Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merz
Sep 20, 2006
Tell Me, What Is the Bane of Your Life
I am on Asura as Neuman. If someone can give me a pearl that would be sw8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
One last expansion, and the eventual dropping of PS2/Xbox support.

It's taken forever, but we're finally reaching the end of the road.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I guess I might resub soon so I can have one last hurrah on this game before SE pulls the plug on all the servers. :smith:

Never did finish WoTG or Alduin's storylines, should probably do that while I still can.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Well if the end is finally in sight I wonder if private servers will be able to many any real headway in the next couple years. Even the best ones currently have broken scripting and missions work only part of the time at best. Most of them don't even have any of the content past level the standard 75.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I may not currently play right now, but the thought of never being able to play a game I loved again is pretty awful. We all knew this would eventually happen going into it, but it never really sunk in. Imagine if Nintendo smashed every copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 and you could never play it again. I'm not used to books, movies and games getting lost forever. :( This game is (thankfully) not a part of my life anymore but I still have a ton of nostalgia for it.

Male of the Century posted:

Well if the end is finally in sight I wonder if private servers will be able to many any real headway in the next couple years. Even the best ones currently have broken scripting and missions work only part of the time at best. Most of them don't even have any of the content past level the standard 75.

IIRC most everything, including dialogue for story missions and the like is server side. So FFXI private servers are really, really basic and bugged and don't really come close to replicating the actual thing.

I wish when an MMO dies and the plug the plug on the servers, the devs would release the stuff necessary for you make a private server. We all know SE and they wouldn't ever do this, but it would be nice. :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

FYI, the servers are still going to be running "for the foreseeable future", we just won't be getting major updates (except mobile port?)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Well that is some weird news.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

FYI, the servers are still going to be running "for the foreseeable future", we just won't be getting major updates (except mobile port?)

Yeah but I can't imagine a lot of people playing when there isn't any new content. Hell, barely anybody plays now. They could probably reduce it to 1 server.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Well that is some weird news.

I dunno how this game could ever work on a cellphone, so I'm pretty sure that FFXI mobile has to be a new game. And I guess it's separate from Grandmasters? That said, mobile gaming is where it's at now in Japan. Consoles are near death. Mainstays like Capcom and Sega have really been struggling with console games and have shifted their focus onto mobile shovelware.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah but I can't imagine a lot of people playing when there isn't any new content. Hell, barely anybody plays now. They could probably reduce it to 1 server.

I dunno how this game could ever work on a cellphone, so I'm pretty sure that FFXI mobile has to be a new game. And I guess it's separate from Grandmasters? That said, mobile gaming is where it's at now in Japan. Consoles are near death. Mainstays like Capcom and Sega have really been struggling with console games and have shifted their focus onto mobile shovelware.

Nintendo just recently announced that they are allowing their IP to be used for cellphone games.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

So... server merger?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There was no mention of mergers or subscription fee changes, they only announced 2 different mobile games (a possible mobile port of 11 exclusive to japan at first, and a game set within vana'diel. Nobody seems to really know anything about either of these) and the free 3 part patch to wrap up all future content in a "greatest hits" type scenario pushed out as larger content patches that will culminate in November. The game will still exist, but is dropping PS2 and 360 support so they might be able to make inventories less infuriating. They will continue to put out "We changed PUP again" patches for the next 99999999999999999999999 years.

That is the extent to what was announced and if anyone says differently they are simply speculating at this point.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'm not quite sure they meant to say they will not make any content updates beyond the new scenario.

quote:

FINAL FANTASY XI’s major version updates will conclude with the November 2015 iteration, when Rhapsodies of Vana’diel is scheduled to reach its thrilling climax. We will, however, continue implementing ordinary version updates that focus on balance adjustments and bug fixes.

I think "major version updates" could have referred to the "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" updates specifically. Of course, they did say future updates would focus on balance adjustments and bug fixes. But they're dropping PS2 and 360 support AFTER everything is out. Why would they just end that money stream? Why even invest the time/money in improving the PC experience if they aren't introducing any new content? The dev team is not known for having an in-depth understanding of their own playerbase, but surely they realize it's the updates that keep people playing. If they didn't, then I can't imagine they would have put so much effort into them in the past. I don't know what to make of this, I just don't think this is the last bit of content we'll ever receive.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm not quite sure they meant to say they will not make any content updates beyond the new scenario.

I think "major version updates" could have referred to the "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" updates specifically. Of course, they did say future updates would focus on balance adjustments and bug fixes. But they're dropping PS2 and 360 support AFTER everything is out. Why would they just end that money stream? Why even invest the time/money in improving the PC experience if they aren't introducing any new content? The dev team is not known for having an in-depth understanding of their own playerbase, but surely they realize it's the updates that keep people playing. If they didn't, then I can't imagine they would have put so much effort into them in the past. I don't know what to make of this, I just don't think this is the last bit of content we'll ever receive.

Im more optimistically inclined to believe that rov is se's last hurrah with the game before handing it off to nexon, who will continue content updates with a focus on the mobile port.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Trotting out fan favorites for one last hurrah sure seems to be what they're going for. If they hand it off to nexon and they decide to come up with something later then that's cool, but everything they talked about was very much "After this we're hand's off".

See also: "We plan for this to be a grand conclusion to the FINAL FANTASY series' first MMORPG".

But hey at least this is cool!

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

Im more optimistically inclined to believe that rov is se's last hurrah with the game before handing it off to nexon, who will continue content updates with a focus on the mobile port.

I... huh. I don't know if I would call this "optimistic". On the other hand... idk. Maybe new blood would be good for development. In all honesty, this does make sense. There's no point in investing the rather large amount of money it would take to create a new client for mobile if they weren't ever going to release new content. Surely they realize how inaccessible the game is to new players.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Are we gonna like...meet Altana and punch her in the face? Cause I poo poo all over Promathia, I ain't scurred of no light lady.:madmax:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Shinjobi posted:

Are we gonna like...meet Altana and punch her in the face? Cause I poo poo all over Promathia, I ain't scurred of no light lady.:madmax:

Whatever happens in the end had better involve immolating Naja.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Trotting out fan favorites for one last hurrah sure seems to be what they're going for. If they hand it off to nexon and they decide to come up with something later then that's cool, but everything they talked about was very much "After this we're hand's off".

See also: "We plan for this to be a grand conclusion to the FINAL FANTASY series' first MMORPG".

But hey at least this is cool!

Who is that in the middle?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Who is that in the middle?

That is a new one, I think it is Altana.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Shinjobi posted:

Altana dies. Altana drops Impact Knuckles.

I need to check the private server stuff, but last I checked everything up to Zillart was working, and some jobs were still needing work.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Quetz Classic Joke Phagen is not taking the end of 360 support well/is one of the worst liars I've ever seen:

quote:

I have been playing ffxi since I moved into my first apt back when I was twenty one years old, I am now thirty, I have had three accounts that I pay for each month and I always pay my subscription fees on time.

13.99 x3 = 41.97 + a few mules = $50+ per month. 50x 12 = 600 per year x 9 = $5,400 on just subscription fee's. I realize that may not be a lot to a large corporation however I feel like paying for this game any longer knowing that they are going to shut it down on xbox 360 (and I primarily play ffxi on x2 xbox360 x1 laptop) is going to be a waste of money. I really don't want to have to buy x2 more laptops to play and I don't believe in third party programming. I went to sleep last night hoping that this press conference was going to talk about ffxi on mobile gaming or ps vita but i really wasn't expecting to end gameplay on xbox 360...

I mean how hard is it really to just create a ffxi-2 like you did with all the other final fantasy's?, release it on the next generation consoles, (steam / ps4 / mobile support / wii-u / xbox one) and then offer current ffxi players some incentive like (automatically become level 50 if you port your char and keep relic / mythic weapons) ect and start the ffxi experience over again on next generation systems for another 10+ years....

I really feel like i just wasted 5 thousand dollars and I could have bought something much more valuable with my money, and now i feel like a FOOL for wasting time and money on all these Xboxes (ive been thru like 6 box 360s playing ffxi and multiple game cd's) and paying for subscription fees from both xbox and playonline.

(you know the old saying, a fool and his money are soon parted)

How could you do this to me? Stop posting adds in magazines saying that SE is ballin out of control and they don't currently see an end to either of its mmorpgs (dragon quest, XIV XI) and then 4 months later tell me that its ending.

edit; why not just put the game out on the xbox one marketplace / psn network so that way the newer systems can play ffxi, then more ppl will have access to the game, after watching southparks episode of "console wars"((My University had History of South park as an elective) it can be assumed that a lot of people ran out and bought a next gen console since their release 2 years ago, and there are still little to none MMORPGS on their market places.
I feel that converting the product solely to Windows / tablets is a good idea in some ways, but imagine how long its going to take to download the game onto the tablet initially.... and even more so with games such as "game of war" always lagging and freezing up, its going to be soo annoying having to relog into playonline---->ffxi if its a bad connection day, which implies that these new apps might not have as much online capabilities, Though I have recently played a few MMMrpgs on the app store and I'm surprised at how much can actually run on a mobile phone, I have recentlyish learned (through being a google glass adventure beta tester and paying the 1500 for glass 2 years ago and being extremely dissatisfied with the product) that not everything is as good as it may appear and I can honestly forecast that ending the xbox360 / ps2 gameplay support and trying to replace it with mobile gaming is not going to satisfy xbox/ps2 users.

quote:

Because now I have to spend MORE money, and I already have an alien ware for gaming as well as 5 pcs that I use for gaming,my problem is now in order to play i have to spend more money to replace hardware as well, and when you multiple accounts on 1 device, the game runs significantly slower which is why I play on consoles primarily and not my towers. Not to mention that xboxs can't get viruses....

Believe me, over the last 10 years I have fully explored ways to play ffxi (from using my portable ps2 , to using my swivel/cinemin video projectors and playing it in my expedition SUV) the reason I'm not so happy about them taking away xbox support is because I have found it to be the best way for ME to play the game. The reason I bought all these devices was to play ffxi on a console, when I travel out of the country playing it on my very pricy Alienware (which I customized online and bought from the AW site specifically for ffxi) is more ideal however I enjoy xbox ffxi at home and It sucks I have to say goodbye to something that I still currently use on an everyday basis.

I literally have spent a lot of my earnings and stipends (I'm in entertainment) on enjoying ffxi as to the max, when I purchased my first house I made an arcade room where I could comfortably sit and play ffxi (as well as about 10 stand up arcade machines which mainly run on RAM/ROM) it sucks that I'm also going to have to modify my arcade room as well if I continue to play ffxi.

The other benefit to playing on xbox and NOT running all my chars on 1 system is when I have friends over , they can sit at a ffxi station in my arcade and play the game on xbox with me.

As I stated I have multiple gaming pcs and laptops and game copies so quickly acclimating myself to this change wouldn't take more than the version updates, however I have always found ffxi to be superior on a console due to the ability to not screw up ur laptop / tower. The more third party programs you install on ur PC the more risk u have to viruses which can't be fixed with antivirus software and it's tedious removing viruses.

Lastly, I usually move 2 chars at the same time (which is easy with practice since I play piano) so I prefer to have full access over my chars vs letting a program use them / alt tab, I've always been anti PC games and pro console games so I am heavily effected by this

My favorite way to play ffxi: 2 xbox controllers and 1 keyboard

TLDR: I spent $5000 on FFXI and now the game is ruined because I can't play on console (which is the superior way to play btw) and sure I could install the game on one of my dozens of gaming towers but I won't because FFXI gives your gaming PC a virus.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, how delusional can you possibly get??

Also, you have a YEAR to move to PC if for some reason you haven't yet. It's not like they're turning off the service tomorrow and deleting all your characters.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I've been listening to one of my lsmates cry because she doesn't have the "thousands and thousands of dollars you need for one of those gaming pcs".

I understand now why there's still a console market.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Zero The Hero posted:

I've been listening to one of my lsmates cry because she doesn't have the "thousands and thousands of dollars you need for one of those gaming pcs".

I understand now why there's still a console market.

It only costs thousands of dollars to get a brand new computer from a company that sells prebuilt computers at ridiculous rates. Nowadays, it has never been easier to build a computer. It can be a bit stressful if it is your first time, but you are saving hundreds maybe thousands of dollars.

P.S. I can't wait till I can play ffxi with my lovely cellphone.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
You can run FFXI on the $80 HP Stream 7 Windows 8 tablet. You can run it on the $150 Win8 super budget laptops and the $180 Stream Mini desktop box thingy. Christ, you could probably go to a pawn shop and get anything with a Core 2 Duo (or even an older AMD processor) for $100 or less and run this game.

quote:

Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
CPU: Intel® Pentium®III 800Mhz or faster processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ series with 32 MB or ATI® RADEON™ 9000 series
Sound Card: DirectX®8.1 compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 9.5 GB free hard disk space

Recommended
Operating System: Windows® 7
CPU: Intel® Pentium®4 processor
Memory: 256 MB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce FX™ series or GeForce 6 series
Sound Card: DirectX®8.1 compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 9.5 GB free hard disk space

There are dozens of brand new options that run this game that cost less than a new 360 ($200 if you want one with the HDD space to install XI) and if you already have an account you can get the Ultimate Edition download from Square free.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gruknor posted:

It only costs thousands of dollars to get a brand new computer from a company that sells prebuilt computers at ridiculous rates. Nowadays, it has never been easier to build a computer. It can be a bit stressful if it is your first time, but you are saving hundreds maybe thousands of dollars.

P.S. I can't wait till I can play ffxi with my lovely cellphone.

Trust me, that quote was not from me. I played FFXI in 2007 on a PC from 2003. FFXI runs on integrated graphics these days. I ran FFXI on an AMD Athlon X2. You could probably run it on netbooks.
The complainer in question actually has a laptop, I assume it would run FFXI flawlessly, but she assumes it wouldn't because it cost less than 3000 dollars.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

Trust me, that quote was not from me. I played FFXI in 2007 on a PC from 2003. FFXI runs on integrated graphics these days. I ran FFXI on an AMD Athlon X2. You could probably run it on netbooks.
The complainer in question actually has a laptop, I assume it would run FFXI flawlessly, but she assumes it wouldn't because it cost less than 3000 dollars.

I have a netbook that runs ffxi. For as comparatively pretty the game is, i would not be suprised in the least if the newest raspberry pi ran this poo poo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If it's the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen and your computer can't run this old rear end game, I dunno what the gently caress, man. I mean, they're making a drat cellphone version of it for godsakes.

Of course, I don't know how this game would be even close to remotely playable on a touchscreen. They were talking about maybe doing a PSP or Vita version years back and even then I figured it would be a nightmare to play on those. And they actually have buttons.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
I saw the news and was hit with a nostalgiabomb. I started playing FFXI when I was 16, right around the time of NA release. I played up through a few years of WotG and then got bored with nothing to do. I never saw Abyssea or the expansion that introduced ilvl. Is it worth it at this point to come back, or should I let my good memories lie?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Abyssea was cool as far as character progression goes, but the story was pretty much non-existent. Adoulin is possibly the most boring storyline and overall expansion they have added yet, even if it did bring about the new ilevel gear (which is really just their solution for not being to raise the level past 99 since the game is coded to work on a lite-bright). The entire story is all politics, and it doesn't even have any intrigue until about halfway through, and even still you have absolutely no idea what you're really up against until the final few missions. If you never even got through the story of WoG, and I wouldn't blame you since it took like 3 years for them to finish it, then you are much better off just having fond memories of the golden Zilart/CoP/Treasures era.

Kazy posted:

Hey, sorry, you're wrong :colbert: It was awesome to have a "What If" scenario where you lost against Promathia

That was a neat concept for the alternate dimension and on the whole I enjoyed Abyssea for the breath of fresh air it brought with the level cap raises and all the new gear with content being easily accessible by small groups, but on the whole they did nothing with the story and it's on par with Voidwatch with no sense of agency. You simply invade a world that has been destroyed and kill it's god to save what's left of this lovely existence. You are left in the dark about what happened or why until the very last minute, and even still everything is completely without any sort of urgency so why bother.

The biggest problem with it is that it was made obsolete with Seekers of Adoulin, like all the rest of the old content, but with those you could at least play through it to see some cool cutscenes and meet some interesting characters.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 20, 2015

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Abyssea was cool as far as character progression goes, but the story was pretty much non-existent. Adoulin is possibly the most boring storyline and overall expansion they have added yet, even if it did bring about the new ilevel gear (which is really just their solution for not being to raise the level past 99 since the game is coded to work on a lite-bright). The entire story is all politics, and it doesn't even have any intrigue until about halfway through, and even still you have absolutely no idea what you're really up against until the final few missions. If you never even got through the story of WoG, and I wouldn't blame you since it took like 3 years for them to finish it, then you are much better off just having fond memories of the golden Zilart/CoP/Treasures era.

Hey, sorry, you're wrong :colbert: It was awesome to have a "What If" scenario where you lost against Promathia

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
Even though Abyssea completely changed how people play the game, looking back I think it was the most fun my friend and I had in this game. We were able to duo almost everything once we were geared and collected enough Atmas/abyssites. The new endgame is alright, but timed events (that you can't extend) like Delve tend to add an element of unnecessary stress to everything.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Abyssea was the best. It's the most fun i've had in ages in the game. There was so much to do and you could do it all with just a couple close friends.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't release more content like it. It brought a ton of people back to the game and catered pretty well to both casual and end game players.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If I weren't for Abyssea I would have never even considered playing this game again after I ragequit it around ToAU's time and everyone who says Abyssea ruined FFXI by making it accessible to casual players who like to have lives outside of a video game is a self diagnosed aspergers basement dweller.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I'll be honest and say that the announcement the other day killed a lot of motivation I had for the game. I'm really on the fence if I should keep playing or not since it feels like after November, things will just taper off really fast. No more major content updates in my eyes is a roundabout way of saying the game is being shut down but with a long drawn out end. I dunno, maybe Vagary or w/e will be really good and worth messing around with for a bit.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I've been playing on and off since launch. I just need to hit 99 once and then I can let go. :negative:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

If I weren't for Abyssea I would have never even considered playing this game again after I ragequit it around ToAU's time and everyone who says Abyssea ruined FFXI by making it accessible to casual players who like to have lives outside of a video game is a self diagnosed aspergers basement dweller.

Abyssea did kill the game, in many ways. But the way I saw it... you had several years to play Zilart/CoP/ToAU. If you hadn't played in XI's endgame for the first several years, you weren't likely to start now. They broke the game to make it fresh for all the regular players. There was a very small percentage of XI players that got caught in between, ones who were making an honest attempt at playing endgame, but got into it late or had to take a break and just hadn't had the time yet. SE catered to the vast majority in this case. Many of the people in that group claim they liked old XI more, but I think a lot of those would have quit a long time ago without something like Abyssea anyway.

The only thing I'm salty about is the CoP level caps. They could have at least kept the OPTION to play through capped. I don't even need any better mission rewards(though that would have been easy), just a star or something by the mission in my log so I can prove I did it. Sea was XI's most beautiful and scary zone, and those two qualities were tied fairly closely together. Now Sea is a walk in the park, and you blow through it so quickly it barely gets more than a "Hey, this is kind of neat."

Sea is my single most treasured experience in all of XI, but there were many others that came close, and in most cases, it was dependent on difficulty. It's not just nostalgia. I hope that one day private servers are good enough that someone is able to recreate Zilart and CoP in easily-digestable chunks, where you can get on skype with your friends and play through missions as easily as forming parties in mobas, but in reality I don't think I'll ever have a gaming experience quite like the early days of XI.

tl;dr It's possible to both enjoy the new changes and improvements while missing the highlights of the old days.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Cuchulain posted:

I've been playing on and off since launch. I just need to hit 99 once and then I can let go. :negative:

I has never been easier to get to level 99. With Records of Eminence, Sparks weapons, brown chests dropping armor, potions, elixirs, etc, and being able to summon three Trust npcs, you can easily get to level 99 solo without having to abyssea burn it. The best thing about that is your skills will be closer to cap than if you had abyssea burned it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The game may be dying, but I'll be damned if I stop paying money for merch that comes with in-game items!

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
I guess that is what FFXI has become, taking pictures of your giant pen. How is the Quetzalcoatl server? I left it when it was afk city as far as the eyes could see.