Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There is nothing funnier than people who take incredibly serious, principled stands on concepts they fundamentally do not understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Look, if somehow instead of making their objections clear and starting a debate about the topic that resulted in the publisher making a measured decision not to publish the material they'd just stayed quiet and somehow made it go away through some kind of money-magic, I'd be completely fine with it, that's all I'm saying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Every time I have a discussion with someone and end up changing my mind from my initial perspective, I'm being censored. From now on I'm going to blurt out the first thing I think of and then stick with it come hell or high water, nobody's gonna deny my first amendment rights anymore :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Every time I have a discussion with someone and end up changing my mind from my initial perspective, I'm being censored. From now on I'm going to blurt out the first thing I think of and then stick with it come hell or high water, nobody's gonna deny my first amendment rights anymore :argh:

Don't worry, if you ever do change your mind, I will defend your initial opinion, regardless of if you want it or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bottom Liner posted:

They can talk about why they don't like it all day, of course. The problem I have is when they make it so that no one can consume the media they find offensive. That's a bad path that will lead to nothing good being produced because all of the companies will be too scared of publishing anything offensive to any group. I clearly meant boycott as in don't purchase, as I said. Vote with your wallet. Chill with the mental gymnastics. That's why I said changed/censored/removed in my initial post, because whatever you call it, it's a slippery slope.

Are you just picking random words out of a bucket? Do you honestly think people expressing their opinion is a form of censorship?

Edit: Mods, please ban Bottom Liner because he disagrees with me and therefore is censoring me and that's illegal under a very dumb interpretation of the constitution.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dan Didio posted:

There is nothing funnier than people who take incredibly serious, principled stands on concepts they fundamentally do not understand.

This is why conservatives are the funniest people.

Also, someone doesn't have to take pride in their work. I know multiple artists who have worked for people and done work they hate, or been given direction that makes them uncomfortable to do it. But they still did it because its a paycheck. Saying someone should stand by their work and have integrity, when the artist has stated that it was no longer his original concept, and that it was one made worse by request of an editor, which he felt uncomfortable with?

Clearly he should have had artistic integrity and told his boss no, and refused to ever change his work because otherwise would be censorship.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Skwirl posted:

Do you honestly think people expressing their opinion is a form of censorship?

No, but I do think that cancelling the release of a cover because a group of people find it offensive is.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bottom Liner posted:

No, but I do think that cancelling the release of a cover because a group of people find it offensive is.

You cannot censor yourself in a manner that is censorship. You cannot take your own product and go 'oh no we're being censored'. What they did was remove a product of their own making from the market to establish good will after realizing the effect it was having.

There is no government agency that swooped down and went 'nope you can't release that'. That would be censorship.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

You're oversimplifying and wrong about the details and the situation. DC weren't bullied or intimidated into doing this, they heard the concerns, and whatever else came to them, and made a decision about their output, a decision based on 'a group of people' that included their audience, the artist and the writers of the comic in question. You have no idea what you're talking about and have chosen the dumbest hill to die on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dan Didio posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about and have chosen the dumbest hill to die on.

So... Bobby Hill?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

I guess I just really take issue with changing/censoring/removing art because some people find it offensive. That's just a core issue I can never agree with, regardless of the dumb drama on both sides of this issue. I'm more mad that the artist didn't stand by his work than anything.

Just going to point out how hung up you guys got on one word in this post and spent the whole page arguing semantics. Whatever you want to call it, being offended is part of viewing art sometimes and I don't think creators should have to be so PC just because they're scared of offending someone. Again, I'm talking big picture and the precedence this sets. I'm done talking about this now, but I appreciate your efforts at dissecting my posts. Also, I'm far from being a conservative and it's hysterical I was called one :v:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey, loving off topic, I guess, but I just looked up the first Wonder Woman issues on Comixology and saw
William Moulton Marston had a co-writer named Alice Marble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Marble
She was a #1 tennis pro celebrity who retired into working for DC, then became a spy in WW2 and got shot in the back by a Nazi officer.

I'm ordering the hell out of her biography.

e: If there isn't a Bluewater comic on her, I dunno what Bluewater is doing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 19, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, I'm far from being a conservative and it's hysterical I was called one :v:

I wasn't actually meaning to call you a conservative, I was just making the reference to the whole 'it's funny when people argue about concepts they don't understand' thing, and tying it into making fun of conservatives because I do that a lot.

I think that the precedent this sets is good though - it shows the DC isn't afraid to look at negative reactions and realize what's wrong with it and change it, rather than continue being tone deaf like they have for the past 30 years and refuse to accept that anything could be a mistake.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Just going to point out how hung up you guys got on one word in this post and spent the whole page arguing semantics.

The only reason you're hung up on semantics is you spent the last page not understanding definitions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bottom Liner posted:

Jesus loving christ, you are the dumbest person on this forum, and that was quite a competition.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Just going to point out how hung up you guys got on one word in this post and spent the whole page arguing semantics. Whatever you want to call it, being offended is part of viewing art sometimes and I don't think creators should have to be so PC just because they're scared of offending someone. Again, I'm talking big picture and the precedence this sets. I'm done talking about this now, but I appreciate your efforts at dissecting my posts. Also, I'm far from being a conservative and it's hysterical I was called one :v:

Skwirl posted:

Jesus loving christ, you are the dumbest person on this forum, and that was quite a competition.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Skwirl posted:

The issue with the variant, is that some people expressed displeasure with it, and those critics received death threats

Seriously, why is that the go to reaction for some people? Like, do we seriously need classes in schools in how not to flip out online.

I'd like to say that's hyperbole on my part but I wouldn't be too upset if they started teaching online etiquette (or just etiquette in general) in my kids Junior school if it stops the knee jerk reaction of random offers of murder to different opinions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bottom Liner posted:

1. People are hung up on one word and arguing semantics because your entire stance so far is predicated on a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word means and its applicability to private institutions and public reception.
  2. Creators don't have to be so PC and literally nobody is arguing with you that they should be.
  3. This doesn't set a precedence because that word, again, doesn't mean anything like what you clearly think it does outside of a legal context.
hth bin liner

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Creators don't have to be so PC and literally nobody is arguing with you that they should be.

I would argue that, just not right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I picked the wrong week to click on the chat thread

and to stop sniffing glue

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

I would argue that, just not right now.
Not now Rhyno.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nevermind~!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 28, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TwoPair posted:

For some reason the second one just makes me laugh. The angry expression just makes me think of Barbara's internal monologue as "Christ, this rear end in a top hat again?"

They should have gone with that one from the beginning. Still somewhat tasteless, but you clearly see that the next panel would be Batgirl giving the Joker a severe beatdown.

Also the whole loving Internet apparently needs a Censorship 101. It seems every stupid idiot thinks anyone calling poo poo poo poo or boycotting said poo poo is censorship already.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ghostlight posted:

Not now Rhyno.

Hey now, there's no need to be that mean to Rhyno.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey Bats, are you doing all right? You look really hung over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Artist Ronald Wimberly put out a comic about Marvel asking him to lighten the skin tone of an African-American/Mexican character.

https://thenib.com/lighten-up-4f7f96ca8a7e

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

Artist Ronald Wimberly put out a comic about Marvel asking him to lighten the skin tone of an African-American/Mexican character.

That's really drat good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read DC but the impression I get is that the tone of the new Batgirl series is supposed to be lighter or at least different, and I read that the creative team on it is trying to do everything they can to stay away from the Joker in the book, and have said he will never appear during their run.

I've read a bit about it and from what I can tell DC commissioned a variant for an issue, the dude drew it unaware of the creative stance on "no Joker" and once he found out about it personally agreed that it didn't fit the tone and theme of the book.

So that one dude who is not saying (but is basically saying) that it's SJW bullshit is mega off base just like all the internet MRAs who are pitching a fit.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Endless Mike posted:

These sorts of vulnerable bits always make me feel uncomfortable for reasons I can never pin down. Then I thought ''if I were the editor in question would I have asked to lighten a person's skintone?'' and the answer was no, that's ridiculous so I guess I'm not a horrible racist.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dan Didio posted:

The only reason you're hung up on semantics is you spent the last page not understanding definitions.

To expand on this a bit, the meaningful part of censorship is the repression of dissent and subcultures, so questions of why and what are the broader effects are pretty important. I'd go a bit further and say censorship only is meaningful when it is people in power censoring a minority, if only because folks without power cannot stifle debate and expression in a meaningful way.

If you're (e: bottom liner) worried about a more general case of DC censoring images of a strong female hero reduced to a powerless mess, then you should totally speak up about that because I'm sure it will lead to a healthy and productive debate.

If you take the censorship point out of the argument, all you're saying is "I wish DC left the cover in", and I disagree with you, but I feel your pain.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's amazing how many words can be typed about a minor business decision made by a dying corporation in a niche hobby

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chinaman7000 posted:

It's amazing how many words can be typed about a minor business decision made by a dying corporation in a niche hobby

I don't think that'll fit as the new forum name

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bottom Liner posted:

I think protesting a company to change a piece of art is a form of censorship, yes

Then you don't understand what censorship is. There is a vast, vast gulf between "we think you should drop this alternate cover" and "you must by force of law drop this alternate cover." By the same token it's not infringing on anyone's First Amendment rights because there's no government involvement do we need to get a flowchart made for this poo poo?

I know the thread's mostly moved past this but dammit, I demand my chance to call out stupidity too.

Endless Mike posted:

This was a really, really good and interesting comic that everyone should read. Lovely, too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think that'll fit as the new forum name

Close enough :colbert:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

God's work and all that sir

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
A niche hobby?! How dare you. Why, if I wasn't the only one I knew who was at all interested in comics, I'd show you what for!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 19, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just found out there used to be a character loving named Gothic Lolita in Marvel.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

These sorts of vulnerable bits always make me feel uncomfortable for reasons I can never pin down. Then I thought ''if I were the editor in question would I have asked to lighten a person's skintone?'' and the answer was no, that's ridiculous so I guess I'm not a horrible racist.

Thing is, the editor's response was "I've been told..." which means there are other editors putting in their two cents or Marvel has some kind of bible/guideline for their characters. She even sent a swatch for reference.

Wimberly nailed it when he brought up how frustrating it is for a person of color to bring up racism because the entire conversation shuts down. "Racist" to a white person may as well be calling them a friend of the family, you just set off all their fire alarms and activated full defense mode. But you don't have to be a horrible racist to play into racism because it's so ingrained into the status quo. Same with sexism and homophobia, we all have to be aware how society influences our decisions.

Like when Erik Larsen was going off on female character designs he said "I'm tired of the big two placating a vocal minority at the expense of the rest of the paying audience" which is the #1 argument people use against changing anything in the media. But I don't know how anybody doesn't realize how inherently bigoted this statement is. If a minority audience (and by that I mean anyone who isn't a white straight male) buy into media that have zero representation then why is the majority incapable of doing the same when they're represented slightly less? Oh no, Aquaman is a Pacific Islander man! Surely this will upset delicate balance of the Justice League. They already have cyborg, isn't that enough? (actual comment I read about Jason Momoa)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I just found out there used to be a character loving named Gothic Lolita in Marvel.

That was in Adam Warren's "Livewires" mini. I think all the characters were based on Japanimation stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Warren is usually more clever with superhero names than that.

• Locked thread