Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I've been going back and forth with people via email for weeks about a ballot petitions to make Michigan a vote by mail state like Oregon. Instead, the group I've been talking to wants to do ballot petitions for ending gerrymandering and "no-reason" absentee ballots for elections. Right now in Michigan you have to put a reason in writing why you want to vote absentee. No matter what I show them to convince them vote by mail is the way to go, they claim that it doesn't work and it's too complicated.

Meanwhile in Oregon, why even bother registering to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I've been going back and forth with people via email for weeks about a ballot petitions to make Michigan a vote by mail state like Oregon. Instead, the group I've been talking to wants to do ballot petitions for ending gerrymandering and "no-reason" absentee ballots for elections. Right now in Michigan you have to put a reason in writing why you want to vote absentee. No matter what I show them to convince them vote by mail is the way to go, they claim that it doesn't work and it's too complicated.

Point out that the SCOTUS is hearing a case on using neutral groups to get rid of gerrymandering and probably going to strike it down, so they should focus their efforts where it won't be moot in a few years

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Why isn't this the default already to begin with? I never understood having to register to vote especially in todays age where everything can be pulled up in seconds from a digital database

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why isn't this the default already to begin with? I never understood having to register to vote especially in todays age where everything can be pulled up in seconds from a digital database

you are given the option when doing federal activities (eg signing up for insurance on the exchange), but otherwise it is states rights

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Irish.

No, really, that's why the US has voter registration. To keep those pesky ethnics from the polls.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

For the April OP

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Huckster laying down some sense about job training programs, but the article ends with a nice little side note.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Point out that the SCOTUS is hearing a case on using neutral groups to get rid of gerrymandering and probably going to strike it down, so they should focus their efforts where it won't be moot in a few years

Actually, the likely ruling would strike down all three petitions, as a citizen initiative to require mail-in ballots would be just as infringing on the "right" of the legislature to determine the "manner" of elections as citizen initiatives for redistricting will soon be.

In other words, all citizen initiatives regarding election law (EDIT: that doesn't explicitly leave federal elections unchanged or require legislative approval of such changes) will be unconstitutional, not just redistricting.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Here's the background on the Norquist / NRA imbroglio. Wayne is in a bind because the NRA is essentially a Tea Party group now, so he has to pay lip service to Gaffney's racist idiocy, but wants to maintain the veneer of respectability that Grover gives him.

I guess he could solve that problem by reverting his organization to a trade group instead of an arm of movement conservatism, but :lol: Wayne's never going back.

A fight with the NRA on one side and Norquist on the other is wonderful. I hope they go scorched earth on each other but the reality is the NRA will probably find the claims baseless and that some Obama liberal gun hater tricked Gaffney or something. Even just seeing Norquist and his stupid group/pledge get destroyed would be a thing of beauty.

Everblight posted:

Pictured: The modern GOP

Does this mean that the Tea Party and its brothers, the Libertarian Party and the Constitutional Party, are going to imprison the GOP and take over?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prester John posted:

This is a batshit Fundy thing. Jacob and Esau were both sons of Isaac. Its kind of a weird tale, wikipedia has decent write up.

Basically in fundie crazyland Esau's descendants go on to found Islam (somehow) and Jacob's descendants founds Jews and later Christianity......somehow. Ever since then the "two nations" have been fighting each other. (Please ignore all of recorded history)

which is loving dumb because per both Islam and Judaism, Islam is descended from Ishmael, Jacob's uncle

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise, the House Budget process is in the middle of blowing up because defense hawks want to add $2b in military spending without a pay-for and deficit-hawks don't like that one bit.

The House budget committee markup is now in recess, subject to the call of the chair, at 10pm on a Wednesday. :bravo:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

For the April OP

loving strawberita is #20? Burn it all down.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise, the House Budget process is in the middle of blowing up because defense hawks want to add $2b in military spending without a pay-for and deficit-hawks don't like that one bit.

The House budget committee markup is now in recess, subject to the call of the chair, at 10pm on a Wednesday. :bravo:

It's interesting to see how they handle having someone to fight against that isn't going to capitulate immediately like the dems usually do.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Man, if there is anything this country really needs, its $2 billion more dollars spent on the military.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The female market is severely underutilized in beer, so a beer marketed towards women makes sense in a top 20 ranking. It's different in the craft beer market but that is still very much a niche market (though it is, far and away, the fastest growing segment of the market).

Kudos to loving Corona, though. When it first entered the US market, it was sold as a bargain-bin beer. Nobody would buy it because "Mexican beer is dirty". So, they rebranded themselves as a premium beer and marketed the poo poo out of themselves. Thirty-odd years later, they are loving #5.

PBR and Yuengling speak well to the millennial market, though. I'd be curious to see a gender and age breakdown.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Man it's gonna be awesome when the Second Vermont Republic is realized and we can start charging you rubes tariffs on our superior craft beers. :getin:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Man it's gonna be awesome when the Second Vermont Republic is realized and we can start charging you rubes tariffs on our superior craft beers. :getin:

As a Californian I am unconcerned.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

Man, if there is anything this country really needs, its $2 billion more dollars spent on the military.

I feel like at this point we should just take the Eisenhower route and claim all essential spending is "military." Infrastructure upgrades? Vital for troop movements if we're ever invaded. Medicare for all? Can't recruit troops from an unhealthy population! Immigration? Gotta keep our population up, so the commies don't overwhelm us!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

name one

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Days away from Bell's Oberon hitting the seasonal market. PBR my rear end.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 19, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Can you ferment maple syrup?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh god, a craft beer derail. the thread may never recover.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

sorry no one cares about vermont craft brews when you're right next to NY, MA, NH, ME

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

For the April OP

Glad to see Yuengling made the list, sad to see that 14 different iterations of Budweiser beat it out

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Getting back on track, word on the street (as of a half hour ago) is still that the House Budget committee wants to resume its session tonight, assuming that its Republican members can find some way out of this funding split.

Meanwhile, the Democrats on the committee are just leaning waaaaaay back.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Bonus quote for today:

Barack Obama posted:

You’ve got one side that is denying the facts, who are often motivated, principally, by opposing whatever it is that I propose,”

TP Article http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/03/18/3635504/obama-vice-interview/

And the actual VICE interview: https://news.vice.com/video/president-barack-obama-speaks-with-vice-news

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

joeburz posted:

sorry no one cares about vermont craft brews when you're right next to NY, MA, NH, ME

Hill farmstead is awesome

On topic, I like the budget cluster, but I guess none of the presidential hopefuls have to get their hands dirty

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 19, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Getting back on track, word on the street (as of a half hour ago) is still that the House Budget committee wants to resume its session tonight, assuming that its Republican members can find some way out of this funding split.

Meanwhile, the Democrats on the committee are just leaning waaaaaay back.
Okay, help me out here.

I thought the point of Republicans controlling both chambers of Congress was for them to get awful legislation (but not so awful that you don't get the one or two blue dogs you need to call the bill bipartisan) to Obama's desk, so he's constantly vetoing poo poo and the GOP gets to call him THE REAL OBSTRUCTIONIST so as to get the American masses to vote R in the 2016 general.

Was this clusterfuck actually expected? Is this how things went from 1994 to 2000? Or is the GOP irreparably incompetent?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As a Californian I am unconcerned.

As a Michigander, I am also unconcerned.

Days away from Bell's Oberon hitting the seasonal market. PBR my rear end.

Man, there are, like, a dozen beers out of Michigan better than Oberon.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 19, 2015

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, help me out here.

I thought the point of Republicans controlling both chambers of Congress was for them to get awful legislation (but not so awful that you don't get the one or two blue dogs you need to call the bill bipartisan) to Obama's desk, so he's constantly vetoing poo poo and the GOP gets to call him THE REAL OBSTRUCTIONIST so as to get the American masses to vote R in the 2016 general.

Was this clusterfuck actually expected? Is this how things went from 1994 to 2000? Or is the GOP irreparably incompetent?

Objection! Asked and answered.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, help me out here.

The meme about the GOP always voting in lockstep is exaggerated, to say the least.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Dammit, quote=/=edit

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 19, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, help me out here.

The GOP is seriously considering Scott Walker, so yes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

The meme about the GOP always voting in lockstep is exaggerated, to say the least.

Yeah, the GOP is currently split between the "no legislation" wing and the "bad legislation" wing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

computer parts posted:

It was a real thing to some extent prior to 2010 but it's absolutely not the case now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The dems are far, far more in lock step than the Republicans have ever been since Obama took office.

Turns out demonizing the other party makes the other party a lot more close knit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

For the April OP

There is exactly only one (1) good beer on that list. Holy poo poo, America.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Venom Snake posted:

The dems are far, far more in lock step than the Republicans have ever been since Obama took office.

Turns out demonizing the other party makes the other party a lot more close knit.

Turns out requiring far more ideological adherence makes a party more close knit, too, but that's what their primaries have become.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Maybe before the 2010 Tea Party wave took office, the difference between the bad legislation and no legislation wings of the GOP functionally didn't matter as much as they did once they actually got into power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There is exactly only one (1) good beer on that list. Holy poo poo, America.
A friend from Montana once described to me how they would not drink or eat anything that had even the smallest, smallest, SMALLEST hint that some part of it would be foreign and/or contain something other than the following ingredients: wheat, corn, or beef. That's the real America, and so distant from the one I grew up in that they should not even be the same country.

• Locked thread