Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Does anyone care that Glenn Beck announced today he is 100% through with the Republican Party?

It's interesting because as far as a lot of tea party types are concerned, he's the only really honest news source left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “First of all, you have to recognize they go back thousands and thousands of years, really back to the battle between Jacob and Esau.” ~ Ben Carson, on Islamic fundamentalism.

Is there some weird David Barton alt- history thing he is citing there, or did he just screw up that badly?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Does anyone care that Glenn Beck announced today he is 100% through with the Republican Party?

It's interesting because as far as a lot of tea party types are concerned, he's the only really honest news source left.

is this the 3rd or 4th time he's done this now?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

edit woops

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freep does this every few weeks and still votes straight-ticket republican.

It's really quite fascinating.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

This is at least the third time Glenn Beck has quit the Republican party.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there some weird David Barton alt- history thing he is citing there, or did he just screw up that badly?

They really have no idea what they're talking about because all they know is Dave Barton history.

Fried Chicken posted:

is this the 3rd or 4th time he's done this now?

At least, and yet he will hold his nose and vote Republican when the time comes.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

quote:

Last Friday, the National Rifle Association’s website indicated it would investigate board member and right-wing activist Grover Norquist over possible sympathies for the Muslim Brotherhood. The move came after Beck aired accusations against Norquist during Friday’s broadcast.

Haha, what the gently caress? How did I miss this?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

A quick civics point while we discuss the budget: Budget Resolutions are non-binding guideline documents for Congress, requiring agreement of both chambers, but not the executive.

Here's a flowchart of the process.

The last time that process actually happened all the way through was 2009. Only occasionally since then has either chamber passed a budget resolution. Only twice have both chambers passed a budget resolution since 2009 and, in that instance, the chambers were not able to agree on a conference report until a lame duck session.

I'm confused, is this what was talked about earlier regarding the GOP using reconciliation to effectively repeal Obamacare? What are the odds that the GOP can essentially repeal Obamacare via a budget resolution?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh and, by the way, Senator Mark Kirk has now rejected the two state solution.

I'm legitimately interested in what the Graham/McCain/Ayotte crew are going to do now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Aerox posted:

Norquist has turned into a lefty islamist-sympathizer after experiencing an existential awakening at Burning Man.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm confused, is this what was talked about earlier regarding the GOP using reconciliation to effectively repeal Obamacare? What are the odds that the GOP can essentially repeal Obamacare via a budget resolution?

zero, because then it faces a veto

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

They can pass a budget resolution that recommends defunding Obamacare, but a repeal bill, even one passed through reconciliation (which they can do once a year) would require the President's signature.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They'll have to flip because Bibi winning is a repudiation of logic and radical Republicans are married to Jewish State of Israel spiel.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aerox posted:

Here's the background on the Norquist / NRA imbroglio. Wayne is in a bind because the NRA is essentially a Tea Party group now, so he has to pay lip service to Gaffney's racist idiocy, but wants to maintain the veneer of respectability that Grover gives him.

I guess he could solve that problem by reverting his organization to a trade group instead of an arm of movement conservatism, but :lol: Wayne's never going back.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Oh and, by the way, Senator Mark Kirk has now rejected the two state solution.

I'm legitimately interested in what the Graham/McCain/Ayotte crew are going to do now.

Kirk knows which way the wind blows for the Chicago Jewish donor community. Good on Kirk, taking a bold and pragmatic stand which recognizes reality over recognizing wishy-washy hopey-changey'ness. Rejection of a two-state solution will soon be a bipartisan issue. Thanks, Obama.

Nonsense posted:

They'll have to flip because Bibi winning is a repudiation of logic and radical Republicans are married to Jewish State of Israel spiel.

The only thing radical about Mark Kirk are his morning steps.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Nonsense posted:

It does make it impossible for the US to get much international support regarding Israel if that's actually official policy and that fact isn't lost on them.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speaking as a former truck driver (and driving instructor) I feel that automating 18-wheelers is a very loving long way off. Aiming a truck between the two white lines on a fair day under a decent load is easy, anyone can be trained to do that in a couple hours. That isn;t what truck drivers get paid to do. Truck drivers get paid to do what is called "controlling space" which is a collection of abstract skills involving reading the psychology of the shithead drivers around you. If you have ever been slowly passing a truck on the left when he starts to drift towards your lane and you got scared and accelerated away you just got "the push", a common tactic every driver does 15 times an hour. The purpose is to keep that left lane open so the driver can change lanes and avoid an accident if possible, but whether you can do it successfully or not depends on a host of factors as well as being able to see if the driver of the 4-wheeler (trucker speak for anything not a semi) is even paying attention enough. There are dozens of cute little tactics like these that are massively situation depending and I just don't see an AI being able to handle them.

And that is before we get into crisis management. I would like to see the AI that can react to a sudden drive axle blow out while going downhill around a left curve with a load of paper rolls on the back and traffic slowing in front of it(a situation that actually happened to me). Without a detailed knowledge of exactly how that specific truck handles in combination with exactly how the load is sitting in the trailer an accident is going to occur. I'm not saying it won't be possible for an AI to someday handle that, I am just saying that right now Truck Drivers are paid for their instincts in poo poo situations (that occur multiple times every hour in any sort of traffic because humans are loving retarded). And that isn;t getting into the bizarre one offs that can occur, like a rock slide/sandstorm/sudden blizzard/idiot 4-whjeeler three lanes to your left spins out on some black ice and panics.

Also, as far as having a "drop in" remote driver, no, not gonna happen. Drivers are expected to be able to spot and react to a situation within 3/4 of a second. Even if you could have a driver drop in right perfectly instantly, they wouldn't have enough information to perform the instinctual reactions that a regular truck driver will have. (Load weight, distribution, height, wind speed and direction, tire conditions, brake conditions, road conditions, is the shithead in front of you yakking on his cell phone, etc etc etc.)

And then there is the problem that outside of major cities, the Interstate system is pretty undeveloped. Back in 2006 there were long stretches of Interstate in the country with no guardrails and 500+ foot drop offs. I don't see those thousands of miles of roads being upgraded to handle automated vehicles anytime soon.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 19, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pictured: The modern GOP

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prester John posted:

Important hurdles for autonomous multi-axle longhaul vehicles

This is true. But autonomous vehicles could create a cultural shift, where people live within range of public vehicle pools instead of owning a car that sits idle. This would change supply lines and the demand for truck drivers.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fried Chicken posted:

This is a batshit Fundy thing. Jacob and Esau were both sons of Isaac. Its kind of a weird tale, wikipedia has decent write up.

Wikipedia posted:

The Book of Genesis contains the story of Jacob and Esau focusing on Esau's loss of his birthright to Jacob and the conflict that had spawned between their descendant nations because of Jacob's deception of their aged and blind father, Isaac, in order to receive Esau's birthright/blessing from Isaac.

This conflict was paralleled by the affection the parents had for their favored child: "Now Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison, and Rebekah loved Jacob." (Genesis 25:28). Even since conception, their conflict was foreshadowed: "And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to enquire of the Lord. And the Lord said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger." (Genesis 25:22–23)

Then at birth, “his brother came out, with his hand grasping Esau's heel; so he was named Jacob”. This passage in Genesis 25:26 is as if Jacob was seemingly trying to pull Esau back into the womb so that he could be firstborn.[1] The grasping of the heel is also a reference to deceptive behavior.[2]

In Genesis, Esau returned to his brother Jacob being famished from the fields. He begged his twin brother to give him some "red pottage". (paralleling his nickname, Hebrew: אדום‎ (`Edom, meaning "Red").) Jacob offered to give Esau a bowl of stew in exchange for his birthright (the right to be recognized as firstborn) and Esau agreed.[3]

The birthright has to do with inheritance of goods and position both. The tale is typically biblical. Esau acts impulsively. As he did not value his birthright over a bowl of lentil stew, by his actions, Esau demonstrates that he does not deserve to be the one who continues Abraham's responsibilities and rewards under God's covenant, since he does not have the steady, thoughtful qualities which are required.[4]

Jacob shows his wiliness as well as his greater intelligence and forethought. What he does is not quite honorable, though not illegal. The birthright benefit that he gains is at least partially valid, although he is insecure enough about it to conspire later with his mother to deceive his father so as to gain the blessing for the first-born as well.[4]

Later, Esau marries two wives, both Hittite women, that is, locals, in violation of Abraham's (and God's) injunction not to take wives from among the Canaanite population. Again, one gets the sense of a headstrong person who acts impulsively, without sufficient thought (Gen.26:34-35). His marriage is described as a vexation to both Rebekah and Isaac. Even his father, who has strong affection for him, is hurt by his act. This action alone forever rules out Esau as the bearer of patriarchal continuity. Esau could have overcome the sale of his birthright; Isaac was still prepared to give him the blessing due the firstborn. But acquiring foreign wives meant the detachment of his children from the Abrahamic line. Despite the deception on the part of Jacob and his mother to gain Isaac's patriarchal blessing, Jacob's vocation as Isaac's legitimate heir in the continued founding of the Jewish people is reaffirmed. Daniel J. Elazar suggests that the Bible indicates that a bright, calculating person who, at times, is less than honest, is preferable as a founder over a bluff, impulsive one who cannot make discriminating choices.

Basically in fundie crazyland Esau's descendants go on to found Islam (somehow) and Jacob's descendants founds Jews and later Christianity......somehow. Ever since then the "two nations" have been fighting each other. (Please ignore all of recorded history)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Important note on all of this: Ben Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Duke Igthorn posted:

You mean MORE rational than those 45 minute "employment tests" that ask you, over and over, if you think stealing is ok or if, in certain situations, it's ok to not blow every boss and customer???

Oh yeah, let me tell you about my mother

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prester John posted:

Basically in fundie crazyland Esau's descendants go on to found Islam (somehow) and Jacob's descendants founds Jews and later Christianity......somehow. Ever since then the "two nations" have been fighting each other. (Please ignore all of recorded history)

I was raised Presbyterian and I know this meme. I guess it isn't strictly the creation of Muslims, but the 'distinction' between Jews and other semitic people.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Aerox posted:

That sounds like something you'd end up with playing Batshit Insane Mad-Libs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

You mean MORE rational than those 45 minute "employment tests" that ask you, over and over, if you think stealing is ok or if, in certain situations, it's ok to not blow every boss and customer???

i wonder if anyone has ever answered one of those things honestly before

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

forbidden lesbian posted:

i wonder if anyone has ever answered one of those things honestly before

Tons of people have. We call them "unemployed". :smug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just took a class on the Easter Rising & Irish Civil War last semester, so this kinda jumped out at me.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/biden-if-youre-wearing-orange-youre-not-welcome-in-here-31073377.html

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

The only thing those tests do is make sure you never hire a bad liar.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Are states like Florida, Oklahoma and others governor elections permanently in mid-term elections? Seems like a huge advantage for the GOP.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mitt Romney posted:

Are states like Florida, Oklahoma and others governor elections permanently in mid-term elections? Seems like a huge advantage for the GOP.

Off the top of my head only Vermont, New Hampshire (every two years), West Virginia, Washington, either of the Dakotas and North Carolina hold their gubernatorial elections in the same year as the presidential.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

Bless Wikipedia, which says there are 39 states that don't hold Gubernatorial elections in Presidential years. Plus, New Hampshire and Vermont, which do only half the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_%28United_States%29#Gubernatorial_election_timeline_schedule

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

States get to set that, so its "permanent" in that it isn't going to change until their currently benefiting legislature and governor decide to change it. Which Florida is trying to do, but there is no chance in hell a governor who has won their position is going to sign a law to make their term even shorter, and very low odds you will have a legislature with a veto proof majority of the other party that is willing to take the political heat of cutting short the opposing party's time in office.

I suppose a popular referendum might do it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McDowell posted:

I was raised Presbyterian and I know this meme. I guess it isn't strictly the creation of Muslims, but the 'distinction' between Jews and other semitic people.

I am like 95% certain that Ishmael son of Abraham is considered the ancestor of the Arab peoples, not Esau son of Isaac.

Edit: Traditionally, not, y'know, anthropologically or anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

States get to set that, so its "permanent" in that it isn't going to change until their currently benefiting legislature and governor decide to change it. Which Florida is trying to do, but there is no chance in hell a governor who has won their position is going to sign a law to make their term even shorter, and very low odds you will have a legislature with a veto proof majority of the other party that is willing to take the political heat of cutting short the opposing party's time in office.

Wouldn't you typically make it longer, or set the next term to be the short one?

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I am like 95% certain that Ishmael son of Abraham is considered the ancestor of the Arab peoples, not Esau son of Isaac.

Edit: Traditionally, not, y'know, anthropologically or anything.

Yeah. That's right. It's not Esau.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

An outgoing second term governor might do it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

A lot of tea party folks don't give a poo poo about glenn beck and haven't for a while.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

A lot of tea party folks don't give a poo poo about glenn beck and haven't for a while.

Beck was a flash-in-the-pan with no staying power. Having him headline your event won't raise any more.

Palin, now, there's a name with a reputation. You know what you're getting with Palin, and its something that draws a crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Chwoka posted:

The only thing those tests do is make sure you never hire a bad liar.

The companies know this. It's similar to the reason all the 419 scams are made to look so obvious. In the case of 419's you want to get gill net only the people likely to send you money, so making the e-mail obvious it's a scam cuts down on the costs of running the scam by ensuring only the most out-of-touch people respond.

For these "personality tests," it's ensuring that the people you hire are going to be of a minimum level of lucidity. A dude saying he thinks it's sometimes okay to steal poo poo from work may not ever actually steal anything, but he might have trouble in a work environment if he has not mastered the basic social skill of adjusting himself to suit the person he is interacting with.

• Locked thread