Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

Yes. That's how Emporio defeated Pucci. You can be "rejected" by a stand though, like Jolyne was with Star Platinum.

Then why didn't Pucci load himself up with multiple stands at any point? He had dozens of them.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm now really sad that we never get to see Kakyoin macking on Joseph's mom, nor Joseph's reaction to it.

For about a month Joseph was macking on Joseph's mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Then why didn't Pucci load himself up with multiple stands at any point? He had dozens of them.

Well, it's not like Pucci ever lost a fight until the end.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joseph's mom has got it goin' on

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

To be honest, I always thought Whitesnake making everything illusory and melty was actually Pucci using someone else's stand disc, then just using the power through Whitesnake or some poo poo. I know this isn't stated anywhere in the manga, but it's more or less how I justified it I think.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

For about a month Joseph was macking on Joseph's mom.

I thought Pucci couldn't use the disks on himself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fucknag posted:

WELLL ACTUALLY

You could easily inflict a non-fatal injury that leads to another's death indirectly.

Your target's hanging off a cliff? Break your wrists. Standing on a narrow lip/tightrope/whatever? Sprain an ankle. Does healing the injury after it's inflicted also heal the target? If not, slit your throat then get immediate treatment from a healing stand or whatever.

Blinding yourself/your target midway through a fight with someone else would also be a major handicap.

Basically it's yet another case of "would be absolutely lethal if the user didn't handicap it"; someone not suicidal could think of plenty of ways to weaponize it beyond just "kill myself and one other". And it would be drat near unstoppable as a support stand alongside another, more physical one.

poo poo, just train your pain tolerance to be crazy-high and use it to put them in disablingly horrible pain, then just kill them the normal way.

e: this is not realistic for a human but I could totally see a JoJo character trying that

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Steely Dan would be unbeatable in a 1-on-1 fight, discuss.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All it would take is a constant reckless disregard for your own safety.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you killed him painlessly would Lovers even activate?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Lovers is pretty much just a crab pulling on nerves, so if you were to kill Dan really instantly, Lovers would probably just disappear.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They only took care of Lovers first so that Jotaro could get the pleasure of pummeling him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

If you killed him painlessly would Lovers even activate?
Considering there are such things as residual stands, it's possible, but ultimately unknowable.

That said if there were any Joestar to figure out some way to take him it would probably be Jolyne.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pucci using a dude as a cd player is up there for best moment of part 6

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Considering there are such things as residual stands, it's possible, but ultimately unknowable.

That said if there were any Joestar to figure out some way to take him it would probably be Jolyne.
Honestly, Jolyne doesn't even need to hurt herself to deal with Dan. She could just unravel herself away from Lovers.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
people keep talking up jolyne but there's one person perfectly fitted to kick steely dan's rear end one-on-one.

okuyasu

(or, being serious, FF)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Honestly, Jolyne doesn't even need to hurt herself to deal with Dan. She could just unravel herself away from Lovers.

I don't think she can unravel her head.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

Oh never mind. Setting herself on fire it is.

Effectronica posted:

people keep talking up jolyne but there's one person perfectly fitted to kick steely dan's rear end one-on-one.

okuyasu
Yeah, since death is null against Okuyasu. He is literally the strongest Stand user in the universe. But also the dumbest.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh never mind. Setting herself on fire it is.
Yeah, since death is null against Okuyasu. He is literally the strongest Stand user in the universe. But also the dumbest.

the joke i was trying for was that he's so dumb he wouldn't even notice lovers tearing apart his brain

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please don't bully Okuyasu.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Okuyasu's look in the first chapters comapred to the later ones always weirds me out. He gets so... cute.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TWIST FIST posted:

At one point she unraveled her whole body to keep safe inside Hermes (it was when they were on the plane).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

TWIST FIST posted:

She unraveled herself and hid inside Anasui that one time.
e: or hermes. someone. she hid in someone.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 19, 2015

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Hermes. On the underground memory ghost plane.

God, Part 6 was so good.

(I kept hoping when I was reading that part that it would turn out that flight was one of the ones Gray Fly did, but it didn't fit with the timeline...)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Momomo posted:

At one point she unraveled her whole body to keep safe inside Hermes (it was when they were on the plane).

Zeruel posted:

Oh, right. I think I read that in one of the stand info pages but it probably doesn't mean that much in the end.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, I think I remember Annasui warning Jolyne that she couldn't unravel her heart or else she would die in the C-Moon fight, but it's been a while since I read that fight.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thought, so theres confusion over DIO having two stands in part three, the world and his NotPurpleHermit, but he has a hybrid body, ie dio's head and jonathon's body, so like wouldn't it be possible for two stands to be housed there? or is it possible that his NPH is just an extentive power of The World?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it's more likely Araki had intended the World to have the powers of all the stands but changed his mind. NotPurpleHermit just being Jonathan's stand works fine too.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

RatHat posted:

I think it's more likely Araki had intended the World to have the powers of all the stands but changed his mind. NotPurpleHermit just being Jonathan's stand works fine too.

Could a corpse have a stand? Not including Bruno. Jonathan's corpse probably developed a stand when Enya stabbed DIO with the arrow, and unless she stabbed his forehead or something, she'd have stabbed Jonathan's bod.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zeruel posted:

Could a corpse have a stand?

Kira's cat and those two rats are dead and have stands.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always liked the theory that Hermit Purple was just the end-form of Hamon. Joseph and Jonathan were both Hamon users, Hamon is frequently linked with "Life" and "Nature" and Hermit Purple appears as a vine, conducts Hamon, etc.

It's not bulletproof but it's serviceable.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

holly looked like she was going to have a hermit purple like stand so it probably fits.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Zeruel posted:

Could a corpse have a stand?

Jesus?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I always liked the idea that The World was Jonathan's stand, and that it's actual power was to just have all the living Joestar's stand powers. Joseph's Hermit People, Jotaro's time stop, etc.

You can handwave his lack of using Josuke's restore ability by just asking why would Dio want to ever fix anything he breaks?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Davinci posted:

I always liked the idea that The World was Jonathan's stand, and that it's actual power was to just have all the living Joestar's stand powers. Joseph's Hermit People, Jotaro's time stop, etc.
SBR kinda shoots down this idea.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

SBR kinda shoots down this idea.

That's a Diego with The World, though. We don't really have any idea what his timeline or backstory is like. It could be a completely different setting with completely different rules. He's just a Dio who happens to also have ZA WARUDO for one reason or another.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd always heard that an artbook confirms The World as DIO's and DIO's Hermit Purple as Jonathan's.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

WickedHate posted:

Kira's cat and those two rats are dead and have stands.

Rat arc is also one of the best parts of DiU. Jotaro and Josuke have amazing chemistry.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

WickedHate posted:

That's a Diego with The World, though. We don't really have any idea what his timeline or backstory is like. It could be a completely different setting with completely different rules. He's just a Dio who happens to also have ZA WARUDO for one reason or another.
I was about to admit it muddles things a bit by having Diego Prime inheriting Franz Ferdinand's stand (the sentences his series makes me type), but then I remembered infinite universes implies every possible stand/user combination and then some so that's a wash.

This does remind me of a speculative post I read awhile back, though. Dio spent a lot of time at the bottom of the ocean, trapped in darkness, alone with his thoughts. When at last he emerges, he makes his headquarters in Egypt, a desert country, almost as though he had some lingering trauma from the event. Then you notice The World wears stylized diving gear.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The real answer is to not think about it too hard because Araki gives no gently caress about consistency and trying to think about any of this stuff too deeply is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like thinking about it too hard. :colbert:

Though you're pretty much exactly right about Araki just making things up as he goes along. I remember one author's note he went on about being bothered by second-hand smoke, the number of characters in Jojo who smoke dropping off significantly thereafter. Even switched Hol Horse from cigarettes to a smoke-less pipe.

• Locked thread