Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There is exactly only one (1) good beer on that list. Holy poo poo, America.

Oh come on, there's like six. And it's missing Lone Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

A friend from Montana once described to me how they would not drink or eat anything that had even the smallest, smallest, SMALLEST hint that some part of it would be foreign and/or contain something other than the following ingredients: wheat, corn, or beef. That's the real America, and so distant from the one I grew up in that they should not even be the same country.

No vegetables? Good luck with the scurvy, I guess?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There is exactly only one (1) good beer on that list. Holy poo poo, America.
...which one is it?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Prester John posted:

Speaking as a former truck driver (and driving instructor) I feel that automating 18-wheelers is a very loving long way off. Aiming a truck between the two white lines on a fair day under a decent load is easy, anyone can be trained to do that in a couple hours. That isn;t what truck drivers get paid to do. Truck drivers get paid to do what is called "controlling space" which is a collection of abstract skills involving reading the psychology of the shithead drivers around you. If you have ever been slowly passing a truck on the left when he starts to drift towards your lane and you got scared and accelerated away you just got "the push", a common tactic every driver does 15 times an hour. The purpose is to keep that left lane open so the driver can change lanes and avoid an accident if possible, but whether you can do it successfully or not depends on a host of factors as well as being able to see if the driver of the 4-wheeler (trucker speak for anything not a semi) is even paying attention enough. There are dozens of cute little tactics like these that are massively situation depending and I just don't see an AI being able to handle them.

And that is before we get into crisis management. I would like to see the AI that can react to a sudden drive axle blow out while going downhill around a left curve with a load of paper rolls on the back and traffic slowing in front of it(a situation that actually happened to me). Without a detailed knowledge of exactly how that specific truck handles in combination with exactly how the load is sitting in the trailer an accident is going to occur. I'm not saying it won't be possible for an AI to someday handle that, I am just saying that right now Truck Drivers are paid for their instincts in poo poo situations (that occur multiple times every hour in any sort of traffic because humans are loving retarded). And that isn;t getting into the bizarre one offs that can occur, like a rock slide/sandstorm/sudden blizzard/idiot 4-whjeeler three lanes to your left spins out on some black ice and panics.

Also, as far as having a "drop in" remote driver, no, not gonna happen. Drivers are expected to be able to spot and react to a situation within 3/4 of a second. Even if you could have a driver drop in right perfectly instantly, they wouldn't have enough information to perform the instinctual reactions that a regular truck driver will have. (Load weight, distribution, height, wind speed and direction, tire conditions, brake conditions, road conditions, is the shithead in front of you yakking on his cell phone, etc etc etc.)

And then there is the problem that outside of major cities, the Interstate system is pretty undeveloped. Back in 2006 there were long stretches of Interstate in the country with no guardrails and 500+ foot drop offs. I don't see those thousands of miles of roads being upgraded to handle automated vehicles anytime soon.

I see this dissonance in every single "My pet job cant be automated" argument and its an interesting logical fallacy. If it is important that you have a human behind the wheel because enough other people are stupid enough to warrant it then you have enough stupid people driving trucks to negate any argument that the profession is too skillful to be automated. Piloting an airliner is infinitely more complex than any semi ever will be and a simple g1000, old rear end tech at this point, is more efficient than a fair majority of pilots on approach. I mean, humans don't win on response time, not now and not ever from now, cars are already better at accident avoidance than we are, so what in this argument actually holds water? That semi truck drivers somehow have some miraculous traffic management skills? And those skills are somehow better than a several mile row long convoy of automated semis maintaining exact distances bumper to bumper and reporting logistic and spacial information about surrounding drivers up and down the line instantaneously while also being able to keep track of 365 degrees of traffic at all times at the individual truck level? None of those trucks can be goaded into driving aggressively, or have too many hours on the road and a short fuse, or a flu, and if someone does run into them they have the moment by moment telemetry data showing exactly how aggressive and dumb the other driver was. What benefit is there to human interaction here?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

...which one is it?

Modelo

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

:lol:

I'm more annoyed that there are two, TWO, iterations of Bud Light (fruit poo poo) on that list. Bud Light Lime is easily the worst beer I've ever drunk.

Also, since the House committee is locked up because of military spending I've got a question. Is there any group or caucus or sub caucus that is actually pushing for cutting the DoD budget? A true cut, not just a smaller increase than requested.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

From a can it is a perfectly acceptable Adjunct Lager.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Spaceman Future! posted:

I see this dissonance in every single "My pet job cant be automated" argument and its an interesting logical fallacy. If it is important that you have a human behind the wheel because enough other people are stupid enough to warrant it then you have enough stupid people driving trucks to negate any argument that the profession is too skillful to be automated. Piloting an airliner is infinitely more complex than any semi ever will be and a simple g1000, old rear end tech at this point, is more efficient than a fair majority of pilots on approach. I mean, humans don't win on response time, not now and not ever from now, cars are already better at accident avoidance than we are, so what in this argument actually holds water? That semi truck drivers somehow have some miraculous traffic management skills? And those skills are somehow better than a several mile row long convoy of automated semis maintaining exact distances bumper to bumper and reporting logistic and spacial information about surrounding drivers up and down the line instantaneously while also being able to keep track of 365 degrees of traffic at all times at the individual truck level? None of those trucks can be goaded into driving aggressively, or have too many hours on the road and a short fuse, or a flu, and if someone does run into them they have the moment by moment telemetry data showing exactly how aggressive and dumb the other driver was. What benefit is there to human interaction here?

Here is the problem I think. You are thinking about those long empty distances between cities. Those are the easy parts to drive that You could probably manage with about 6 hours training. Inside city traffic patterns though there will be nothing anywhere near so ordered traffic until all cars are fully automated. People in cars are GODDAMN LUNATICS and you won't find a single driver who will disagree with an ounce of that sentiment. There is a great deal more analytic thinking and anticipating than you can appreciate until you've been behind the wheels of one of those damned things going 30+ miles an hour, let alone 65 in Chicago traffic. I do not think you appreciate just how much there is to be aware of and how many decisions a driver is making in traffic. I am not saying its not impossible for Ai to do it eventually, I'm saying that for now it is likely one of those really loving complex things the human brain does well and we don't quite understand why. I'm certain that someday AI will replace it all, I'm just saying that with regards to Trucks, it won't happen until most or virtually all cars are autopilot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

Curious you mention airplanes because there's a human micromanaging the autopilot the entire way. And that fancy cat III localizer on the ground isn't cheap and isn't at all that many airports in the grand scheme of things; most aerodromes have no precision approaches at all. Yes most of them are remote; guess where trucks deliver stuff.

Oh and there's no current way for an airplane to automatically taxi or take off. Think about taxiing and then think about what trucks spend most of their time doing.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Heineken isn't horrible but it def. shouldn't be top 20 but then against none of those should be.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Heineken isn't horrible but it def. shouldn't be top 20 but then against none of those should be.

Pretty sure their metric is based off of such things like "does this get me drunk?" and Bud's massive distribution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah some random special snowflake beer you like and isn't available in every single place to buy beer across the country ain't never gonna hit top 20. Especially if it's over $30 as well, apparently

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'd honestly have thought Sam Adams would make the top twenty, given how many ads I've seen for it in Texas of all places.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah some random special snowflake beer you like and isn't available in every single place to buy beer across the country ain't never gonna hit top 20. Especially if it's over $30 as well, apparently
When I was growing up (in Seattle) I didn't realize Redhook wasn't a normal baseline beer that everyone drank. I still don't think I've drank a Bud or Coors more than a few times, and I am not even close to considering myself a beer snob.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It's happening! The thread spiral is real! :ohdear:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Oh crap that's right beerchat should be in the chat thread. I blame whoever posted beerstats in the USPol thread.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah it's more a statement on securing shelf space and supply lines than anything related to quality.

There's several passable beers on that list. I like craft beers as much as anyone but I buy cases of simply decent beer plenty often.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Oh crap that's right beerchat should be in the chat thread. I blame whoever posted beerstats in the USPol thread.

To be fair it was a preview of the April OP image, which will be humorous when it is posted. But you know how easily this thread derails.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

zxqv8 posted:

To be fair it was a preview of the April OP image, which will be humorous when it is posted. But you know how easily this thread derails.

SQUIRREL!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That squirrel is some loving poser-rear end poo poo man, real squirrels are black.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Prester John posted:

Here is the problem I think. You are thinking about those long empty distances between cities. Those are the easy parts to drive that You could probably manage with about 6 hours training. Inside city traffic patterns though there will be nothing anywhere near so ordered traffic until all cars are fully automated. People in cars are GODDAMN LUNATICS and you won't find a single driver who will disagree with an ounce of that sentiment. There is a great deal more analytic thinking and anticipating than you can appreciate until you've been behind the wheels of one of those damned things going 30+ miles an hour, let alone 65 in Chicago traffic. I do not think you appreciate just how much there is to be aware of and how many decisions a driver is making in traffic. I am not saying its not impossible for Ai to do it eventually, I'm saying that for now it is likely one of those really loving complex things the human brain does well and we don't quite understand why. I'm certain that someday AI will replace it all, I'm just saying that with regards to Trucks, it won't happen until most or virtually all cars are autopilot.

So then trucking will be reduced to moving the truck from an out of town depot to where it needs to go. Which will be a bit less of a problem for lost jobs, but not by much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

KiteAuraan posted:

From a can it is a perfectly acceptable Adjunct Lager.

That describes pretty much everything on that list. Except that they are all loving awful adjunct lagers. In terms of "one good beer" Modelo sure ain't it. At that point, just drink PBR/Yuengling/Bud. Or, better still, Bud Light. Why have the extra calories?

Echoing the sadness of others that SA isn't even in the top 20. That a regional beer like Yuengling is makes it even loving worse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stephen A. Smith, explaining why all black people should vote GOP for one election posted:

From what I’ve read, Barry Goldwater is going against Lyndon B. Johnson. He’s your Republican candidate; he is completely against the civil rights movement. Lyndon B. Johnson was in favor of it — civil rights legislation. What happens is, he wins office, Barry Goldwater loses office, but there was a Senate, a Republican Senate, that pushed the votes to the president’s desk. It was the Democrats who were against civil rights legislation — the southern Dixiecrats. So because President Lyndon B. Johnson was a Democrat, black America assumed the Democrats were for it.

Black folks in America are telling one party, “We don’t give a drat about you.” They’re telling the other party, “You’ve got our vote.” Therefore, you have labeled yourself “disenfranchised” because one party knows they’ve got you under their thumb. The other party knows they’ll never get you and nobody comes to address your interest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The point he's missing is that a thumb is way more comfortable than shackles and a boot heel.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

The point he's missing is that a thumb is way more comfortable than shackles and a boot heel.

It's weird that he can differentiate between LBJ and the Dixiecrats but not Goldwater and the Rockefeller Republicans.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
It's nice to see that Stephen A. Smith is taking a break from being a blowhard idiot who says dumb stuff about sports to be a blowhard idiot who says dumb stuff about politics.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Prester John posted:

Driverless vehicles aren't being designed for highway only usage though, its not as if city traffic is a conundrum that engineers have been unable to tackle for years, there are Google cars driving themselves around mountain view as we speak and interaction with city traffic is the only thing that the industry is working on, if you see a driverless truck its because the city traffic issue has *already* been solved, and we are nearly there. This is not a two decade technology, this is a very close transition.

Lets approach this from a different angle, what scenario do you think that an automated truck with a suite of sensors would be unable to handle that your average semi truck driver would be able to handle with a significantly higher success rate, or at least lower chance of damage? Im asking as a general concern, I dont expect you to be pinpoint specific as Im not going to pretend that some technology that isnt on the shelf yet has truly quantified and proven technical advantages or achievements, Im trying to get a handle on what traffic scenarios you think are better handled by a human brain than a computer brain as you imagine it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Curious you mention airplanes because there's a human micromanaging the autopilot the entire way. And that fancy cat III localizer on the ground isn't cheap and isn't at all that many airports in the grand scheme of things; most aerodromes have no precision approaches at all. Yes most of them are remote; guess where trucks deliver stuff.

Oh and there's no current way for an airplane to automatically taxi or take off. Think about taxiing and then think about what trucks spend most of their time doing.

There is nothing significant that separates taxiing from current automated technology being developed in cars, you don't see it in aircraft because there's no reason to spend money on an expensive automated ground taxi system when you have a pilot onboard easily capable of that activity and already on the clock. Limitations in airline automation are, as you also acknowledge in your post, financial hurdles and not technical ones and the bar for a truck, a device infinitely simpler and safer even when it malfunctions, is much lower than an aircraft. Crashing a 747 can result in hundreds of millions in damage, crashing a semi doesn't have the same financial or body impact, if we already can do this with aircraft and choose not to because of financial investment and elevated risk the much lower bar for trucks is not the impossible technology its being painted as.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 19, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It is a bad argument that you can't automate any trucks because some things trucks do is too difficult to automate. Lots of trucks are going to be automated. Delivery trucks that travel to point of sale locations instead of warehouses will still require a human. Long haul trucks going hundreds of miles from one enormous warehouse complex to another probably will not have drivers 20 years from now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Spaceman Future! posted:

And those skills are somehow better than a several mile row long convoy of automated semis maintaining exact distances bumper to bumper and reporting logistic and spacial information about surrounding drivers up and down the line instantaneously while also being able to keep track of 365 degrees of traffic at all times at the individual truck level?

I know one even better. We can put all of those automated semis maintaining exact distances from each other on a specialty road and call them trains!

Also that's just one terrible driver cutting them off and stopping short away from the world's worst road accident.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aliquid posted:

It's weird that he can differentiate between LBJ and the Dixiecrats but not Goldwater and the Rockefeller Republicans.

it was cool when republicans started playing the "No, you see it was WE who supported civil rights!" line when they still had literal unrepentent ex-dixiecrats in their congressional caucuses

black folks ain't blind, 90s Republicans, they can see strom by-god thurmond sitting right next to you

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 19, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

A college friend of mine worked on an autopilot system that could keep a plane in the air automatically even if ~25% of the wing surface is explosively removed in-flight, so autopilot is basically a solved problem as far as I know. I'm fairly confident you could also keep a truck on the road during a tire failure or whatever with similar software. You also might not even need crazy tricks to try to scare four-wheelers into doing anything since a machine can respond orders of magnitude faster than people to an emergency - including just driving the loving thing off the road and into a ditch or ravine or whatever because who gives a poo poo: it's just a robot carrying fungible junk between the excerpts of cities (at least at first).

Also all of the beer on the list Fried Chicken posted are at best boring and most are just bad.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So what happens when the auto-matic truck trains run into road construction, floods, or blizzards?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

So what happens when the auto-matic truck trains run into road construction, floods, or blizzards?
I have no doubt that all of that can be taken into account via software. After all, it doesn't need to be perfect, just better than a human driver, and human drivers suck at all of those things anyway. Honestly, it's entirely the legal aspect (and for each state and municipality individually, I assume) that I have no clue how it will turn out.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If automated trucks become a thing, I think banditry and highwaymen might make a comeback.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Grognan posted:

If automated trucks become a thing, I think banditry and highwaymen might make a comeback.
Since there's no one in the driver's seat, you can mount an automatic swivel-mounted shotgun there instead.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

It'd certainly give a new meaning to wardriving, that's for sure.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Prester John posted:

I am not saying its not impossible for Ai to do it eventually, I'm saying that for now it is likely one of those really loving complex things the human brain does well and we don't quite understand why. I'm certain that someday AI will replace it all, I'm just saying that with regards to Trucks, it won't happen until most or virtually all cars are autopilot.

20 Years. That's how long we have until car automation will dominate, along with automation of a few other major industries.

Keep in mind that we have fully automated vehicles right now and they work. We also have fully automated combine harvesters and massive earth moving trucks. Semis and other large hauling trucks won't be that far around the corner.

We will have to face the fallout of automation (systemic unemployment) within our lifetimes, unless major changes are made to either post-HS education or we start providing for the unemployed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

It is a bad argument that you can't automate any trucks because some things trucks do is too difficult to automate. Lots of trucks are going to be automated. Delivery trucks that travel to point of sale locations instead of warehouses will still require a human. Long haul trucks going hundreds of miles from one enormous warehouse complex to another probably will not have drivers 20 years from now.

No, they're still going to have a person in there just in case freak stuff occurs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Don Lemon and Stephen A Smith suck. I actually watched a bit of a piece with Lemon talking about the N word with a panel of 3 other people. It was as terrible as you can possibly imagine. Some gently caress was on there saying no one should use it because white people can't say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trucks won't have drivers, but I think they will be outfitted with a security guard so they aren't easily robbed.

• Locked thread