Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm actually just now trying out my second custom map, and after using terrain party quite a bit I've decided that the scale you really want to go for in most instances is something like 3:1 scale. terrain.party pulls really low resolution heightmaps most of the time, which honestly look awful. Both of my maps have ended up being photoshopped amalgamations of various different places in order to look a little natural. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're going for a 1:1 recreation of a real place.

As for the water, place the water sources near the edge of the map. In game your camera is limited so that you can't see the map edges. That lets the sources flow out awkwardly, but by the time they enter the actual gamespace the river should look fine. Raise and lower the sources to determine the height from which they produce water, and you can control the level of the ocean with the sea level thing. I'm not sure if there's anything more than that to it.

I'm not concerned so much with the "jaggedness" caused by the low resolution, I'm fine with throwing the soften tool around. The scale issue is more trying to get a city scale that "fits" with the gameplay and looks good. For example, would a similar number of highways in the roughly correct places provide reasonable traffic flow or be way over or under capacity.

With water, when I make a source, it tends to go somewhat down the river basin, but it fizzles out and doesn't make it all the way to the end. This happens even when I'm using a few of what I think are the largest water sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Can somehow explain how to properly drain an area? I'm starting a new city on the islands map and I dammed off the center sea. I'm trying to drain it now but the pumps don't seem like they are pumping anything.

I actually don't have a city yet, I planned to do all my city building in the drained area :downs: I built a ton of nuclear power plants to create a water demand, but it isn't working (or is working very slowly). Help?

I don't think nuke plants require that much water compared to just housing. The other problem might be the sea itself. The way water works in this game is that there are Spawnpoints that try and keep a fixed waterlevel. If the level drops below they spawn new water up to a fixed rate, if it rises above they despawn water. If the part of the sea you dammed off has one of those points in it you'll never be able to drain it properly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

I'm not concerned so much with the "jaggedness" caused by the low resolution, I'm fine with throwing the soften tool around. The scale issue is more trying to get a city scale that "fits" with the gameplay and looks good. For example, would a similar number of highways in the roughly correct places provide reasonable traffic flow or be way over or under capacity.

With water, when I make a source, it tends to go somewhat down the river basin, but it fizzles out and doesn't make it all the way to the end. This happens even when I'm using a few of what I think are the largest water sources.

Low resolution doesn't result in jagginess, the maps are the same overall resolution regardless of size. The problem is that the maps are low resolution as in low detail.

Also, try moving water sources further up or adjusting your height of where the rivers start and their flow. They can flow from one end of the map to the other.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You can increase the "Capacity" of the water sources to increase the rate at which they spawn new water.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well, gently caress.

My city has gotten to the point where I need more land so I've been reclaiming land from the sea. Just add some pumps in-between the dams (with the dams turned off of course)  and delete water pumps when all sucked up.

Other end of the map I have the water treatment plants making my other dam produce more energy.

My city isn't great looking it's still mostly experiment to see what works what doesn't and what weird things I can do.

The next bit of land I'll be reclaiming. Once done I will be spending a good amount of time tidying up the bridges and railway lines and such going over the railway lines and such. Also moving my wind farm. :)

I'm sure it has been posted here already but: http://www.gfycat.com/SelfreliantTemptingAnophelesmosquito this is pretty dope!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Prepare to witness something amazing. I give you...

THE GARBAGE TRUCK CONGA LINE!

It goes all the way up the hill. Yes, that's my primary industrial zone, and yet there's so many garbage trucks the industry trucks are a vast minority of the vehicles on the road.

What caused it? Well I'm not sure but I have my ideas.

I tried moving the highschool but turns out that wasn't the issue. It was the fact that my roundabout was just that overloaded. Serves me right for having it serve as pretty much the only way in and out of the neighborhood. Roundabouts are fun and good and efficient, but they're not that efficient. The whole actually building inside of it was also probably a mistake. This pretty much signaled the death knell of my city.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Roundabouts are actually terrible for very heavy traffic and in particular if the traffic volume on the arms differs greatly. You can see this here too. Almost all of the traffic wants to go from top to bottom right, but bottom right is backing up. As a result of one block you are now losing the entire roundabout.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
What do I do if my RCI demand for everything is at 0? New zones will develop, but it's slow and my population has ups and downs and doesn't increase by much. It's hovering around 120,000 right now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

MAke a roundabout and then bulldoze it later to replace with something fancy.

gently caress roundabouts, gently caress this europe road trash, intersections forever

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Control Volume posted:

gently caress roundabouts, gently caress this europe road trash, intersections forever

I believe you mean spiderwebs of onramps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Roundabouts are great for medium traffic but you definitely need something heftier for serious interfaces.

Control Volume posted:

:911:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Last lookup table for a while, I think. This one's called Verdant, works best in Boreal maps but looks pretty good on Temperate too. I was going for lush green trees/grass and bright sunlight without blowing out any highlights.

I'm gonna upload this and the winter lut to workshop now.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Arrath posted:

I believe you mean spiderwebs of onramps.

onramps hold no power over me, i bow only to the mighty yield sign

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Should've had the train tracks run through the middle of an intersection

e: I actually have a 5 way intersection with train tracks through all of it in my home town.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Domattee posted:

Roundabouts are actually terrible for very heavy traffic and in particular if the traffic volume on the arms differs greatly. You can see this here too. Almost all of the traffic wants to go from top to bottom right, but bottom right is backing up. As a result of one block you are now losing the entire roundabout.

That's why you make a magic round about!

A :spergin: video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUO6Ey70qI

Control Volume posted:

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Is that a roundabout of roundabouts.

gently caress the british

e: what happens when you roundabout the roundabout of roundabouts. WHICH WAY DOES THE CITY BLOCK SPIN

Domattee fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 19, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there any chance of this game getting (optional) disasters added down the road? Apparently the community isnt big on them, and I understand why you wouldnt want something triggering at random and loving your city, but I think it could be an interesting option. Have the majority of them a known threat at map creation (something like "Regular seismic activity" or "Likely avenue for tropical storms".

Could have some buildings that help detect the oncoming disaster too, like a seismic sensor tower, weather research/monitoring stations etc so you know a good few days (or less for an earthquake) that poo poo was about to go down.

Could tie into being able to build a number of barricades etc to hold back flood-waters and such depending on how much of the cities finances you've commited to the threat of natural disasters. It'd kind of create a cool reason to keep playing lategame, when you've pretty much snowballed into a totally self-sustaining city.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Control Volume posted:

The roundabouts in this game aren't even real roundabouts.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Is there any chance of this game getting (optional) disasters added down the road? Apparently the community isnt big on them, and I understand why you wouldnt want something triggering at random and loving your city, but I think it could be an interesting option.

No one really knows at this point, but the publisher has always been pretty big on DLC so it's always possible if there's enough demand. I think once they finish swimming in their new money pool then they may start looking at options.

I can kind of see why people might want them, but disasters are the first thing I turn off in builder games. I don't care if it messes up the game balance, it makes me twitchy to even think of a random line of destruction cutting across my perfectly cultivated neighborhoods.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

hitze posted:

I'm sure this interchange would work perfectly in Cities

Holy cow. :stonklol:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you make them using highways they work correctly, I think.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 19, 2015

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I kind of like the disasters that sort of happen organically- having to deal with an electricity shortage due to poor planning, or dealing with an economy shifting from manufacturing to white collar work.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Fluo posted:

That's why you make a magic round about!

:byodood:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would be okay with minor disasters. Events. Major city-reshaping disasters I want no part of.

It's just a few small roundabouts connected by a two-way ring road. If it was spaced a little further out you'd see it's actually pretty simple.

The Swindon one is over-compressed but therea are a few other ones in Britain that are larger and cleaner that are quite sensible to look at.

EDIT: like if you were to properly do the magic roundabout in Cities it'd look like this:

Cities makes you space stuff out more.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

hitze posted:

Was going to post the High Five in Dallas...there appears to be a clover leaf in that though, so I'm guessing that's worse. Yeah, looks way more tangled.

The High Five:

Supposedly it's really efficient, so I've been thinking about trying to build it in CSL, but it's 5 layers of crazy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, the map view doesn't really capture the wonderful Westgate Freeway/Citylink interchange where it was really awkward for a while to have people pop onto the Westgate for a kilometre before they hit and turned onto Citylink, so they ended up just going 'gently caress it, let's just run Citylink onraps and offramps a kilometre and a half to where they were getting on the Westgate'.

That said, I don't think my city has much really crazy in the way of interchanges. We have some great actual intersections, though. Like this is a few blocks from me, a surprisingly well-functioning intersection between a 'highway' (which means major road, it's fully stop-lighted, onramp/offramp roads are called freeways here) and just a couple of local roads, a very simple intersection in theory. Turning from Nepean Southbound onto Bay always confuses newbies, though.

Speaking of Melbourne, I want trams so I can see my cims have to suffer Hook Turns.

Also, this roundabout is too simple, let's add trams just to gently caress everyone up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well, gently caress.

Your cims:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

To the goon who did Nakatomi plaza*, I'm afraid your model has some LoD problems on one of the facings:

*tried to dig back through the thread, but couldn't find the post.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, I sat at the only roundabout in my city, the one I built for the original freeway exit, and unsurprisingly they don't use proper right of way at all, traffic in the round about is constantly yielding to vehicles entering the circle. That is just backwards. It was fun to just watch the cars and people go by, especially the familiar swarms of CiMs transferring between subway stations on opposite sides of the road.

This game can be so drat pretty. I should try disabling that film grain though. Oddly I only notice it one certain color correction sets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really miss getting a Mayor's house!

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

MikeJF posted:

I really miss getting a Mayor's house!

As much as that game got wrong. There are definitely some things I liked. Expanding services by adding things to existing buildings was cool. The mayors house and city hall were rad. It definitely wasn't all trash. Also, I cannot wait for someone to mod the 'Hold shift to snap to 90*' functionality, because GODDAMN only being able to snap when drawing from a pre-existing road is annoying!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I think I've optimized the in-game transportation system, at least for now.

Roads: Highways to roundabouts to arterial roads and finally side streets. Roundabouts seem to be the easiest way to hand freeway on/off ramps. Use stack interchanges for freeway/freeway intersections whenever possible.

Mass transit: Grade-separated trains seem to be the best option, since you can have train tracks cross over/under each other but not metros. Also, do not let passenger trains from other cities into your in-city train network. I have an inter-city station on the outside of my city right next to a in-city train network station. That seems to work pretty well.

However, after I finished my freeway loop, my industrial sector suddenly died. I have no idea why. Has this happened to anyone else?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've been messing around with interchanges that include ramps for local traffic. I reconfigured a three-way + local traffic intersection. since I finally bought the tile next to it.

It's probably overkill for my situation but for me it was an exercise in trying to reduce weaving. It's also a tad messy but when you have to take supports into account it limits your opportunities to really tighten things up nicely.

Being able to lay things out regular one-way roads with their grid snap and then upgrade them to ramps or highways is pretty handy.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

hitze posted:

Dante18907 posted:

How does this even work :psyduck:

It would work splendidly in Cities and is a very modern and high capacity design IRL:

As you can see in the pic I just made, the top two connecting parts are part of the Virginia HOT/Express/whatever Lanes and don't have much to do with the rest of the interchange.

The third part is I-395 north towards DC interchanging with the Capital Beltway via a semidirectional T.

The fourth part is I-95 south towards Richmond interchanging with the Capital Beltway via a directional T.

The bottom part is part of the huge-rear end offramp complex to the south.

You can do all this stuff in Cities Skylines but if you want it looking pretty the amount of land it takes is huge (again just like real life).

e: doesn't mean people shouldn't try though!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 19, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Cities: Skylines - The only certain things in this world are death and highway intersections

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Working on learning sketchup so I can add a mosque into the game as some sort of park maybe?

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Apparently if you rely on quicksaves for saving and start a new city, the new saves will completely overwrite the previous city :(

RIP first city:

I was about finished with it, at least.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Masa posted:

Apparently if you rely on quicksaves for saving and start a new city, the new saves will completely overwrite the previous city :(

RIP first city:

I was about finished with it, at least.

Well ya. It's quick saving.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So in my piss about experimental game I think I've reclaimed a good bit of land with still having the see ports open

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Does anyone have an issue with a mod removing car sprites from the road? I'm trying to figure out which one is doing it, or if it's a combination. Running:

Tree Brush
Auto Bulldoze
that Traffic viewer tool, which I have ticked off because I thought was causing it, to no avail
Achievements Enabled
Extended Road Upgrade
First person Camera
All 25 areas
Autosaver

It's weird. Pops are moving in and I'm making money, but no cars will actually move into my city at the start of the game. Which is a deceptively big problem.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can make some loving insane switchbacks in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So, is there some kind of trick to increasing crime rates? Just turned off every police station, have unemployment at 60% and yet my crime rate is stuck at 23%. Really dumb that they made all these negative milestones requirements to unlock the special buildings.