Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress i hate this part of every review for a bad thing

Google clearly doesn't intend for the Pixel to be a mass market item. It's quite expensive, it runs Chrome OS, and it's only sold in the US and the UK. There's clearly a small market for people that want a laptop like the Pixel though, and those are the people that Google are targeting. I am not one of them, and I do not know many people who are, but they do exist.

wow, is that so! like why isn't a reviewer allowed to comment on whether this is a terribly misguided product no one wants.

and seriously draw me the ven diagram that helps us find the elusive target market. OK, they're only in the US and UK, but not elsewhere. they can afford expensive computers. and not even this anime watching mega nerd is one. i am seriously drawing a blank.

http://anandtech.com/show/9082/the-chromebook-pixel-2015-review/6

this is how articles praising apple computers look to normal people btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

complete and utter annihilation oh my god

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress i hate this part of every review for a bad thing

Google clearly doesn't intend for the Pixel to be a mass market item. It's quite expensive, it runs Chrome OS, and it's only sold in the US and the UK. There's clearly a small market for people that want a laptop like the Pixel though, and those are the people that Google are targeting. I am not one of them, and I do not know many people who are, but they do exist.

wow, is that so! like why isn't a reviewer allowed to comment on whether this is a terribly misguided product no one wants.

and seriously draw me the ven diagram that helps us find the elusive target market. OK, they're only in the US and UK, but not elsewhere. they can afford expensive computers. and not even this anime watching mega nerd is one. i am seriously drawing a blank.

http://anandtech.com/show/9082/the-chromebook-pixel-2015-review/6
it's for Steve klabnik

only person I've ever seen

1. With a chome book pixel
2. Black shoes, black socks, black shorts, black t-shirt at a beach resort in Brazil

lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Black shoes, black socks, black shorts

cadillac

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Beast of Bourbon posted:

wait do you guys really not know why marty o was fired?

i thought it was common knowledge by now

please dude tell me!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

you don't have to think very hard to figure out why they did it do you

"nobody is clicking our lovely suggested videos because they're lovely. i know, let's force them down their throats, then we'll become netflix for sure."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the only time i ever click on suggested videos is when it has the next part of the video series i'm watching

the vast majority of the time it has the part of the series i just watched and then nothing that has anything to do with what i'm watching

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

the only time i ever click on suggested videos is when it has the next part of the video series i'm watching

the vast majority of the time it has the part of the series i just watched and then nothing that has anything to do with what i'm watching
sometimes it'll have some future episode or the most recent episode instead of the next one in the series. youtube really hates playing videos from oldest to newest and it's dumb

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Improbable Lobster posted:

yes. watch fartboner part 13 and it will suggest fartboner part 8, fartboner part 12 and fartboner part 15

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

"nobody is clicking our lovely suggested videos because they're lovely. i know, let's force them down their throats, then we'll become netflix for sure."

no, come on

if they get to autoplay videos a certain X% of the time
and they roll an ad on those videos Y% of the time

then they just increased ad impressions on youtube by X*Y% by just flipping a switch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech, a normal person

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Endless Mike posted:

fishmech, a normal person

truth

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

no, come on

if they get to autoplay videos a certain X% of the time
and they roll an ad on those videos Y% of the time

then they just increased ad impressions on youtube by X*Y% by just flipping a switch

oh yeah, youtube has ads

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use autoplay :kiddo:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

please dude tell me!

allegedly, marty o structured his poo poo in a very smart way from day 1. all the music he created for halo since the first game was only licensed to microsoft/bungie through his company. so he made bank after bank since MS had to pay over and over, like when they wanted to do a new trailer, they had to cut him another check. he had some baller rear end licensing agreements, since halo was making so much god drat money no one really cared.

so bungie splits from ms and starts making density for atvi. bungie is now independent again and marty is trying to continue to do his structured licensing agreement, essentially loving over bungie. but bungie management is like "bruh, no way, this isn't how this still works, we can't just pay you like we used to" and marty refuses to change his deal with them and is still a bungie employee so they have to fire him since he allegedly was refusing to do his job. so there you go.

i never had any insight into the bungie/343 stuff, but i can see this being true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk who that is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im gonna take a wild guess based entirely on beast of bourbons post and say hes the guy who did the music for halo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
marty o'donnell, who has been doing music for bungie since approximately loving forever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

marty o'donnell, who has been doing music for bungie since approximately loving forever

ah sorry some of us are not up on our video game music composer trivia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I only appreciate 8-bit bleep-bloop audio composers from glorious Nippon

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

ah sorry some of us are not up on our video game music composer trivia

i went to a pub recently and it was the DJ's first day at work. every single song he played was from the guitar hero soundtracks. i only played the first 2 guitar heroes many moons ago, but I started to notice a pattern and got suspicious. so I googled the ones I didnt recognize as being from the first 2 games and sure enough. guitar hero.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol we had a good time, part of that included making fun of the dork DJ who only plays video game music

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
you're the moron who thinks of songs from guitar hero are video game songs, instead of you know mostly dadrock/classic rock poo poo that normal radio played a lot

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

this is guitar hero, I know this!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolomite posted:

this is guitar hero, I know this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well idk if you've played that video game but in it, you hear the same songs over and over and over. so pretty soon it becomes impossible to not recognize the songs as being from that game

so when you hear 5, 6 songs in a row that are from the game, you start to notice a pattern

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

well idk if you've played that video game but in it, you hear the same songs over and over and over. so pretty soon it becomes impossible to not recognize the songs as being from that game

so when you hear 5, 6 songs in a row that are from the game, you start to notice a pattern

they're also from every classic rock station ever + some "alternative" music stations

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lotta spergers who've never hung out at a bar with friends on this page

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://pastebin.com/qh6Tta3h

We were told to begin banning accounts that were close to their payout period (which is why account bans never occur immediately after a payout). The purpose was to get that money owed to publishers back to Google AdSense, while having already served up the ads to the public.

We were told to go and look into the publishers accounts, and if any publisher had accumulated earnings exceeding $5000 and was near a payout or in the process of a payout, we were to ban the account right away and reverse the earnings back.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
boy i sure trust anonmyous pastebins a lot

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nintendo Kid posted:

they're also from every classic rock station ever + some "alternative" music stations

the most popular radio station in my city, right here.
"FM-96. we barely play anything made since then!"
and sadly, it's the most modern by far, not counting the college station :barf:

and everyone at work wonders why I wear headphones

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

idk who that is

dumb arse

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

maybe if the dj were playin' some of those bands made up of harmonix employees that end up the bonus tracks i'd buy it

but it's still stupid as hell to look that up while at a bar lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"I'm amazed by how sensitively people responded to some of the privacy issues,"

Google explains why and how Glass failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003