Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I still remember being in the fandom when that was a topic that was literally banned for discussion because people took it too personally :P

It's odd to me that I prefer the overall vibe of the show and the skits during the Joel era, but a lot of my favorite episodes are Mike episodes and especially from the Sci-Fi era. It feels like some of the riffs in that period were a lot harder hitting, but the skits didn't hit home nearly as often. Though I definitely noticed the quality overall of the wraparounds didn't dip until after Frank Conniff left, so I'm wondering if he was a big part of the stuff I liked. One of my friends doesn't even differentiate the show by hosts or network, just Pre and Post Frank.

Of the post-MST3K ventures, I have to lean on Rifftrax as being the superior one though. I tried Cinematic Titanic, I did - they had several of the episodes for free on Amazon Prime for awhile so I could sample it. But the jokes just weren't that funny and somehow the movies they chose felt like more of a chore to sit through overall. Like a whole bunch of "Castle of Fu Manchus" O_O

While I've hardly seen all that Rifftrax has to offer and I definitely know there's some clunkers in that series, the live shows have all been fantastic and the fact they still regularly riff on weird short films is a plus. Plus they somehow made a Super Mario Bros. riff FUNNY when I bought it almost dead certain it would be as tortuous as the film itself but too morbidly curious to wait for someone else's review to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Cinematic Titanic's live tours were fun to go and see, my issue was their output was very slow, and it seemed that they limited themselves in the kind of movies they did. That being said, I still want to see those guys and the Rifftrax guys collaborate more. I want a riff with Mike and Joel together.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
http://www.amazon.com/So-Bad-Its-Good-II/dp/1507510632/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426716051&sr=8-1&keywords=so+bad+it%27s+good+2

The sequel to So Bad It's Good is out, and I wrote a couple of bits for it. There's also a bit by Greg Sestero!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mokinokaro posted:

Not sure if I can agree. Mike really had some classics too and I preferred his delivery.

(Not disparaging Joel at all. He was great in his way too, but Mike was still doing a lot of the writing.)

Yeah, I love Mike too, and his writing was important to the show. But the show really hit its stride in season 3 when they were all on the show (Mike is in the episode I linked, he's the pianist at the end). Joel had a better rapport with the robots (he was the one who created them, the show was mostly his baby in the beginning). Joel was responsible for a lot of the weird dry humor and surreal gadgetry. When they lost Joel, they lost a big part of the show.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZakAce posted:

Seeing as noone's posted this:

New Cinemadonna! A League of Their Own: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-a-league-of-their-own-7176582

Next up: Body of Evidence. YESSSS :getin:

Body of Evidence is going to be AMAZING. I hope Todd gets Lindsay to join him in some form, just to pay off some continuity from way back.

Also it's kind of weird to see him refer to A League of Their Own as a cultural classic deeply embedded in the very heart of American pop culture because I had literally never heard of the movie until I was looking at the films Madonna was in to know what Todd was going to review.

I mean it seems like the kind of thing I would have seen at some point, but I never have.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be The Final Sacrifice.

I agree!

(Rowsdower is mai waifu)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Fugitive Alien.

Close, but Time of the Apes is the best Sandy Frank MST3K riff.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 19, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I always had a fondness for Future War. I can't explain why. Also Manos. The Answer for the best film is always Manos. I always loved the eastern European fairy tails they watched too, especially The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. I think thats a legit good movie and I want a non riffed version of it.

I guess my view of MST3K will always be diffrent because I didn't know who they were until college and was watching through Youtube rips and DVDs.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 19, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gianthogweed posted:

Close, but Time of the Apes is the best Sandy Frank MST3K riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN10-n1NBc

Only the Canada Song touched this in the Mike Era, in my unhumble opinion. But it didn't have the epic JOEL DANCE!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

I always had a fondness for Future War. I can't explain why.

I guess my view of MST3K will always be diffrent because I didn't know who they were until college and was watching through Youtube rips and DVDs.

*Shot of the nun and her rather portly male friends* "The sad thing is that they're ALL former prostitutes"

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Just discovered this. Apparently they were sued for Godzilla vs. Megalon (one of my favorite episodes) so they couldn't use it for their new box set, so they filmed this instead.

https://youtu.be/0nPDIScaHJ4

Some scenes from Godzilla vs. Megalon

https://youtu.be/7cxV8Bf8ND4

https://youtu.be/j5OY1drc8_U

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 19, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Just discovered this. Apparently they were sued for Godzilla vs. Megalon (one of my favorite episodes) so they couldn't use it for their new box set, so they filmed this instead.

https://youtu.be/0nPDIScaHJ4

Some scenes from Godzilla vs. Megalon

https://youtu.be/7cxV8Bf8ND4

https://youtu.be/j5OY1drc8_U

Yeah, that wen't down when the set was already on the shelves from what I heard. So a few of those sets with the Godzilla films do exist.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I always had a fondness for Future War. I can't explain why. Also Manos. The Answer for the best film is always Manos. I always loved the eastern European fairy tails they watched too, especially The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. I think thats a legit good movie and I want a non riffed version of it.

I didn't know about MST3K til it was in its last run on Sci Fi, so most of my early MST3K experiences were from Napster downloads. LOL

Also "Remember to believe in magic...or I'll kill you!"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So was that story with the toy monkey like an official adaption of the Steven King story or did someone just decide to rip it off?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I didn't know about MST3K til it was in its last run on Sci Fi, so most of my early MST3K experiences were from Napster downloads. LOL

Yep, that's where I got that line from. Merlin's Mystical shop of Wonders. That film is pure, uncut "What the gently caress Hollywood?"

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

I can beat that, I didn't find out about it until it was about five episodes away from ending for good. At least I caught the series finale on time... Final Sacrifice also was my first episode because I was watching the reruns on Saturday mornings as well. I finally got rid of my pile of old VHS tapes in the last move since I have all of the episodes either legally or through streaming/torrent. Though it was hard to part with my episode of Space Mutiny that still had the commercials I taped when SciFi was advertising a Battlestar Galactica classic marathon and all the stolen spaceship footage was in the ads.

quote:

So you know, I always wanted to know what the hell was up with that movie. The director only has two credits to his name - Merlin's Hop, and The Devil's Gift, which was cannibalized for the Merlin Chop. So like... about ten years later he wound up in the position to sell a TV pilot, ran out of money, and then used his 1980s violent horror film with wraparounds to try and jam it in? I guess? Since that's what it looks like?!

There is probably an awesome story about that but I doubt we'll ever know :(

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Only have a passing familiarity with MST3K, just seen the greatest hits, but my fiancee seems proud of owning the Gamera box. Dunno if there were any issues over that or it was just Godzilla v. Megalon. It sits prominently atop a shelf though, so I kinda wondered if it was a rarer release.

(Kaiju kitty keychain hangin' out at the bottom there.)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The Merlin portions really reminded me of Full Moon's Pulsepounders and Moonbeam features, this odd mixture of whimsy and creepy.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Jay O posted:

Only have a passing familiarity with MST3K, just seen the greatest hits, but my fiancee seems proud of owning the Gamera box. Dunno if there were any issues over that or it was just Godzilla v. Megalon. It sits prominently atop a shelf though, so I kinda wondered it was a rarer release.

(Kaiju kitty keychain hangin' out at the bottom there.)

They can't release any of the Gamera episodes because they are Sandy Frank productions. They pissed off Sandy Frank pretty bad as a result of this sketch:

https://youtu.be/IvN10-n1NBc

Sandy Frank saw that and refused to let them have the rights to any more of his films. Now keep in mind, he didn't make any of the films, he just produced the US versions (the poor dubbing, etc.). And they couldn't release them on video or DVD. As far as I know they still can't. But people still upload them to youtube and you can still find bootlegs so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I first discovered MST3K in 1991 when we first got Comedy Central. I remember seeing the commercials and thinking that it looked like a dumb kids show. I had no idea it was about them riffing on movies. I caught a random episode midway through and saw that they were watching a cheesy ninja movie and found it pretty amusing. It wasn't until turkey day that I really got hooked though.

https://youtu.be/axr52jw3Izg Turkey day!

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 19, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jay O posted:

Only have a passing familiarity with MST3K, just seen the greatest hits, but my fiancee seems proud of owning the Gamera box. Dunno if there were any issues over that or it was just Godzilla v. Megalon. It sits prominently atop a shelf though, so I kinda wondered it was a rarer release.

It was the holy grail for years because apparently Japanese companies do NOT like MST3K and take their movies very seriously. The only reason they ever used to turn up on the show was because the deals were made with American distributors, who either got it or did not give two craps as long as they got paid. Toho knows what Godzilla is worth now and actually cares about who's putting their stuff out (read: not Sandy Frank.)

According to Shout Factory, Gamera was in the same boat as Kadokawa Films controlled the rights for about a decade after they'd run on MST3K the first time and were horrified by the treatment they (rightly) earned on the show. They only managed to get the 2011 release out because the rights to the North American distribution of the films shifted to a North American company who didn't give a crap. So that set was really popular since a lot of MSTies figured that this might be the only chance they'd get to buy them legally.

Gianthogweed posted:

They can't release any of the Gamera episodes because they are Sandy Frank productions. They pissed off Sandy Frank pretty bad as a result of this sketch:

Yea, I just linked that video, and that's actually just an urban legend that circulated for years. He was pissed for sure, but actually they disappeared from Comedy Central because the MST3K versions made them so popular he jacked up the cost of the rights renewal. Then he lost the rights because he was a hack.

You can actually STILL legally buy the Gamera set for the time being. They were streaming through Netflix at one point too, though I think all of MST3K is off Netflix now? I can't keep track of where it keeps hopping anymore.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Yup, looks like it's still readily available to me. Must be a headache dealing with all those licensors.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

There IS, however, a lot of MST3K on Shout Factory's streaming site: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

There IS, however, a lot of MST3K on Shout Factory's streaming site: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/

Oh god dammit, you might as well of handed me a crack pipe!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
"Santa's gonna cut you, man! Santa's a blade man, man!" was what introduced me to MST3K when flipping through the channels one day. Of course then Comedy Central cancelled it and I didn't know Sci-Fi picked it up until I happened upon it again a couple years later.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh cool, MST3K talk, I'm down.

I feel like I'm some kind of weirdo because everyone talks about how High School Big Shot is the most depressing MST episode. And, well, it is, but it's the one that makes me laugh a lot and it's one of my favorite eps. Schadenfreude much?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Girl from Lover's Lane is kinda sad. Also Red Zone Cuba is either a profound statement on the ultimate pointlessness of life, or just a lovely movie.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Red Zone Cuba is the most hateful piece of poo poo film that even MST3K doesn't make it bearable.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jay O posted:

Yup, looks like it's still readily available to me. Must be a headache dealing with all those licensors.

Every episode basically requires being licensed separately. That basically meant there were never any full season sets because for the longest time, there were a ton of episodes that were completely out of the realm of possibility - plus on top of that, obviously they never would have been able to sell them at a price people would buy them at while still turning a profit. One of the upsides to the DVD market crashing did mean suddenly a lot of rights holders loosened up though - stuff like Master Ninja finally got pried loose when NBC realized nobody else was interested in buying it anyway. Puma Man, one of the most popular episodes period, took years to license because Shout Factory actually was unable to locate who owned the rights and eventually turned to the fanbase to help investigate it because they didn't want another situation like Godzilla where they THOUGHT they had the rights but didn't. Plus a lot of the sets are now out of print because pretty much only MST3K collectors buy them and once they do, there's not much of an aftermarket. On the upside, Shout's been really on top of getting episodes on as many streaming services as possible, and that was even before they set up their own website.

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh god dammit, you might as well of handed me a crack pipe!

The Deep Hurting episode is up too :getin:

Compendium posted:

I feel like I'm some kind of weirdo because everyone talks about how High School Big Shot is the most depressing MST episode. And, well, it is, but it's the one that makes me laugh a lot and it's one of my favorite eps. Schadenfreude much?

I think it's because the movie itself is so drat dour. Everyone in movie is either dead or set to live a horrible life. The main character himself just suffers one indignity after another, and it never feels as goofily hilarious as it does in I Accuse My Parents.

Girl in Lovers Lane is a close second, but even though poor Carrie is strangled to death (yet somehow gains the ability to scream before dying in spite of a crushed wind pipe?), it does imply that the protagonists are going to turn their lives around. Though it still sucks I guess because Big Stupid and Danny are dumb idiots we don't care about and Carrie was a nice innocent person who just gets murdered by a creeper...

EDIT: ^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYl_YzcJMKU

They don't call John Carradine "The Voice!" for nothing!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Japanese Spider-man needs some riffing.

https://youtu.be/11hpv13xSzE

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I was first exposed to MST3K during their brief mid-90's syndication period. Late at night, flipping through local channels, I came across just a few seconds of a show where a gumball machine was talking to a stoner on a cheap sci-fi set, but almost immediately my parents told me to turn it off and go to bed, and I did because I was like nine. I had convinced myself that what I had remembered seeing was just a tired kid's mind playing tricks, but then years later I stumbled mid-way into Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. I'll never forget the line that made me stop channel surfing:

"This is how much pure cocaine you would need to enjoy this movie."

DStecks posted:

Red Zone Cuba is the most hateful piece of poo poo film that even MST3K doesn't make it bearable.

It's awful how many time you can say this, but *ahem* At Least MST3K Cut Out The Rape Scene

Red Zone Cuba is actually one of my top ten favorite episodes, but then again, Castle of Fu-Manchu, Monster A-Go-Go and the entire Coleman Francis trilogy used to be in my regular rotation, so my tastes are all clearly out of whack

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I've actually been with MST3k since the KTMA beginning. I just happened to live near the Minnesota border and got their satellite feed on C-SPAN.

The one episode of the show I cannot stand is Hamlet. It's just such a boring, lifeless rendition of that play that it's completely unenjoyable.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rebochan posted:

Er, I won't speak for Islam, but as a former evangelical Christian, yes their God is a literal singular person who lives in a specific place. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only branch of Christianity that runs with the "vague force" concept are Unitarians. Don't forget that the Old Testament contains a story in which humans build a tower so they can just walk to heaven whenever they want, and God struck it down and cursed them to speak different tongues over it.

That said, AA and Thunderf00t are shitheads and frankly, I am never surprised to learn how many MRAs are also atheists. For some reason, many of those communities on the internet REALLY love welcoming them, in spite of the irony that atheism as a broader political theory should be about dismantling a patriarchy reinforced by centuries of religious bullshit.

I know Anita Sarkeesian once stated she got far more harassment from self-proclaimed atheists than any religious group.

EDIT: Oh wow, I typed that up before the Jay O bomb drop.

Christianity is sort of an amalgamation of poo poo glued together. The Old Testamant very much thinks God is an anrgy, genocidal anthropomorphic guy who will come down and personally slaughter the women and children of anyone who crosses him. The Synoptic Gospels though are not really too concerned with that and are more in line with the Love thy Neighbor stuff, and could be interpreted to mean Eternal Life / the Kindgom of God refers to kindness and goodwill and stuff. And then the Gospel of John again doesn't imply that there's a anthropomorphic God at all really, but equates Jesus with a kind of metaphysical, mystical, unknowable state of transcendence and hardly mentions God the Father at all.

Now the actual practice of Christianity is a mixture of these things, but with the actual scripture specifically, there are very much identifiable parts that are saying very different things, even if they're not directly contradictory

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 19, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There's a list of full eps available on YouTube

Some of them are taken down once in a while, but for the most part it's been pretty reliable for me.

(My favorite ep is either "I Accuse My Parents" or "Girls Town.")

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

DoombatINC posted:

It's awful how many time you can say this, but *ahem* At Least MST3K Cut Out The Rape Scene

Fact: the first occurrence of this was for the movie Sidehackers. They chose it for an episode when the had the practice of writing the material before watching the whole thing and when it got to the rape scene, the had to awkwardly cut it because it was too late into production. ick

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DoombatINC posted:

Red Zone Cuba is actually one of my top ten favorite episodes, but then again, Castle of Fu-Manchu, Monster A-Go-Go and the entire Coleman Francis trilogy used to be in my regular rotation, so my tastes are all clearly out of whack

I have yet to figure out what Red Zone Cuba is even about even after multiple viewings and listens. Monster A-Go-Go is the one episode I absolutely cannot get through.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Joel leave MST3K entirely in the transition to Mike, or did he just switch to being a writer without appearing on camera?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gianthogweed posted:

Japanese Spider-man needs some riffing.

https://youtu.be/11hpv13xSzE

Fun fact - that show was the first to depict a superhero piloting a giant robot and is literally one of the three shows that served as a prototype for Toei's Super Sentai series. Battle Fever J, which was the first to be considered a Super Sentai, actually came to exist because Japanese Spider-Man was so popular they were going to do a Captain America series (as Captain J)... and somehow that morphed into a five-hero giant robot piloting battle team and birthed a franchise.

So what I'm trying to say is, the reason Japanese Spider-Man looks a lot like a Power Rangers show... it's because Power Rangers actually exists BECAUSE of Japanse Spider-Man.

I'm not just nerding out on the source material for Power Rangers by the way. I mean, I am, but it's also a nice seque to note that Linkara just released parts 1 and 2 of HOPR: RPM to Patreon subscribers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joel left because of some undisclosed disagreement with Jim Mallon, who is the only MST3K guy to not end up doing Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax--and the one guy none of the Best Brain alumni will discuss. Take that how you will.

Mallon retain the copyrights to all MST3K stuff and tried to do his own web series with a flash-animated Crow and Tom. It was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
My first episode of MST3K was "Invasion of the Neptune Men", which I just stumbled across one day as a kid. I got to see some of the final season as it aired, then watched the reruns for years and years before watching them online and on DVD became viable.

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.
Its definitely the best episode for introducing someone to the series.

Jack Gladney posted:

Joel left because of some undisclosed disagreement with Jim Mallon, who is the only MST3K guy to not end up doing Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax--and the one guy none of the Best Brain alumni will discuss. Take that how you will.
Apparently the last straw was Mallon's desire to make an MST3K feature film and going around Joel to get what he wanted. Joel wanted nothing to do with it, but Mallon met with movie studios and pitched the MST3K movie anyway. Mallon also threw a shitfit when Rhino Home Video hired Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett on for a direct-to-DVD series called 'The Film Crew', which riffed of public domain or cheap-to-license titles. A few episodes of the show were finished and ready to go, when Mallon threatened to both sue Rhino and relinquish the MST3K license from them if they didn't drop the project because he deemed it to similar to MST3K. As a result, it was shelved for years but eventually released right around when Rifftrax started.

• Locked thread