Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hooah posted:

PocketCasts has started doing a dumb thing where it pauses temporarily when it disconnects from my car's Bluetooth, but starts back up after a second or two. I've decided this is a good opportunity to try BeyondPod, and while I've already found something that's annoying, it's likely my fault this time. I recreated my feeds list just fine, along with what episodes I still needed to listen to. The problem is that if I pull the playlist in from the side, then tap on a different episode from what's playing, the playlist rearranges itself to just have episodes from that particular feed. I made sure to turn off the automatic playlist; what else could I be missing?

This happened to me twice after it updated at my house this morning. Gonna email them I guess. For me it wouldn't unpause itself, so irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

KingSlime posted:

I have a ton of downtime at work and I figure I may as well compose music while i'm there/ I have a work laptop but don't want any of the very competent composing suites to interfere with my work apps. Any solid apps I can use? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something that will let me create full songs (not just loops) and will allow for several instruments at once. It could be via classical notation or via a piano roll sort of thing, whatever.I've played with a few options and they all seem to fall more towards the "toy" category rather than a proper tool for planning out and writing even basic three chord songs.

What have you used/do you like?

Don't know if you wanted something more professional, but Milky Tracker is free for Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

PocketCasts has started doing a dumb thing where it pauses temporarily when it disconnects from my car's Bluetooth, but starts back up after a second or two. I've decided this is a good opportunity to try BeyondPod, and while I've already found something that's annoying, it's likely my fault this time. I recreated my feeds list just fine, along with what episodes I still needed to listen to. The problem is that if I pull the playlist in from the side, then tap on a different episode from what's playing, the playlist rearranges itself to just have episodes from that particular feed. I made sure to turn off the automatic playlist; what else could I be missing?

This happens to me with Play Music and Pocket Casts and Podcast Addict. It has done it for as long as I can remember.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShaneB posted:

Does anyone know where they moved "stop playing and mark played (delete downloaded episode)" on Pocket Casts with the new update? It's something I used constantly on the playback screen and now it's just ... not there.

I don't think it's there anymore, that's for sure. I noticed there's the ability to swipe from right to left along the minimized playback bar (I.e. when you're listening but not on the playback screen) and it will show what's coming up in your playlist, and it has the playlist available if you swipe right to left from the playback screen as well and from that playlist you can move to the next podcast, but I don't know if there's a "stop, mark as played, do not play next" button anywhere.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Pocket Casts widget is fixed, hooray!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Does anyone know where they moved "stop playing and mark played (delete downloaded episode)" on Pocket Casts with the new update? It's something I used constantly on the playback screen and now it's just ... not there.
If you're on the playback screen, swipe to the screen to the right of that where the Now Playing list lives then swipe away the one that's currently playing back. It will mark it as played and delete it if you have it set to do so.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend an internet radio app? TuneIn has lost me as it's become complete poo poo recently with tonnes of bugs and longer and longer load times.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone recommend an internet radio app? TuneIn has lost me as it's become complete poo poo recently with tonnes of bugs and longer and longer load times.

XiiaLive or IHeartRadio?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LastInLine posted:

If you're on the playback screen, swipe to the screen to the right of that where the Now Playing list lives then swipe away the one that's currently playing back. It will mark it as played and delete it if you have it set to do so.

Seems to be the best way to do it! Thanks!

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else notice that pocketcast now has the whole remove silence and boost audio? Or had it been there all along?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smilingokami posted:

Anyone else notice that pocketcast now has the whole remove silence and boost audio? Or had it been there all along?
No that's new with the Material Design update.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hooah posted:

As in, your phone dropped connection or you turned off the car's audio? I use a BT headset and I switch the power off on that in the middle of a podcast, in which it plays like 1/10th of a second of audio through my speaker before cutting the audio and it stays that way. It's been like this since before the update, and still is.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

smilingokami posted:

The audio boost is so nice in my car, I no longer have to turn my stereo up 20 higher than the radio volume to hear it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilifinicus posted:

As in, your phone dropped connection or you turned off the car's audio? I use a BT headset and I switch the power off on that in the middle of a podcast, in which it plays like 1/10th of a second of audio through my speaker before cutting the audio and it stays that way. It's been like this since before the update, and still is.

I meant when I turn off my car, cutting power to the Bluetooth module. I don't recall hearing anything come out of the speakers, buy I wasn't paying close attention. I also don't think that happened at all before the update.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone who has a motorola phone (I have the 1st gen Moto X) use the MotorolaConnect thing? Where you can get SMSs sent to/from your computer?

I'm wondering if there's anyone for whom it works totally smoothly. It sometimes works for me, but most of the time it's really unreliable. It frequently "loses connection" despite my phone and my computer both having excellent connections. Sometimes it will update one conversation but not the rest. Sometimes it successfully shows me notifications of new SMSs, but the entire SMS list is super out of date and won't refresh. When it loses connection entirely, sometimes it takes several attempts at re-connecting, and sometimes it just won't reconnect at all. It's just really inconsistent and buggy, and I'm wondering if I'm alone here.
I'm using it with chromium, if that matters.

If someone else has had wonderful luck with it, then I'll try to troubleshoot, but if it's notoriously crappy then I won't.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

hooah posted:

I meant when I turn off my car, cutting power to the Bluetooth module. I don't recall hearing anything come out of the speakers, buy I wasn't paying close attention. I also don't think that happened at all before the update.

I have this issue and it's definitely happened prior to the update also. Are you using the Kinio thing as well? I wonder if it has more to do with the kind of dongle you have, because it doesn't happen with my LG headset.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just use pushbullet or mighty text instead

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Geektox posted:

I have this issue and it's definitely happened prior to the update also. Are you using the Kinio thing as well? I wonder if it has more to do with the kind of dongle you have, because it doesn't happen with my LG headset.

I have the belkin bluetooth thing, it only happened Monday, it seems to be OK since then. Weird...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Geektox posted:

I've got a Cruze, and I received as a gift the PDIM unit from a Camaro, so it's almost as factory-installed as you can get.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm looking for an app that will snap a photo of my receipts and capture the relevant info to refer to later. I see some dozen such programs in Play store, but does anyone here have a go-to recommendation?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm looking for an app that will snap a photo of my receipts and capture the relevant info to refer to later. I see some dozen such programs in Play store, but does anyone here have a go-to recommendation?

I scan my receipts to Google drive.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with the recent Google Play Music update? I have two duplicate albums with no songs. Here's an example:

I don't know if it's a tag thing or a folder thing (most of the music on my phone is transferred directly from my computer to the phone) or what.

EDIT: Switching off downloaded only causes the empty albums to have songs. Maybe it has something to do with the cloud, I don't know. :iiam:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with the recent Google Play Music update? I have two duplicate albums with no songs. Here's an example:

I don't know if it's a tag thing or a folder thing (most of the music on my phone is transferred directly from my computer to the phone) or what.

EDIT: Switching off downloaded only causes the empty albums to have songs. Maybe it has something to do with the cloud, I don't know. :iiam:
Why does one say CD1 and the other (disc 1)?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Why does one say CD1 and the other (disc 1)?

I don't know, it wasn't like that before.

EDIT: Deleting the albums from Play Music on my computer removed the duplicates on my phone. I'm re-uploading them and the duplicates haven't shown up on my phone yet.

Problem solved, maybe.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 19, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm going to ignore the question because holy poo poo that's a lot of notifications. Why do you need two things telling you the temperature? (Unless you're testing out a new weather app, in which case, carry on.)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

hooah posted:

I'm going to ignore the question because holy poo poo that's a lot of notifications. Why do you need two things telling you the temperature? (Unless you're testing out a new weather app, in which case, carry on.)

I was testing out a new weather app vs Weatherbug.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Multiple weather notifications, it's the Android way.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't know if I'm more curious what that home notification is, or how many notifications are being hidden in the overflow.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if I'm more curious what that home notification is, or how many notifications are being hidden in the overflow.

The home notification is a Moto X thing (it pops up when I come home from being out, such as from class, the store, or walking my dog) and the overflow was mostly just things like "x app has been updated" or "Check out Pandora's St. Patrick's day station!".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With BeyondPod, how do I have it just add any newly-downloaded episode to the end of the play list? I tried a smart play list with the rule "oldest 50 of all feeds" and also the latest version of the same time but I have 5 episodes downloaded and both of those rules only add the same two episodes. PocketCasts used to be able to do this fine until the shoved the queue in between the play list and the playing episode. Why does everyone have to gently caress this up?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Don't think this got mentioned yet, but Google Now FINALLY lets you send a hangouts message through voice commands.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there any way to tell Google Play to stop launching itself whenever it detects Bluetooth in my car? I don't mind so much if I was listening to tunes before, but I'll specifically go stop music, and as soon I jump in the car it says "oh you must want me to resume the same album you were playing a few days ago" and then kills Waze or whatever.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

kri kri posted:

I scan my receipts to Google drive.
Definitely a doable option, though something that would automatically OCR it and toss the date/$$/location in an index would be nifty.

The most downloaded receipt app, Receipt Hog, turns out to be just some lovely "let us resell your purchasing data and give you back fractions of a penny for your effort" sort of thing...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

isndl posted:

Any PDF readers that can handle long or image heavy PDFs without taking an agonizingly long time to render if I scroll too fast?

You might try MuPDF, but even that can only buffer so much.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The Youtube app has been crashing back to the homescreen on my tablet but only for certain videos after a certain amount of time only on 720p. I thought it just couldn't handle HD video but I can watch this in it's entirety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3yr81s_AY

but this video crashes 7-8 minutes after starting to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4rQBJa_S2E

Even if I jump ahead to where I was a few minutes later it will close and not remember where I was upon restarting the app.

Same thing happens in the Viral youtube player app. Are Youtube videos not created equally?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

monster on a stick posted:

Is there any way to tell Google Play to stop launching itself whenever it detects Bluetooth in my car? I don't mind so much if I was listening to tunes before, but I'll specifically go stop music, and as soon I jump in the car it says "oh you must want me to resume the same album you were playing a few days ago" and then kills Waze or whatever.

I think this is a bluetooth thing, because my friends iPhone does the same thing whenever his phone connects to his car bluetooth. It'll just start playing whatever music or podcast he was last listening to.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think this is a bluetooth thing, because my friends iPhone does the same thing whenever his phone connects to his car bluetooth. It'll just start playing whatever music or podcast he was last listening to.
Maybe there's a setting on the car that automatically sends a "play" signal when it connects?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

butt dickus posted:

Maybe there's a setting on the car that automatically sends a "play" signal when it connects?

It's weird because my Windows Phone never did it - but then again the WP had poor Bluetooth integration, at least with my deck (skip buttons didn't work, didn't display song title, etc.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Don't think this got mentioned yet, but Google Now FINALLY lets you send a hangouts message through voice commands.

This is the best news this thread has ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

butt dickus posted:

Worth checking out next time I'm in his car.

monster on a stick posted:

It's weird because my Windows Phone never did it - but then again the WP had poor Bluetooth integration, at least with my deck (skip buttons didn't work, didn't display song title, etc.)

That's probably the reason why your windows phone never did it. Your deck is mashing the virtual play button whenever it sees your phone connect and windows phone just ignored it.

• Locked thread