Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

I'm hoping to recreate this intersection. If it's anything like how it is in real life, nothing will work once rush hour starts.

It's an interchange design with insane amount of potential throughput. What fucks it up is the city generating an insane amount x2 in traffic. Busiest road on earth.

We have a traffic engineering thread on these forums btw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
This is a neat idea, build a central bus station where all your lines meet.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So my biggest problem playing this game, aside from having no idea how to build these beautiful loving interchanges everyone seems to have in their cities, is expanding out of the little plot of land you start with at the beginning of the game, even after I've bought more land. Should I be building more smaller towns down the highway, expanding my original town along the highway, or maybe even switching my original interchange to a cloverleaf and building on the other side? The only other city-builder I've played extensively is Tropico, so I have no idea how to deal with these vast expanses of land.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I almost want to build this abomination to see how it simulates.

Maybe it doesn't look to bad, but it has a 2 lane coming from downtown (Northeast) with an onramp feeding into it, then merges with another 3 lane, which gets reduced to 4 lanes total. But right now theres a ton of construction happening right after the merge, so theres only 3 lanes and traffic gets backed up REAL fast. Then everyone tries to get off the highway at the last second, clogging up all of the streets near it. Its great :v:

I wonder what my least favorite intersection looks like.

A lot more sane than it feels. I wonder if the westbound access is as backed up in game as it is in real life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JUST BUILD IT

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How do dams work? I've tried building one in different spots and elevations on the same river several times now and eventually it'll cause a reverse flow of water, flooding the dam itself :psyduck:, and won't generate power anymore. So I remove it, cause a tidal wave, and my poop river starts to flood my commercial area. :evilbuddy:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm closing in on about 150k and still having fun. I keep running into actual challenges. I'm finally getting enough traffic on my highways that the lovely little avenues with 4 off-ramps are getting backed up due to them being based on 2 traffic lights, so I'm making real interchanges. I'm having a hard time making them pretty/realistic though, but getting there.

I love it when there is an obvious problem/challenge. Freight rail depot is backed up so fix the road situation. Trucks are clogging a road, so build a freight station on the opposite side. Man freight rail is awesome. I have freight between all my industrial areas and 4 stops downtown just to service commercial buildings (it really gets used!). I banned trucked from the city centre, I'm not sure how it works though as the freight terminals still barf out tons of trucks even in areas where its banned, but there seems to be no cross-town truck traffic anymore. I think the heavy vehicle ban might only block trucks at the border, but trucks originating and ending within the zone are allowed.

Quite often my freight system looks more like a conveyor belt, it's just bumper to bumper freight trains, usually always 100% full.

Does anyone know why money can fluctuate so much? One moment I'm at +12k the next I'm losing 8k. Population is stable, so I'm guessing the reason is to do with imports/exports? I wish there was per-building info on this. I hope CO adds way more stats and more specific feed back. What isn't fun is when everything is going to poo poo and you have no idea why so you don't have any idea how to fix it. I still feel that way with level 3 offices, where and when I get them seems like some sort of voodoo. I had a big area of offices with a train station, multiple metros, bus, police, fire, parks, hospital, university, the works. Every single service building that exists in the game was within a few block. "not enough services to upgrade". Oh god tell me which one. Show me the points, show me that education is at 9/10 possible points, just tell me anything.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I threw this together in a couple minutes but it's basically just two diamond interchanges and a pseudo-frontage road between them, this will easily support a shitload of people as long as you zone your industry so it's closer to the highway than your residential (which you should be doing anyways). You can upgrade the one-ways to highways and offramps later when you get access, and tear parts of it out as needed to make fancy interchanges. In this setup I wouldn't be building next to the first bridge because I can't make the full onramp setup, so I would wait until I could buy the land above it, this is mostly because moving bridges is much more of a pain in the rear end than redesigning them.

MAke a roundabout and then bulldoze it later to replace with something fancy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chill la Chill posted:

How do dams work? I've tried building one in different spots and elevations on the same river several times now and eventually it'll cause a reverse flow of water, flooding the dam itself :psyduck:, and won't generate power anymore. So I remove it, cause a tidal wave, and my poop river starts to flood my commercial area. :evilbuddy:

This is one thing I don't like about dams. Building or removing them shouldn't cause a massive tidal wave that can gently caress up your entire town.

I mean, it's fun to watch, but ideally it's not so fun when it ruins what you're doing. Maybe have a "Decommission Dam" function, where the water levels are equalized and it's dismantled over time instead of the Click-Disappear-Hope Everyone Can Swim method it uses now.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

What do you mean with "reverse flow of water"? Does the dam itself start pumping water the wrong way or does it just back up so much that it overflows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Don't know if this has already been posted or not, but for people who've made giant skyscraper metropolises, someone's made a kick rear end Mirror's Edge Runner Vision colour filter:

http://www.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406985813

And The Shard to go along with it:

http://www.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406736706

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

hmmm... this is what cargo ports are supposed to look like right

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Awesome, thank you!

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Any way to un-gently caress this? I'm not sure what I did wrong really, just used someone's custom map.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Had a strange problem last night, one of my industrial areas kept going almost totally abandoned from lack of workers, despite the other one being staffed fine, and both the forestry and farming areas I built later also worked fine. I can't see why it would have been any worse, as it had equal if not better highway connectivity than the other successful industrial area. :confused:

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Well if what I know from Super Mario Sunshine is true then yes, yes they are.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Not as bad, but this interchange in Waterbury, CT is basically an unholy monstrosity that doesn't work, causes accidents, and won't even be sufficient for traffic volume in ten years. I've almost been hit on this thing more times than I can count.

I'd try making it in Cities, but I'd need one of those pillar-less mods to properly build the tri-level ramps that run directly underneath each other. :suicide:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Domattee posted:

What do you mean with "reverse flow of water"? Does the dam itself start pumping water the wrong way or does it just back up so much that it overflows.
Depending on the volume where the outflow of the dam is, the outflow can flood the river at the bottom of the dam, which can backflow over the dam temporarily stopping the flow at the dam outlet, which allows enough time for the tidal wave to propagate down the river and probably flood everything. And then probably do it a couple times before the system manages to hit steady state.

The water physics in this game are awesomely broken and I kind of hope they aren't fixed. I moved a dozen water pumps at a dam inlet upstream to make room for water treatment plants to supercharge the dam. Moving the pumps caused a momentary imbalance in flows until a tidal wave crested the dam, ran downstream and across the bay, and flooded my reclaimed land neighborhood.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

This is incredible fun, and agent-based traffic is something I've wanted in a city sim since the 90s- my only problem so far is that it doesn't model midwestern American cities very well yet; I'm lacking in gigantic fields of corn/wheat, there aren't enough 19th/20th century commercial buildings, parking lots seem tiny, and traffic is murdered by the lack a right-turn-on-red rule, among other things. It's a really minor gripe, though-

It shows in a lot of ways that the game was made by people who are used to where they live and work, which looks a lot like a well-planned CS city:

and not so much used to where I live and work (same scale)-

US-59 there isn't so much a highway as it is a four-lane two-way road with a fifth turning lane in the middle, shops and restaurants and strip malls and small offices lining either side. When I try and grid like this in CS, the two-lane grids work sort of alright, but their connections to the 'mega-grid' four/six lane backbones get choked right out, and so does traffic along expanded 4-lanes, like 9th St there. I'd really like to recreate the lands of my people, or at the very least work in a context I'm used to, but the strategy of connecting a huge swath of land with a pretty consistent 1mi x 1mi grid, highways running diagonally, gets messy.

That said, I'm pretty confident mods/DLC/expansions will satisfy me sooner than I think, right now I'd really love some low-density-style 3/5 lane roads and the ability for the pathing AI to use them. But so far so good- I was able to use terrain.party to grab a 5x5 map that covers most of my hometown, save for the bits they've built since 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing what it would look like if 21st century Finns colonized the area and that is still super fun and addictive.

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 19, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Enigma89 posted:

I got the mod that deletes vacants and torched buildings.

Decided I am going to leave my computer on all day with the game running. Will be interesting how things look like when I get back. Maybe nothing bad will happen, maybe my city will be a complete mess?

Here is what it looks like. Should be back in 5 hours so who knows what it will look like.

Well this was a complete fail. I thought incineration plants were also land fills. So my city ended up going bankrupt after the landfills got to 100%. Game went forward 8 years. Oh well. At least I know now.

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

I added the combine tower to my city. Looks pretty cool.

I also turned this 3 way interchange into a 4 way interchange. It worked out well enough. I like the way it looks and traffic flows quite well on it.

noxiousg fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 19, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Redkist posted:

Any way to un-gently caress this? I'm not sure what I did wrong really, just used someone's custom map.

I'm no expert, but you probably want to kill those intersections by removing those roads on the right, and also extend the end of the road through that building and on towards whatever it is that people want to go to. Traffic is backing up because of stops at the intersection, and because everyone wants to turn left so they're all piling into that lane.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized something that doesn't bode well. With how free it is to mod the game easily and do so much with that, it's inevitable there will be bigger mods that other mods depend upon. It may not be as bad as the simcity 4 community, but... :ohdear:

Just imagine, you want to download this cool building on the workshop. Only it says it won't work if you don't have this other mod. So you download it, only to discover it too needs another mod to work. And this keeps going and going.
We may not escape dependency hell after all.
And with the non-sandboxing of mods, those that phone home or do other horrors seen in KSP or Minecraft Communities, we may see worse!

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 19, 2015

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I'm still really confused how to 'encourage' people to move into my city. All of my RCI demands zero and I'm getting like 10 people a week. Do I need more services or what?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zedprime posted:

The water physics in this game are awesomely broken and I kind of hope they aren't fixed. I moved a dozen water pumps at a dam inlet upstream to make room for water treatment plants to supercharge the dam. Moving the pumps caused a momentary imbalance in flows until a tidal wave crested the dam, ran downstream and across the bay, and flooded my reclaimed land neighborhood.
I uploaded the save because I spent entirely too much time the other day preventing the flooding of my reclaimed area without reverting any further than that one save so it might provide a momentary diversion from sweet roundabouts if you haven't witnessed the horror of working on river dynamics while paused.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Domattee posted:

The little arrows start to reverse and eventually the lake that the river flows into will equalize then flood the dam the other way. It gets backed up but from the opposite direction. I'll try to make a video. It's really weird.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Spend 4 hours finally fixing some of your city's most dire problems ---> Fix said problems ---> Feel a great sense of pride over your accomplishments ---> reach over keyboard for refreshing cup of water ---> Hit F2 (quick load).

:smith:

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 19, 2015

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

What did you do

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Maybe it doesn't look to bad, but it has a 2 lane coming from downtown (Northeast) with an onramp feeding into it, then merges with another 3 lane, which gets reduced to 4 lanes total. But right now theres a ton of construction happening right after the merge, so theres only 3 lanes and traffic gets backed up REAL fast. Then everyone tries to get off the highway at the last second, clogging up all of the streets near it. Its great :v:

GrabbinPeels posted:

I wonder what my least favorite intersection looks like.

A lot more sane than it feels. I wonder if the westbound access is as backed up in game as it is in real life.

Yours at least have space to look vaguely like they follow some sort of design template. Compare:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

I just realized something that doesn't bode well. With how free it is to mod the game easily and do so much with that, it's inevitable there will be bigger mods that other mods depend upon. It may not be as bad as the simcity 4 community, but... :ohdear:

Dependencies weren't bad. The fresh hell of installing SC4 mods was hunting them down and then running a billion exes to install everything. Workshop should take care of both of those issues.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Roadie posted:

The game really needs to have some sort of randomized lifespan for cims. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate a random death date for each cim based on actuarial tables or whatever.

1) Edit asset and save it. This makes a new .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets.
2) Subscribe to asset on Workshop.
3) In Content Manager, go to the Workshop version of the asset and use the Update button.
4) In the new popup, use the folder button, which will open a new window in Explorer/Finder/whatever to a staging folder for that workshop item.
5) Manually copy the new .crp file over the old one in the staging folder.
6) Manually copy a new snapshot over PreviewImage.png in the staging folder.
7) Go back into Skylines and submit the asset update.
8) Delete the .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets to keep the game from complaining at you about duplicate assets.

It's awkward as hell.

Man I just went through that after I found out my oval-about had a liner road I missed. That poo poo is stupid as hell. At least now it's fixed, but goddamn that is an awkard as hell process.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

The little arrows start to reverse and eventually the lake that the river flows into will equalize then flood the dam the other way. It gets backed up but from the opposite direction. I'll try to make a video. It's really weird.

Hah, I've seen that too. It's just straight up a bug where the dam actually starts pumping the wrong way. It seems to be happen sometimes when water floods the dam? Haven't completely figured out what triggers it yet. It won't fix itself you'll have to destroy the dam, wait for the waves to settle and then rebuild.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

children's safety is a top priority for me as mayor

edit: phew they fixed it

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 19, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, gently caress.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

I started using the map editor today to try to recreate the greater Springfield, MA area in the game. I used terrain party to get the basic height map of the area, but it is frustrating that you have to manually sprout rivers above the water line. I was used to the SimCity 4 "anything below this altitude is water" way of maps and I had to unlearn what i had learned. Unfortunately, trying to craft rivers and bodies of water after importing height maps was a bit rough. I got the hang of it, though.

Could you upload this to the workshop and link to it here?

Also, for anyone who has used http://terrain.party/ :
  • Do you have any tips for getting the water right? I'm struggling to get the hang of it.
  • Does the 1:1 scale make sense? I was thinking that with the gameplay, something more like 1.5 (real world) to 1 (game) would give more realistic looking cities.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Can somehow explain how to properly drain an area? I'm starting a new city on the islands map and I dammed off the center sea. I'm trying to drain it now but the pumps don't seem like they are pumping anything.

I actually don't have a city yet, I planned to do all my city building in the drained area :downs: I built a ton of nuclear power plants to create a water demand, but it isn't working (or is working very slowly). Help?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

Could you upload this to the workshop and link to it here?

Also, for anyone who has used http://terrain.party/ :
  • Do you have any tips for getting the water right? I'm struggling to get the hang of it.
  • Does the 1:1 scale make sense? I was thinking that with the gameplay, something more like 1.5 (real world) to 1 (game) would give more realistic looking cities.

I'm actually just now trying out my second custom map, and after using terrain party quite a bit I've decided that the scale you really want to go for in most instances is something like 3:1 scale. terrain.party pulls really low resolution heightmaps most of the time, which honestly look awful. Both of my maps have ended up being photoshopped amalgamations of various different places in order to look a little natural. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're going for a 1:1 recreation of a real place.

As for the water, place the water sources near the edge of the map. In game your camera is limited so that you can't see the map edges. That lets the sources flow out awkwardly, but by the time they enter the actual gamespace the river should look fine. Raise and lower the sources to determine the height from which they produce water, and you can control the level of the ocean with the sea level thing. I'm not sure if there's anything more than that to it.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I'm sure this interchange would work perfectly in Cities

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

hitze posted:

How does this even work :psyduck:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

hitze posted:

I think you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Bel Monte posted:

Just imagine, you want to download this cool building on the workshop. Only it says it won't work if you don't have this other mod. So you download it, only to discover it too needs another mod to work. And this keeps going and going.
We may not escape dependency hell after all.
And with the non-sandboxing of mods, those that phone home or do other horrors seen in KSP or Minecraft Communities, we may see worse!

Turtle shaped offramps all the way down

I wanted to join the local highway showoff and I found what looks like it should be a train switch station.

However my least favorite part of the commute to Philadelphia is just before you enter Chester, where 322 merges with I-95. It's straightforward enough, just a highway merging into an interstate, but the northbound traffic merges from the west side on the left. This is a problem because everyone coming from the suburbs down 322 is trying to get to their job in New Jersey across the commodore barry bridge. Which is an eastbound exit all the way on the right side exactly 1km from the merger leaving you with tons of people trying to cut across 3 lanes of a highway to make the offramp. Oh also there is a second highway merging in on the right hand side along this 1km stretch with people trying to get the gently caress out of the lane before they are forced to exit and end up in jersey.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2015