Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Surely, rationally speaking, engaging with Draco Malfoy and using his political connections and resources would far outweigh any mere rapes or murders Draco does along the way, out of boredom or pique. The greater good and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If you think rape's the worst thing people treat casually in the Harry Potter universe then I've got some unicorn blood to sell you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

sarehu posted:

If you think rape's the worst thing people treat casually in the Harry Potter universe then I've got some unicorn blood to sell you.

What are your views on Bayesian AI?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

sarehu posted:

Yeah because if you don't turn into a blubbering little baby you're a horrible person.

Sounds to me like you're bad at rationality.

:negative: It's true!

(But really, my point was less about "rationality" and more about how it's poor writing and a rather inconsistent characterization of Harry)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sarehu posted:

The hell are you talking about?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The english language.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

The hell are you talking about?

Dementors, probably.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
That, and the fact that parents are ok sending their children to a school where the students are constantly exposed to unnecessary danger. Hogwarts has a GOOD reputation. Just think how horrifying a shittier school would be. Defense against the dark arts classes sometimes involve live fire exercises with little oversight.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Look, the hungarian one just hit students against each other till the toughest one is left, ok? Besides, it builds moral fibre... **mutters about public schools.**

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I've been reluctantly reading along because I feel like I need to keep an eye on the big threads in this forum, got to that post, my skin tried to crawl into my eyeballs, but then I went "well, this is Something Awful after all." Mocking the horrible is part of the mission statement.

I don't know what else there is to do with this fic other than mock. Detailed literary criticism seems like a waste of effort for 660,000 words.

The writing is bad. Show don't tell is ignored. Characterization is inconsistent. Tone shifts are bizarre and whiplash inducing. Is this supposed to be a children's book with fallible eleven-year-old protagonist or a philosophical paean to Bayesianism?

The story is explicitly a didactic, pedagogical, rationalist tale, showing the reader how rationalists should think. Per intro: "This is a rationalist story; its mysteries are solvable, and meant to be solved" and "All science mentioned is real science". But the science presented isn't all correct! (Legacyspy, a less linguistically nitpicky criticism of the pouch passage is that it isn't a demonstration of natural language processing! Everything could have been done with a lookup table by a CS101 student.) The pedagogy is blatant and assaults (or insults) the reader with tons of jargon and belabored explanations of reciprocation theory and the like alongside self-congratulatory observations of how clever other characters are. Show don't tell!

The other thread of the fic introduced in the very beginning--'Harry applies the scientific method to the wizarding world'--is not explored well. The only experimentation so far has been with the pouch. But it stopped after one paragraph and didn't ever go beyond what a lookup table debugger would have done. The wizarding economy is dumb sure, but explore that! Why can't you just transfigure stuff to gold/silver/bronze and melt THAT down? Why can't you just conjure anything you want? 'Wizards are stupider than Harry and ignore muggles' is a pretty uninspired point to make. We're a good novella worth of words into the story and there isn't much science being explored. Perhaps comed-tea will change this?

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 19, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

That, and the fact that parents are ok sending their children to a school where the students are constantly exposed to unnecessary danger. Hogwarts has a GOOD reputation. Just think how horrifying a shittier school would be. Defense against the dark arts classes sometimes involve live fire exercises with little oversight.

"Hogwarts is the safest place in the wizarding world."

You could actually write a pretty good comedy fanfic by taking that quote as literally correct.

Ahhh Real Zombies!
Jul 16, 2007
Get it?
The first 17 chapters of this are for sale on Amazon. $7 and weirdly no kindle version. Although you'd think he'd add the rest of the story, but maybe he's going to charge seven bucks for chucks of chapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Methods-Rationality-Chapters/dp/B00E640ZAG

I hope JK's lawyers see it soon. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

The first 17 chapters of this are for sale on Amazon. $7 and weirdly no kindle version. Although you'd think he'd add the rest of the story, but maybe he's going to charge seven bucks for chucks of chapters.

Who is selling that? Because that's a pretty blatant copyright violation, isn't it?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

How has that listing been up for almost a year? 300,000 amazon sales rank for a book is actually quite a few sales. No ISBN so it probably is vanity press. The lone 'new' bookseller has 15 copies for sale but is otherwise a normal amazon seller account selling almost exclusively books. 1,000 seller feedback/year translates to ~30,000 sales/year --a respectable amount of business. Almost definitely not an amazon seller account that Yud personally runs, way more profitable than his AI foundation.

I wonder who created the listing and actually printed the books. With the shipping credit the seller only gets $8.02 minus shipping fees. Seems like a lot of work for a few bucks.

EDIT

And to state the obvious, this is a clear copyright violation without consent of J.K. Rowling.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Arcturas posted:

EDIT: I just had a thought about the "Teenagers joke about rape" thing. You could portray a teenager who told a rape joke, or even had a quasi-serious discussion about how to get away with rape, and still have that teenager be serious. Frankly, anyone who knows teenage boys who play games has heard rape jokes. But you know they're jokes, or that the discussion is purely theoretical, because you have other reasons to believe that the people in the discussion are still good people. That's why Draco comes across so poorly here - all Harry (and we) know about him is that he's rich, manipulative, and has a plausible rape scheme. BUT. But we don't know that Yud's Harry is also a good person. He's told us he's a good person, but we haven't seen him do anything to be a good person. (This is why show-not-tell is so important)

Instead, we have seen Harry act in a way that's entirely consistent with the Malfoy rape plan. Think about what he's done: get a letter, force Hogwarts to prove magic exists, lie to people trying to help him, steal from a bank, scold people when he admits he's stolen money, be slightly charming around his parent, make a lot of promises inside his head, be rude to a bunch of people who are trying to be nice to him, manipulate them while he's doing it, be rude to Ron when Ron tries to be nice, and hang out with Draco even though Draco's being an rear end in a top hat. None of that suggests that Harry wouldn't hop on the rape train.

I think one of the reasons that it's so egregious is that this 11 year old boy goes into detail about his plan to rape a (currently) 10 year old girl. He's not just throwing out the rape action for the shock factor like many boys of that age might do. Rather, he talks about how he would do it and then get away with his crime in a way that is presented as pretty much foolproof. It's not that he's making what would amount to an 11 year old boy's empty joke/boast; it's that he has clearly thought of how he would do it and then avoid the repercussions of what he recognizes as a heinous crime. He speaks and thinks like an adult would, in that he understands what exactly he is talking about re: the unforgivable nature of his crime, but we are, I guess, supposed to forgive him because??

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Legacyspy posted:

What is about this story that makes people so upset? angry? IDK but clearly there is a lot of hate for it and its not clear to me why.

It's SA man. Someone's gonna hate something and if they're funny they attract a bandwagon of people to hate the thing with them. If you try, you can probably picture the thread as a parody in-itself. Some of the complaints have been so dumb, I've almost wondered if it has been.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 7 – Reciprocation
Part Ten

quote:

"Huh? Do tell," Draco said, and started to take another swig of his Comed-Tea.

Harry didn't know if the enchantment worked more than once per can, but he did know he could avoid the blame, so he was careful to time it exactly right:

"I was thinking someday I'm going to marry that woman."

Draco made a horrid ker-splutching sound and leaked green fluid out the corners of his mouth like a broken car radiator. "Are you nuts? "

"Quite the opposite, I'm so sane it burns like ice."

"You've got weirder taste than a Lestrange," Draco said, sounding half-admiring about it. "And I suppose you want her all to yourself, huh?"

"Yep. I can owe you a favor for it -"

Draco waved it off. "Nah, this one's free."

Harry stared down at the can in his hand, the coldness settling into his blood. Charming, happy, generous with his favors to his friends, Draco wasn't a psychopath. That was the sad and awful part, knowing human psychology well enough to know that Draco wasn't a monster. There had been ten thousand societies over the history of the world where this conversation could have happened. No, the world would have been a very different place indeed, if it took an evil mutant to say what Draco had said. It was very simple, very human, it was the default if nothing else intervened. To Draco, his enemies weren't people.

“Banality of evil” is a lot less convincing when the subject is someone who’s been raised by an “evil with a capital-E” father and has received special training in manipulation and social influence.

quote:

And in the slowed time of this slowed country, here and now as in the darkness-before-dawn prior to the Age of Reason, the son of a sufficiently powerful noble would simply take for granted that he was above the law, at least when it came to some peasant girl. There were places in Muggle-land where it was still the same way, countries where that sort of nobility still existed and still thought like that, or even grimmer lands where it wasn't just the nobility. It was like that in every place and time that didn't descend directly from the Enlightenment. A line of descent, it seemed, which didn't quite include magical Britain, for all that there had been cross-cultural contamination of things like ring-pull drinks cans.

Dog-whistle racism / Orientalism. Just lovely.

I’d guess that this was the part that was edited. Could someone confirm if I’m correct and if so, what was the original passage?

quote:

And if Draco doesn't change his mind about wanting revenge, and I don't throw away my own chance at happiness in life to marry some poor crazy girl, then all I've just bought is time, and not too much of it... For one girl. Not for others.

I wonder how difficult it would be to just make a list of all the top blood purists and kill them.

They'd tried exactly that during the French Revolution, more or less - make a list of all the enemies of Progress and remove everything above the neck - and it hadn't worked out well from what Harry recalled. Maybe he needed to dust off some of those history books his father had bought him, and see if what had gone wrong with the French Revolution was something easy to fix.

Harry gazed up at the sky, and at the pale shape of the Moon, visible this morning through the cloudless air.

So the world is broken and flawed and insane, and cruel and bloody and dark. This is news? You always knew that, anyway...

Huh, that came out of nowhere. Nothing in the first six chapters gave any hints that Harry was at all concerned about justice and equality.

In Chapter Four, at Gringotts Bank, he was all “On the other hand, one competent hedge fundie could probably own the whole wizarding world within a week. Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free”.

In Chapter Six, “Harry cracked his knuckles in determination, but they only made a quiet sort of clicking sound, rather than echoing ominously off the walls of Diagon Alley. Possibility two: He'd be taking over the world. Eventually. Perhaps not right away.”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This:

quote:

"As soon as I'm old enough I'm going to rape her."

was originally this:

quote:

"As soon as I'm old enough to get an erection I'm going to rape that bitch."

This:

quote:

There were places in Muggle-land where it was still the same way, countries where that sort of nobility still existed and still thought like that, or even grimmer lands where it wasn't just the nobility. It was like that in every place and time that didn't descend directly from the Enlightenment.

was originally this:

quote:

Even in Muggle-land it was probably still happening, somewhere in Saudi Arabia or the darkness of the Congo. It happened in every place and time that didn’t descend directly from the Enlightenment.

This was the header he initially posted justifying the edit:

quote:

I've also tried a rewrite on Ch. 7 which I don't feel is a literary improvement, but which does make it clearer that Harry is talking about the Enlightenment having mostly solved the problem of nobility rather than the problem of surprise sex, and which eliminates the explicit reference to Saudi Arabia and the Congo as specific non-Enlightenment countries. Most readers, it's pretty clear, didn't take that as racist, but it now also seems clear that if someone is told to *expect* racism and pointed at the chapter, that's what they'll see. Aren't preconceptions lovely things?

This is a recent one of several news articles about the ruling elite of a country directly descended from the Enlightenment running an extensive paedophilic rape and murder ring with the co-operation of the police and security services. It is also my country.

All of the above is why Chapter Seven is notorious, and why that smug pseudointellectual gently caress Yudkowsky fills me with genuine rage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Haha! I knew I remembered that poo poo.

Also, these stupid psuedointellectual shits have no idea how long 'nobility' persisted (and persists) after their precious Enlightenment. They never do.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 19, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Night10194 posted:

Also, these stupid psuedointellectual shits have no idea how long 'nobility' persisted (and persists) after their precious Enlightenment. They never do.
The nobility/aristocracy still persists, they just wear tailored suits and designer watches now.

You could argue that the Dark Enlightenment goobers realize that aristocracy is alive and well, and their pseudo-monarchist rhetoric is a desperate attempt to curry favor with the upper crust. Better to be at the devil's side than in his path, or something, I guess?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Based on his slobbering of tech CEOs, this is Yud's plan.

Also, "surprise sex." Really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I like how he offers a backhanded insult at the people who called him out for being a horrible poo poo. "Oh yeah, this chapter wasn't racist, but about racism! But I've fixed it now for the grognards who obviously didn't get the social commentary, losers."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like how he offers a backhanded insult at the people who called him out for being a horrible poo poo. "Oh yeah, this chapter wasn't racist, but about racism! But I've fixed it now for the grognards who obviously didn't get the social commentary, losers."
And yet, we're the centers of "sneer culture."

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
You guys have raised a lot of good points as to the quality of the work that I hadn't seen before. Some of it I disagree with, but I'm not interested in debating that. Also to be clear, I am totally on board with the "lets mock this because doing so is entertaining". I'm just also interested in why this story upsets so many of you on pretty emotional level. Like the same way I got really, really mad at the Lannisters after the red wedding. Or at how Joffery treated Sansa. ETC... But Harry doesn't invoke this kind of contempt in me, nor does he in many others. Similarly Clearly a lot of people, really, really like it, and don't see the flaws you guys do, or are capable of tolerating them. Why is this work so polarizing? Why do I not feel that Harry is an "Annoying little poo poo"?

Does it simply come down to:

anilEhilated posted:

It's because the writing deserves no charity. With Rowling (and any, y'know, good books), I'm willing to suspend my disbelief because I'm enjoying it and I want to read more so I am willing to accept some silliness. There, however, are no redeeming factors for this.

and

Arcturas posted:

Other stories have terrible main characters (e.g., the characters in series like A Song of Ice and Fire are often horrible). But that's not everything to the character. There's usually something else redeeming about them - their humanity, their struggle with failures, their focus on a relatable goal, their sheer magnificent badassery (e.g. Tyrion Lannister), stuff like that. For instance, we like Frank Underwood in House of Cards even though he's a sociopath because he has moments of compassion, humanity, and an overall goal that we can get behind. His relationship with his wife is fascinating, he seems truly invested in his America Works program, and not just for the electoral benefits, he has limited loyalty, etc. Compare that to Yud's Harry, who has very limited moments of humanity (his discussion with his parents, which can be charming) and a whole lot of obnoxious better-than-thou snark. Unlike Frank, he's not self-aware that he sounds like a douche and he doesn't do it for effect.

Do those of us who like hpmor, we can find these redeeming factors in it that other people don't? Relatable goals, badassery, humanity, struggle with failures. I see all of that in hpmor. I think that last line though touches on something though. I could be wrong, but feel like a lot of people don't like Harry because he doesn't respect his "place" and people find that upsetting. See his treatment of Mcgonagall, Dumbeldore etc... The "better-than-thou". Like, clearly Harry is wrong to think that Dumbledore is some outdated fool, or is wrong the way he blackmails Mcgonagall, Or the way he treats her when shopping for the suitcase. He is talking down to her. But it doesn't bother me. But other people find this very upsetting?

Added Space posted:

If you look over the story as a whole you realize there were a lot of good ideas that were abandoned before being completely developed.

Yeah. This is my main issue with the story. It would have been stronger as a just "Harry explores magic scientifically" or "Harry clashes with the politics and culture of wizards" or "Ender's game in Hogwarts" or "Harry the scifi-humanist" it covers all four then at the end jumps to something completely different. I think the work struggles as a whole, and is way too long, but I enjoyed it and read it for the individual parts in it which were good. I'm running into the same thing with Naturald20.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 19, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

It should come as no surprise that Yud is a huge :tvtropes: fan.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nessus posted:

And yet, we're the centers of "sneer culture."

The best way I think I could put it is, "HP&tMoR doesn't deserve all this scorn, but its author does. Therefore, the response."

Sounds rational enough to me!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Legacyspy posted:

Do those of us who like hpmor, we can find these redeeming factors in it that other people don't? Relatable goals, badassery, humanity, struggle with failures. I see all of that in hpmor. I think that last line though touches on something though. I could be wrong, but feel like a lot of people don't like Harry because he doesn't respect his "place" and people find that upsetting. See his treatment of Mcgonagall, Dumbeldore etc... The "better-than-thou". Like, clearly Harry is wrong to think that Dumbledore is some outdated fool, or is wrong the way he blackmails Mcgonagall, Or the way he treats her when shopping for the suitcase. He is talking down to her. But it doesn't bother me. But other people find this very upsetting?
It isn't that he 'doesn't respect his place,' it's that he's being presented as this rationalist supermind but he's actually acting like Artemis Fowl or some kind of Randian ubermensch. It makes him seem like an intelligent but barely hinged maniac rather than some kind of uber-rationalist super-optimizer. You could use this as a lesson on how mere scientific rational thinking does not in any way guarantee you won't be a shithead.

It makes Harry Potter both a completely different character (which could be fine) and shittily composed (which is not). You could probably keep similar beats here without extensive internal monologues or quirky asides aping Pratchett.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Nessus posted:

Girls love surprises. They're romantic and show that you have the capacity for spontaneity.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

It isn't that he 'doesn't respect his place,' it's that he's being presented as this rationalist supermind but he's actually acting like Artemis Fowl or some kind of Randian ubermensch. It makes him seem like an intelligent but barely hinged maniac rather than some kind of uber-rationalist super-optimizer. You could use this as a lesson on how mere scientific rational thinking does not in any way guarantee you won't be a shithead.

It makes Harry Potter both a completely different character (which could be fine) and shittily composed (which is not). You could probably keep similar beats here without extensive internal monologues or quirky asides aping Pratchett.

Are you saying that Harry is supposed to be a "uber-rationalist super-optimizer", but fails to do so? I never got that conclusion that at all. I thought he was supposed to be another character in the vein of Artemis Fowl, Ender, Bean, or Miles Vorkosigan.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

Ayup. He's not acting rationally. He's acting like a smug douchecanoe. He artificially limits his "rational" inquiries to random bullshit that gets him what he's already decided he wants, and decided he deserves because he's "smart" and "rational."

Legacyspy posted:

Are you saying that Harry is supposed to be a "uber-rationalist super-optimizer", but fails to do so? I never got that conclusion that at all. I thought he was supposed to be another character in the vein of Artemis Fowl, Ender, Bean, or Miles Vorkosigan.

But all four of those characters are 1) written likeably, and 2) act like humans. Yud's Harry is just a douche, constantly, without any conceivable purpose.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Arcturas posted:

But all four of those characters are 1) written likeably, and 2) act like humans. Yud's Harry is just a douche, constantly, without any conceivable purpose.

But what? How is that relevant. Nessus seems to be saying that Harry is was supposed to be a uber-rationalist, and isn't, and is instead is like Artemis Fowl, so this is a failing of the story. I want to understand whether or not that is actually Nessus is saying, because that seems ridiculous. If harry fails at being an uber-rationalist, then obviously he wasn't intended to be an uber-rationalist. Your comment has no bearing on that.

Also why is his behavior so upsetting that this term keeps getting used? I want to understand why Harry is so upsetting to people. Repeatability saying he is smug or a douche... just tells me that his behavior is upsetting to you. It doesn't explain why that is the case.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Legacyspy posted:

If harry fails at being an uber-rationalist, then obviously he wasn't intended to be an uber-rationalist. Your comment has no bearing on that.

Ah yes, the old "I meant to do that" defense, Harry fails at being High King of Rational Mountain because a) a lot of his science is lovely, half right, or surface level but is made into the gospel truth in the story b) because he isn't actually motivated by knowledge or exploration, he is motivated by power. You say he might have been intended to be like Artemis Fowl, but that is trivially untrue; Artemis Fowl is never held up as an example, and he certainly isn't meant to convince you that you should follow the Way of Fowl. Harry however is supposed to teach the audience how to be "rationalists" and really is never defeated or outdone in his area of "expertise" in the context of the story. Much of this is achieved by undermining the other characters or by choosing to have the world work the way that harry guesses it will work.

I mean Harriezer also fails to be like Artemis Fowl, since Artemis grows as a person and becomes a better human being over the course of the books. Harry stays stagnant. He is supposed to learn some lessons over the course of the book I guess, but a number of them boil down to, "I'm better than everyone around me." Yud's writing is being compared to the level of character development in a children's book and is coming up poorly, it's clear he has failed to craft a character driven narrative. Harry isn't upsetting, but the work as a whole is disgusting, joyless, and written by an rear end in a top hat who believes himself the Machine Messiah. It's failings are so numerous and obvious, and it's author so odious, that the fact that there is a cult that believes this poo poo is gold is stomach turning. Also, it could never have been good, Yud doesn't know science well enough (or really have the mindset of a scientist) to write a convincing investigation of magic through science. His personal politics would turn any attempt to make magical Britain more to his liking into a horror show, and he can't write a relatable character to save his life. All that is probably because when Yud goes to write what he knows all he can do is describe the wall of his large intestine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Dianetics of fanfic!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Legacyspy posted:

But what? How is that relevant. Nessus seems to be saying that Harry is was supposed to be a uber-rationalist, and isn't, and is instead is like Artemis Fowl, so this is a failing of the story. I want to understand whether or not that is actually Nessus is saying, because that seems ridiculous. If harry fails at being an uber-rationalist, then obviously he wasn't intended to be an uber-rationalist. Your comment has no bearing on that.

Ah, but you see he was! We're supposed to think the science is real. We're supposed to think he is uber-rationalistic. The author pretty much flat our admitted this point. If he fails to deliver, then it's a bad story. And it fails to deliver.

Legacyspy posted:

Also why is his behavior so upsetting that this term keeps getting used? I want to understand why Harry is so upsetting to people. Repeatability saying he is smug or a douche... just tells me that his behavior is upsetting to you. It doesn't explain why that is the case.

His behavior is upsetting because he is portrayed as not intelligent, but insufferable and borderline psychotic. Here is a child whose first idea on how to get more info from a relatively kind adult is to blackmail her. He arrives at this conclusion through his own internal logic and decides he's totally okay with ruining another's life to get information that is not immediately necessary. And the book is on his side. I have read ahead, this incident is pretty much forgotten and forgiven. He cares little for anyone other than himself, except for the few moments Yudkowsky remembers to humanize him.
Case in point, here Harry wants to bring justice to this world, but a few chapters ago he was planning to smash their economy. It's madness.

Even if he wasn't a sociopath, he is still insufferable. He name drops concepts and goes on :spergin: infodumps at the drop of a hat while condescendingly talking down to adults who are remarkably patient with his poo poo. He knows little about this world except when he's suddenly aware of everything and casually using terms (Death Eaters, etc...) as though he knew them for years. And despite priding himself as a rational person, he throws tantrums at the drop of a hat. Even if we weren't meant to like him, he would still be a loving annoying character.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

It isn't that he 'doesn't respect his place,' it's that he's being presented as this rationalist supermind but he's actually acting like Artemis Fowl or some kind of Randian ubermensch.
Which in many ways could be fine, "Artemis Fowl in the potterverse" would be perfectly readable, and is why I don't really mind these chapters where it seemed like the fic was going to be "scientist artemis fowl in the potterverse" so much as I do when it eventually turns into the voldemort and voldemort junior sociopath theater.

SSNeoman posted:

Case in point, here Harry wants to bring justice to this world, but a few chapters ago he was planning to smash their economy. It's madness.
In fairness, he was thinking about how he'd crash their economy "if he needed the money" and his preferred method of bringing justice to this world is to take it over first.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 7 – Reciprocation
Part Ten

quote:

"You're looking all serious," Draco said. "Let me guess, your Muggle parents told you that this sort of thing was bad."

Harry nodded, not quite trusting his voice.

"Well, like Father says, there may be four houses, but in the end everyone belongs to either Slytherin or Hufflepuff. And frankly, you're not on the Hufflepuff end. If you decide to side with the Malfoys under the table... our power and your reputation... you could get away with things even I can't do. Want to try it for a while? See what it's like?"

Poor Hufflepuff House. No-one ever gives them any respect.

quote:

Aren't we a clever little serpent. Eleven years old and already coaxing your prey from hiding...

Harry thought, considered, chose his weapon. "Draco, you want to explain the whole blood purity thing to me? I'm sort of new."

A wide smile crossed Draco's face. "You really should meet Father and ask him, you know, he's our leader."

"Give me the thirty-second version."

"Okay," Draco said. He drew in a deep breath, and his voice grew slightly lower, and took on a cadence. "Our powers have grown weaker, generation by generation, as the mudblood taint increases. Where Salazar and Godric and Rowena and Helga once raised Hogwarts by their power, creating the Locket and the Sword and the Diadem and the Cup, no wizard of these faded days has risen to rival them. We are fading, all fading into Muggles as we interbreed with their spawn and allow our Squibs to live. If the taint is not checked, soon our wands will break and all our arts cease, the line of Merlin will end and the blood of Atlantis fail. Our children will be left scratching at the dirt to survive like the mere Muggles, and darkness will cover all the world for ever." Draco took another swig from his drinks can, looking satisfied; that seemed to be the whole argument as far as he was concerned.

"Persuasive," Harry said, meaning it descriptively rather than normatively. It was a standard pattern: The Fall from Grace, the need to guard what purity remained against contamination, the past sloping upwards and the future sloping only down. And that pattern also had its counter... "I have to correct you on one point of fact, though. Your information about the Muggles is a bit out of date. We aren't exactly scratching at the dirt anymore."

Draco's head snapped around. "What? What do you mean, we? "

"We. The scientists. The line of Francis Bacon and the blood of the Enlightenment.

Harry really needs to “dust off some of those history books his father had bought him”. “Muggles” had progressed past “scratching at the dirt” well before the “Enlightenment” or the development of modern science. Has this purportedly well-read boy never heard of al-Khwarizmi’s development of algebra; Avicenna’s contributions to astronomy; or Shen Kuo’s discovery of the true north?

quote:

Muggles didn't just sit around crying about not having wands, we have our own powers now, with or without magic. If all your powers fail then we will all have lost something very precious, because your magic is the only hint we have as to how the universe must really work - but you won't be left scratching at the ground. Your houses will still be cool in summer and warm in winter, there will still be doctors and medicine. Science can keep you alive if magic fails. It'd be a tragedy, but not literally the end of all the light in the world. Just saying."

The ancient Egyptians were using wind catchers in their homes; Sergius Orata invented the hypocaust during the time of the Roman Republic; and Ding Huan came up with a rotary fan during the Han Dynasty. Innovation and technical development didn’t begin with the Enlightenment.

quote:

Draco had backed up several feet and his face was full of mixed fear and disbelief. "What in the name of Merlin are you talking about, Potter? "

"Hey, I listened to your story, won't you listen to mine?" Clumsy, Harry chided himself, but Draco actually did stop backing off and seem to listen.

"Anyway," Harry said, "I'm saying that you don't seem to have been paying much attention to what goes on in the Muggle world." Probably because the whole wizarding world seemed to regard the rest of Earth as a slum, deserving around as much news coverage as the Financial Times awarded to the routine agonies of Burundi. "All right. Quick check. Have wizards ever been to the Moon? You know, that thing?" Harry pointed up to that huge and distant globe.

Why is Harry so confident that wizards have never been to the Moon? I mean, we know that the world bends over for his every whim, but from his perspective, he’s seen magic on many occasions performing feats that break the most fundamental principles of physics, so there's every possibility that magic can send or already has sent a wizard to the moon.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 19, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's hilarious how rarely you see these 'The Enlightenment is the most important thing ever' types ever acknowledge we're all using arabic numerals and that Algebra comes from the middle east. Harry is too unimaginative to remember that the people of past ages were just as smart as the people of current ones, they just didn't have the same level of information yet (which we only have because past generations sought it out).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Calling it "the blood of the Enlightenment" is sort of missing the point in five words or less, isn't it? I know he's trying to play off of Draco's "blood of Merlin" thing, but you've got to be precise about this sort of thing when anti-nepotism is part of the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Legacyspy posted:

It seems like your goal is to get people to say "I am upset by the behavior of the character in the lovely fanfiction being roasted."

Personally, I think it's funny. I am only annoyed when this poo poo gets cited, yes, like it's Dianetics or something.