Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Uugggghhhhh give me some time Ehud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno I kinda get what he is trying to say. He's saying the traumatic effects of the sport are so brutal a 55 year old ex con arguably has a better quality of life than a 55 year old CTE veggie.

It's just very arbitrary and inelegant in its wording

Not ex con, he's saying Hernandez in jail is better off than if he had played

Written like someone who has never been anywhere near a jail or prison

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
There is a prison thread in Ask/Tell and it made me much less afraid to go to prison. It is pretty drat interesting. It doesn't sound that bad (I mean I am sure it is horrible, but the guy said Trailer Park Boys has the most accurate depiction of jail of any TV show :lol: ). Apparently rapes and fights and poo poo don't really happen too often.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

I dunno. I think I'd rather suffer massive head trauma than years of violence and male rape.

Pretty sure you'll get head trauma during rape too.

Plus AIDS and hepatitis.

Ribsauce posted:

There is a prison thread in Ask/Tell and it made me much less afraid to go to prison. It is pretty drat interesting. It doesn't sound that bad (I mean I am sure it is horrible, but the guy said Trailer Park Boys has the most accurate depiction of jail of any TV show :lol: ). Apparently rapes and fights and poo poo don't really happen too often.

If you're reading the thread I read, you forgot that he's in a lower level prison. Not minimum security, but still a chill place in Michigan. Hernandez is getting life. Presumably he will end up in a Massachusetts prison, and I have no idea what their culture is like.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 17, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

football fuckerman posted:

Not ex con, he's saying Hernandez in jail is better off than if he had played

Wow yeah I missed that part ok that is a terrible article

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Not minimum security, but still a chill place in Michigan. Hernandez is getting life. Presumably he will end up in a Massachusetts prison, and I have no idea what their culture is like.

The idea of Massachusetts having a tougher prison system than Michigan is really really funny to me

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
where do you think Boston sends all the people it can't ship out of state

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The idea of Massachusetts having a tougher prison system than Michigan is really really funny to me

The toughest Massachusetts prison has got to be worse than most Michigan prisons though, right? :shrug:

Anyway, the dude from the thread isn't exactly in San Quentin.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Chichevache posted:

If you're reading the thread I read, you forgot that he's in a lower level prison. Not minimum security, but still a chill place in Michigan. Hernandez is getting life. Presumably he will end up in a Massachusetts prison, and I have no idea what their culture is like.

No, I remember. A few other people chimed in also and none of them really had anything different to say. Of course, no one on here got out of a supermax or whatever obviously

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Not to totally derail the thread, but your experience in prison is going to vary a lot depending on a ton of factors, like where you were convicted, what you are serving for, your ethnicity etc.

Unless the author of that piece has spent a significant amount of time in prison, either working or as an inmate, he should probably make less ignorant inflammatory statements, or he's a genius given the demands of sportswriters.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
NFL retiree Hernandez: fuckin...my head hurts and I fly into these rages iunno why. I put my shoes on the wrong feet sometimes
Incarcerated Hernandez: I ain't see a bird in 35 years and this batch of toilet wine got that Clorox stank to it
*both turn to camera with mournful look* *super white voice over dude* WHICH HERNANDEZ HAS IT WORSE?? FOR BRAIN HOLES AARON TEXT CTE TO 62266. FOR CELLBLOCK AARON TEXT DOC TO 62255

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The toughest Massachusetts prison has got to be worse than most Michigan prisons though, right? :shrug:

Anyway, the dude from the thread isn't exactly in San Quentin.

I wasn't trying to be a prick, just because of stereotypes the idea of a really scary Massachusetts prison strikes me as funny

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Hold on I'm taking notes for the next Rob Lowe commercial, only I'm not sure which Rob Lowe you don't want to be like.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

football fuckerman posted:

NFL retiree Hernandez: fuckin...my head hurts and I fly into these rages iunno why. I put my shoes on the wrong feet sometimes
Incarcerated Hernandez: I ain't see a bird in 35 years and this batch of toilet wine got that Clorox stank to it
*both turn to camera with mournful look* *super white voice over dude* WHICH HERNANDEZ HAS IT WORSE?? FOR BRAIN HOLES AARON TEXT CTE TO 62266. FOR CELLBLOCK AARON TEXT DOC TO 62255

Don;t act like drinking hard alcohol made from toilets is something he wouldn't be used to

He went to Florida

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wasn't trying to be a prick, just because of stereotypes the idea of a really scary Massachusetts prison strikes me as funny

No worries, I didn't think you were. :hfive:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MY UNCLE WAS DECAPITATED IN A COAL MINE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT UNCLE WAS DEFENESTRATED BY PROTESTANT NOBLES PROTESTING THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think the decapitated coal miner thing is a decent point. There's an almost preposterous amount of jobs that can maim you out there. Many of them done by idiots, who probably will get maimed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Those idiots are also NFL fans

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sash! posted:

I think the decapitated coal miner thing is a decent point. There's an almost preposterous amount of jobs that can maim you out there. Many of them done by idiots, who probably will get maimed.

If you're taking the piss I apologize, but we have entire government agencies dedicated to minimizing risk for workers, whereas the NFL has Goodell saying "Don't worry moms I promise we're doing our very best to keep their brains in one piece" and shills like Florio saying "Don't be a pussy, pussy" so I'm not really sure it's the same thing.

midwat
May 6, 2007

go3 posted:

where do you think Boston sends all the people it can't ship out of state

MCI Walpole

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

And the immediate responce from PFTCommenter

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ought ten posted:

If you're taking the piss I apologize, but we have entire government agencies dedicated to minimizing risk for workers, whereas the NFL has Goodell saying "Don't worry moms I promise we're doing our very best to keep their brains in one piece" and shills like Florio saying "Don't be a pussy, pussy" so I'm not really sure it's the same thing.

I didn't really feel that was Florio's point. Was there some context I'm missing?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ought ten posted:

Those dangerous jobs have people that claim OSHA just gets in their way and do call people pussies for wanting to do things the safe way. Because people are idiots.

I remember hearing a railroad conductor in a bar back home griping that they have to stop the train to get on and off when they used to be able to just grab onto the railing and swing on. Too many guys slipped and got legs cut off so now you can't do that. Seems reasonable to me. But to him it was just BIG GOVERNMENT slowing him down at work.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sash! posted:

Those dangerous jobs have people that claim OSHA just gets in their way and do call people pussies for wanting to do things the safe way. Because people are idiots.

Yeah this is true. And some number of NFL players are probably idiots who don't appreciate the risks. But that doesn't make Florio's point a good one. He was comparing football players to firemen and police officers (and people who ride motorcycles without helmets ???) as a way of saying the risks of football should be acceptable -- and even palatable because players are well-compensated. But just because people accept risks doesn't mean risk is good or should be accepted uncritically. And it doesn't make Borland's decision to retire shameful or bad, which is what Florio seems to think.

On top of that he's a notorious shill for a league that has done their best to hide those risks, made it harder to manage them, avoided compensating those suffering because of the risks the NFL was hiding, and pretended like they're doing everything they can to make football safe for your brain.

Chichevache posted:

I didn't really feel that was Florio's point. Was there some context I'm missing?

No more context than that first tweet, which implies Borland is an ungrateful pussy. He said some other stuff in his dumb rant but that's the gist of it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hear most of the people who get out of the system there are wicked hahd.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I also enjoyed that retort, because gently caress the shithead veteran who read a vague reference to workplace deaths and got righteously indignant assuming dude was talking about specifically the military.

edit:

Florio's original point was loving stupid, I just appreciate the back and forth.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 18, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I also enjoyed that retort, because gently caress the shithead veteran who read a vague reference to workplace deaths and got righteously indignant assuming dude was talking about specifically the military.

edit:

Florio's original point was loving stupid, I just appreciate the back and forth.

People use the military in examples like that all the loving time. poo poo, it just happened recently when Derrick Rose talked about preserving his long term health. I don't blame the guy for assuming.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Henchman of Santa posted:

People use the military in examples like that all the loving time. poo poo, it just happened recently when Derrick Rose talked about preserving his long term health. I don't blame the guy for assuming.

:jerkbag:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Lots of people defending Florio in here. Thats a weird statement to type.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Mike Florio deserves no credit ever for being thoughtful or original. It's safe to assume everything he says refers to the lowest, dumbest denominator. So I'd have thought military too until he pulled out the MY UNCLE line

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Are you new to sports fans and/or America?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

He absolutely meant military and when he got called on it he tried to back out like a little rat bitch and you are giving him too much credit by even considering he didn't mean military

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He absolutely meant military and when he got called on it he tried to back out like a little rat bitch and you are giving him too much credit by even considering he didn't mean military

I guess I just don't read enough Florio, because I feel like everyone else got triggered and all I can see is a funny stick with a knob on the end. :shrug:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 18, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hate the indignant veteran meme more than I hate Mike Florio.

It's a weird place, but it's where I'm at right now.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 18, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chilichimp posted:

I hate the indignant veteran meme more than I hate Matt Florio.

Who is Matt Florio, is he the headless uncle of Mike Florio

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

Who is Matt Florio, is he the headless uncle of Mike Florio

:argh:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pete Prisco cracking on Mike Freeman for getting upset about PFTcommenter's worst twitter bracket made me laugh and smile and maybe even like Pete Prisco a little bit

mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 4h4 hours ago
@PriscoCBS A guy made me a one seed because I blocked him TWO YEARS AGO???

Pete Prisco
‏@PriscoCBS
@mikefreemannfl You are a one seed because of your bad takes on here. See Russell Wilson, No. 3 ranked QB.

So stupid, but I laughed out loud

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
what is the indignant veteran meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

what is the indignant veteran meme?

The girlfriends of guys that spend their four years in Florida flying a powerpoint presentation getting outraged that they didn't get to cut to the head of the line at Starbucks, not given a discount, and no one bowed down to them.

• Locked thread