Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Innistrad was gothic horror. Nothing of note happened in terms of the ongoing storyline other than Liliana acquired a magic veil and Garruk was cursed by it, so now he's sort of evil and G/B.
Correction: Liliana already had the veil. I think? It's some ogre relic?

Also she killed a giant demon with knives for hands, Griselbrand, whose steak like essence offends Liliana who ordered the veil, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sigma-X posted:

Since I took a 3 year hiatus, is there a cliff's notes version of the magic history from Scars of Mirrodin onward?

Innistrad Block - Garruk chases LIlliana who is there looking for Gistlebrand. Sorrin's home plane who is b/w, and he made Avacyn as a way to keep the humans and vampires in balance except she has vanished. Lilliana eventually explodes the giant prison thing that Gistlebrand is in freeing Gistlebrand and Avacyn. Then angels everywhere. Garruk get a little relief from his curse but not really.

RTR block - whacky races the mtg set trying to remake the guildpact, except its Jace who becomes the new guildpact. :ughh:

Theros Block - Ancient greece/rome the set. Elspeth crash lands after being forcibly sent out of New Phyrexia by Koth who tries to kill Elesh Norn. Koth's status is still MIA. Heliod (white god) is a dick. Elspeth eventually kills Xenogas (the new r/g god) and Heliod kills her because he is a dick. Ajanni shows up and becomes an atheist. Kiora finally gets a card and impersonates Thassa (blue god) to get more leviathans to fight against the Eldrazi. Elspeth gets shown in the underworld because Erebos (black god) is a dick. The only god that isnt a dick is Kruphix (u/g god).

e forgot Khans. Sarkhan is a crazy rear end in a top hat who travels back in time to same ugin from bolas and because of that he saves all the dragons who were extinct in his original timeline. Now Takir sucks even more.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Innistrad was gothic horror. Nothing of note happened in terms of the ongoing storyline other than Liliana acquired a magic veil and Garruk was cursed by it, so now he's sort of evil and G/B.

Return to Ravnica was basically Jace Beleren fanfiction. He went there and solved everyone's problems and was proclaimed basically king of the entire loving planet.

Theros was Elspeth going to Not Greek Mythology Themepark. She met some dude and they hosed, but then this other planeswalker tricked her into murdering him so he could be a God (the world has Gods who get power if enough people believe they are Gods). She decides he's a dick and tracks him down. She makes a couple of deals with other Gods to do this, but then when she succeeds in killing the mean God, the other Gods turn out to be dickbags and kill her and then drag her to the underworld. She's "dead," but very clearly still sitting around there.

Khans of Tarkir block is Sarkhan going home because he's loving nuts and Ugin (one of Sorin's mates) convinced him to go there and do some time-travel poo poo. There's no actual method described how he does this, he just does. He saves Ugin and goes back to the present where he now has even more powers and dragons are everywhere. Also, his waifu from the previous timeline of Tarkir is now a planewalker also.

Wait so is Ugin just a planeswalker? I thought he was like an elemental-beyond-planeswalkin' type counterpart to the Eldrazi, but he's just Sorin's bro?

I mean I guess that makes sense since he's got a planeswalker card but I thought he was more important given the whole Ugin/Eldrazi connection in Zendikar.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

Wait so is Ugin just a planeswalker? I thought he was like an elemental-beyond-planeswalkin' type counterpart to the Eldrazi, but he's just Sorin's bro?

I mean I guess that makes sense since he's got a planeswalker card but I thought he was more important given the whole Ugin/Eldrazi connection in Zendikar.

Ugin is a Planeswalker and also a Dragon who is an expert at colorless magic. (Basically colorless Nicol Bolas) We know very little about him other than he "studies" the Eldrazi and thinks they're interesting. He used his knowledge of colorless magic to help Nahiri (the Lithomancer, who conveniently looks identical to Stoneforge Mystic) and Sorin seal them up on Zendikar.

Spiderdrake posted:

Correction: Liliana already had the veil. I think? It's some ogre relic?

Also she killed a giant demon with knives for hands, Griselbrand, whose steak like essence offends Liliana who ordered the veil, or something.

My recollection is that she got it on Shandalar, but I don't think it actually matters. She didn't really have it before Innistrad block started.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 19, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

She definitely grabbed it on Shalandar from the temple of mad ogre diviner shaman things. Also, if you count the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 game as canon, Garruk's curse has been sealed, Ob Nixilis, who is BAD loving NEWS and a planeswalker, had his curse unsealed and now he's ready to go full on villain in a vague point soon in the future.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

She definitely grabbed it on Shalandar from the temple of mad ogre diviner shaman things. Also, if you count the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 game as canon, Garruk's curse has been sealed, Ob Nixis, who is BAD loving NEWS and a planeswalker, had his curse unsealed and now he's ready to go full on villain in a vague point soon in the future.

It is canon, that's how he got on the Unshackled card he got in M15. He was stuck in a wuss form due to a hedron stuck in his head, which was then removed in Duels, which gave him at least his strength back (although not his Planeswalker powers). Given that he's stuck on Zendikar, he's probably gonna show up again in the next block.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

It is canon, that's how he got on the Unshackled card he got in M15. He was stuck in a wuss form due to a hedron stuck in his head, which was then removed in Duels, which gave him at least his strength back (although not his Planeswalker powers). Given that he's stuck on Zendikar, he's probably gonna show up again in the next block.
Hopefully with a planeswalker card! :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Hopefully with a planeswalker card! :allears:

For some reason I get the impression Liliana is going to show up again and off him.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ramos posted:

She definitely grabbed it on Shalandar from the temple of mad ogre diviner shaman things. Also, if you count the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 game as canon, Garruk's curse has been sealed, Ob Nixilis, who is BAD loving NEWS and a planeswalker, had his curse unsealed and now he's ready to go full on villain in a vague point soon in the future.

It's cannon. They've been working to centralize all the Magic story stuff for a while now (since Duels 2012 I think).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

For some reason I get the impression Liliana is going to show up again and off him.
They should do a jason todd style phone in contest where we vote for planeswalkers murdering each other

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

They should do a jason todd style phone in contest where we vote for planeswalkers murdering each other

The chance that Liliana dies is like 0% though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Y'know, for a game supposedly all about dueling planeswalkers, they really don't actually fight each other that much in the established fiction.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah, all the duel decks seem to be mostly random pairings, no story connection. The main walker v. walker feud seems to be Garruk and Liliana, and they haven't even had a duel deck, have they?

E: And I guess Ugin/Bolas is a thing, though we haven't seen it in the present, only the past.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I imagine planeswalkers are too busy, what with having to quest to take care of whatever issues that plague them/others as well as being called up by other planeswalkers that really want three soldiers right this moment.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nibble posted:

Yeah, all the duel decks seem to be mostly random pairings, no story connection. The main walker v. walker feud seems to be Garruk and Liliana, and they haven't even had a duel deck, have they?

They have

E: for more content I just cracked an Ugin from the last of my GP Vancouver packs. How good is it in GR Tron?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 19, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

They have

E: for more content I just cracked an Ugin from the last of my GP Vancouver packs. How good is it in GR Tron?

It's like an All is Dust that you can cast into a board to also just win the game. You can't turn 3 him though, whereas you can all is dust. I run a 1 of instead of a oblivion stone because o-stone is also 8 mana to blow up the world and gets abrupted a lot in my 80% abzan meta.

In a world where you ultimate him it feels amazing. Typically you just wipe the board and he sticks around next turn to win the game or he eats a bolt, either way that's better than all is dust.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheKingofSprings posted:

They have

from my understanding he's more a Mono-U Tron card than a G/R Tron card. G/R would still rather have Karn since it's more concerned with assembling Tron and dropping something big on T3 whereas Mono-U can take it's time getting Tron if it needs to.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

I dunno why she'd off him at this point. She's pretty self-serving, and she's already got what she needed from him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I dunno why she'd off him at this point. She's pretty self-serving, and she's already got what she needed from him.

He'd be just another box to check off to make sure she isn't killed by someone in her past, so yeah, I could totally see her killing him off.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dragon enthusiast posted:

Y'know, for a game supposedly all about dueling planeswalkers, they really don't actually fight each other that much in the established fiction.

You don't give these matches away on free tv, you have to save them to bolster the PPV numbers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

rabidsquid posted:

You don't give these matches away on free tv, you have to save them to bolster the PPV numbers.

Also no man-on-woman violence.

Nahiri and Nixilis cards for Zendikar would be sweet, myself I'm looking forward to vampire tribal.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
In all seriousness, Heliod's logic for killing Elspeth was "she knows more than me, she''s not of this world, and she can kill gods, ergo she's a potential threat and I should deal with her now to retain my power and even life"

Rather paranoid and iron fisted, guess you could call it dickish but that's kinda oversimplifying it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rimusutera posted:

In all seriousness, Heliod's logic for killing Elspeth was "she knows more than me, she''s not of this world, and she can kill gods, ergo she's a potential threat and I should deal with her now to retain my power and even life"

Rather paranoid and iron fisted, guess you could call it dickish but that's kinda oversimplifying it.

Also, Nylea was non-dickish. The only questionable action is her getting pissed that Polukranos got ganked while on a rampage. Most of the gods really don't do anything. Keranos tells Cymede of the incoming Minotaur horde. Iroas fights his brother, Mogis, for sending his Minotaur hordes to attack Akroa. Thassa and Kiora get into a slap fight, and Kiora basically fucks a god up. Phenax tag teams with Ashiok to just create chaos, and he ends up getting obsessed with Elspeth. Athreos, Ephara, Karametra, and Pharika do absolutely nothing. Purphoros reforges Elspeth's sword into a staff-spear (and you find out he originally forged the blade when Elspeth was a kid on Theros).

And Kruphix nods sagely over all the events happening and basically admits to having already known everything (including the existence of Planeswalkers which freaked Heliod out so much).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So, the new Legacy Cube. Did they intentionally lower the power level? There are a LOT of completely nonsense cards in the new MTGO cube, that are basically just unplayable, but then there's also the Splinter Twin which seems waaaaay better than playing Vampire Interloper or Overrun. Good limited cards versus the best Modern combo seems like a poor matchup.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin is a Planeswalker and also a Dragon who is an expert at colorless magic. (Basically colorless Nicol Bolas) We know very little about him other than he "studies" the Eldrazi and thinks they're interesting. He used his knowledge of colorless magic to help Nahiri (the Lithomancer, who conveniently looks identical to Stoneforge Mystic) and Sorin seal them up on Zendikar.

My recollection is that she got it on Shandalar, but I don't think it actually matters. She didn't really have it before Innistrad block started.

I think Liliana has had the chain veil since just after the mending during time spiral and definitely pre-Innistrad. None of this shows up in the cards, it's all just fluff, but after losing her super duper powers during the mending, she made pacts with four demons to regain her original powers. The first one, Kothoped (dude on the duel decks Demonic Tutor), ordered her to get the chain veil for himself, but when she got it, she was so excited about its power, she killed Kothoped instead. Then she went to Innistrad and killed Griselbrand, another one of the demons she made a pact with, all while driving Garruk insane. So she's still got 2 more demons on her to-do list. It's like the wackiest kung fu movie storyline.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So Liliana is Uma Thurman is what you're getting at.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Hellsau posted:

So, the new Legacy Cube. Did they intentionally lower the power level? There are a LOT of completely nonsense cards in the new MTGO cube, that are basically just unplayable, but then there's also the Splinter Twin which seems waaaaay better than playing Vampire Interloper or Overrun. Good limited cards versus the best Modern combo seems like a poor matchup.

Interloper is bad, but only because black-based aggro isn't a great archetype. Overrun is sweet and ends games, and would only be a lower pick than Twin due to its strict mana requirements. Combo isn't really a viable archetype in cube, it's just something that you can luck into if the stars align.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fiend Computer posted:

So Liliana is Uma Thurman is what you're getting at.

That's ridiculously we haven't once seen an agonizingly long shot of her feet.

whydirt posted:

Interloper is bad, but only because black-based aggro isn't a great archetype. Overrun is sweet and ends games, and would only be a lower pick than Twin due to its strict mana requirements. Combo isn't really a viable archetype in cube, it's just something that you can luck into if the stars align.

They have been trying to make mono black aggro an archetype in cube for so long and I don't think it has once ever been remotely playable. Black has been really awful in MODO cube for the entire time I think.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Hellsau posted:

Looks like they have a "Vampire/Dragon" subtheme, but generally the legacy cube is way underpowered compared to normal/holiday cube (Powered poo poo.)

I just drafted an esper control deck splashing red and green (lol) and I'm about to go 3-0 with it, shout out to Chromatic Lantern, most underrated mana rock of all time

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"Vampire/Dragon" has got me hoping for a DTK/Return to Zendikar crossover rare. Nirkana Hellkite, Guul Draz ...Blood Regent, i dunno...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"Vampire/Dragon" has got me hoping for a DTK/Return to Zendikar crossover rare. Nirkana Hellkite, Guul Draz ...Blood Regent, i dunno...

holy poo poo is olivia so much better than this

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Vampiric Dragon has won me Mormir games. Don't poo poo talk. :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's no Hoverguard Sweepers. 3.5 stars.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Phyrexia are gonna invade Theros via Ashiok who is secretly created by the Phyrexians from Venser. The guy's name is an anagram of Venser, Ahiokightmawear, doesn't get more obvious than that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

There's an Uncharted Realms somewhere where Kruphix tells his oracle that he's the oldest of the currently-existing gods, he knows that Eldrazi and Phyrexians exist because he knows everything that everybody on Theros knows (including walkers), and he's scared shitless of them. It's pretty great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wurzag posted:

Phyrexia are gonna invade Theros via Ashiok who is secretly created by the Phyrexians from Venser. The guy's name is an anagram of Venser, Ahiokightmawear, doesn't get more obvious than that.

Um if you read all the piece of poo poo books you'd know Ahioka Might Wear is Venser's finest creation, that allows its wearer to avoid detection and also dodge proper evaluation by inexperienced players.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vOv posted:

There's an Uncharted Realms somewhere where Kruphix tells his oracle that he's the oldest of the currently-existing gods, he knows that Eldrazi and Phyrexians exist because he knows everything that everybody on Theros knows (including walkers), and he's scared shitless of them. It's pretty great.

This one, specifically.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
My weird theory was that the conspiracy of the set conspiracy was who the hell cast Pernicious Deed and Deathreap Ritual. None of the legends in the sets could cast it.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's cannon that Garruk tried to kill us, the players of MTG. Garruk is coming to murder you was the main theme of M15.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like All is Dust better. It works well with Eye of Ugin ironically.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

As long as the Joker mostly beats them to death with a crowbar before blowing them up, and Ra's al Ghul resurrects them after stealing their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I would get the foil if there was a card with Sorin beating Tibalt to death with a crowbar.

• Locked thread