Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Constantly analyzing everything is exactly like dissecting a puppy. Sure, you find out what makes it tick, but it don't tick too good afterwards.

Or it's like dissecting a candy, where you figure out what ingredients made you like it but you still get to eat it afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OB_Juan posted:

C) Mack and Hunter's scuffle was caught on camera, Coulson went fishing to see if anyone else was in on it, given recent events.

This one is the least likely. His reaction when Bobbi said Hunter ran off, and Mack went to bring him back showed he had no idea Mack was involved. Up until that point, he probably thought it was Hunter and Bobbi. Now, he's probably thinking it's Hunter, Bobbi, and Mack.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, quick question: Are there any gif wizards who can make Muad'dad's eye twitch or something in this?

I really want to update my av to it, but it needs something more.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, quick question: Are there any gif wizards who can make Muad'dad's eye twitch or something in this?

I really want to update my av to it, but it needs something more.

Well, I did make this:

If someone could avatar-size it it might work.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Great episode all around. All the complainers are wrong. hth

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Here you go!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

greatn posted:

She's a tenured and published professor of American literary theory, and she IS fun at parties!

I see your wife's point and enjoy you pointing it out in the thread

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know why we're using spoiler tags,

I used spoilers because I was trying to avoid discussing preview poo poo in case someone wanted to avoid it. V :) V

Phylodox posted:

Well, I did make this:

This is great. You should have a variant where he just stands there quaking with rage.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

greatn posted:

Women aren't allowed to have an outlet or external display of their feelings, power, or rage, so they focus it internally and end up harming themselves emotionally or in this case physically.

It's an interesting read on the character, and I can definitely see the show exploring that idea more in earnest, if only through subtext (Skye/Daisy is a character whose literal identity is subject to the competing whims of male authority figures. So, a "true" self that's beyond either of them, and her internal struggle to embrace or contain it, seems totally appropriate.)

As other Marvel characters go, Rogue is about a similar sort of thought: internalized shame and self-loathing over her body, and the need to contain and control it out of fear of its capacity for (sexually-coded) corruption or destruction. The X-Men films take the idea and run with it, using Rogue and her abilities as metaphors for sexual impurity, body dysmorphia, HIV...even abortion in the lovely third one.

I'd argue that Jean Grey, as Phoenix, is another character with a similar subtext of contained femininity. My point is, it makes sense AoS might explore the idea, because it's all over other female superhero narratives.

"I can tell you what topic this show by one of the Whedons *isn't* about : feminism!"

Xealot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 19, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

Or it's like dissecting a candy, where you figure out what ingredients made you like it but you still get to eat it afterwards.

Or it's like literary theory, which isn't like that at all.

Xealot posted:

"I can tell you what topic this show by one of the Whedons *isn't* about : feminism!"

It's a valid reading kinda but I think in this specific instance it's a bit overly specific and not exactly the best explanation for what's going on there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'One of the Whedons' never means 'the Whedon you give a poo poo about'.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

By which I mean Tom Whedon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know there's the whole Death of the Author thing, but I still think a line needs to be drawn between "it can be viewed as X' and "it is intended to be viewed as X".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bruceski posted:

I know there's the whole Death of the Author thing, but I still think a line needs to be drawn between "it can be viewed as X' and "it is intended to be viewed as X".

I don't disagree. I just mean that, this level of feminist discourse isn't out of left field for the people involved on AoS. Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen were both staff writers for Dollhouse, at the least. They'd be more interested in it than most showrunners, probably.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah this isn't some SMG level of deconstruction, it's pretty basic symbolism.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I didn't watch the teaser for next week, but they have to tell us what the hell they're talking about with "the real SHIELD" or whatever, right? It could be anything :ohdear:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

greatn posted:

Its kinda a pretty seperate tangent from 'basic symbolism'. The basic symbolism is just straight she is hurting herself by not confronting her problems, just like everyone. I never really got that shes some representation of a womans struggle, that doesn't really hit anything in her character that would lead me to that point. It's a bit of a leap but not super crazy everyone sees things through their own experiences and all that.

EDIT: words are hard.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

myron cope posted:

I didn't watch the teaser for next week, but they have to tell us what the hell they're talking about with "the real SHIELD" or whatever, right? It could be anything :ohdear:

My guess: Maria Hill.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xtanstic posted:

This is great. You should have a variant where he just stands there quaking with rage.

Okay.

I'm not very good at optimizing it or whatever, so the file size is probably huge.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Yessssssss. They're going full Hyde with Hyde. And he mentioned he's still "tinkering with his formula," he's gonna HulkHyde out on everyone at some point.

lovin this poo poo, haters vacate

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope he just gets super strong and maybe a bit veiny at the most. I don't believe they could make him do proper hulk-out without it looking dumb and subtractng from the actor's performance.

greatn posted:

If you accept suppressing emotions and deflecting as a uniquely or even typically female issue, I suppose. I don't, though. That poo poo's everywhere.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Sharmat posted:

I hope he just gets super strong and maybe a bit veiny at the most. I don't believe they could make him do proper hulk-out without it looking dumb and subtractng from the actor's performance.

If you accept suppressing emotions and deflecting as a uniquely or even typically female issue, I suppose. I don't, though. That poo poo's everywhere.

Oh come now, who ever heard of a man being told not to be emotionally open and expressive, or to just shove it down deeper. Don't be absurd. What do you think the phrase "Be A Man" even means?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dan Didio posted:

'One of the Whedons' never means 'the Whedon you give a poo poo about'.

If you can't have the Whedon you tolerate, tolerate the Whedon you're with.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

myron cope posted:

There's a remake of FX's The Shield, and Mac and Bobbi are actors undercover as world police cops to get a better understanding of their roles. They just brought Hunter to the set where they're going to try and make him Union. Next episode guest stars Michael Chiklis

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Favorite part was Cal getting mega-butthurt when No Eyes called him a science experiment and told him to leave

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Favorite part was Cal getting mega-butthurt when No Eyes called him a science experiment and told him to leave

I can't believe they passed up the opportunity to have him walk away to sad Hulk music.

I mean I know it's thematically inappropriate but come on.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Inkspot posted:

If you can't have the Whedon you tolerate, tolerate the Whedon you're with.

Or don't (refrain)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
You know, there being a second SHIELD would actually explain what Hawkeye and Black Widow's statuses are now. I mean, yeah, they're Avengers as well, but do they still answer to Fury on any level?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Did I miss some after credits section or something? I saw it end on the double super secret SHIELD reveal and don't remember Reader/no-eyes guy being in the episode aside from when he dropped by to pick up Cal from the football field.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

VodeAndreas posted:

Did I miss some after credits section or something? I saw it end on the double super secret SHIELD reveal and don't remember Reader/no-eyes guy being in the episode aside from when he dropped by to pick up Cal from the football field.

It seems like you did miss a scene at the very end. Reader (I think that's his name? Blind Nightcrawler with the fun teleportation SFX) comes into a room that's been torn to poo poo where Cal is being kept, asks him if he's done, then tells him that he's being annoying and drawing too much attention when Cal asks why the hell they dragged him off instead of taking Skye to help her out. Also explicitly calls him out as a science experiment and not an Inhuman or otherwise related to them. General implication is that they've been aware of Cal for a while (and vice-versa) and aren't terribly enthused with his eagerness. Or, you know, his craziness.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know, there being a second SHIELD would actually explain what Hawkeye and Black Widow's statuses are now. I mean, yeah, they're Avengers as well, but do they still answer to Fury on any level?

Yes, but out of loyalty to Fury, not SHIELD.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I bet The R.E.A.L. S.H.I.E.L.D. is a thing just so they can have S.H.I.E.L.D. in Age of Ultron without explaining why Coulson is alive and other such things.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

GigaPeon posted:

I bet The R.E.A.L. S.H.I.E.L.D. is a thing just so they can have S.H.I.E.L.D. in Age of Ultron without explaining why Coulson is alive and other such things.

Probably this yeah. It's also quite plausible in that SHIELD was a gargantuan organisation and that there'd be more players than Coulson looking to restore it. The writers have earned my trust this season so it'll probably be good too and no show suffers from having Olmos in it.

I REALLY do want more Inhumans stuff though! The show is firing on all cylinders atm but Blindcrawler & Co. are more interesting and fresh than the spy-stuff :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of hate Edward James Olmos because I go to breakfast with my family every Saturday, and at one restaurant we almost always get this guy that looks like young Edward James Olmos and he is the god drat worst and dumbest waiter in town.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The origami unicorns he's creating out of your checks are a hint that you're a replicant.

Hopefully the show makes good use of Olmos. He would certainly have the gravitas for a good villain role.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, no, no. S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, according to forums poster Dan Didio. He's always right, you know.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Martout posted:

no show suffers from having Olmos in it.

Well Dexter, but that was hardly Olmos' fault.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, no, no. S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, according to forums poster Dan Didio. He's always right, you know.

Unfortunately, I think we need to hear Barry Convex's thoughts on the matter first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just caught up with Tuesday's episode last night. I'm pretty intrigued by the "Real S.H.I.E.L.D." thing, but as everyone else here, I need more Inhuman stuff. Or hell, even the weird band of misfit genetics disasters would be fun to follow.

Although knife fingers lady was bothering me because the scalpels struck me as being pointed the wrong way. Aside from that, her surgical decision was pretty stupid. I also found it funny that the "guy who used to use weird steroids" or whatever was completely useless. He contributed nothing to the group.

All that said, I'm going Fitz builds some stuff for Skye to use to harness her powers more effectively.

• Locked thread