Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Is Max Hastings any good? I bought a book of his a while ago but I haven't cracked it open yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Edit: haha gently caress, I posted in the wrong tab. And since you buttheads not only responded but tried to respond half to the point, I think I have to suck it up and keep it now.

Does replacing vanilla ore generation on CofH cause it to create a bunch of caves? It seems like I suddenly have all the caves I wanted that I thought ATG made, and that's where I didn't have that experimental cave setting in place I previously posted.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does replacing vanilla ore generation on CofH cause it to create a bunch of caves? It seems like I suddenly have all the caves I wanted that I thought ATG made, and that's where I didn't have that experimental cave setting in place I previously posted.

I think if Hitler was gay and black, Notch would have put a lot more caves into Minecraft.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Minecraft has way too many caves as it is, Notch should have put more resources into developing Cave Destroyers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That flies against Stockholm Spelunking Treaty.

Offtopic: if Mossolini hadn't 'won' against Ethiopia, waybe he would have been less likely to try and take on Greece and NA.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The remains of Spain's most famous soldier may have been found. He did some other things with his life too I guess

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Durruti will always be the one soldier of Spain who fans my windmill, so to say :anarchists:

Seriously, just look at the dude:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
So you guys know how the IJA and the IJN hated each other's guts, right? And the IJA built a number of somewhat structurally suspect ships, including some submarines?

Well what if the IJN tried building some tanks.... I've got the concept sketches right here!

So this baby's optimized for NIGHT BATTLE, we had a ton of leftover pagoda masts from when the Army dogs forged some requisition forms when we were building the Fusos

Since Shinano's gonna be an aircraft carrier now, I guess we needed something to do with those turrets we already bought. The German ambassador took one look at these plans and was so excited he wanted a copy to send back to Berlin! He kept muttering something about a "mouse", though...

What do you mean, "ground pressure"? The displacement of both is totally reasonable!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

So you guys know how the IJA and the IJN hated each other's guts, right? And the IJA built a number of somewhat structurally suspect ships, including some submarines?

:golfclap:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Navy unbolts the kitchen sink and throws it at the Dardanelles. You may recall that this operation was planned on the assumption that most of the ships involved were going to be scrapped so it didn't matter if some of them got sunk along the way, right? Surely that makes the events of today more of an annoying speed-bump on the road to Constantinople, right? Right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ah, the Dardanelles, the most spectacular gently caress-up in a war where enormous gently caress-ups flourished, thriving as they were in their natural element.

At least it got Churchill fired, right?

e. i can't open the link

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Yeah, the link's not working for me either.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

eat poo poo rodrigo diaz

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry folks, forgot to twiddle a knob. Link should work now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

God. Now I need to look up the Japanese tank that was armed with torpedoes. It was supposed to be amphibious and basically to sail/drive up over coral reefs around where the US fleet was basing. Apart from not working and being hideously expensive it was a cool idea.

Also Hegel what sorts of protection were most common in those days? You see a bunch of heavy coats, some of what seem to be munition cuirasses, some officer sorts wearing what seems to be the upper half of 3/4ths plate, and then the cav havers are prancing around in a mix of 3/4ths plate, old plate (please stop coming to war in this) and the jauntiest clothes they can find. Were there still dudes running around in mail? Was that spiritual successor to brigandine I can't remember the name of popular?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

xthetenth posted:

God. Now I need to look up the Japanese tank that was armed with torpedoes. It was supposed to be amphibious and basically to sail/drive up over coral reefs around where the US fleet was basing. Apart from not working and being hideously expensive it was a cool idea.

This guy?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well the whole point of using those obsolete battleships that were literally due to be scrapped was that in theory they were disposable in this way. Flaw in plan: ships don't sail themselves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Alchenar posted:

Well the whole point of using those obsolete battleships that were literally due to be scrapped was that in theory they were disposable in this way. Flaw in plan: ships don't sail themselves.
Add some extra rifles to the ship's cargo and when the survivors swim to shore you have bonus Marines! :pseudo:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Also the public tends not to distinguish very hard between "top of the line, brand new battleship" and "obsolete, barely-fit for duty battleship" when they hear "multiple battleships lost."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tomn posted:

Also the public tends not to distinguish very hard between "top of the line, brand new battleship" and "obsolete, barely-fit for duty battleship" when they hear "multiple battleships lost."

You can tell them they were crewed by obsolete, ready to scrap crews.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the other hand, in many earlier press reports of lost ships (for instance, the the first U-boat attacks), they went to great lengths to point out how the sunk ships were totally old and obsolete and not much of a loss anyway. The Admiralty could surely have leaned on the editors to use that line again, if they'd been minded to press on.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

JcDent posted:

You can tell them they were crewed by obsolete, ready to scrap crews.

I didn't think the Italians were involved in the Pacific theatre?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

On the other hand, in many earlier press reports of lost ships (for instance, the the first U-boat attacks), they went to great lengths to point out how the sunk ships were totally old and obsolete and not much of a loss anyway. The Admiralty could surely have leaned on the editors to use that line again, if they'd been minded to press on.

We didn't want that ship, anyway! The hun just saved us some of the refitting budget.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Also Hegel what sorts of protection were most common in those days? You see a bunch of heavy coats, some of what seem to be munition cuirasses, some officer sorts wearing what seems to be the upper half of 3/4ths plate, and then the cav havers are prancing around in a mix of 3/4ths plate, old plate (please stop coming to war in this) and the jauntiest clothes they can find. Were there still dudes running around in mail? Was that spiritual successor to brigandine I can't remember the name of popular?
Musketeers, usually: their street clothes, which are the fanciest poo poo they can find
Pike, usually: breast, back, tassets, helmet. Fewer pieces later in the century. Mass produced (the "munition" stuff).
Light cav, officers, dragoons, some pike, honestly I think it's up to personal preference: Buff coats, which are thick leather cut to the pattern of a fancy jacket
Heavy cav, officers: 3/4 plate.

I used to think nobody still had mail but then Rodrigo Diaz posted a padded jacket with mail sewn onto it, to be worn underneath a cav haver's plate.

Also nobody has arming caps any more, they have little knitted hats, like an early modern ski cap. :3

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 18, 2015

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
In honor of our page, somebody tell me about the use of approved drugs by combat forces. I'm already aware of more modern armies putting out fairly potent "chocolate" and the like - it came up just a few pages back as well - but were there any other instances of soldiers being issued, or encouraged to consume, drugs to improve their capabilities before the 20th century?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

I used to think nobody still had mail but then Rodrigo Diaz posted a padded jacket with mail sewn onto it, to be worn underneath a cav haver's plate.

Also nobody has arming caps any more, they have little knitted hats, like an early modern ski cap. :3

I don't have a better pic handy, but there you go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Von Humboldt posted:

In honor of our page, somebody tell me about the use of approved drugs by combat forces. I'm already aware of more modern armies putting out fairly potent "chocolate" and the like - it came up just a few pages back as well - but were there any other instances of soldiers being issued, or encouraged to consume, drugs to improve their capabilities before the 20th century?

I pulled this up for some info. If their source (Licit and Illicit Drugs, 272) is accurate, Bavarian soldiers were prescribed cocaine in the 1880s during training to reduce fatigue.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Joke's on you, the IJN did in fact build some tanks. Quite a few were boondoggles, but some actually worked suprisingly well for what tehy were by all accounts:

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2015

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Von Humboldt posted:

If you count alcohol, lots of them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

It IS part of the 20th century, but it's always kinda funny to read the Bond novels and see how Fleming casually mentions Bond dropping benzedrine before an important mission, because that's what pro operators do when there's real work to be done.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BurningStone posted:

If you count alcohol, lots of them.

If you count alcohol, literally all of them. For most of human history water purification was limited to boiling or fermenting (optionally also distilling) into alcohol; having drinkable tap water has only been a thing in most of the world for a few decades and even now many parts of the world lack reliable sources of clean drinking water, and it was quite likely for most water sources for literally thousands of years to at least taste lovely if they didn't give you diseases. Along with its importance for morale, distributing alcohol was also a way of getting purified hydration to soldiers and sailors. In medieval and colonial times, alcohol was the drink of choice and you just drank stuff with very low alcoholic content during the day to avoid getting trashed.

Likewise, there's the issuance of cigarettes and/or cigars in the 19th and 20th centuries and the change in the 19th century among the US navy to coffee in favor of alcohol. We often forget that caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine are all drugs in the same class of substance as cocaine and heroin. Not as strong or dangerous to your health, maybe, and lacking the stigma due to being legalized and commonly available, but they're recreational drugs just the same.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Likewise, there's the issuance of cigarettes and/or cigars in the 19th and 20th centuries and the change in the 19th century among the US navy to coffee in favor of alcohol. We often forget that caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine are all drugs in the same class of substance as cocaine and heroin. Not as strong or dangerous to your health, maybe, and lacking the stigma due to being legalized and commonly available, but they're recreational drugs just the same.

Was the USN's change to coffee vs alcohol that early? I know prohibition of alcohol aboard USN ships was a thing from 1914 onward (due to Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels, racist fucker), but I've always wondered when the USN basically started to run on copious amounts of coffee.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spacewolf posted:

Was the USN's change to coffee vs alcohol that early? I know prohibition of alcohol aboard USN ships was a thing from 1914 onward (due to Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels, racist fucker), but I've always wondered when the USN basically started to run on copious amounts of coffee.

In 1848, Robert Minturn of Grinnell, Minturn & Co. (one of the leading trans-Atlantic shipping companies of the 19th century) made a statement before a parliamentary committee that teetotalism is actually encouraged by American shipowners and often a condition for a bonus paid, typically a 10% return on the insurance premium. They made up for it by packing up lots of hot coffee (which is a clean beverage like alcohol, as it was boiled to brew it). Teetotalers have always been prominent in the United States, likely due to this nation's heavy focus on religion and religious morality, hence why we actually suffered from Prohibition.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

In medieval and colonial times, alcohol was the drink of choice and you just drank stuff with very low alcoholic content during the day to avoid getting trashed.

How low are we talking, here? Like, miller lite low, or even lower?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chitoryu12 posted:

In 1848, Robert Minturn of Grinnell, Minturn & Co. (one of the leading trans-Atlantic shipping companies of the 19th century) made a statement before a parliamentary committee that teetotalism is actually encouraged by American shipowners and often a condition for a bonus paid, typically a 10% return on the insurance premium. They made up for it by packing up lots of hot coffee (which is a clean beverage like alcohol, as it was boiled to brew it). Teetotalers have always been prominent in the United States, likely due to this nation's heavy focus on religion and religious morality, hence why we actually suffered from Prohibition.
New England was historically the center of American shipping and also a hotbed for the early temperance movement in the US. IIRC New England shippers were also heavily involved in the coffee and tea trades and significantly less involved transporting rum and whiskey which cam from the Caribbean and American South respectively.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

eat poo poo rodrigo diaz

Corinthian leather :v:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ainsley McTree posted:

How low are we talking, here? Like, miller lite low, or even lower?

Even lower. Around 3% at most. It's called small beer: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Along with its importance for morale, distributing alcohol was also a way of getting purified hydration to soldiers and sailors. In medieval and colonial times, alcohol was the drink of choice and you just drank stuff with very low alcoholic content during the day to avoid getting trashed.

That's a myth.

Yes, boiling the wort to make beer necessarily sterilized it. But winemaking doesn't involve that step, and if you're just diluting your wine and your beer low concentrations to drink all day long you either need a clean source of water to dilute it with or you'll just keep getting sick; 3% alcohol concentrations aren't enough to stop most pathogens from growing, let alone kill them. Medieval people knew the difference between water you shouldn't drink and water it's probably okay to drink.

Food and beer historians:

http://leslefts.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html
https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/was-water-really-regarded-as-dangerous-to-drink-in-the-middle-ages/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It counts only loosely as a performance enhancing drug, but when my grandfather was in the Navy they told him to smoke to keep the mosquitoes off, so he wouldn't get malaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

It is interesting to note that nicotine is a cholinergic stimulant and quite a number of past militaries have included cigarettes and the like in their rations. IIRC tobacco companies in America during WW1 actually claimed that the high of tobacco, if you could call it that, could help a soldier better cope with the pressures of constant warfare and they petitioned hard for its adoption by the Armed Forces. They also made various other statements about improved morale and 'lightening the burden' of soldiers. Eventually their petitions succeeded, for a time anyway.

Whether those claims were actually true to any extent or just bunk delivered by opportunistic big tobacco hoping to recruit the recruits is another question. They campaigned pretty seriously when it came to ensuring an enlisted man could find a cigarette.

• Locked thread