Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have played (and even bought) plenty of really, truly bad games but I barely even think of them, let alone post about em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jaipur is back in stock in some places, like Amazon and CSI.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Jaipur is back in stock in some places, like Amazon and CSI.

A fun game

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2zi5y5/asmadi_games_isnt_at_gama_but_were_doing_a_press/

Press conference thingy about the glory to rome sequel

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
^^^^ eeeeeeeeeee

I want to play Mage Knight but it's not something that you can bring to a games night and play so much as something you have to plan for in advance. Something at that level is not something I can get people to play on the regular. I'm having trouble selling Argent and that's a lot faster by comparison. I'm gonna give Keyflower and Troyes a go. I haven't played Stone Age yet but I keep seeing it played and aesthetically it looks really dull which might make it a bit hard for me to want to play, but I'm gonna get to it some day.

I won Trivial Pursuit tonight and it felt good. I'm smarter than all those dumbs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Troyes is on Board Game Arena if you want to try before you buy.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Brew Crafters is pretty similar to Agricola as far as its worker placement style goes (resource piles that remain and stack up if unchosen, few enough spaces where you'll likely screw over someone else by taking a certain spot, resource that you have to pay at the end of certain rounds or you'll lose points) that also ties in strongly with its theme and has an additional placement phase on a separate board that determines whether you build a building for your area, brew beer and/or collaborate, or research one of four areas to get you bonuses during the game. If anyone likes Agricola, I'd recommend checking it out since it's pretty much Agricola with more stuff (albeit the family version since there's no cards that I know of like Agricola's Occupations/Minor Improvements).

I love Brew Crafters. Since half my group has grown to hate Agricola it's served as the easy replacement that everyone can agree on. We're also playing a lot of Archipelago, which a friend bought for my birthday. After a few playthroughs it feels like the insane lovechild of Le Havre and Battlestar Galactica.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I think I would start with Archipelago and Keyflower as things to look at after Agricola, and skip right over stuff like Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, other rosenburgs, felds, etc. If you love Agricola already, you might end up with a bunch of dead weight on the shelf in a year. If you're new to the hobby, I think it's better to do a breadth-first traversal of different types of games rather than depth-first. But then I'm not the biggest fan of O.G. worker placement so take that with a grain of salt.

I'd also take a peek at Terra Mystica and see if that looks sexy to you and your gaming buddies

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^ I played Terra Mystica once and I'd try it again, but it was really points-salady for me and I didn't really know what I was doing other than "this shape goes here to get you x points" and whatnot. It didn't help that the guy who taught it is a very mechanical type of person and didn't inject much interest into it to begin with. I think I prefer games with a little bit of hidden information or goals or something so that I don't feel like I'm just trying to solve a semi-interactive logic puzzle. (I also didn't feel like I was interacting much at all in TM).

Countblanc posted:

Troyes is on Board Game Arena if you want to try before you buy.

I haven't tried this site before, is it pretty good? I wasn't planning on actually buying anything without trying it (done a bit too much of that lately and has landed me where I am). I have enough friends who have enormous collections, I just don't know what to ask them to bring really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's probably the best way to play board games online aside from a few game-specific apps. Really good implementation for most games, and they recently added asynchronous play if you're into that sort of thing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It's probably the best way to play board games online aside from a few game-specific apps. Really good implementation for most games, and they recently added asynchronous play if you're into that sort of thing.

:vince: I'm so into that sort of thing

I've also been screwing around with Puzzlestrike online, seems like a pretty sweet game. The bank chips don't seem as interesting as a lot of the dominion cards but the character chips add a pretty neat dynamic. Only play 4 games or so

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As much as I love cyber-punk dystopias, man why did I have to randomly find out that the first edition of Coup had such nice stylized Renaissance portraits instead? Now I want that edition even though it's just an art difference :(

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jeeves posted:

As much as I love cyber-punk dystopias, man why did I have to randomly find out that the first edition of Coup had such nice stylized Renaissance portraits instead? Now I want that edition even though it's just an art difference :(

Some of the international versions are incredible. BRB with an edit to show you

We kind of got screwed

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 19, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm partial to the Brazilian edition personally: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1991960/coup?size=large

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm partial to the Brazilian edition personally: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1991960/coup?size=large

A buddy of mine doctored up a print and play with that art, it's the greatest thing. I've got the American version and it's nowhere near as cool.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
BGA has a bunch of great games and apart from the occasional bug it works really well. The interface is a bit ugly but that's the case with most non-official board game implementations.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

:vince: I'm so into that sort of thing

I've also been screwing around with Puzzlestrike online, seems like a pretty sweet game. The bank chips don't seem as interesting as a lot of the dominion cards but the character chips add a pretty neat dynamic. Only play 4 games or so

Puzzle Strike is cool, I think the best thing about it is the elegant scoring/catchup mechanism that both is and isn't like deciding to green in Dominion. It's definitely less of a sandbox than Dominion though, each character tends to have things they need and a way they need to play.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mild slapfight with Sirlin and DXV in a flamebait thread on BGG entitled "Why are Sirlin's Games Ranked on Average Lower than Vlaada's Games?"

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338424/why-are-sirlins-games-ranked-average-lower-vlaadas/page/1

If Vlaada makes an appearance this will be a masterstroke in trolling.

I kind of feel bad for Sirlin because even though he seems goony I don't see why people give a poo poo that he made chips that resemble something some random person posted on the internet for their own use. I assume Sirlin hasn't become some millionaire off this guy's idea. It's another game for everyone to play or not play, jeesh.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Ugh, BGA wants me to learn how to play the games BEFORE I play them? What sort of barbarism is this? Teach me the games you lovely website!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really want that Polish coup edition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EvilChameleon posted:

Ugh, BGA wants me to learn how to play the games BEFORE I play them? What sort of barbarism is this? Teach me the games you lovely website!

I actually learned Troyes on BGA by just clicking buttons with a friend in skype for 10 minutes!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mild slapfight with Sirlin and DXV in a flamebait thread on BGG entitled "Why are Sirlin's Games Ranked on Average Lower than Vlaada's Games?"

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338424/why-are-sirlins-games-ranked-average-lower-vlaadas/page/1

I kind of feel bad for Sirlin because even though he seems goony I don't see why people give a poo poo that he made chips that resemble something some random person posted on the internet for their own use. I assume Sirlin hasn't become some millionaire off this guy's idea. It's another game for everyone to play or not play, jeesh.

Donald X posted:

As I am fond of saying, it's great that people got to make Dominion-inspired games, and sad what they chose to do with that ability. With exceptions for actual new games such as, oh, Mage Knight? Now there's a game I'd like to try sometime.

:iceburn:

I don't mind Sirlin though. He should probably just accept that people think/know he copied those chips but Puzzle Strike is still a good game and I'm interested to see what he and Fowers come up with together.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Um, I think it's pretty clear he copied the design, then didn't credit the guy. When DXV asked, he didn't deny it. In the thread he doesn't deny it - he just thinks it's OK because he "built on that" (his same argument for why it was OK to do an En Garde expansion without crediting anyone). Phrasing it in hazy terms - like his tokens just happened to resemble some other tokens he hadn't seen - is disingenuous. Well, and ridiculous, when you look at the two items - which are identical. And when you notice that he doesn't even deny it.

And how is it better that the guy he stole from is "some random person on the internet"? I'm some random person on the Internet. I think it's obviously, obviously way worse that he's stealing, uncredited from some anonymous dude. I mean, I don't think DXV would be too concerned about getting mentioned in some game manual, but for "some random person" to get credited could be something really meaningful. It smells like he's vaguely respectful to people he feels are powerful, and crapping on people when he thinks he can get away with. In what f'ed up, immoral world is it more OK to steal from "some random person" than it would be to steal from someone with a name?

I don't hate Sirlin - but this in particular was a dick move, and it's 100% perfectly fair that he's getting called out and made fun of for it. Also, Pandante is just plain terrible. Just terrible. He needs more people around him who will tell him his crap stinks.

quote:

I assume Sirlin hasn't become some millionaire off this guy's idea.

Screw this too. It doesn't make it better that Sirlin isn't terribly successful. Doesn't excuse anything, just makes Sirlin more pathetic.

quote:

It's another game for everyone to play or not play, jeesh.

Finally, screw this. Nobody is questioning Sirlin's right to make a game they don't like - and it's moronic to pretend that's the argument. They're questioning him stealing somebody's stuff and calling it his own. Obviously.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 19, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

^ I played Terra Mystica once and I'd try it again, but it was really points-salady for me and I didn't really know what I was doing other than "this shape goes here to get you x points" and whatnot. It didn't help that the guy who taught it is a very mechanical type of person and didn't inject much interest into it to begin with. I think I prefer games with a little bit of hidden information or goals or something so that I don't feel like I'm just trying to solve a semi-interactive logic puzzle. (I also didn't feel like I was interacting much at all in TM).

Ahhh. That's kind of how I feel about 'Gric, actually, so that's interesting -- in terms of it feeling a little point salady and feeling like a semi-interactive puzzle.The goals in Terra Mystica for each round seem like they ought to spice that up a bit, but yeah, I can see the criticism of it feeling a little bit puzzle-ish and having very subtle interaction but I feel that it's no more so than 'Gric. Maybe give it another shot.

Anyways, both Archipelago and Keyflower have hidden and variable goals.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

Um, I think it's pretty clear he copied the design, then didn't credit the guy. When DXV asked, he didn't deny it. In the thread he doesn't deny it - he just thinks it's OK because he "built on that" (his same argument for why it was OK to do an En Garde expansion without crediting anyone). Phrasing it in hazy terms - like his tokens just happened to resemble some other tokens he hadn't seen - is disingenuous. Well, and ridiculous, when you look at the two items - which are identical. And when you notice that he doesn't even deny it.

And how is it better that the guy he stole from is "some random person on the internet"? I'm some random person on the Internet. I think it's obviously, obviously way worse that he's stealing, uncredited from some anonymous dude. I mean, I don't think DXV would be too concerned about getting mentioned in some game manual, but for "some random person" to get credited could be something really meaningful.

I don't hate Sirlin - but this in particular was a dick move, and it's 100% perfectly fair that he's getting called out and made fun of for it. Also, Pandante is just plain terrible. Just terrible.

Yeah, I don't think there is any denying that he's goony and stole the guy's idea and is being disingenuous and is probably not a cool dude etc etc but my point was more about why should I care? I'm not trying to be callous, but it doesn't seem like anyone was harmed. It doesn't impact playing the actual game and I don't think that guy was going to publish his chips so I don't know why it's such a big deal. I haven't even heard if the anonymous dude is mad. And it's just another game to play.

I mean, to channel Sirlin for a second here, dozens of video games basically "ripped off" Street Fighter's mechanics and style. Dozens of games ripped off Doom or Quake or whatever. It doesn't seem like that big a deal. I don't think it's actually harming either producers or consumers here, even if he comes off as a bit of a douche.

e:

quote:

In what f'ed up, immoral world is it more OK to steal from "some random person" than it would be to steal from someone with a name?

It's not that it's a random person, it's that it's someone's unpublished personal hobby thing that they posted a picture of on the internet. How does Sirlin's game diminish this person's personal game? And furthermore, I wasn't going to ever get to play that person's chip game. I can play Sirlin's. I think I'm allowed to simultaneously think Sirlin comes off as kind of a douche and yet not really see the harm and would rather the game existed than not.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 19, 2015

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ahhh. That's kind of how I feel about 'Gric, actually, so that's interesting -- in terms of it feeling a little point salady and feeling like a semi-interactive puzzle.The goals in Terra Mystica for each round seem like they ought to spice that up a bit, but yeah, I can see the criticism of it feeling a little bit puzzle-ish and having very subtle interaction but I feel that it's no more so than 'Gric. Maybe give it another shot.

Anyways, both Archipelago and Keyflower have hidden and variable goals.

Terra Mystica gets better after the first few plays, when you realize that what race you choose is actually really important, not only in relation to the round bonuses, but also in relation to what races other players have picked.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Yeah, I don't think there is any denying that he's goony and stole the guy's idea and is being disingenuous and is probably not a cool dude etc etc

Ok, I'm with you...

quote:

I mean, to channel Sirlin for a second here, dozens of video games basically "ripped off" Street Fighter's mechanics and style...

And you lost me again. Play Sirlin games if you want, obviously. But I don't see why we need to defend the behavior or legitimize it somehow. Yes, lots of games use each others mechanics and whatever. But they seldom steal quite this brazenly (he just openly copied a whole raft of design elements), game makers usually credit each other, and will pretty much all - if it actually comes to it and they're asked - credit their influences and openly thank people. And, if they don't, then they're jerks too.

It doesn't matter whether dude is publicly complaining or not. Lots of people don't like conflict. Dude probably doesn't mind - and that's why a non-rear end in a top hat would have just wrote him and said, "hey, can I use some of your design ideas" because he'd probably say "go ahead". And if he doesn't want you to use them you don't. That's what a normal human, and pretty much any other designer, would have done.

All these excuses you're throwing up, they're all garbage. He did a jerk thing. That doesn't mean you have to boycott Sirlin or something (though nobody should get Pandante, it's terrible) but I also don't think anyone need to pussyfoot around it. And if he's getting called out on it, that's perfectly reasonable and to be expected. Some people don't want to buy from a jerk. Personally, I don't pick games that way, but I don't think it's crazy to want to support people you like - as humans - rather than people you don't.

quote:

I think I'm allowed to simultaneously think Sirlin comes off as kind of a douche and yet not really see the harm and would rather the game existed than not.

Jesus Christ all he needed to do was credit the guy he stole from. Nobody is saying Sirlin can't make games, or that you can't buy them.

Edit: Sorry everyone for long-winded arguing.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 19, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ok, you're right, let's never talk about Sirlin in this thread again. Let's keep this thread jerk-free

E: let's talk about games again!

quote:

Mottainai (もったいない?, [mottainai]) is a Japanese term conveying a sense of regret concerning waste.[1] The expression "Mottainai!" can be uttered alone as an exclamation when something useful, such as food or time, is wasted, meaning roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste."[2] In addition to its primary sense of "wasteful", the word is also used to mean "impious; irreverent" or "more than one deserves".[3]

Mottainai is an old Buddhist word, which has ties "with the Shinto idea that objects have souls."[2] Mottainai has been referred to as a tradition,[2] a cultural practice,[4] and an idea which is still active in the Japanese "cultural DNA",[2] which has become an international concept

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18679864#18679864

I'm pretty hyped for this although with some reservations due to Uchronia's reception (I never played it)

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 19, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Single Tight Female posted:

Oh god you can wound spent units. That's it. That's the thing I forgot.

No. That's a thing you forgot. You forgot plenty of other stuff too, trust me. For instance, it's Ice Block that's effective against Fire Attack.

Edit: If the thread is jerk free, wont it just die?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Honestly I'm just kinda amazed that DVX and Sirlin get into slapfights on an internet forum.
I'm pretty sure Sirlin's scummy, but all I know about him is the Fighting Game community stuff. :shrug:

Also played a 3 hour and a half game of Argent whiich was probably the longest game ever played in one sitting at this pub.. I swear we could've cut down on like half an hour if this one guy didn't keep taking smoke breaks. Everyone enjoyed, Argent is good. I'd buy the expansion if it was possible to find it in Wales.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

For instance, it's Ice Block that's effective against Fire Attack.

This has never troubled me. Elements cancel out their opposite when you're blocking so you need fire for ice and vice versa. Everything else is Ice or Fire resistance which is why you want the opposite element to the one the monster has resistance to. In both cases having the opposite of the monster is good.

let's just forget unit resistances exist because they break my logic

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BonHair posted:

No. That's a thing you forgot. You forgot plenty of other stuff too, trust me. For instance, it's Ice Block that's effective against Fire Attack.

Everyone brings this up, but it's a rule you'll never miss once it's pointed out to you because you know there is something weird going on. I'm much more likely to forget adding gold mana after finishing my turn in a Glade, for example.

In other news, someone stole my messenger bag the other day. Given that it was laptop-sized, I'm enjoying some schadenfreude imagining the face of the thief when he noticed that I was only carrying a foreign language copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

Anyway, I was going to give the game away, having finished all the cases (with all the deductive prowess of a stunned magpie), so now I’m kinda bummed. Would anyone be interested in a PbP game, as a way of sucking up to karma or something? I was thinking 3 players per case, either rotating the crew or soldiering on if the interest keeps up.

EDIT: Holy poo poo each time I read this I find new spelling/grammar errors.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 19, 2015

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

BonHair posted:

Oh I'm definite I have, but I feel the unit wounding thing is the biggest one for me right now. I try to avoid taking wounds to my deck, but I've never taken a wound to a unit.

The ice block thing I know all too well since I spent 10 minutes in the last game wondering how the hell I was meant to block some Gunners. "I have Tovak's ice block card and the mana for the block 5, the Gunners have ice resistance so that's block 6, perfect! Oh wait, but ice resistance means they ignore the effects of blue cards? So how do you block them effectively?"

It took me way too long to figure out that's neither here nor there since the spell is affecting me, not them. (it'd be great if I'm still wrong)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Fat Samurai posted:

Everyone brings this up, but it's a rule you'll never miss once it's pointed out to you because you know there is something weird going on. I'm much more likely to forgetting adding gold mana after finishing my turn in a Glade, for example.

In other news, someone stole my messenger bag the other day. Given that it was laptop-sized, I'm enjoying some schadenfreude imagining the face of the thief when he noticed that I was only carrying a foreign language copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

Anyway, I was going to give the game away, having finished all the cases (with all the deductive prowess of a stunned magpie), so now I’m kinda bummed. Would anyone be interested in a PbP game, as a way of sucking up to karma or something? I was thinking 3 players per case, either rotating the crew or soldiering on if the interest keeps up.

I would definitely be up for that, have been meaning to try that game for a while.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm pretty hyped for this although with some reservations due to Uchronia's reception (I never played it)

It's a shame because I really liked Uchronia's overall game design, but hated its physical design choices (not sure how much of it was the fault of Chudyk or Iello), like Great Work cards that were badly printed and sized to be unsleevable, and the Order deck being a huge stack of tiny cards making it thrice as difficult to shuffle.

At that MSRP, though, I'll like give Mottainai my backing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mottainai hype

Oh wow, this looks cool. Glory to Nippon, a good theme :japan:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ok, you're right, let's never talk about Sirlin in this thread again. Let's keep this thread jerk-free

E: let's talk about games again!

Uchronia was boring because none of the cards did special things so the tension of "do I score this or do I use this?" was completely missing. The shared pool of GtR also made you grab cards that didn't exactly fit your actions because you wanted their special power (another interesting decision).

Yeah uchronia had decisions, but they just weren't as interesting as gtr.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

some bgg poster posted:

Quite subjective I think.

Put simply Chvátil games are rated higher by users, presumably because more people prefer them.

Thread should have been over after the first post.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jeeves posted:

nvm

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 4, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Honestly I'm just kinda amazed that DVX and Sirlin get into slapfights on an internet forum.
I'm pretty sure Sirlin's scummy, but all I know about him is the Fighting Game community stuff. :shrug:

Ehhh it wasn't really a slapfight between them, kind of disappointing really. Sirlin posted Tuesday night whining about how picked on he is then the next day DXV responded to a Sirlin supporter to give his side of an encounter he and Sirlin had at a conference years back. Neither of them has posted since and aside from DXV just recounting the same story he has said before, there weren't any barbs flung in either direction.

EDIT: Going back through the thread it's pretty obnoxious to begin with: "why is this designer I like not as highly rated as one of the most prolific and well respected designers in the industry??"

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This is the best news. And $12? Why the gently caress would I not buy it? He even found a graphic designer that isn't total garbage (I'm looking at you, Impulse).