Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm so tired of this game's hosed up weapon prioritizing. Things that would have been better than the current system:

1. The weapon that's closest to you
2. The weapon you have your cursor over
3. Literally anything

I can no longer count the number of times I have been hosed over by the game giving me a melee weapon when I wanted the gun that is sitting closer, on top of, or far apart from the big stack of melee weapons I'm trying not to grab.

edit: Also, empty guns not being absolute bottom of the barrel priority in all cases is just rude.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
I had a moment yesterday when a henchman ran up to me with an uzi and then just stood there. When I initially saw him, I knew it was way too late to live but i tried turning around to smash him anyway. To my surprise, he didn't move an inch and kindly let me bash his brains in, all because he had the smarts to grab an empty gun off the ground.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

a cat irl posted:

I had a moment yesterday when a henchman ran up to me with an uzi and then just stood there. When I initially saw him, I knew it was way too late to live but i tried turning around to smash him anyway. To my surprise, he didn't move an inch and kindly let me bash his brains in, all because he had the smarts to grab an empty gun off the ground.

If you disarm a regular mafia dude and there's no weapons for him to pick up, they just sorta hang out. Wouldn't they punch you in the first game?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If you disarm a regular mafia dude and there's no weapons for him to pick up, they just sorta hang out. Wouldn't they punch you in the first game?

No, I think they do like in HLM2, they get that "Back away while afraid" AI, I'm pretty sure.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Roller Mobster is this game's Miami Disco y/n

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

For me, it's toss-up between like seven tracks. Le Perv (Prison) is amazing, Run (Subway) is amazing, and so many more, but one thing for sure is that Roller Mobster alone is more intense than any track from Hotline 1. Roller Mobster's in the top 3 for me tho.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'd have to say the best intense tracks are Acid Spit, Roller Mobster, Le Perv, Run, and Slum Lord, in that order.

The best chill tracks are definitely Blizzard and She Meditates, although She Swallowed Burning Coals isn't bad.

Voyager, to me, kinda straddles that line between being chill and still having that pounding beat that almost seems permanently associated with that Hotline Miami "gogogorushkilleveryone" style of gameplay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

I wanna know what this game's Crystals and Hydrogen are. Kinda chill songs to drive at night and maybe a bit too fast to. HM2 has The Way Home and the title song and those are amazing, but got a lot of weight to em. Less chill dance beats, more hot murdering beats this time around.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, empty guns not being absolute bottom of the barrel priority in all cases is just rude.

This one in particular galls me, since there is essentially zero reason to ever pick up an empty gun when one with bullets is an option. For a game that lives or dies on the frenzied action leaving in something like that, which is almost guaranteed to shatter the flow, is just awful.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Moltrey posted:

I wanna know what this game's Crystals and Hydrogen are. Kinda chill songs to drive at night and maybe a bit too fast to. HM2 has The Way Home and the title song and those are amazing, but got a lot of weight to em. Less chill dance beats, more hot murdering beats this time around.

Hotline Theme, or whatever the song that plays on Stronghold is called, is hands down the chillest music to murder people to in the series.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Moltrey posted:

Magna - Divide

I think this track fits your bill pretty well.

Edit: Soundtrack is fan-loving-tastic. Only a few of songs I skip, most are winners (considering it has 49 base songs and 5 or 6 remixes that's pretty good).

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Eaten by Tigers posted:

Hotline Theme, or whatever the song that plays on Stronghold is called, is hands down the chillest music to murder people to in the series.

Yeah thats the hotline theme by benny smiles. I play that a ton while driving at dusk. The way home by magic sword is also chill. Incidentally, that's the music for the next soldier mission.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

I'd have to say the best intense tracks are Acid Spit, Roller Mobster, Le Perv, Run, and Slum Lord, in that order.

The best chill tracks are definitely Blizzard and She Meditates, although She Swallowed Burning Coals isn't bad.

Voyager, to me, kinda straddles that line between being chill and still having that pounding beat that almost seems permanently associated with that Hotline Miami "gogogorushkilleveryone" style of gameplay.

Those are all amazing (And Roller Mobster in particular is a favorite of mine) but you're leaving out the chillest track of them all, In the face of evil.

Blizzard is chill as gently caress though yeah.

Moltrey posted:

In the face of evil is as good as driving music gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5snZTfoEA

Not responsible for if you end up speeding.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Listening to a playlist of the tracks as they're ordered on the vinyl edition of the soundtrack, and man they really picked a good mix. The songs all kind of seamlessly flow together, from chill and somber one minute to pulse-pounding the next. I can't loving wait for my second pressing to get here :getin:

My hi-fi stereo receiver even has an old-school 80's cassette recorder so I can make my own mix cassettes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

King Vidiot posted:

Listening to a playlist of the tracks as they're ordered on the vinyl edition of the soundtrack, and man they really picked a good mix. The songs all kind of seamlessly flow together, from chill and somber one minute to pulse-pounding the next. I can't loving wait for my second pressing to get here :getin:

My hi-fi stereo receiver even has an old-school 80's cassette recorder so I can make my own mix cassettes.

Having a colored vinyl with Richard's mug on it makes me so very happy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Way Home, Run and Roller Mobster are my top 3 tracks by far.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No love for Sexualizer here?

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Probably my favourite moment in the entire game is when Roller Mobster kicks in. It's timed so perfectly with when you're likely to start shooting.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Stargate posted:

Probably my favourite moment in the entire game is when Roller Mobster kicks in. It's timed so perfectly with when you're likely to start shooting.

Carpenter Brut is now on my radar because of that song. His music kicks some mean rear end.

But ya, that track is perfect for that level.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Roller Mobster really could've been looped better, I don't want downtime in my murder spree ! :argh:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I felt I was letting Roller Mobster down by constantly dying and having it loop

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
Roller Mobster SOTY

I just couldn't get a flow going in the Corey section of Death Wish, but it worked really well for the Mark/Tony parts.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I just made it to the first Hawaii mission. It was... okay? I thought the hardest so far was the level where you have to be the Tiger, but it was kind of cool getting into a huge brawl with all the people with melee weapons. I got like a x9 combo in the first room from punching everyone. It was awesome.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Firstborn posted:

I just made it to the first Hawaii mission. It was... okay? I thought the hardest so far was the level where you have to be the Tiger, but it was kind of cool getting into a huge brawl with all the people with melee weapons. I got like a x9 combo in the first room from punching everyone. It was awesome.

The first Hawaii mission should be before the level where you have to be The Tiger.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I only mentioned it because someone said the Hawaii missions were bad. So far they are okay. Sorry I don't know the masks by name.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

A lot of people have different opinions on the levels, and sometimes those change over time. I actually strongly disliked my first time through Act 5 and would've called it the lowest point of the game if someone asked me then, but I've come to appreciate it upon returning.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I only mentioned it because someone said the Hawaii missions were bad. So far they are okay. Sorry I don't know the masks by name.

I like the Hawaii missions but the last one opens with a very wide open space

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finished this last night and I have to thank the couple people who endlessly poo poo-talked the game the first couple days it was out. It really set me up to be disappointed and HLM2 ended up actually really pleasing me. The soundtrack was awesome, that doesn't need to be said. I really enjoyed the evolution from HLM1 to HLM2. The game was larger in scope and offered more interesting things to do than just repeat the same exact style with a handful of masks. Cuz let's face it, if given the option, I would have played as Chainsaw/Gun or Killer Fists for like 99% of the levels. Having to use dual wield Mark or non-lethal Evan was something I wouldn't normally have chosen but ended up being a lot of fun. It IS an oversight that you can't rerun levels with unlocked characters after it's all over, but it's a small annoyance. The story was cuckoo-bananas, but it worked for me. And that last level... oof.

I gotta say though, I think I may have enjoyed it more than some because I was never great at HLM1, so every level felt like a puzzle with one right answer. I never improvised all that well. Many levels in HLM1 I felt like I just barely nailed down the "right" answer. So, HLM2 was hard as balls for me, but the One True Path wasn't a deviation from how I played the original. I loved figuring out some of the murder puzzles, like the Richter hallway with the patroling shotgun/fatty duo. Some of the control was a little wonky and some things were a little buggy for me, but nothing game breaking. Even when the controls wigged out or I got killed by an invincible spinning door ghost, I lost, at best, a couple minutes of play time.

HLM2 just really clicked for me and I am very very happy with it. And I am salivating over the upcoming level editor. That's going to be a lot of fun. I do hope there are extra masks or playable character abilities that will be available with the full editor. I also can't wait for the incoming dick levels where Son's Ghost Tiger comes out of nowhere in a seedy motel or something.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the Hawaii missions but the last one opens with a very wide open space

Gotta bring that sniper rifle, it's the best. (Outside of the next weapon)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

None of the levels really stick in my brain as particularly vexing. Not to say that they were easy or I breezed through them - the opposite. But I never really felt upset by a level.

It's just a process, everything in it is a process, die, refine, attempt, die, refine, attempt. And you do it so fast that it doesn't really feel like you 'died' in a traditional game sense to me, it's just part of advancing. The music keeps you going in over and over and honing a tactic or approach. That's what feels really engrossing about the game. But there's no part of the game where I felt like 'gosh, this is just awful, horrible'. Like I never even remotely approached dismay. It's a puzzle game, and you're working on the solution.

edit: I didn't find anything in HLM2 remotely as frustrating as trying to unravel the Mob Boss/Bodyguard/Panther fight in HLM1. That thing felt like such a pain. And so precise/closed off decision wise that it was basically like a quick time event with finesse - there was one thing to do and you had to do it in exactly the right way.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 19, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The third screen on Casualties hard mode is a war crime in itself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

edit: I didn't find anything in HLM2 remotely as frustrating as trying to unravel the Mob Boss/Bodyguard/Panther fight in HLM1. That thing felt like such a pain. And so precise/closed off decision wise that it was basically like a quick time event with finesse - there was one thing to do and you had to do it in exactly the right way.

The prisonyard fight was pretty drat similar, but yeah, HM1's was pretty much 3 of those fights in a row which was just stupid.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Aw poo poo, thanks guys. Making a playlist with these and similar stuff from HM1.

Also, I made the big drop in Roller Mobster my alarm noise and ho boy is waking up something now. I hope it doesn't spiral back to me hating Roller Mobster though...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Moltrey posted:

Also, I made the big drop in Roller Mobster my alarm noise and ho boy is waking up something now. I hope it doesn't spiral back to me hating Roller Mobster though...

Better song from the OST to annoy the piss out of you to wake up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZscWm5Ecqw

Also if you hate this song after a few weeks, who cares. Roller Mobsters though would be a shame to hate.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Voyager is really nice to wake up to !

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mesadoram posted:

Better song from the OST to annoy the piss out of you to wake up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZscWm5Ecqw

Also if you hate this song after a few weeks, who cares. Roller Mobsters though would be a shame to hate.
I hate that I skip this track if I ever have the soundtrack on shuffle. It's a fine song, but it's becomed tethered to the scene of Talk Show Host Intro that I don't really...wanna hear it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Moltrey posted:

I hate that I skip this track if I ever have the soundtrack on shuffle. It's a fine song, but it's becomed tethered to the scene of Talk Show Host Intro that I don't really...wanna hear it.

Which makes it perfect as an alarm.

Put that alarm clock across the room and will be sprinting out of bed to turn it off!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Everybody knows the ultimate alarm sound is the sound your dog makes right before they are about to barf. I promise nothing will get you up and moving faster than that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe it's just me, the game feels a lot better when you replay the levels after completing the game. I'm going through the achievements right now before I try Hard mode, and everything's clicking a lot better than it was the first time. I'm getting B's or the rare A instead of C's or D's on nearly everything. It could be the lack of pressure to finish the game, could be the fact that I'm used to the levels and characters, or both, but whatever the case it's a lot more chill and fun the second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mesadoram posted:

Which makes it perfect as an alarm.

Put that alarm clock across the room and will be sprinting out of bed to turn it off!
Very true. With Roller Mobster, at least waking up has some fun bits to it. Alarms are tricky. I had the Majora's Mask clock tower bells as an alarm for a while, but goddamn did I grow to hate that

Parachute posted:

Everybody knows the ultimate alarm sound is the sound your dog makes right before they are about to barf. I promise nothing will get you up and moving faster than that.
This and the face my dogs makes before he vomits are some of the best things to get me yelling "oh poo poo"

• Locked thread