Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rebochan posted:

Fun fact - that show was the first to depict a superhero piloting a giant robot and is literally one of the three shows that served as a prototype for Toei's Super Sentai series. Battle Fever J, which was the first to be considered a Super Sentai, actually came to exist because Japanese Spider-Man was so popular they were going to do a Captain America series (as Captain J)... and somehow that morphed into a five-hero giant robot piloting battle team and birthed a franchise.

So what I'm trying to say is, the reason Japanese Spider-Man looks a lot like a Power Rangers show... it's because Power Rangers actually exists BECAUSE of Japanse Spider-Man.

I'm not just nerding out on the source material for Power Rangers by the way. I mean, I am, but it's also a nice seque to note that Linkara just released parts 1 and 2 of HOPR: RPM to Patreon subscribers.

Japanese Spiderman needs to show up in the Marvel movies.

CHANGE, LEOPARDON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Compendium posted:

I have yet to figure out what Red Zone Cuba is even about even after multiple viewings and listens. Monster A-Go-Go is the one episode I absolutely cannot get through.
Red Zone Cuba is basically nihilism put to film. All the main characters are irredeemable monsters and each half-mumbled, increasingly depressing scene scored by rousing dead-loving-silence serves to reinforce the movie's thesis that we are all garbage people living in a garbage world.

Monster A-Go-Go is about film budgets and production time tables and how sometimes things just don't work out :shrug:

Mokinokaro posted:

The one episode of the show I cannot stand is Hamlet. It's just such a boring, lifeless rendition of that play that it's completely unenjoyable.

Oh also I loving love the Hamlet episode. The "cut his throat in a church" scene and the final duel are some of my favorite MST3K moments in the entire run of the show. It's actually kind of ruined the play for me because now I can't hear "To be or not to be" without my brain going "The verbal equivalent of duh-duh-duh dunnnn."

Edit: Maximilian Schell is also pretty decent in that adaptation even if nobody else is :colbert:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 19, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.
Yeah because no one can beat Reb Brown

Though I have a fondness for Soultaker

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Compendium posted:

Monster A-Go-Go is the one episode I absolutely cannot get through.

And as Jay Bauman so kindly showed us, Monster a Go-Go is not even close to the worst thing Rebane made. Twister's Revenge is worse than any movie ever featured on MST3K and Jay is the greatest monster who ever lived for streaming it to unsuspecting victims.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cubey posted:

And as Jay Bauman so kindly showed us, Monster a Go-Go is not even close to the worst thing Rebane made. Twister's Revenge is worse than any movie ever featured on MST3K and Jay is the greatest monster who ever lived for streaming it to unsuspecting victims.

Junkyard tank scene means reality disagrees.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Girl's Town was always one of my favorites. Maybe it's the novelty of Paul Anka and Mel Torme in a juvenile delinquent picture, the time capsule of the 1950s' all-consuming fear of teenagers, the Catholic school alumnus in me liking all the Catholic school stuff, I dunno. It's just the one I enjoy watching the most.

And yeah, I'm one of those who looks at the show in terms of Frank and post-Frank. Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy were fine--heck, Mary Jo Pehl flourished as a villain--but for me, EndlessFrank will always flow, for all we know.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
May seem like an obvious choice for me but I also love Werewolf.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

MonsieurChoc posted:

Japanese Spiderman needs to show up in the Marvel movies.

Actually, Marvel put him and Leopardon into their Spider-Verse series last fall. It kind of got overshadowed by Spider-Gwen's unexpectedly explosively popular introduction, but...

YEA YEA YEAAAAAA WOW!

DoombatINC posted:

Monster A-Go-Go is about film budgets and production time tables and how sometimes things just don't work out :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKiaRUKgmA

Just... the disgust in Joel's voice...

^^^^^^^

Of course you would ;) Seriously though, endless werewolf car chase... freaking gold.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

DoombatINC posted:

Oh also I loving love the Hamlet episode. The "cut his throat in a church" scene and the final duel are some of my favorite MST3K moments in the entire run of the show. It's actually kind of ruined the play for me because now I can't hear "To be or not to be" without my brain going "The verbal equivalent of duh-duh-duh dunnnn."

Edit: Maximilian Schell is also pretty decent in that adaptation even if nobody else is :colbert:

Count me in as liking that episode too. It's honestly probably the most divisive one in MST3K's catalog from what I've heard from other fans.

Since I've seen it multiple times it has the bonus effect of making me sound really familiar and knowledgeable with the play when it comes up in discussions.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Miss Wallace posted:

May seem like an obvious choice for me but I also love Werewolf.

I dunno, you saw him last!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I kind of like Monster a Go Go, just because nothing makes any sort of sense in it. It's like some kind of Dada B-movie. Also I like the terrible soundtrack.

I think I generally prefer the old black and white crap to the later schlocky things in MST3K, other than the musical ones. I wish I could get the soundtrack of TISCWSLABMUZ...

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.

I LOVE Space Mutiny, and Danger: Diabolik. I have no idea why but the comment about the game of simon stuck to the ceiling had me practically in tears. I think I just can't get enough of John Phillip Law - the first movie I ever saw him in was The Sergeant, which I reviewed. It's a very serious sort of movie about a tortured closeted gay military commander who hits on an unaware young private - and so it was bizarre to see that most of the rest of his career is just weird campy b movies.
Pod People, Werewolf, Laserblast, Merlin's shop of mystical wonders, even stupid stuff like the Girl in Gold Boots - there's a lot of great MST3k movies. I watched a lot of them last year while I was knitting a whole bunch of shawls.

I can't remember how I heard of them - TV tropes, probably? (I'm definitely too young and too not-American to have gotten them the first time around.) First episode I watched was Manos, which was DEFINITELY not the best one to start with. Later I watched Werewolf and Laserblast and enjoyed them a lot more.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Paw actually reviewed Incredibly Strange Creatures forever ago because it considered itself a musical. That poor bastard.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Girl in Gold Boots

This episode doesn't get enough love when discussions about the best of MST3K come up. I HAD A PRETTY MIIIIIIND!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Cubey posted:

This episode doesn't get enough love when discussions about the best of MST3K come up. I HAD A PRETTY MIIIIIIND!

Pretend I coughed really hard and this link fell out of my jacket as I walked away

Girl in Gold Boots is one of the few movies I've hunted down to watch un-riffed, alongside The Rebel Set and Phase IV

Edit: I've owned Mitchell on DVD for at least a decade and have yet to watch it; I believe this is the correct course of action

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 19, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cubey posted:

For some reason the joke that has stuck with me and my brother is the "We are thinking of Adopting" joke from the beach scene in that movie

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Cubey posted:

I love that episode. Used it as my handle for a little while too, but it's quite cumbersome to type out.

I used to use "icky elf" as an insult all the time too. I was very sad when I moved to the LA area and couldn't go check out the "Haunted House" or anything cool that looked like it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Keromaru5 posted:

Girl's Town was always one of my favorites. Maybe it's the novelty of Paul Anka and Mel Torme in a juvenile delinquent picture, the time capsule of the 1950s' all-consuming fear of teenagers, the Catholic school alumnus in me liking all the Catholic school stuff, I dunno. It's just the one I enjoy watching the most.

And yeah, I'm one of those who looks at the show in terms of Frank and post-Frank. Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy were fine--heck, Mary Jo Pehl flourished as a villain--but for me, EndlessFrank will always flow, for all we know.

Oh god that clip of Frank running away from the lawnmower was one of the funniest moments in MST history. I remember seeing it as a kid and cracking up. I wish I could remember what episode it was from. I remember it eventually gets him and you see all this confetti fly up in the air.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rebochan posted:

Paw actually reviewed Incredibly Strange Creatures forever ago because it considered itself a musical. That poor bastard.

Oh hell yes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The best episode of MST3K was Ishtar.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Leech Woman, The Screaming Skull, and Agent from H.A.R.M. are repeat watches for me.

And now I must torture monkeys.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Check out what TV's Frank has been doing lately.

https://youtu.be/may-KmxyGK0

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I was 12 years old when I saw MST3k’s version of Hercules Against the Moon Men, and I was immediately hooked. I watched through the Comedy Central seasons, but because we didn’t get SciFi in my hometown, it wasn’t until after the show was off the air that I saw any SciFi episodes.

In addition to the ones everyone points to as their favorites, I have soft spots for Cave Dwellers, Eegah, Danger!! Death Ray, and Escape 2000.

My picks for best shorts are Mr. B Natural, The Home Economics Story, and Last Clear Chance. (When I moved to Idaho, I drove around Meridian looking for the intersection where Frank Jr. met his grisly end, but the countryside from the film is all suburbia now and I wasn’t able to find it.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who's favorite MST3K is This Island Earth? It was the first one I ever saw when my best friend got a copy on VHS. We wore the poo poo outta that tape.

That same friend later got bootlegged DVD's of every episode, which awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

May seem like an obvious choice for me but I also love Wurwilf.

Fixed that for you.

(It's a favourite too.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outcast of Gor will always be my favorite. Cabbot, Cabbot, Cabbot, Cabbot, Cabbot!

Though I'm also fond of the mexican Santa Claus one where he fights Satan.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jack Gladney posted:

Joel left because of some undisclosed disagreement with Jim Mallon, who is the only MST3K guy to not end up doing Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax--and the one guy none of the Best Brain alumni will discuss. Take that how you will.

Mallon retain the copyrights to all MST3K stuff and tried to do his own web series with a flash-animated Crow and Tom. It was garbage.

Also, my sources indicate that there is a number of the Best Brains alumni don't get that much on royalties from the streaming services or DVD sales.

Robert Denby posted:

Apparently the last straw was Mallon's desire to make an MST3K feature film and going around Joel to get what he wanted. Joel wanted nothing to do with it, but Mallon met with movie studios and pitched the MST3K movie anyway. Mallon also threw a shitfit when Rhino Home Video hired Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett on for a direct-to-DVD series called 'The Film Crew', which riffed of public domain or cheap-to-license titles. A few episodes of the show were finished and ready to go, when Mallon threatened to both sue Rhino and relinquish the MST3K license from them if they didn't drop the project because he deemed it to similar to MST3K. As a result, it was shelved for years but eventually released right around when Rifftrax started.

I think part of the reason was that Film crew had host segments with Mike, Kevin and Bill. I thought that was the thing Mallon was harping on. I think that's why Rifftrax started with more well known Hollywood movies at first.

The funny thing is that MST3K eventually did leave Rhino for Shout Factory.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I managed to catch Soultaker unriffed on late-night TV a few years ago. It was a good bit better without the cuts they had to make for time. Not good or anything, just weirdly watchable. The opposite is Hobgoblins which I can barely stand to watch even with the riffs. Uggh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why are so many of the best ones 80s sci-fi? I vote for Time Chasers (almost got a job at Castleton once) and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Overdrawn is a great one.

I also love Pumaman.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Prince of Space is also a good one. I like it very much.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know it's... counter intuitive, but are there any episodes that aren't so good?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Codename Diamond Head" is pretty dull, and "Last of the Wild Horses" is completely unmemorable except for the "Mirror Mirror" parody that plays out over the host segments.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know it's... counter intuitive, but are there any episodes that aren't so good?

Season 1 I feel is really off. It feels like their writing is not as top notch.

Also, I'd avoid their KTMA episodes, as they were improvised and the movies with potential were redone in season 3.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I'll always have a soft spot for that Japanese Planet of the Apes rip-off and the Gamera episode where Gamera fights a monster with a Knife for a face. And of course Warrior of the Lost World starring Megaweapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5euYoAy4DL4

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I agree that season 1 is pretty unwatchable. Since it's improvised there's also lots of dead air, so it barely feels like you're watching a riff at all.

As for more good ones, Horrors of Spider Island always kills me. I'm more selective with the black and white movies, but that one's great.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah Season 1 is pretty drat rough.

I'd say that Sidehackers is a pretty awkward episode. If you don't know, this is the episode where they started their policy of screening films before picking them because they didn't realize there was a brutal rape/murder scene in it and had to cut it out of the episode. Since that was a pretty major scene it sort of left them in a weird position where they had to basically go "Uh, So that character is dead everybody" to catch the viewers up to speed. The movie in general is pretty loving dark, which can be worked with like Girl in Lovers Lane, but the whole movie is gross and weird so the crew is just sort of left wandering around trying to make jokes where they can.

I'd say my favorite episode is I Accuse My Parents, it's sadly overlooked but has some of the best jokes in the series in my opinion. The burger joint owner is a delight.

Whats the general consensus on the Hamlet episode? I liked it because it felt like an interesting idea but I can see people disliking it.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 19, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Deadly Mantis was my favorite - but that's one that's fallen into copywright hell AFAIK.

I remember the first episode I saw - my friends and I were channel surfing at 1am and just happened to trip over it. I never found out what the film was but it had a running gag wherein one of the characters was a hypnotist (or something) so Tom Servo would constntly ad-lib "SLEEEEEPP!" to lines throughout. Never found it again. :(

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at something in my life.

I started watching with Mike and simply could never gel with Joel episodes. That seems to be a thing with the series, it does depend on who you started with. I also have the opinion that the robots personalities were just about fully formed when Mike turned up, while everything was still on training wheels with Joel.

Content:

My friend made me watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7Ywv_JiI

It sold me on the card game - it's on the way, but goddam Will is loving annoying in this. (e: On second thought: everyone is loving annoying in this) Is he like this in all his videos? I remember when he wrote columns in Dragon magazine, and he was pretty cool and chill and whatever in that - really helped me in my games. God only knows when the creature in this video emerged. Any thoughts?

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

KayTee posted:

Deadly Mantis was my favorite - but that's one that's fallen into copywright hell AFAIK.

I remember the first episode I saw - my friends and I were channel surfing at 1am and just happened to trip over it. I never found out what the film was but it had a running gag wherein one of the characters was a hypnotist (or something) so Tom Servo would constntly ad-lib "SLEEEEEPP!" to lines throughout. Never found it again. :(

It was actually something of a running joke, so there's a couple movies you could have seen. Operation Double 007 had the joke with a hypnotist. If it was the Mike era, you're probably thinking of Devil Doll or The Undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

KayTee posted:

I started watching with Mike and simply could never gel with Joel episodes. That seems to be a thing with the series, it does depend on who you started with. I also have the opinion that the robots personalities were just about fully formed when Mike turned up, while everything was still on training wheels with Joel.

The first part of what you said is probably true, that the guy you started watching with is probably going to be your favorite. I started watching with Joel in 1991, so Joel was always my favorite. But I disagree that everything was on training wheels with Joel. The KTMA episodes and Season 1 sure, I'll give you that, they were still finding their feet in those seasons. But by season 2 they had their poo poo down, and I still contend that seasons 3 and 4 were their best seasons. The personalities were full formed by then, but the personalities of the robots changed when Mike came. Joel was always more of a fatherly figure, and the robots were like his kids. But with Mike, the robots were more like guys showing HIM the ropes. Mike was the new guy, and eventually they were all just equals. It was just a different dynamic. They were both great hosts, but I preferred Joel. Joel's humor was a little more surreal and you had to think about it more, but it was always worth it. Mike's humor was more biting and more accessible, but it was often mean spirited compared to Joel's. A lot of people preferred the snarkier "bad movie beat down" approach of the later seasons, but I never really did. I do admit in many ways Mike was funnier than Joel, and I am aware that he was writer of MST3K since season 2 (when the show got really good). But I always preferred the more laid back, "where the gently caress did he come up with that reference" humor of Joel. And the cool thing about the Joel years is that you had both Mike and Joel on the show, so you had the best of both worlds.

quote:

Content:

My friend made me watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7Ywv_JiI

It sold me on the card game - it's on the way, but goddam Will is loving annoying in this. (e: On second thought: everyone is loving annoying in this) Is he like this in all his videos? I remember when he wrote columns in Dragon magazine, and he was pretty cool and chill and whatever in that - really helped me in my games. God only knows when the creature in this video emerged. Any thoughts?

Yeah, table top is like this most of the time. Will Wheaton is great at playing an rear end in a top hat, and I have a feeling he does have that rear end in a top hat streak in real life (although it is mostly tongue and cheek and played for laughs). And I do enjoy table top when he's the rear end in a top hat player that everyone's trying to beat and they do get him. He likes to taunt players and get into the gloating winner role. I admit I'm kind of like that Will Wheaton guy too when I play board games so I shouldn't talk. Some board games bring out the worst in people. That being said, I can't watch a full episode of table top. The rpg ones are usually the best ones, but again, they suffer from the same problems, and the best I can do is skip through it after a few minutes. I don't know what it is, I can sometimes sit through 50 hours of Let's Play videos on video games I've beaten before, but I can't watch a 20 minute professionally edited board game let's play.

Someone's going to figure out how to record a decent Let's Play video for board games that are actually watchable and entertaining. Board James has come the closest to pulling it off, but those are more like little movies that focus more on the characters than the actual game. Still I think for some rpgs, it could work. Some of the D&D games I've run would make great let's play videos if they were filmed and edited right. There were some truly hilarious moments and the story-lines we've come up were actually quite unique and wonderful. But it's one of those things that requires co-operation from everyone involved, multiple cameras, and lots and lots of time and effort that I'm not really willing to put in. Someone will beat me to the punch because I'm lazy.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 19, 2015

• Locked thread