Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

yeah but she cried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Presumably she's using the Venusians in her party as verified witnesses not only for the horrors of the war but also as a test of her ability to pacify the situation, to see if she and her allies can handle bringing order back to the earth sphere before her talks with La Gu can continue with a vested trust.

He really doesn't have much reason to trust her outright and even though their talks happened offscreen it seemed to go well enough that he gave her some support, but not all of it. Once the current mess is over if she's still on top she has a way better bargaining position to rebuild the system that broke in the first place.

That's just the ending I see with the time we have left though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It also helps that most of her direct rivals in positions of power are dead now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Earth was kept in a perpetual infancy where they legitimately did not know about how things were in space due to religious and social taboos and a lack of technology. Their religion is literally called Space Umbilical Cord so it isn't really subtle. It didn't change until Cumpa came to Earth to spin things up and Aida and friends have been trying to figure out the full context and details of what is going on. They literally did not have information and Towsanga only had a little more.

Aida went to Towasanga to find out what they knew only to discover they were one more link in the Photon Battery chain. She went to the Venus Globe to get the full story, did, and discover that the Venus Globe was a decaying society. Now she's returning to Earth and (theoretically) should be changing things. We'll see how that goes.

But doesn't this conflict with the fact that Bellri and Co knew the names of all the things involved in the transport of photon batteries? They knew that there was the Kashiba Mikoshi, they know that the crescent ship exists, and that it brings batteries to Towasanga. They didn't know the condition at the Venus Globe but the only thing they learned there was that it is lovely there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

But doesn't this conflict with the fact that Bellri and Co knew the names of all the things involved in the transport of photon batteries? They knew that there was the Kashiba Mikoshi, they know that the crescent ship exists, and that it brings batteries to Towasanga. They didn't know the condition at the Venus Globe but the only thing they learned there was that it is lovely there.

The Kashiba Mikoshi exists but as a religious thing. They were aware it existed but treated it as a holy object. The entire Kashiba Mikoshi/Crescent Ship thing was basically a religious ritual.

They didn't know about Towasanga. The SU-Cord religion dealt with Towasanga. All other countries were forbidden by religious taboo from even setting up observation of the night sky. (And even the non-religious feared the loss of photon batteries for doing so.) It was Cumpa who broke that stalemate. Remember how shocked Bellri and his mom were about the idea that there might even be invaders from space?

The bulk of the stuff they did with Towasanga and Venus Globe was discovering the truth behind religious taboos and the real status of the world. Once they got to Venus Globe they found out that, yeah, all of this religion was basically bullshit and Venus Globe was using to to keep Earth pacified and not much else.

It basically went:
Earth Sphere is dominated by SU-Cord Religion. Towasanga is dominated by a lesser version of it. The core of the power of SU-Cord is the Photon Battery shipments which they have control over. The Photon Battery Delivery is basically turned into a religious ritual and both Towasanga and Earthlings view it as a literal taboo curse to interfere with it. The taboos that they (Bellri in particular) held sacred are just set up to keep Earthlings pacified and connected to the Space Umbilical Cord.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

lol do you not count dealing with the president as learning

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i missed caros

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Kashiba Mikoshi exists but as a religious thing. They were aware it existed but treated it as a holy object. The entire Kashiba Mikoshi/Crescent Ship thing was basically a religious ritual.

They didn't know about Towasanga. The SU-Cord religion dealt with Towasanga. All other countries were forbidden by religious taboo from even setting up observation of the night sky. (And even the non-religious feared the loss of photon batteries for doing so.) It was Cumpa who broke that stalemate. Remember how shocked Bellri and his mom were about the idea that there might even be invaders from space?

The bulk of the stuff they did with Towasanga and Venus Globe was discovering the truth behind religious taboos and the real status of the world. Once they got to Venus Globe they found out that, yeah, all of this religion was basically bullshit and Venus Globe was using to to keep Earth pacified and not much else.

But again... what did that knowledge change things? I mean aside from adding additional factions to kill each other into the mix? Okay, so the people in space who give us batteries are assholes. And? How does that fix anything? How does having talked to La Gu help them when the conversation appears to more or less be "We are people in space who would like to make a lot of batteries"

Meh, whatever. Two weeks and we can see whether G-Reco ends with a bang or a wet fart.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dont even front like you won't come in and post about how much you disliked it no matter what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

But again... what did that knowledge change things? I mean aside from adding additional factions to kill each other into the mix? Okay, so the people in space who give us batteries are assholes. And? How does that fix anything? How does having talked to La Gu help them when the conversation appears to more or less be "We are people in space who would like to make a lot of batteries"

The important thing that happened with Aida is that she was given the actual support of La Gu, which is essential for actually changing the Photon Battery monopoly situation. The situation had been set up because he didn't believe humanity could change. She now has the support of the one person who actually can change the Photon Battery situation. Aida was basically following the trail of the Photon Batteries to find its source. She did and now she's in a position to change things if the entire Earth Sphere doesn't goddamn explode in the next two episodes.

The breaking of the taboos and the discovering of the real history was more important to Bellri who was a die-hard SU-Cordist at the start and by this point seems to have given up all traces of it in favor of supporting Aida.

Aida's basically won, assuming she can stop the war. It's the 'stop the war' part that is going to be the trick. That's why the ending is not likely going to be a giant explosive change because at this point it's kind of about the mopping up. It's almost certainly going to be in the same realm as Gainer's ending for good or ill. I suspect it's probably gonna be a pretty meh ending at best.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 19, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We still have the moon's equatorial belt of solar panels that turned out not to be the photon battery charging system and never was explained. Maybe Towasanga has a Death Star and/or a bunch of Satellite Cannons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wonder if Klim Nick won't actually turn and will just remain a nominal ally until the end. He was set up to be in direct opposition to Aida and Gusion's ideals but even though he's still a naive warmonger the megafauna still seems to be on good terms with him and Mick Jack.

I guess the worst thing you could say about him is that he remained on the sidelines instead of actively fighting the Yggdrassil but in his defense that thing was weird as hell and staying away was the safest option. He can capitalize on Gusion's death but i wonder if he'll take the true antagonistic role or just work together with Aida in the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I wonder if Klim Nick won't actually turn and will just remain a nominal ally until the end. He was set up to be in direct opposition to Aida and Gusion's ideals but even though he's still a naive warmonger the megafauna still seems to be on good terms with him and Mick Jack.

I guess the worst thing you could say about him is that he remained on the sidelines instead of actively fighting the Yggdrassil but in his defense that thing was weird as hell and staying away was the safest option. He can capitalize on Gusion's death but i wonder if he'll take the true antagonistic role or just work together with Aida in the end.

He's just had the entire Amerian faction of this standoff fall into his lap. He's gonna make some kind of move.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Given that he pretty much said he wants to be king of the world, he's almost certainly going to make a play.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Midjack posted:

Given that he pretty much said he wants to be king of the world, he's almost certainly going to make a play.

and, hopefully, fail miserably with Mick Jack bailing him out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klim is gona make a play. It just depends on if the end result of that is 'realizing he hosed up' or 'gets shivved." I don't think he's gonna fight Aida and pals though.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It would be pretty funny if the Dharma were to be destroyed with such force that the Dahak goes along with it, and we never get a chance to see what it can do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sunburnedcrow posted:

and, hopefully, fail miserably with Mick Jack bailing him out succeed completely.

Klim Nick for king of the world. The only ending that would be truly satisfying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Klim is gona make a play. It just depends on if the end result of that is 'realizing he hosed up' or 'gets shivved." I don't think he's gonna fight Aida and pals though.

I dont think he's gonna get shivved. Mick Jack seems to be watching his back as an equal partner to his schemes, so they're probably going down together if their plan goes sideways rather than backstabbing eachother.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The bloodbath didn't happen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think it's going to happen at all, hahaha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I don't think it's going to happen at all, hahaha.

That is how I've been feeling about the end.

Hooray.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

That is how I've been feeling about the end.

Hooray.

If it does happen at this point I would retroactively think very poorly of the series because it would come out of nowhere so fast so quickly. It's not what I want in a show like this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Same way with manny dying, it's such a bland motivation that's happened so often before in gundam shows even that I would hate it to go that way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That is a good point so I rescind my hooray until I see how it all unfolds.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I think they removed the blood to make room for more well-pronounced English.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

I think they removed the blood to make room for more well-pronounced English.

Steer dies and the well-pronouced English decreases while the blood keeps on flowing.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Sharkopath posted:

The bloodbath didn't happen.

How do you define bloodbath?

Bellri's narration in the preview gives a very clear direction for the ending, looks like this could wrap up very neatly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

People want all the named characters to die, and they didn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

People want all the named characters to die, and they didn't.

There's still time for that to happen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's still time for that to happen.

They won't because I will protect them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm going to take a laser bullet for Steer, and also Raraiya, and also Noredo, and also Manny, and also Kerbes, but not for Ringo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Steer's the yelly one, right? Yeah, I'd take a bullet laser for her.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd take a bullet laser for the captain of the Megafauna's lady chair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bellri! CRAZY!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Why do you people not want a happy ending where everyone's okay? :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, it's actually up early in Australia for once! :peanut:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Why do you people not want a happy ending where everyone's okay? :(

Oh I totally want a happy ending where it's Luin/Manny and Bellri/Noredo in a double wedding officiated by the Space Pope 4 years in the future. I want it more than anything in the world right now, but I'm just horrified of the possibilities because Tomino is a crazy person.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It was so weird to see them commenting on the use of wired funnels, but to not have a single person bat an eyelash at pretty much any other time that the regular old newtype only funnels have gotten thrown around. Then again I don't think we've seen a newtype flash through the course of this show so that whole thing is wonky to begin with.

Really at this point is it too much to ask for Domon or Master Asia to show up in Guyana and kick the poo poo out of the cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tell me more about how you want to brutalize teenage girls, Caros.

• Locked thread