobile platform in a way that promotes the Wii U and 3DS. Create games that are new IP's and current IP's that make you want to look more into Nintendo's other products.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When asked about the pay models, Iwata said that they don't want to hurt perception of their IPs, and that they're more focused on attracting an audience than maximizing profit, which all reads to me like they want to avoid the more depraved pay-to-win stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Animal Crossing on mobile. :getin: It won't happen though.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

yes, because clearly nintendo spent nearly $200 million to buy 10% of a leading mobile developer and will work with them to create an all encompassing user membership system that will span all devices so that they can release game and watch minigames for a few bucks.

A universal account system doesn't necessitate or imply a "pay to win" business model. I picture Nintendo-themed minigames that unlock collectibles and other features on their primary platforms.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some troubling things going on at Nintendo of America today, Bowser hacked their Twitter account

Hopefully no one gets hurt

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toady posted:

People's brains simply will not accept the concept of Nintendo releasing cute Game & Watch Gallery minigames for a few bucks.

They should make Game & Watch games for the Apple Watch if that ends up being popular.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 19m19 minutes ago
Let’s see here. *searches for Twitter handles with the name Mario in them* *unfollows* MUAHAHAHA! THE POWER IS MINE! #BowserParty

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Guys I can't lie, this is really gettin me engaged with the #Nintendo brand

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toady posted:

A universal account system doesn't necessitate or imply a "pay to win" business model. I picture Nintendo-themed minigames that unlock collectibles and other features on their primary platforms.

You are again listing things that do not require $200 million investments with leading pay to win mobile developers to create. Even Sony has, by themselves, created a bunch of mobile minigames that unlock things for their primary platforms, and they are Sony.

I'm not even saying they are going straight to pay to win garbage and you will be paying to break blocks in Mario, but Nintendo is not half assing this.

Also, relevant: http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/how-japans-social-game-regulations-will-impact-gree-dena-and-the-u-s/524922

edit: though I will say it does sound like Nintendo is just using them for infrastructure and backend stuff, which is a smart move. I've always wondered why Sony just didn't get Google or Amazon to run PSN, since they don't really have a clue what they are doing.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any legit reviews on MP10 yet, other than a "I played MP9 and saw a demo at E3 so let me tell you"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any legit reviews on MP10 yet, other than a "I played MP9 and saw a demo at E3 so let me tell you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf6SHZho9JQ

Sounds like 9 with lame extra modes.:(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Some troubling things going on at Nintendo of America today, Bowser hacked their Twitter account

Hopefully no one gets hurt

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 19m19 minutes ago
Let’s see here. *searches for Twitter handles with the name Mario in them* *unfollows* MUAHAHAHA! THE POWER IS MINE! #BowserParty

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/photos/pb.119240841493711.-2207520000.1426719720./802136183204170/?type=1&theater

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I was in Gamestop today and they had one of those advertisements playing over the speaker.

"Master Chief is the most recognizable character in gaming..." :suicide:

Now, don't get me wrong, he is popular amongst people who play Halo, but Master Chief has been in ten video games at best. Mario has been in at least 200 video games.

I really want to know what source (if any) they are using to justify Master Chief being more recognizable than Mario, Pacman, or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ok, back to Wii U talk. I actually had my Wii U hard lock on me last night. That might be the first time it has done that. I was playing Hyrule Warriors and then the Wii U (or the TV?) made a weird sound and the screen froze and the controller no longer responded. Thankfully holding the power button down for 4 seconds turned it off.

I've got to give Nintendo credit. They really do QA the wazoo out of their stuff. I can count the times Nintendo software has "crashed" on me using one hand and I've been playing all my life.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

I was in Gamestop today and they had one of those advertisements playing over the speaker.

"Master Chief is the most recognizable character in gaming..." :suicide:

Now, don't get me wrong, he is popular amongst people who play Halo, but Master Chief has been in ten video games at best. Mario has been in at least 200 video games.

I really want to know what source (if any) they are using to justify Master Chief being more recognizable than Mario, Pacman, or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sounds like GameStop's marketing team is doing their job right then

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zolthorg posted:

They're all equally easy and several of the games cost like $10-15 instead of smash bros' $50

I think a used copy of it at Gamestop is like $25, I just bought it from there long enough to apply the exploit then returned it the next day since they have that "7 day no questions asked" window.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

Square is just throwing up SNES and DS ports for the most part aren't they?

"Throwing up" is an apt way of putting it, since their ports look and play like vomit. The Final Fantasy ports I've played have been godawful and their port of Secret of Mana plays and controls worse than playing the rom through an SNES emulator on the same hardware.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

God dammit

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus this sounds like a piece of poo poo and there's a wave of amiibos for this? Ahahahah.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mario Party has been kinda bad for a long time

You can still have fun with them if you're playing with friends but they're really not very good games

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Mario Party has been kinda bad for a long time

You can still have fun with them if you're playing with friends but they're really not very good games

2 and 5 were pretty good. All of them desperately need online play, though. That is, official online play.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Jesus this sounds like a piece of poo poo and there's a wave of amiibos for this? Ahahahah.

The amiibo wave is not exclusively for MP10, they are from the Super Mario series of amiibos which presumably will get an endless number of waves of figures.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could we just get a new Fortune Street already?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I actually like that the Amiibo boards are more linear with no item shops because I liked the core gameplay concept of the original classic Mario parties, collect coins and but stars, but all the choices made every turn take for loving ever.

What the gently caress is with scanning the Amiibo every turn though? Making sure you didn't borrow one and immediately take it to your friends house before returning home? Sounds like some bullshit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mario Party 10 doesn't look very good but NoA's twitter is very good

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
So, whats the turn around for Nintendo to replace a refurbished Wii U thats getting disc read errors 1 day in?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The more positive reviews of MP10 say that the minigames are great and the car from MP9 was cool so I bet MP10 will be fun, having friends over release day to confirm fun

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The minigames from 9 were fun. The problem is that you barely got to play any of them, and had to deal with the boring car stuff most of the time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Neo Rasa posted:

Apple started the AppStore specifically because they saw the Nintendo potential along with the massive $$$$ Wii was pulling in with really simple games.

Horse poo poo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm just waiting for the Mario Party HD Pack.

Any year now...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nope, the entire AppStore was initially built around the concept of "APPLE+VIDEO GAMES=$$$"

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

You nerds are all super loving stupid. NX = Nintendo seX, therefore Nintendo is getting back into the love hotel business, holy poo poo why is this so hard for some people.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

bobby2times posted:

So, whats the turn around for Nintendo to replace a refurbished Wii U thats getting disc read errors 1 day in?

Pretty good, because the refurbished Wii Us have a year-long warranty. Contact them about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Neo Rasa posted:

Nope, the entire AppStore was initially built around the concept of "APPLE+VIDEO GAMES=$$$"

Fake

• Locked thread