Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not that any one technique is super hard, it's that you're doing a bunch of techniques all at once with some unusual construction. If you're fine with the techniques separately, I would go for it, but be religious about stitch markers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah it's not particularly difficult, but the way it does the edging seems really obnoxious. It has you do a provisional cast on onto a separate needle, which can be avoided I think by just picking up stitches later instead. I think it'd be fine so long as you kept really good track of everything, especially the edging and selvedge.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks! I usually follow pattern instructions very closely anyway so I think I'll take a crack at it. If nothing it's a good learning tool and let's me know how much patience I have :v:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Shiny Penny posted:

How difficult does this pattern look?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTtorreyana.php?printOption=printNoImages

It's listed under their "hardest" level but it doesn't seem too terribly difficult. I've done a few shawls now but this will be a bigger project for me. I'd like to try the worsted size.

If you've done a few shawls I think you'll be fine. I think it's listed as being so hard because it combines a lot to keep track of in the pattern with some techniques that aren't used much outside of lace.

Go for it!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Beads would up the difficulty significantly, but it looks like a fairly basic lace pattern otherwise. I wouldn't be too worried if you've done shawls before.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I'm actually planning on skipping the beads anyway. I'm not big on them, and it's an easy thing to drop!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Well that's another shawl added to my queue.

I'm going to have to break the graph paper open for this one:

But I need it.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

ackapoo posted:

I bought four sweater patterns yesterday. For some reason, I really need an Antler sweater.

I am working on an Antler right now! For unremembered reasons I started knitting it in a sport weight yarn, so it's definitely going to be less drapey than the original....

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I finished my sweater, and made a matching one for my cat Vesta.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
It's a little vest for Vesta. :3:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Does she wear clothes well? Vesta is so cute with her matching outfit!

Phishi posted:

It's a little vest for Vesta. :3:

AAAAHH :kimchi:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Ohhhhhhh, matchies :kimchi:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

effika posted:

Does she wear clothes well? Vesta is so cute with her matching outfit!

She tolerated it quite well, especially once I distracted her with some treats.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I just got diabetes because this picture is so freakin' sweet.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

She is a bobtail cat with stubby legs. The sweater pattern is Wicklow from Ravelry (I took a class at my local yarn store). The yarn is Schachenmayr Boston and it weighs a ton.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Black Trillium Fibers is having a Pi Day sale. It makes no sense but hey, maybe you need an excuse to buy a bunch of pricey but pretty gradients. I did!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

New Knitty is up.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Spoilers: it's poo poo.

Hope you really like shawls and tunics.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Anne Whateley posted:

Black Trillium Fibers is having a Pi Day sale. It makes no sense but hey, maybe you need an excuse to buy a bunch of pricey but pretty gradients. I did!

Thanks for this info! I have been hemming and hawing on buying from them but after seeing your PSA, I finally bit the bullet and purchased some gradient yarn. I can't wait to try them out!

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

:wink:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I love how the author tries to make Hybrid Vigour sound like a brilliant new knitting idea when it's just a poncho. A slightly fancy poncho, but it's a drat poncho.

Correction. It's a poncho that bunches up horribly on one shoulder. I want to reach into every photo and adjust the damned thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
And that ~fancy custom designed-to-my-specifications~ dye job doesn't even look like a gradient, it looks like rear end.

Spring/summer issues are always the worst for all knitting periodicals, but knitty is hitting new lows, which is actually really impressive at this point.

Nibblet posted:

Thanks for this info! I have been hemming and hawing on buying from them but after seeing your PSA, I finally bit the bullet and purchased some gradient yarn. I can't wait to try them out!
I don't think the sale is still going, it was just for Pi Day, but hope you enjoy it! It was my first order from them too.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Is that poncho asymmetrical making it bunch up at the shoulder? Why would you do that.

The actual lace pattern is very boring.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Every time a new Knitty comes out, I look at their past issues and find something good I forgot about. Currently knitting the Afternoon Tea shawl thanks to the awful current issue.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

Ma_NiC posted:

Every time a new Knitty comes out, I look at their past issues and find something good I forgot about. Currently knitting the Afternoon Tea shawl thanks to the awful current issue.

I do the same thing. I haven't actually started a new project though.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
drat, Knitty, that's some ugly poo poo right there.

I've been on a bit of a handwarmers kick lately, made two pair and started a third.
These were a present for my friend (I tried to make them a Christmas present but they were sized to fit a hobbit, not an adult human person, so I had to start over)

Then I made these for myself:

And I made a hat too, out of handspun:

My pom-poms are pretty lovely, gotta work on that. I don't think I've ever actually made one before, somehow. In like 15 years of knitting.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Those handwarmers are adorable :kimchi: I love gradients in fair isle.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Then I made these for myself:

I love these hand warmers, what pattern is this?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Out of curiosity, am I the only weirdo who looks at a pattern and knows *exactly* what shade it needs to be knit in? It only happens every so often, but I've had Mrs Peacock in my queue for over a year now, and I've always known that it needs to be in a shade of purple that's pretty close to the one in the pictures - it just won't work in another colour. I'll have to look again in the daylight, but I'm pretty sure I've finally found that purple. Beyond excited.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only weirdo who looks at a pattern and knows *exactly* what shade it needs to be knit in? It only happens every so often, but I've had Mrs Peacock in my queue for over a year now, and I've always known that it needs to be in a shade of purple that's pretty close to the one in the pictures - it just won't work in another colour. I'll have to look again in the daylight, but I'm pretty sure I've finally found that purple. Beyond excited.

Sometimes! I knew my Girl Friday would need to be in something gold/mustardy.

I've got a skein of Madelinetosh Prairie in Norway Spruce (dark teal leaning greenish) that I think would make a lovely Mrs Peacock. (I'm short a hundred yards on it, though, I may pass.) Definitely a dark color. The deep purple in the pattern photos looks very rich. I think it'd be hard to top that.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
So earlier we were discussing what was up with Miss Babs' yarn and why it was in high demand... Well I never really understood that about Wollmeise. That yarn is stupidly hard to get a hold of because her site crashes every update. Well I really wanted to knit Viajante [url] http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/viajante [/url] and honestly it was about as much for Wollmeise as anything that I wanted to knit it in, so I got a ball off destash.

Oh. My. God. It's only merino but I swear it *shimmers*. The color is that perfect shade of new leaves just budding on the tree... Well I get it now. I don't know if I will go through all that bidness to buy direct from the source, but if you find a color you like in destash (and I guess if you're a total yarn snob like me), just do it!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Sweet Georgia is having a spring cleaning sale tomorrow, both online and at their studio. I'm tempted to go there but I just bought a huge amount of yarn from Princess Animal's closing (including some Sweet Georgia stuff).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wow, they're only going to do that sale in person once. 75% off? Seconds for free? People are going to die.

I love Wollmeise too. The new site doesn't crash afaik, but things do sell out quickly. Not as quickly as they used to, though, which is crazy.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Hm, I've got some Sweet Georgia fiber samples sitting by the wheel for when I finish this endless lace project. They're really nice, so maybe...

MarsDragon posted:

I was horribly tempted by that too, but then I thought of the drat fleece I have sitting in my living room and closed the tab. I'm going to try not to buy anything until that's a sweater. (I'm going to fail)

drat YOU PAST ME

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
What... what is going on with that new subforum? I'm so confused. :(

stab stabby fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

stab stabby posted:

What... what is going on with that new subforum? I'm so confused. :(

Wow, that certainly is a... hmmmm

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
I am side-eyeing that sub-forum so hard right now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Imo go nuts and make it actually about knitting, other people already are and I think the reactions are gonna be pretty funny

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

What is the title of this sub forum- I want to go to there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

When the subforum closes in a week, we should ask for our own one again....ask nicely of course.