Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

Look at this dude who should've been shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5CPx4RKWw

Those guys are way too close, he could kill them before they blinked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dum Cumpster posted:

... but the outcome we got wasn't unacceptable, just sad.

That's a matter of perspective.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

Those guys are way too close, he could kill them before they blinked.

He could just spin in a circle and their heads would all pop off.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Gee, let's consider the differences between a training where the instructor is like "OK you're going to be sprayed, then do this and this" like it was Double Dare to just spraying a person who is not at a training.
Being at the county range does not give you a 2+ to pepper spray resistance.

My point was that pepper spray is basically just a chemical irritant. It won't stop anyone who is set on the idea of being combative. It's primary purpose is to take the fight out of assholes and drunks so the police don't have to club them. Sadly, like Tasers, it seems to get used primarily as a pain-compliance tool.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

blunt for century posted:

How about they mace him, then while he's distracted and can't see (very well) they can tase him from behind. Then they can tackle and disarm him while he's incapacitated or use riot shields or something. My point is that they had a whole fuckload of other options available, but they decided to, yet again, escalate the situation immediately and then start shooting the scary scary black man

impossible, he'll just power through the massive amounts of pain mace causes in pursuit of cop-death. cops trained to do it can do it, so a manic-depressive kid with schizophrenia would probably have the mental strength and focus to do it too!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Being at the county range does not give you a 2+ to pepper spray resistance.

Attending a class where the effects are explained to you, in the context of others being sprayed and recovering, likely does.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My point was that pepper spray is basically just a chemical irritant. It won't stop anyone who is set on the idea of being combative. It's primary purpose is to take the fight out of assholes and drunks so the police don't have to club them. Sadly, like Tasers, it seems to get used primarily as a pain-compliance tool.

Having been peppersprayed, the best you're gonna do is flail your arms around ineffectually.

I guess you could do a helicopter move if you were the machete guy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blunt for century posted:

Alright, so this fat 38 year old mentally challenged guy is resistant to mace, and impossible to hit with a taser, and was heard yelling "I WANT TO STAB A COP WITH THIS HERE SCREWDRIVER". gently caress it, just shoot him. :rolleyes:

How about they mace him, then while he's distracted and can't see (very well) they can tase him from behind. Then they can tackle and disarm him while he's incapacitated or use riot shields or something. My point is that they had a whole fuckload of other options available, but they decided to, yet again, escalate the situation immediately and then start shooting the scary scary black man

My problem is your getting to a point where force was needed. It shouldn't have been needed.
The problem here is that once force becomes needed, the non-lethal options carry a greater risk of GBI or death. I am somewhat surprised that people don't see a screwdriver as a deadly weapon, but I guess I see poo poo every day that most people don't see. If he was taking the worst possible action in the period we can't see much of him, it is possible that deadly force was the "best" option.
The problem is that we shouldn't have gotten to that point.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

Can we just move on and stop discussing it? I'm running out of ways to rationalize it.

It was a totally justified shooting. The cops in this case really didn't do anything wrong. They shot a guy charging them with a weapon. Like I said before it probably could have been done better by someone, somewhere - if they backed off sooner, came to the door ready to tase him or talked to his mom more before they met the guy, but once it reached the point it did it's silly to expect the cops to do much thinking beyond oh poo poo->shoot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Anything can be a deadly weapon, that doesn't mean it's going to be. If you sneak up on somebody in prison and shank them with a screwdriver, yeah they could die. If you are a fully tooled up officer with a vest and least four different force options hanging from your belt, it's pretty loving unlikely. A baton is sufficient.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

semper wifi posted:

It was a totally justified shooting. The cops in this case really didn't do anything wrong. Like I said before it probably could have been done better by someone, somewhere, but it's silly to expect the cops in that situation to do much thinking beyond oh poo poo->shoot.

Expecting cops to do anything harder than being trigger happy morons is too much, I would agree. That's why folks are saying that not getting the cops involved would have been a better move. Because a lot of cops are racist cowards. Not all of them, just enough.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

semper wifi posted:

It was a totally justified shooting. The cops in this case really didn't do anything wrong. Like I said before it probably could have been done better by someone, somewhere, but it's silly to expect the cops in that situation to do much thinking beyond oh poo poo->shoot.

It could have been a totally justified shooting. We don't know because the video doesn't show enough.
He could have been rushing the officer to the right in a stabbing motion, he could have been going to his mother.

There's a big difference.

SedanChair posted:

Anything can be a deadly weapon, that doesn't mean it's going to be. If you sneak up on somebody in prison and shank them with a screwdriver, yeah they could die. If you are a fully tooled up officer with a vest and least four different force options hanging from your belt, it's pretty loving unlikely. A baton is sufficient.
Most police vests are not stab resistant. Which is stupid as hell, but doesn't help you once someone is coming at you with a stabbing weapon.
I've seen people messed up in fights (not just stabbing in the back) with screwdrivers.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 19, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

This post makes me wonder if you've seen a screwdriver or even your own body in real life before, it's a 6" long pointy piece of steel. Come on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No cops announced "I'm going to murder you because you're black and I'm scared and hate you. For being black." Therefore, it was justified.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

I am somewhat surprised that people don't see a screwdriver as a deadly weapon

I can see a screwdriver as a weapon. A lot of poo poo can be a weapon.

I think people are more upset that "black man holding screwdriver" can be so immediately justified as a good kill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

I think people are more upset that "black man holding screwdriver" can be so immediately justified as a good kill.

I think there's only one person arguing that here, and you're not going to change his mind.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Attending a class where the effects are explained to you, in the context of others being sprayed and recovering, likely does.
Nope, still hurts. Taser hurts too, but not as much.

Zeitgueist posted:

Having been peppersprayed, the best you're gonna do is flail your arms around ineffectually.
Sounds like you had a significantly worse reaction than most people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

This post makes me wonder if you've seen a screwdriver or even your own body in real life before, it's a 6" long pointy piece of steel. Come on.

No you come on, look at the reality of the situation. Do you really think a guy surrounded by cops is going to be able to sink a screwdriver into the space behind one of their clavicles? You are buying into a hyper-vigilant mindset.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What are you saying "nope" for? Did you contradict me? I don't think you did because I never said it didn't hurt, only that police in training would be more likely to be capable of deliberate actions after being sprayed than somebody off the street.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

No you come on, look at the reality of the situation. Do you really think a guy surrounded by cops is going to be able to sink a screwdriver into the space behind one of their clavicles? You are buying into a hyper-vigilant mindset.

You post in TFR dude, I'm sure you've seen that knife guy vs AK cops video.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

You post in TFR dude, I'm sure you've seen that knife guy vs AK cops video.

Are we talking about knives now? I thought we were talking about screwdrivers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Took 3 shots to the face. The clothes I was wearing could make my eyes tear up even hours later.

Is the story that cops getting peppersprayed at the academy just laugh and do some pushups or whatever?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

I think there's only one person arguing that here, and you're not going to change his mind.

Yeah, I agree, I'm saying in the larger sense though.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

nm posted:

It could have been a totally justified shooting. We don't know because the video doesn't show enough.
He could have been rushing the officer to the right in a stabbing motion, he could have been going to his mother.

There's a big difference.

Yeah ok, I concede that it is possible he was just running over to momma with his favorite screwdriver in hand, maybe going to tighten up her glasses or something.

SedanChair posted:

Are we talking about knives now? I thought we were talking about screwdrivers.

I don't understand where you're going with your line of posting here. Surely you will admit that being stabbed with a screwdriver can be fatal and will at least result in serious injury.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

semper wifi posted:

It was a totally justified shooting. The cops in this case really didn't do anything wrong. They shot a guy charging them with a weapon. Like I said before it probably could have been done better by someone, somewhere - if they backed off sooner, came to the door ready to tase him or talked to his mom more before they met the guy, but once it reached the point it did it's silly to expect the cops to do much thinking beyond oh poo poo->shoot.

It's justified by the hosed up standards we have in the US, correct. I would like those changed. I do expect more. Like expect them to realize that putting their hands on their guns and yelling at a mentally unstable person might make the situation worse, and when they do that they should be held responsible for the outcome.

nm posted:

My problem is your getting to a point where force was needed. It shouldn't have been needed.
The problem here is that once force becomes needed, the non-lethal options carry a greater risk of GBI or death. I am somewhat surprised that people don't see a screwdriver as a deadly weapon, but I guess I see poo poo every day that most people don't see. If he was taking the worst possible action in the period we can't see much of him, it is possible that deadly force was the "best" option.
The problem is that we shouldn't have gotten to that point.

It is a deadly weapon but that wasn't a deadly situation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

no i can attest to that too, mace sucks a lot

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Most police vests are not stab resistant. Which is stupid as hell, but doesn't help you once someone is coming at you with a stabbing weapon.
I've seen people messed up in fights (not just stabbing in the back) with screwdrivers.

Do you really think an unsharpened screwdriver is going to penetrate a vest and inflict a lethal wound? Again it's possible, but it's also possible that he could have reached over and broken the cop's neck with one hand like Antonio Banderas in Assassins.

semper wifi posted:

I don't understand where you're going with your line of posting here. Surely you will admit that being stabbed with a screwdriver can be fatal and will at least result in serious injury.

It's not surprising that you don't understand, because you seem very used to compliantly agreeing with hazy cop logic that a screwdriver is just as dangerous as a knife and warrants the same instant killing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

What are you saying "nope" for? Did you contradict me? I don't think you did because I never said it didn't hurt, only that police in training would be more likely to be capable of deliberate actions after being sprayed than somebody off the street.
In no way do any of the chemicals in pepper spray render you incapable of "deliberate action." That's my point. It hurts like poo poo, but if you don't care because you're nuts, or wasted, or just hard as nails well then it doesn't do much good. It's effectiveness is mostly in people not wanting to feel like their face is on fire and generally reacting to that feeling with panic.

I don't think having it explained to you in a classroom for a half hour before you get sprayed makes much of a difference, but if you're willing to offer some kind of proof that it does I'm willing to concede the point.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Condiv posted:

no i can attest to that too, mace sucks a lot

I have a friend who's an MP, and just recently got tased and hit with OC spray, and he described spray as way worse.

I love calling bullshit on folks who talk like they would still gently caress people up after getting peppersprayed.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In no way do any of the chemicals in pepper spray render you incapable of "deliberate action." That's my point. It hurts like poo poo, but if you don't care because you're nuts, or wasted, or just hard as nails well then it doesn't do much good. It's effectiveness is mostly in people not wanting to feel like their face is on fire and generally reacting to that feeling with panic.

I don't think having it explained to you in a classroom for a half hour before you get sprayed makes much of a difference, but if you're willing to offer some kind of proof that it does I'm willing to concede the point.

Well since mentally ill people don't feel pain I guess just shoot then

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
You know, the best thing about police threads is that we essentially learn that anything less than a gun is too dangerous to use in any situation you might actually use it.

It's essentially an admittance that cops go from 0 to shoot-to-kill in any situation beyond complete compliance and that pepperspray and tasers are used to punish people, not as a less lethal option.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is how police psych themselves up before a killing. "He's nuts, he's wasted, he's hard as nails."

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Was it a Phillips head?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

I have a friend who's an MP, and just recently got tased and hit with OC spray, and he described spray as way worse.
The spray is definitely way more painful. Taser only hurts for a few seconds really, but I don't know how anyone could walk that thing off. I totally thought I was gonna hard man it but it's like getting hit by Mike Tyson. One second you're standing up, then you're not. Edit: I didn't get hit with the prongs and I don't ever want to. Those things look nasty.

Bob James posted:

Was it a Phillips head?
If it was a Torx driver then I changed my mind and it was a good shoot.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 19, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bob James posted:

Was it a Phillips head?

If it's a flathead, that counts as an edged weapon and is even further justification for the the shooting (my justification standards are incredibly low).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The spray is definitely way more painful. Taser only hurts for a few seconds really, but I don't know how anyone could walk that thing off. I totally thought I was gonna hard man it but it's like getting hit by Mike Tyson. One second you're standing up, then you're not.

But what if you're "hard as nails"?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The spray is definitely way more painful. Taser only hurts for a few seconds really, but I don't know how anyone could walk that thing off. I totally thought I was gonna hard man it but it's like getting hit by Mike Tyson. One second you're standing up, then you're not.

Yeah, he said the complete loss of body control was more disconcerting, but way less painful.

My argument is that "holy poo poo pepperspray" is not me having an overly harsh reaction, it's more than enough to take out anyone less beefy than Halfthor, and the whole "insane guy on angel-dust hulking up" is more of a bullshit anecdote. I don't buy it.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bob James posted:

Was it a Phillips head?

This is a good point. A knife can cut through kevlar, and a flat head at the right angle might be able to cut through the kevlar, but it's unlikely. A phillips probably wouldn't go through at all

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It's not surprising that you don't understand, because you seem very used to compliantly agreeing with hazy cop logic that a screwdriver is just as dangerous as a knife and warrants the same instant killing.

Is a screwdriver somewhere below a knife on the "danger" scale? Sure. Is it still capable of killing someone? Sure. Do the police have a duty to let the guy stab them with a screwdriver while they try to beat him to the ground with batons/fumble with OC spray/try to tase him? Nope.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

semper wifi posted:

Is a screwdriver somewhere below a knife on the "danger" scale? Sure. Is it still capable of killing someone? Sure. Do the police have a duty to let the guy stab them with a screwdriver while they try to beat him to the ground with batons/fumble with OC spray/try to tase him? Nope.

No, their duty is to kill anyone who isn't kneeling on the ground, we get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm going to go ahead and remind everyone in this thread that police in other countries manage to handle stuff like this all the time, without using deadly force.

We should ban everyday cops from carrying guns, and bring in specially trained officers whenever more force is necessary (active shooter scenarios, etc).

• Locked thread