Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

BFC posted:

There is no core premise for the 3D sonic games. 3D Blast was an isometric collectathon, SA1 was an attempt at translating the inertia and momentum from the Genesis games into 3D and also gimmicks to pad out time, SA2 was attempt number two but with even more characters and playstyles, Heroes was obnoxious speed, multiple routes, and team puzzle solving, Shadow the Hedgehog was more obnoxious speed and overtly combat focused, Sonic 06 was a trainwreck trying way too many things at once, Secret Rings was speed without much substance, Unleashed tangoed with more meaty manageable but erratic speed and tried combat again, I don't think we need to talk about Black Knight, Colors had speed but also methodical platforming and puzzle solving and the Wisps complimented them all well enough, Generations was reflex and speed with some stage-based mechanics, and Lost World pushed even more for speed and added parkour while keeping and demoting the Wisps.

Seriously, the only things I can remember that are generally consistent in the games are the homing attack, some of the characters, combat at varying levels of complexity, and rings. If they only cared about going fast they wouldn't throw enemy roadblocks at you that you couldn't skip.

Actually SA 2 was less playstyles and a more focus on the ones that worked. They got rid of Amy's puzzles and balloons, Tails racing to beat Sonic and Big's fishing gamemodes in favor of focusing on the Sonic, Gamma and Knuckles modes, which they fleshed out more by having 2 characters each, both with their own upgrades to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
What's really impressive is that they found ways to make all three of those playstyles even less fun than before

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic adventure 2: battle is a perfect video game

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Davinci posted:

Been playing DKCTF and thinking about it too. It's hard. I've been dying a lot in that game, but what I think is really interesting is that in this game in particular, dying makes me feel like I want to do better. Usually in games, if I'm doing badly, it just makes me frustrated and want to quit, but this game and a small few others are unique in that losing makes me want to keep playing. I wonder what specifically makes it different in this regard than other games.
Can you mention examples of the other games (both the good and bad ones)? I can think of some generalities but I'm not necessarily sure they'll apply in the games you've experienced.

One thing is consistency in the sense that you know consistent failing is a result of what you're doing, and if you can get it right you can then also consistently recreate that result. You can get acclimated to something and get more comfortable without having to worry about completely random bullshit screwing things up (...unless that itself is one of the expected aspects :v:). Like even with stuff that's considered cheap, as long as it's consistent in level design or mechanics or whatever, you can still learn and get better at it. (Or really really good like speed runners or those people that can beat Punch-Out blind folded)

I guess another would be the learning curve and tangible progression. Sometimes things can just get overwhelming, which itself is ok to an extent, the bigger issue I think is if you don't see or feel some type of progress as you keep trying. It can be frustrating and discouraging to play and get nowhere, while the feeling of getting better at something can be really encouraging, you're getting a payoff for the effort you put in vs nothing. There's different difficulties and dynamic difficulty and stuff at work to address that these days but not everything is successful (particularly if it makes it too easy, which is also a problem).

And uh probably posted (...cause I might've clicked it from here) but Time interviewed Iwata and Miyamoto:
http://time.com/3748920/nintendo-mobile-games/
http://time.com/3747708/nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto/

Also here's an awesome cake:
http://time.com/3749985/nintendo-nes-wedding-cake/

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Oh right it was basically 3 playstyles with two skins each. I really do need to replay SA2B but I'm pretty sure I'd just chase Chaos forever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

sharrrk posted:

sonic adventure 2: battle is a perfect video game

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does it have beautiful water?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

japtor posted:

Does it have beautiful water?

It has a chao garden

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junkie Disease posted:

"Suggests that due to how much content you need to make for a Sonic alone game, it’s too much work. You need additional characters to spread the burden of content." Some dumb Sonic Boom Producer.
http://nintendoeverything.com/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-producer-reflects-on-the-game/
Wow.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

By "burden of content" he's obviously referring to the amount of time/effort/money that goes into making an individual stage/area/etc.

3D Sonic games have always struggled in that sense because Sonic stages are huge and detailed and resource-intensive but Sonic needs to be able to blow through them in a few minutes, so they have to pad the games with all sorts of bullshit in order to keep people from complaining that the games are short or lacking in content or whatever.

It's even worse when you know that Sonic Team fixed the problem years ago. I can't remember where it was, but something they mentioned was the solution turned out pretty drat simple when they were making Sonic Colours - just space out the 3D sections with 2D ones.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Davinci posted:

What's really impressive is that they found ways to make all three of those playstyles even less fun than before

yeah aside from metal harbor, the main game is trash.

however they did expand the chao aspects which was the only thing that the first adventure game did right. so good on them for that. it's a shame that generations didn't have chao gardens.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

smiley please

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

It has a chao garden

Every second spent programming this sort of thing is a second not spent on making a good game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Trent posted:

Every second spent programming this sort of thing is a second not spent on making a good game.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Grass Effect posted:

smiley please

Did someone say smiley please???

I'm torn on MP10. Reviews seem eh, and I need to cancel my Amazon preorder, but I did get the $10 off deal, which I'll lose...drat! First world problems.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toady posted:

If investing in an online platform is half-assing it, what do you think their real intentions are?

Maybe I mistyped, I meant they are not half assing it. I think Nintendo is pretty serious about this and even if you don't play their mobile games you will feel effects from it.

Also Mario Party 2 is clearly the best, though I'm pretty sure the RNG is rigged for Mario.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I thought with Generations they'd learned that people would rather have a short game that's really fun to replay, than a huge slogfest full of lovely padding that you play once and then never want to touch again? I'm sure I remember seeing an interview with someone at Sonic Team saying just that. Did they all hit their heads and forget?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Suaimhneas posted:

I thought with Generations they'd learned that people would rather have a short game that's really fun to replay, than a huge slogfest full of lovely padding that you play once and then never want to touch again? I'm sure I remember seeing an interview with someone at Sonic Team saying just that. Did they all hit their heads and forget?

Sonic Boom was made by different people who have proved themselves to be very dumb in many other ways.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

elf help book posted:

Sonic Boom was made by different people who have proved themselves to be very dumb in many other ways.

However, Sonic Team did make Lost World, a real pile of poo poo in its own ways. Given how long Sonic was terrible before, and how it went back to being terrible after, it's pretty clear that Generations was Sonic Team blundering their way into somehow making a really good game, and even then, Generations fell apart hard right at the end.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I am a page late but the best part of mario party 2 is "AUGH! YA CORKED ME!"

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tatsuta Age posted:

I am a page late but the best part of mario party 2 is "AUGH! YA CORKED ME!"

Toad humping while wearing the boat, come on now.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
The Gamecube Mario Party was the best. I am the Party Star.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's even worse when you know that Sonic Team fixed the problem years ago. I can't remember where it was, but something they mentioned was the solution turned out pretty drat simple when they were making Sonic Colours - just space out the 3D sections with 2D ones.
I haven't really played a Sonic game since Sonic 3, so I was going to ask if any of the 3D ones were a mix of 3D and 2D like Super Mario 3D Land/World, because that seems like a no-brainer to me. Don't bother with dumb gimmicks or combat or anything, just make courses that are fun to speed through, and that switch between 3D and 2D for different sections or whatever.

e: Also the entire soundtrack should just be the music from Starlight Zone.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 19, 2015

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

abagofcheetos posted:

Toad humping while wearing the boat, come on now.

cheerfully withdraw my comment because this guy is right

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The best part is it starts out as a nice, slow, rhythmic humping, then he gets all excited and goes into overdrive.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've never seen a game that demanded the presence of a rental store more than Mario Party

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Mario Party DS was really, really good and pretty much the perfect iteration of the Mario Party concept as far as I am concerned, so I don't understand why all the ones they've made since then have apparently been so lovely :sigh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PrBacterio posted:

Mario Party DS was really, really good and pretty much the perfect iteration of the Mario Party concept as far as I am concerned, so I don't understand why all the ones they've made since then have apparently been so lovely :sigh:

Someone at Nintendo seems to think Mario Party is about friends playing together in cooperation, rather than pushing friendships to one final crass word away from a triple-homicide.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Bowser Revolution is amazing

Every single time

Also would any of you like to come to my hootenanny?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The best Mario Party is Mario Party 5, especially with the "capsules must be put on the next available blank space" house rule.

This is not up for debate.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One thing I actually really like about the car in 9/10 is that with the different dice types, you can try to land yourself on favourable spaces while screwing over whoever the next player is. Controlling your roll to land the car just in front of a batch of nega-stars is a pretty great dick move.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not gonna lie, I'm only interested in Mario Party 10 because Amiibo Party looks like traditional Mario Party and I really like the detail that opponent pieces get knocked over if the dice block rolls over them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Every single time

Also would any of you like to come to my hootenanny?

In later Turns, "Boo" is almost a killing word.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

:ussr:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

What is the 3D Sonic games core premise, doing platforming really quickly? Because that's been done right and well many times before. It feels more like the developers are more interested in unpolished gimmicks rather than expanding and fine-tuning the central gameplay mechanic of just running and jumping.

The good parts of Unleashed and Generations are "Trackmania with a jump button".

Supercar Gautier posted:

When asked about the pay models, Iwata said that they don't want to hurt perception of their IPs, and that they're more focused on attracting an audience than maximizing profit, which all reads to me like they want to avoid the more depraved pay-to-win stuff.

I'm sorta hoping this means like a free Splatoon branded match three game with no IAP but you unlock costumes and XP that can be cashed in on the Wii U game if you login with the same NID.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

"Master Chief is the most recognizable character in gaming..." :suicide:

Must be an outdated video. Red Angry Bird and Minecraft guy are the most recognizable characters in gaming now.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Szmitten posted:

I'm sorta hoping this means like a free Splatoon branded match three game with no IAP but you unlock costumes and XP that can be cashed in on the Wii U game if you login with the same NID.

I'd much rather be able to unlock a game's content by playing the game itself, and not have to play match-3 shitfest #6533764 to do so

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mario is more recognizable then Mickey Mouse

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Mario is more recognizable then Mickey Mouse

Only in the national survey back in 1990. In 1992, Sonic surpassed them both. At one point in the early 2000's Superman was the 1st.

As of 2010 it was Pac-man.

Now it's Angry Bird and Minecraft.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this where I gripe about my nunchuk not working? Cause it ain't. What do I do about that? Apart from resetting, syncing, reconnecting and wiggling and scrubbing the connector and swearing at it I mean, cause that ain't working. Buy a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This might be a silly question, but I can't seem to get the Nintendo costumes to unlock in Bayonetta 2 (I've beaten 2nd climax at gold/platinum at all chapters, the 3rd chapter proved to be a challenge for some reason). How do I get them to be available to buy, keep in mind that I haven't touched Bayonetta 1 on Wii U because I've played it on Xbox 360.

• Locked thread