Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

It does, theoretically, but that's where my feet go. It's not like there's much room at the best of times.

Besides, you should be able to go a week on a properly packed carrymax bag, and at least on larger aircraft, there's enough space for everyone to have one of those in the bin. The problem is when people think they need literally all of their belongings ever on the plane with them. I wish North American airlines would follow Europe's lead and strictly enforce a one carry-on limit.

Not to mention those assholes who try to sneak massive carryons like dufflebags onto the airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Corporate taxes are not lower in Canada. Maybe the headline rates but effective tax rate for most us corps is lower than here.

Do you have a credible source for this? Yes I know GE pays no CIT, but the few things I've found from googling do not suggest anything of the sort. Mind you, those are certainly biased sources that would be inclined to argue that poor American corporations are overtaxed, so if you do have a credible source for this, fire away.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Companies / markets are smaller here, thus the companies have less buying power and are mostly price takers, meaning they pay more for the underlying goods and thus need to charge more to make money.

Well, except for the Canadian branches of American/global megacorps, who have no issues of the sort.

PS shut the gently caress up about air travel and beer you idiots.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know who are the worst mothetfuckers for hogging overhead cabin space? Motherfucking pilots. gently caress those guys. Especially the assholes who hitch a ride between Vancouver and Calgary in the loving embraers.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Seriously, let's all laugh at the timing of this idiot's book.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...ome-a-new-state

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PT6A I really hate to derail but can you tell me what means you use to upgrade or book business class/first class flights overseas? Do you have a points card or do you just make/save enough money to pay the extra money?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

brucio posted:

I guess how he overlooks how after the crash Alberta will be really dependent on equalization payments to stay afloat.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

brucio posted:

Well OK, but we get Minnesota (its already basically Canada Lite) and Washington in return. Maybe Michigan because I feel like Detroit hasnt suffered enough.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't give a gently caress if alberta separates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kraftwerk posted:

PT6A I really hate to derail but can you tell me what means you use to upgrade or book business class/first class flights overseas? Do you have a points card or do you just make/save enough money to pay the extra money?

This time, I paid the full fare (which was not super-crazy compared to the normal fare, and was less than the premium economy fare), and this is the first time I've actually paid for business class. I've taken business class flights on points within North America, but I've never seen a business class seat available on the overseas leg even when I search for it (it will offer business class in Europe/North America and then economy between the two).

eXXon posted:

PS shut the gently caress up about air travel and beer you idiots.

I think discussing how and why Canadians get hosed by airlines is a relevant issue in the "Canadian economy is hosed" thread. Beer, less so.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

eXXon posted:

PS shut the gently caress up about beer you idiots.

no gently caress YOU dad

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Air Canada is not the worst in-flight experience, but goddamn are its prices just insane. I just paid $1,100 for a Toronto <-> Calgary roundtrip, and $1,250 for a Toronto -> Kota Kinabalu (Malaysian Borneo) + Bangkok -> Toronto multicity trip. Both are with AC (although to be fair there are an Asiana and Thai Air flight involved in the latter). Figure that one out. Thank god work pays for the first one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Compare flights within Canada to flights to China for a healthy dose of :psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Calgary to Montreal and Calgary to Madrid, on the same dates, would've taken the same number of Aeroplan miles (or cost like $1600 round trip) when I checked last Thanksgiving after the Great Fire of '14.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

etalian posted:

I guess how he overlooks how after the crash Alberta will be really dependent on equalization payments to stay afloat.

Meh, the US does equalization of a sort too. Overall, the state that bitch most about taxes are the ones that are (sometimes huge) net benefactors of federal taxes. Also, we already have one Texas, so in order for us to take Alberta off your hands you'll have to empty it of all the Albertians first. We don't care what you do with them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cultural Imperial posted:

I don't give a gently caress if alberta separates.

Actually, dear Alberta, please separate. Then the rest of us might have a chance at a NDP government, or at the very least LPC.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kraftwerk posted:

I have a million mile tag that's sadly only good for delta and its network that gets me a free upgrade every time.

if you ever read about the history of air travel in North America service started going to poo poo once governments stopped propping up airlines with mail contracts (or cargo contacts for the old CP air).

The only reason AC is remotely good outside of Canada is the old legacy of CP Air which was basically Canada's international flag carrier, but its pretty much gone.

Porter is the best airline flying in Canada if you can get over their quirks.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Talisman are cutting 15% of its head office. Conoco is cutting 7% of its canadian office.

ps gently caress alberta and gently caress canada

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/18/no-immediate-action-from-ottawa-to-cool-canadas-housing-market-says-pm-harper/

quote:

No immediate action from Ottawa to cool Canada’s housing market, says Stephen Harper

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Prime Minister Stephen Harper says the federal government is keeping a careful watch on borrowing and lending tied to the country’s hot housing market.

But Harper says Ottawa has no immediate plans to take action to cool it down, like it has in the past.

Responding to a question in Mississauga, Ont., he said debt-servicing costs are falling and default rates remain extremely low.

Harper made the remarks at a time when big banks and other lenders are cutting mortgage rates to kick off the spring real-estate season.

They also come amid concerns Canadians have piled on too much debt and worries that housing markets in Toronto and Vancouver have become overheated.

Harper says he’s not “unconcerned” about the housing-market situation, but he believes Canada’s financial institutions remain very strong.

Well yeah the banks are strong as long as the CMHC backstops the bullshit they've securitized. Thank goodness for the free market and a tory government that's eager to get out of the way of businesses.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/03/mapping-the-global-super-rich/387307/

:siren: richard florida, urban planning idiot extraordinaire wrote this :siren:

Vancouver doesn't crack the top 25.

https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/578349067232641024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/18/no-immediate-action-from-ottawa-to-cool-canadas-housing-market-says-pm-harper/

Well yeah the banks are strong as long as the CMHC backstops the bullshit they've securitized. Thank goodness for the free market and a tory government that's eager to get out of the way of businesses.

Is that what you see? Reading between the lines it sounds like the tories are trying to force the decision to cool the housing market on the next government. That way they can then sit back and say that government caused it with their policies and knowingly crippled the economy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't know what to think. That's terribly cynical of the Tories if you're right.

I doubt we'll see the last of idiot Steve after the next election.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jan posted:

Actually, dear Alberta, please separate. Then the rest of us might have a chance at a NDP government, or at the very least LPC.

Why would we want a NDP government when Mulcair is actively trying as hard as he can to suck up to business interests?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, I went on a long cycle ride through all the light industrial in Burnaby this evening and basically everything is for lease. Whole office parks, empty. Sure, maybe they all moved to the valley or outgrew their space at the same time, but I doubt it. :shrug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

Lack of competition is certainly a part of it, but there is a good reason why there isn't room for more than two national domestic airlines in Canada - our market is very small and spread out over incredible distances. As an example, flying from Calgary to Toronto is roughly the same distance as flying from Dublin to Istanbul...clear across Europe, in other words, and that's barely more than halfway across Canada. Remember when I said that an airplane will burn X amount of fuel, need Y amount of maintenance spending and Z amount of salaries to fly a given distance? If those distances are large, X+Y+Z is gonna be a big number. There are other reasons that preclude competition in the Canadian aviation sector, but they start to get complicated and would require an effortpost that frankly is beyond the scope of both this derail and this thread. :)

Yeah, I get that Canada is a long distance place. But when I can't get a return flight from Vancouver to Toronto for less than $500 return, and I can fly from Dublin to Istanbul for $250, there's something wrong.

Look at Australia: it'a also a huge country, it's a first world country, and their wages are higher than here. You can very regularly get Sydney -> Melbourne or Sydney -> Brisbane seats for $49-$59 one way. That's a regular thing that has been happening for a long, long time. That's basically the equivalent of going Vancouver -> Calgary or Toronto -> Montreal. Good luck ever getting prices remotely close to that here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The problem is that the government insists on supporting and subsidising isolated communities in the territories. If people stopped living in such nonsensical poo poo holes we wouldn't be giving ac implicit subsidy by keeping other airlines from servicing our cities.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Warning: anecdotal evidence from a good friend with 40 years in the airline industry.

One of the biggest costs for airlines that consumers don't see in Canada is the gate fee and other airport fees to the airlines. These fees are much much higher in Canada than the rest of the world mainly because when the federal government decided to privatize the airports they retained ownership of the land airports sit on, and charge a large amount of rent to the airports. This is not really the case in most other countries. Further, airports in Canada usually pay a higher proportion of the cost of infrastructure upgrades than is normal in other parts of the world.

Essentially, the federal government treats airports as revenue generators for the government and is less willing to fund the cost of infrastructure and detract from their revenue. This is in contrast to the U.S. and Europe where airports are treated more as essential infrastructure with the costs dispersed across society as a whole rather then exclusively on the passenger.

vvvvvv

As an aside, I seem to remember reading once that Pearson has higher landing fees than Heathrow, which says it all right there. Also, if it was public or private wouldn't really matter if the government wasn't trying to squeeze it for revenue instead of treating it like essential infrastructure.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 19, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorau posted:

Warning: anecdotal evidence from a good friend with 40 years in the airline industry.

One of the biggest costs for airlines that consumers don't see in Canada is the gate fee and other airport fees to the airlines. These fees are much much higher in Canada than the rest of the world mainly because when the federal government decided to privatize the airports they retained ownership of the land airports sit on, and charge a large amount of rent to the airports. This is not really the case in most other countries. Further, airports in Canada usually pay a higher proportion of the cost of infrastructure upgrades than is normal in other parts of the world.

Essentially, the federal government treats airports as revenue generators for the government and is less willing to fund the cost of infrastructure and detract from their revenue. This is in contrast to the U.S. and Europe where airports are treated more as essential infrastructure with the costs dispersed across society as a whole rather then exclusively on the passenger.

For sure. It's apparently cheaper for Air Canada to overnight an E190 in Havana, which itself has ridiculous fuel prices and ridiculous landing fees, instead of doing it at Pearson.

You know me: I'm not exactly a fan of the government owning things. But I feel like airports and other important bits of infrastructure should probably be wholly owned by the government. That's just common sense.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Brannock posted:

Why would we want a NDP government when Mulcair is actively trying as hard as he can to suck up to business interests?

At least Toms' beard-hairs might tickle their junk a little?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/microsoft-s-new-b-c-workforce-to-consist-mostly-of-foreigners-draft-plan-1.2990462

quote:

Microsoft's new B.C. workforce to consist mostly of foreigners: draft plan

Tech giant won't promise the majority of new jobs will be held by Canadians

A majority of workers at a new Microsoft Canada training centre in Vancouver would be drawn from the ranks of foreigners, according to draft plans obtained under British Columbia's freedom of information laws.

Both the federal and provincial governments have praised the Microsoft Canada Excellence Centre as a project that will boost the B.C. economy and create 400 jobs, mainly in software and services engineering. 

go backNewsPolitics

ADVERTISEMENT

Mar 18, 2015 9:14 AM ETLouise Elliott, CBC News

media duration:2:31play video

Microsoft's new B.C. office to be staffed mainly by foreignersVIDEO

media duration:4:44play audio file

Microsoft on foreign workers in B.C.AUDIO

A majority of workers at a new Microsoft Canada training centre in Vancouver would be drawn from the ranks of foreigners, according to draft plans obtained under British Columbia's freedom of information laws.

Both the federal and provincial governments have praised the Microsoft Canada Excellence Centre as a project that will boost the B.C. economy and create 400 jobs, mainly in software and services engineering. 

Read the Microsoft Centre of Excellence documents

The freedom of information documents, given to CBC News by a third party who works in the industry, reveal Microsoft Canada initially promised that only 20 of those 400 new jobs — or five per cent — would go to Canadians. The documents also suggest that, through a variety of programs including the controversial Temporary Foreign Worker program (TFWP), the majority of the new workers would come from abroad.

The documents date from 2013 and 2014, and include letters and briefing notes from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and British Columbia's Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training. They show:

150 positions would be open to both Canadians and foreigners as "rotational employees" who would be brought in under the TFWP program with "no guaranteed number of Canadians." 200 "core employees" would be brought in at the "executive [level], management or those with specialized knowledge," but the company only committed that 10 per cent of those 200 core employees would be Canadian. The document states the number of Canadians "is likely to grow over time."50 positions would go to "foundry employees" — paid student interns from Canadian universities. But the document stipulates that some of those students could be international students, and do not have to be Canadians.

The documents also show that, in the planning stages, most of the 200 "core" employees at the Microsoft Centre of Excellence were expected to be foreign workers from three categories:intra-company transfers (people who have worked at least one year for Microsoft abroad); those brought in under the TFWP; and contract workers hired abroad who qualify to work in Canada under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Documents out of date?

This week, CIC spokeswoman Nancy Caron told CBC News in an email that the documents are out of date.

go backNewsPolitics

ADVERTISEMENT

Mar 18, 2015 9:14 AM ETLouise Elliott, CBC News

media duration:2:31play video

Microsoft's new B.C. office to be staffed mainly by foreignersVIDEO

media duration:4:44play audio file

Microsoft on foreign workers in B.C.AUDIO

Read the Microsoft Centre of Excellence documents

The freedom of information documents, given to CBC News by a third party who works in the industry, reveal Microsoft Canada initially promised that only 20 of those 400 new jobs — or five per cent — would go to Canadians. The documents also suggest that, through a variety of programs including the controversial Temporary Foreign Worker program (TFWP), the majority of the new workers would come from abroad.

The documents date from 2013 and 2014, and include letters and briefing notes from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and British Columbia's Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training. They show:

150 positions would be open to both Canadians and foreigners as "rotational employees" who would be brought in under the TFWP program with "no guaranteed number of Canadians." 200 "core employees" would be brought in at the "executive [level], management or those with specialized knowledge," but the company only committed that 10 per cent of those 200 core employees would be Canadian. The document states the number of Canadians "is likely to grow over time."50 positions would go to "foundry employees" — paid student interns from Canadian universities. But the document stipulates that some of those students could be international students, and do not have to be Canadians.

The documents also show that, in the planning stages, most of the 200 "core" employees at the Microsoft Centre of Excellence were expected to be foreign workers from three categories:intra-company transfers (people who have worked at least one year for Microsoft abroad); those brought in under the TFWP; and contract workers hired abroad who qualify to work in Canada under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Documents out of date?

This week, CIC spokeswoman Nancy Caron told CBC News in an email that the documents are out of date.

Former federal employment minister Jason Kenney promised last June that provinces would not longer get exemptions under the temporary foreign worker program. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)"The documents referenced date back to 2013 and early 2014, and describe the early planning stages and preliminary discussions around the Microsoft Canada Excellence Centre, which occurred during that time period. We stand by the information that we provided to you in December," she wrote.

In December, CIC told CBC News "most" of the 400 jobs would be held by Canadians.

However, in a written statement yesterday, Microsoft Canada made no such promise. Instead, the company said a majority of its current workforce in Vancouver is Canadian, but that may not last for long.

"[As] we hire staff for our new excellence centre, we will be recruiting talent from around the world (in addition to Canada), which may result in that balance shifting," officials with the company wrote.

No updated numbers

Despite requests from CBC News, neither Microsoft Canada nor B.C.'s jobs ministry provided any updated ratios of foreign to Canadian workers.

In an email, a spokesman for B.C. Jobs Minister Shirley Bond said the training centre will provide a "net benefit" by bringing in "at least $90 million annually for up to 10 years." 

Bond's spokesman said no Canadians would be displaced from their jobs by the creation of the centre — although he would not say what proportion of the new positions would go to Canadians, calling that "proprietary information" belonging to Microsoft.

Canadians have already been hired in "jobs that would not be here without the training centre," he said, giving workers "exposure to one of the world’s biggest tech companies."

As CBC News previously reported, the government is allowing Microsoft to bring in temporary foreign workers through a federal-provincial annex agreement that exempts the company from performing a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) to find Canadians who can fill the jobs.

Changes promised

That's despite a promise last June from JasonKenney, who at the time was federal employment minister, that the provinces would no longer get such exemptions.Kenney announced changes to the foreign worker program following allegations it was being abused.

​At the time, his department said annex agreements were "being changed so that employers that used to bring temporary foreign workers to Canada through these agreements will now be subject to an LMIA."

Immigration lawyer Lorne Waldman said the draft plans call into question the government's stated rationale of economic benefit.

"One wonders what's the actual economic benefit to Canada of creating 400 jobs if the majority of those jobs are going to foreign workers and not to Canadians, and especially given that a lot of these foreign workers are going to be rotating through Canada with the ultimate object possibly being to get jobs in the United States or other jurisdictions," he said.

The documents show the province pursued the plan through its so-called major project exemption process, which requires the project not displace British Columbians from the job market, create job opportunities for BritishColumbians, and result in a "sizeable multi-year investment."

In an interview last year with BloombergBusinessweek, Karen Jones, Microsoft's deputy general counsel, said the deal  with the Canadian and B.C. governments will allow Microsoft to bypass stricter U.S. rules on visas for foreign workers.

Waldman argues even the rotational positions should be going to qualified Canadians only. He says the case sets a precedent that will anger smaller tech companies that have protested changes to the TFWP in order to maintain an even playing field.

Why don't we have a fat right xenophobic political movement yet inflicting hate crimes on tfws? Microsoft pulled this poo poo in the UK, BNP, ukip and Chelsea football club supporters would be burning their employees in the streets.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

Because it's clearly the best alternative available to us at this time. You think Trudeau or Harper would be better? How about Liz May? Lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/microsoft-s-new-b-c-workforce-to-consist-mostly-of-foreigners-draft-plan-1.2990462

Why don't we have a fat right xenophobic political movement yet inflicting hate crimes on tfws? Microsoft pulled this poo poo in the UK, BNP, ukip and Chelsea football club supporters would be burning their employees in the streets.

Vancouver a modern high tech job hot spot

(Actually just a halfway house for american job stealing H1B foreign workers)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget hootsuite!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I still don't understand how everything Hootsuite does hasn't been made part of twitter itself yet.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FrozenVent posted:

I still don't understand how everything Hootsuite does hasn't been made part of twitter itself yet.

It really makes no goddamn sense that it hasn't. Twitter is run by idiots though (except for the infrastructure folks) so it's not surprising I guess.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
At the last quarter earnings call Twitter announced that they were partnering with IBM to develop and analytics platform. Slowly but surely Hootsuite is becoming irrelevant. That's probably why Ryan "greatest tech entrepreneur eva" Holmes announced that Twitter planned to go public in 18 months.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Yes everyone here is deathly afraid of Asian office drones and computer wizz kids working for Microsoft, especially football hooligans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

At the last quarter earnings call Twitter announced that they were partnering with IBM to develop and analytics platform. Slowly but surely Hootsuite is becoming irrelevant. That's probably why Ryan "greatest tech entrepreneur eva" Holmes announced that Twitter planned to go public in 18 months.

what's their business model?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

what's their business model?

As best as I can tell, they don't have one, unless "convince morons to pay money for a lovely version of a free thing" qualifies as a business plan. But I think that's just wishful thinking.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

As best as I can tell, they don't have one, unless "convince morons to pay money for a lovely version of a free thing" qualifies as a business plan. But I think that's just wishful thinking.

how very 1999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

To be fair to Microsoft, in their case I'd bet for every job in the Canadian office filled by a foreigner, there's a job in their US office filled by a Canadian.

They hire Waterloo and U of T Engineering/CS grads like crazy. A good chunk of my classmates ended up in their Seattle office post grad.