Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

xthetenth posted:

A bigger number multiplied by zero is still zero, and if armor works right, that's no chance of getting citadel hits you have if the thick armor haver is driving their ship right. Also the rng still isn't as big as the difficulty of getting salvoes into the right spot. It's a numbers game through and through, and the one with the odds on their side tends to win.

Only that there is no proper armor mechanic present in the game so far. I doubt that the game will even follow the simple math for immunity zones. The game is fun, but I seriously doubt that we ever remotely get a War Thunder level of ballistics. Currently it's just "Shoot hit boxes and then shoot them some more".

Vengarr posted:

They'll just give Bismarck torpedoes to make up for it.

Seriously.

Wasn't the reasoning behind this that the Bismarck should have been a commerce raider and could save it's precious 15" shells by sinking disabled merchants with torps ?? That whole idea of having a huge ship which guzzled a ton of oil function as a raider was so :hitler:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hammerstein posted:

Only that there is no proper armor mechanic present in the game so far. I doubt that the game will even follow the simple math for immunity zones. The game is fun, but I seriously doubt that we ever remotely get a War Thunder level of ballistics. Currently it's just "Shoot hit boxes and then shoot them some more".

I've sat down and tabulated firing on ships in a practice room before. The only way the results are explainable is if there's an armor model. Cruisers vs battleships are good for illustrating that against citadel hits an immune zone is a very real thing. Ships that show flat sides can be citadel hit at ranges where ones that are angled can't. It's a pretty clear order of deck pen, immune zone, belt pen, immune zone. This patch has seemed a bit weird so maybe that's obscuring it but fighting as if its modeled how they say its modeled has given results as if it was modeled. No we don't have War thunder modeling, it's broken down into larger roughly similar chunks, but if anything that reduces the randomness of tiny differences smaller than the margin of error having huge differences.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, I might need to pick that up since I keep having to dodge torps all game.

Slightly related:

I might need to work on my ship skinning a bit. :downs:

Looks like their advertising model has changed a bit.

I can see where this would help new players so they don't panic.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Made it to Tier 6 IJN destroyers before I couldn't anymore. Pretty much surface submarines as the guns are useless unless you're not turning at all and moving at 5 knots.

Starting to go down the USN destroyer path, might be better. I realized that after that many games on a destroyer, high range torps are pretty much useless vs. anyone competent, and that if you're channel mining it's pretty much down to luck and not fun since it's a 1:20 reload time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The US destroyer guns are good enough that you can still do meaningful damage to pretty much anything you fight while your torps are reloading, or if you're in a bad position to torpedo. I had a game yesterday where I sunk an enemy battleship with a load of torpedoes and then went on to add my weight of fire against two enemy cruisers and got kills on both of them as they moved away from our team.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I usually get good results in a DD when I stick with the main battle line. See where the majority of pubbie BBs will go and attach to them. Most of the time you will be ignored if there's a CL or BB to shoot at. Also don't underestimate the range of DD guns and especially their accuracy, I get a lot of crits with Japanese guns and I can only imagine that US DDs will be even better.

You get the best results when facing a "brave" team which moves towards your BB blob, which makes torping from max range very rewarding when the players who focus on your team's capital ships are in zoom mode or get hunting fever. In alpha I adapted to this playstyle after tier V-VI, because it was no longer possible to do the insane solo tricks that you can do with a DD on low tiers.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 19, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

1 Fuso, 1 Miyogi, 2x Omahas and a Cleveland :mmmhmm:

The Cleveland is a god drat beast

Too bad you can't stop idiots on your team from driving in one end of the cap and out of the other because they'd rather draw and maybe get a kill than just win. Sure I'll cross the map to stop a cap in our base and kill a Fuso, an Omaha, and a Cleveland along the way but god forbid you just hit the loving brakes on your battleship while you're in the enemy cap so we can win.

Hammerstein posted:

I usually get good results in a DD when I stick with the main battle line.

Pro Tip: Do this in every ship: profit

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
DD tricks, either surprise people completely (Not possible in some maps), or travel directly towards them. It's very hard for a battleship to land a citadel hit when a destroyer is bow on. You can then pop smoke at close range, launch torps, and escape the secondaries.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
I really hope they expand the ship classes ones day.

Frigates teheee 2km detection range, 2 torpedoes, can scout, super small profile etc :chanpop:

probably a horrible idea

I'm also looking forward to seeing how they differ the different countries. I mean in thanks they have autoloaders and stuff, but I don't see big distinctions in ships between countries

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

1 Fuso, 1 Miyogi, 2x Omahas and a Cleveland :mmmhmm:

The Cleveland is a god drat beast

Too bad you can't stop idiots on your team from driving in one end of the cap and out of the other because they'd rather draw and maybe get a kill than just win. Sure I'll cross the map to stop a cap in our base and kill a Fuso, an Omaha, and a Cleveland along the way but god forbid you just hit the loving brakes on your battleship while you're in the enemy cap so we can win.

Pro Tip: Do this in every ship: profit

nice graffiti ship

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah well that's one of your precious Clevelands being sunk by a Nagato on the login screen :colbert:

SuperSix posted:

Frigates teheee 2km detection range, 2 torpedoes, can scout, super small profile etc :chanpop:

probably a horrible idea

There's even less of a place in the game for Frigates than there is for Destroyers, without putting Submarines in as well - Frigates didn't have torpedoes, just very light artillery, some useful AA and depth charges.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 19, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cigarette boats that go 60kph, have 1 hit point, and 2 torpedoes.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
Can AP start fires at all? Not sure if it's better for me to just shoot straight AP all day or use HE to start fires and burn kits before switching to AP

srb
Jul 24, 2007

TheFluff posted:

The research for a Swedish branch has already begun. Implementation in 2020, maybe? (no ships above ~9000 tons deplacement, no aircraft carriers - it's destroyers and "pocket battlecruisers" all the way down)

I hope they go with the Finnish and Danish and Norwegian ships too, we could have a franken-tree of coastal battleships with pre-dreadnought gun layouts, modern light cruisers and modern destroyers together with some ancient protected cruisers.

Still, pansarskepp best skepp:

"When they arrived at Spithead the ships were praised for their beautiful lines. Many officers who had experience from the waters of the Baltics remarked that the ships were perfect for that environment. It is said that someone commented on the looks of the ships in the following manner: "Finland must be a strong sea power, even their lightships are armed with 10-inch guns." :black101:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I just drove right up to an enemy fuso who wasn't moving, hit him with every torpedo I had and sunk him, and then pointed out that not moving is a really bad idea after he bitched in chat about his team leaving him exposed.

He then starts going on about how he was totally trying to turn his ship and was moving from half speed to full to turn even though i didn't have to lead my torpedoes at all.

Denial is pretty hilarious.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The amount of people who sit still or try to peak and poke will never not be funny to me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

xthetenth posted:

I've sat down and tabulated firing on ships in a practice room before. The only way the results are explainable is if there's an armor model. Cruisers vs battleships are good for illustrating that against citadel hits an immune zone is a very real thing. Ships that show flat sides can be citadel hit at ranges where ones that are angled can't. It's a pretty clear order of deck pen, immune zone, belt pen, immune zone. This patch has seemed a bit weird so maybe that's obscuring it but fighting as if its modeled how they say its modeled has given results as if it was modeled. No we don't have War thunder modeling, it's broken down into larger roughly similar chunks, but if anything that reduces the randomness of tiny differences smaller than the margin of error having huge differences.

They had some blog posts about armour early on, for example:
http://blog.worldofwarships.com/awaiting-alpha-how-to-pierce-the-armor-2/

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Sidescraping in a battleship is something that can happen by luck (or deliberately if you're stupid and give up all your momentum). During one of the CBT weekends I accidentally rammed into an island in such a way that, until they came around, the enemy could only really had shots at the side of my Fuso at a rather extreme angle. They weren't able to get citadel pens (keep in mind shells that don't pen the citadel will still do a small amount of damage) until they came around to get cleaner shots. I was a sitting duck though.

I think you might be able to ricochet shells off exposed thick armour for zero damage but it would require more testing and some luck. Immunity zones are definitely real, though the RNG on shell penetration and just luck of where the shell hits on the citadel can confuse the issue.

The game definitely has penetration mechanics, though unlike WoT you can't just ignore the range of the shot when thinking about penetration.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
In my haste to go help a BB being hounded by torpedo bombers, I completely forgot that IJN Destroyers have just as much AA batteries as a 10 year old holding a nerf gun. :downsbravo:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
All this talk about Cleveland platoons makes me nervous it'll get 'the treatment' before I get a chance to play WoWS.
After watching a couple streams, it appears to be the only interesting/fun ship outside of destroyer antics.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Well the Cleveland is not a battleship but people still enjoy playing it so yeah, it's getting nerfed.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Weird. I can't see any of that from my Euro IP and I find no patch info on the EU site, mind to copy&paste it here please ?

Server Stop: Thursday, March 19 at 05:00 PDT (08:00 EDT)
Server Start: Thursday, March 19 at 06:30 PDT (09:30 EDT)

Update Notes

Fixed an error causing ships' guns to rotate during the battle countdown timer
Disabled the ability to target/lock guns during the battle countdown timer
Optimized various visual effects
Fixed an error causing a black screen when disabling full-screen mode or restarting the client
Fixed an error causing the client to crash when a disconnect occurred due to a pop-up window
Fixed an error that froze the game on the queue window if the chat window was moved while loading into a battle
Fixed an error that caused ships to teleport when the speed was set during the countdown timer
Decreased the amount of time it takes to deploy smokescreens and their duration for the Iwaki
Increased visibility while within a smokescreen by one kilometer
Added a limit of one aircraft carrier per squad
Added a new loading screen background
Fixed an error in the Polish localization that caused a portion of the Team Lineup tab to be cut-off
Added official chat channels for each region
Fixed an error causing mission reward totals to cover the description of the mission itself
Fixed an error causing multiple dismantling prices to be displayed in a single dialogue window
Commander perk icons should now display correctly
Fixed an incorrect icon in the hint for the Domination battle mode
Fixed an error causing the carousel to appear when accessing the Research tab
Links should now be working on the login screen
Fixed an error causing the minimap to change position and throw off the grid alignment while loading into battle
Removed the icon for "Convoyed ship" in the Help window
Fixed an error causing airplanes to display full ammo, even when they were empty, after reconnecting
Fixed an error causing a blinking order indicator for aircraft carriers upon reconnecting
Fixed an error causing a "new" indicator to appear even when the element is not new
Added the missing ship icon that was missing from the hint window at the start of battle
The free XP total now displays updated information when looking to convert XP (did not previously show updated total)
Free XP details are now shown with a x1.5 modifier
Fixed an error causing compression of a ship's image in the dialogue boxes during purchase
Fixed an error causing the scout icon and the scout aircraft to become disconnected during takeoff from a catapult
Fixed an issue with the system messages that appear for Premium time

Known Issues

Login Screen / Port / Chat

Passwords saved for the login screen may become incorrect and must be entered again
Logging into the game client with a a name featuring non-Latin characters is not possible
The message detailing information for the queue is not translated
The Heavy Damage mission may be accomplished with less than the required 20,000 points of damage
Characteristics and parameters of ships do not update even after researching new modules or upgrading crew
Information regarding Premium Account expiration may not display
If screen resolution is 1366x768 or less, the list of available modules for a ship may be displaced from the module slot
For some screen resolutions, selection arrows overlap module prices while in Port
Virtual tour for Primary Armament modules on USS Phoenix are missing
The even multiplier (x1.5) may inadvertently be applied even after a defeat. it may also remain active after the first victory
Issue causing the selected ship to be replaced with a different ship when entering battle. Restarting the client may solve the problem
Even with an adequate population in the queue, it's still for the matchmaker to form incomplete teams
If a player has sold all the ships for a particular nation, commanders may not be displayed in the Reserve
When switching between ships, incorrect pricing for module research or module purchase may be displayed
Some Japanese ships may have the wrong type of torpedo tubes listed in their parameters
AA guns on some of the ships may be displayed incorrectly while in Port
System messages may sometimes overlap each other
User statuses may be displayed incorrectly in the heading of a private chat
Usernames of players found through Search in the chat may not be displayed
Chat channels may not work properly
Right after the battle, chat history may not be displayed in the private channel
Messages in the private channel flicker after a player has left the battle
Division chat history is not saved after a player has left the battle
Names of primary armament modules and their performance characteristics may not match on some ships
Arrows for selecting ships in port may display on the Tech Tree
Aircraft are incorrectly placed on Lexington's deck
The entry field on the Exchange Piasters screen has not length limit
Chat channels messages may not be visible for some users, even if other players are able to see them
Chat channels are deleted when the wrong password is entered in the chat channel password entry window
It may be impossible to create a chat contacts group with the same name if it has been previously deleted
Punctuation mistakes are possible in chat groups creation explanation
Separate battle tasks timers sometimes overlap other battle tasks

Battle / Maps / Modes

Visual defects may appear when viewing remote landscape elements
Unequal teams may be formed while playing in a Division or during long wait times for random battles
The description for Domination mode that appears during the battle loading screen is incomplete
When matchmaking a Division consisting of a tier I and a tier X in Co-op battles, the balance is based upon the lowest tier
Sunlight may be seen in the shade of icebergs on the islands of the Ice map
Ships may not display at all during battle. Restarting the game client typically solves the issue
The Battle! button and game tips may appear simultaneously on the map loading screen
Ships' icon can sometimes go beyond the minimap limits in the Big Race loading screen
On some maps it's possible to hit an invisible barrier while moving around
On some maps it's possible to fall inside the terrain
It's sometimes happens that ship sinking animation does not trigger if they're sunk near an island
Ship icons are sometimes displayed in the corner of the minimap during loading screens
On low graphics settings there are reflections of islands and landscapes, even though they shouldn't be enabled
On the North map islands may look incorrect when the level of detail is set to low

Ships

Torpedo tubes may sometimes touch or cross into the ship's superstructure on certain ships
AI controlled ships in Co-op battles may sometimes run into islands and then need to reverse
There are some issues surrounding the level of detail when switching between low and medium settings
Ships sometimes 'twitch' when using the zoomed in binocular view
The camera sometimes goes through the ship when watching the rest of the battle in Spectator Mode
Turrets sometimes appear to face away from their target when watching the rest of the battle in Spectator Mode
Ships sometimes may appear to move 'jerkily'
The propeller on some ships may appear to be spinning while in Port
Ships may not move smoothly when turning
Autopilot may run a ship aground
Ships can sometimes appear to be floating in the air above the water when using low graphics settings
Tail wheels for fighter planes do not touch the deck aboard USS Independence
Torpedo tubes appear loaded during the pre-battle countdown, but after the battle starts, the loaded torpedoes disappear
The bottom of some ships may be visible when they rock in Port
The collision alert does not work when ships move in reverse
Certain video controllers and drivers can cause a full screen artifact
After a ship is destroyed, it can sometimes appear that the ship's guns are moving strangely
When using a smaller ship and in Binocular view, being hit by enemy fire can cause a very large jolt and camera shake

Aircraft

A recon aircraft model remains on the ship's catapult even if all recon planes have been launched
Aircraft sometimes dive under water or fly through terrain objects
When preparing air squadrons, the take-off sequence may be disrupted
Aircraft attack vector may not function properly if set too close to the map border
It may be possible to use an air squadron that was not registered in flight control
Air groups may sometimes appear to have an increased hit point bar
Air attack sight may sometimes disappear partially or completely
An island's shadows are sometimes displayed on aircraft even when they're flying above them
Fighters' ammunition may be displayed incorrectly
After reconnecting to a game, aircraft may appear to have full ammunition even when they don't
When an air squadrons' icons are displayed on the minimap for the first time, they may be shown in A1, regardless of where they actually are

Graphics

Visual effects may disappear when rotating the camera
Primary armament firing effects may loop or continue to play when switching from Binocular view to third-person view right after the shot is fired
Water surfaces may 'jump' or 'shiver' at long and medium distances
Shell tracers sometimes appear much too large
When rotating the camera a ships' shadow may disappear
Smokescreen visual effects may not appear at all
Damage effects may sometimes spontaneously appear fater a ship is destroyed
Tracers of secondary armaments may sometimes look like primary armament tracers
When firing through a smokescreen and using the shell-chase camera, it may trigger a sequence that makes it appear as if the ship were firing from inside the smokescreen
The smokescreen effect may sometimes incorrectly appear to be floating above the surface of the water
Explosion effects may sometimes display incorrectly. Pieces of terrain may be appear to be affected even if the explosion takes place in the sea
When pointing the camera at the sun, the glare effect may display incorrectly on certain combinations of graphics cards and their drivers
Bow wave effects sometimes appear too far in front of the ship
Reflections can suddenly 'pop' when approaching ice fixtures
Shot flare reflections can sometimes be seen in unexpected places on the North map
Some ship visual effects can be displayed incorrectly when a ship is in the very corner of a map

Music and Sound

Notification when destroying an enemy ship may sometimes be delayed
Voice messages may interrupt one another if sever events happen simultaneously
Sounds of weapon fire, engine, turret turning, torpedo tubes, and AA guns may be mission for certain ships
The sound of turning torpedo tubes on Fubuki may be very loud

User Interface / Minimap / Settings

Interface elements may duplicate multiple times. The issue appears most often with ATI graphics cards
The consumable icons are designated with the "N" character when assigning hotkeys to numerical keys
A number of small issues in pop-up and system messages
Commanders have the same names in Russian
Full-screen mode and active monitor settings may work incorrectly
The actual received damage and the value shown on the floating icon may differ. As a result, ships with zero hit points in the interface may still be active in the battle
If an enemy shell explodes near the ship, the word "text" may appear instead of the correct message
Primary armament on some ships' HUD may be displayed beyond the outline of the miniature
Modules in the module research interface may disappear when a ship is loading
Icons and names for HE and AP shells may not match the keys in the control settings
Torpedo spread cones may look distorted and ragged when aiming at terrain
When the camera rotates with the angle or sector locked, the horizontal vector may go beyond the vertical vector
When adjusting settings of the Collision Alert system, the Apply button is not active
The Tactical Map may be displayed on the background of the battle results
The view cone and the primary armament firing range may be incorrectly displayed on the minimap
When playing in Division A, statistics accessed with the Tab key may show an incorrect battle type
Torpedo aiming sight may overlay some elements of the ship
Sometimes the post-battle stats can be displayed twice
A negative time indicator can be displayed for consumables when reconnecting to a battle
When accessing the stats with Tab, it's possible that islands and ship icons may not be displayed
The Port interface may sometimes overlay the battle interface while in battle
With small resolution settings (1280x720) chat messages may overlay the control panel
The post-battle stats may sometimes incorrectly feature large font
Interface elements that can be adjusted by the player are sometimes not remembered in the Settings

System

The game client sometimes cannot return to full-screen mode after switching back to the client with Alt+Tab
When returning from a game crash, the current ship may be blocked in the Port even after the battle is over, and any attempt to start a new battle results in endless loading. Requires a client restart
The game client will sometimes crash after seven or eight battles on PCs using Windows XP. Requires a client restart
Players may lose control of the Port camera after purchasing Premium Account time. Requires a client restart
Ships can sometimes appear 'inside out' with certain combinations of graphics cards and drivers
Interface elements may be distorted when using certain AMD graphics cards
If a computer has multi-display configurations like Surround (nVidia) or Eyefinity (AMD), all settings in the Options menu may become inoperative
The wrong color icon (red) may appear for a team kill in the battle results window
If a player exits a battle, their ship may remain in the battle for a long period of time
Memory leaks may appear in Port. The game client may crash after being inactive in Port for an extended period of time
After disabling full-screen mode the display may go black. Requires Alt+Enter to correct the matter
It is sometimes impossible to reconnect if disconnected during a Squad battle

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I had a bug today while switching between ships on the module screen, suddenly the fire control upgrade on my new tier 4 IJN Destroyer only cost 1xp to research and when fit would upgrade my fire control, and replace my torpedo launcher with the launcher from the Phoenix cruiser, giving all the rating + and - for both.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 19, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
"AI controlled ships in Co-op battles may sometimes run into islands and then need to reverse."

Um....pubbies do this all the time.

Also, two buffs that I think need to happen are more smoke for DDs and carriers should be able to unlock the next tier's planes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I feel like carriers in general should just get more squadrons. Keep the number of TB/DB squads low, but give them a lot more fighters or make DBs more multi role. Just give them more poo poo to manage, make the first part of the game about dueling out air-superiority while keeping your bombers hidden, then about taking out enemy ships. Give them the ability to generate a squadron or two of their choosing over the course of the game.

I had 6 squadrons of planes fly over my cruiser last game as they headed towards the enemy and it looked just fantastic and made me wish the skies were filled with way more poo poo in general.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm fairly certain I've had dive bombers murder a few of my fights before, but I could be horribly mistaken.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Since when can you lose turrets beyond the point of repair? I've played up to Tier V-VI in all 3 lines and have never had that happen, yet last game I lost two of my cleveland's turrets and they just wouldn't repair. I've lost plenty of turrets but I always just pop a repair and they come right back up.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

Does Langley have exceptionally lovely fighters or are they all like that? I just unlocked it and played couple games against bots to figure out the controls. I sent my fighters after a scout plane and they chased it around the map and spent most of their ammo and werent able to shoot it down. Similar thing happened when I sent them after enemy fighters. They just sat next to the enemy Langley shooting at each other with no effect. For some reason the enemy Langley didnt use AA guns. My planes ran out of ammo, returned to rearm and I sent them back and finally they were able to shoot down 1 enemy fighter. When I sent them after enemy torpedo planes it seemed to make their torpedos go all over the place but again nothing was shot down.

My torpedo planes seemed to work just fine but playing a carrier seemed even more boring than playing arty in WoT. At least you get to shoot a gun instead of staring at your planes do nothing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fart Car '97 posted:

Since when can you lose turrets beyond the point of repair? I've played up to Tier V-VI in all 3 lines and have never had that happen, yet last game I lost two of my cleveland's turrets and they just wouldn't repair. I've lost plenty of turrets but I always just pop a repair and they come right back up.

You always could. It doesn't usually happen with HE damage (which is how turrets and other poo poo usually gets damaged) but if someone blasts them with AP there's a pretty decent chance they're gonna be toast.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Rech posted:

Does Langley have exceptionally lovely fighters or are they all like that? I just unlocked it and played couple games against bots to figure out the controls. I sent my fighters after a scout plane and they chased it around the map and spent most of their ammo and werent able to shoot it down. Similar thing happened when I sent them after enemy fighters. They just sat next to the enemy Langley shooting at each other with no effect. For some reason the enemy Langley didnt use AA guns. My planes ran out of ammo, returned to rearm and I sent them back and finally they were able to shoot down 1 enemy fighter. When I sent them after enemy torpedo planes it seemed to make their torpedos go all over the place but again nothing was shot down.

My torpedo planes seemed to work just fine but playing a carrier seemed even more boring than playing arty in WoT. At least you get to shoot a gun instead of staring at your planes do nothing.

They definitely need to fix the way that fighters work. For one, they should get more ammo imo. It's really annoying when you take out a group of fighters and then want to kill the TBs they were escorting, but no you only had enough ammo for the fighters. Also, I'll have fighters run out of ammo and thus need to return to base, but the enemy fighters are still engaging them. Since they are engaged, they will just sit at the same location slowly dying rather than attempting to return to the ship.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

As a random though, an arming range indicator for torp bombers would be... very useful, let's say. Wonder how long it'll take for someone to make that mod.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

You always could. It doesn't usually happen with HE damage (which is how turrets and other poo poo usually gets damaged) but if someone blasts them with AP there's a pretty decent chance they're gonna be toast.

I guess I just got lucky and never had it happen until just now.

Also torpedoes should come with a loving baby lock that doesn't allow someone to fire them into the path of a friendly ship because jesus christ pubbies are loving idiotic when it comes to just spamming torpedoes at ships regardless of whether or not there's friendlies nearby, especially when they're firing them from 8-9K away

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah friendly torpedoes hit me just about as often as enemy ones do, people are really stupid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rech posted:

The Langley might be garbage but at least you have a historical reason to put a Hatoful Boyfriend skin on it.

quote:

An unusual feature of Langley was provision for a carrier pigeon house on the stern between the 5 in (130 mm)/51 cal guns. Pigeons had been carried aboard seaplanes for message transport since World War I, and were to be carried on aircraft operated from Langley. The pigeons were trained at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard while Langley was undergoing conversion. As long as the pigeons were released a few at a time for exercise, they returned to the ship; but when the whole flock was released while Langley was anchored off Tangier Island, the pigeons flew south and roosted in the cranes of the Norfolk shipyard. The pigeons never went to sea again and the former pigeon house became the executive officer's quarters; but the early plans for conversion of Lexington and Saratoga included a compartment for pigeons.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I had a game where there were two enemies left against 8 of us. One enemy was on the other side of the map while the second one was starting to get swarmed by my entire team. Since everyone saw it would die soon and they wanted the kill, 5 or 6 ships shot all of their torps (note that these are coming from all directions since they had convened on the ship from different directions and different distances). Inevitably a friendly died from the torps. The guy who killed him acted incredulous that someone got hit by torps that he sent from 10km out (well beyond his torps range). I called him out on it and he told me to "wake up. Destroyers shoot torps. That's what they do".

I'm not sure how much a dummy lock would work for torps since they travel slowly enough that someone could still potentially run into them long after shooting. You just gotta hope your teammates aren't that stupid.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Oh and while I'm thinking about user interface, I really wish I had a torpedo range circle in addition to the gun range one. And a surface detection range circle. And an air detection range circle. And a spotting range circle. Whole lotta circles.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Fart Car '97 posted:

I guess I just got lucky and never had it happen until just now.

Also torpedoes should come with a loving baby lock that doesn't allow someone to fire them into the path of a friendly ship because jesus christ pubbies are loving idiotic when it comes to just spamming torpedoes at ships regardless of whether or not there's friendlies nearby, especially when they're firing them from 8-9K away

Sometimes I feel bad when I launch a spread of torps and accidentally hit a friendly ship.

But since I take pains not to do it, it's usually their fault. If I'm laying down torp spreads in the Kuma and a friendly ship decides to steer right into the danger zone, I don't really care.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The best friendly torpedo hits are the ones that happen just as you finish successfully dodging two torpedo bomber squadrons who put down a good pattern. "Why did you turn into my torps that was your fault"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I didn't know if your torps would friendly fire or not so I shot them at a friendly BB in a game already won. He ended up dead and very mad and I had my answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

At the very least, I feel like there should be a audio indicator if you're in the path of friendly torps. One that isn't range based, so if a teammate fire torps in your path you get a beeping that lets you know it the moment you enter the danger zone.

It's really annoying to be duking it out and have idiots in DDs just spamming torps as fast as they can hoping to hit something, because 9/10 DD drivers are really loving bad at the game. Cool in addition to having to plan my maneuvers minutes in advance I have to look out for friendly torps as well as enemy ones :jerkbag: