Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I personally always thought of Belwas as Middle Eastern or Central Asian, but it's not the sort of casting I'd get upset about if they made him black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Amok art is pretty much how I saw Strong Belwas in my head when I first read his scenes:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Lycus posted:

And from the looks of the trailer, the show will build a foundation for it, what with that scene of Drogon visiting her at her pyramid. So they can't be "tamed", but they're still intelligent and have an emotional bond with her.

I think this was supposed to be the deal in the book as well (i.e. explaining why Dany was able to ride the berserk dragon away), but I thought it fell pretty flat. Seemed very McGuffin-y.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Apparently Mance is going to burn in the first episode, I really hope they do that stupid glamour thing now because I want to see Mance in Winterfell trolling the Boltons. :(

Source

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
So Ciaran Hinds was the actor that expected to get more scenes for season 5, ehh?

There's also a thread on Reddit that spoils the entire first episode of S5, including that Cersei's prophecy flashback does not mention a valonqar at all.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I guess because this show is usually really bad at teasing things out for a while for fear the audience will forget about it, maybe Tommen and Myrcella will both die this season since that aspect remained in the show version of the prophecy. But then again, loving Balon is still alive so who knows.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
It's awesome that Lancel & Kevan are back, Lancel is funny as gently caress.

It seems out of everyone Cersei is going have the most faithful arc in S5 so far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BillBear posted:

It's awesome that Lancel & Kevan are back, Lancel is funny as gently caress.

It seems out of everyone Cersei is going have the most faithful arc in S5 so far.

Well obviously, nobody else has anything to do with the Sparrows.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They're killing Caesar? gently caress this show he's the best actor on it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

The Amok art is pretty much how I saw Strong Belwas in my head when I first read his scenes:

DJ Khaled for Belwas

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I always pictured Strong Belwas as James Monroe Iglehart:

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They really underused him though. I kinda totally forgot he was actually on it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They already might as well have killed him in whatever season it was he was last in with more than 1 scene.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So are they going to burn Mance for real, I don't understand?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

whatever7 posted:

So are they going to burn Mance for real, I don't understand?

I have mixed feelings on this. I dont want then to kill Mance because he is important,. a great character (underused in the series) and the actor is also amazing.

At the other hand, that "glamour" thing is probably one of the most stupid things in the book.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Some hopeful *desperate* people believe Mel will revive his corpse afterwards and Jon will assign him his mission then.

Only problem is... he would be mostly charred bones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BillBear posted:

Some hopeful *desperate* people believe Mel will revive his corpse afterwards and Jon will assign him his mission then.

I'm sure R'hllor would give his body back if she asked nice enough

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Anonymous John posted:

There's also a thread on Reddit that spoils the entire first episode of S5, including that Cersei's prophecy flashback does not mention a valonqar at all.

That seems weird if true. Isn't the whole point of the prophecy that it helps explain her paranoia and hatred of Tyrion? Why include it otherwise?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

colonel_korn posted:

That seems weird if true. Isn't the whole point of the prophecy that it helps explain her paranoia and hatred of Tyrion? Why include it otherwise?

The whole thing is unnecessary. I don't know why GRRM put it in there in the first place since Cersei doesn't need a prophecy for her character to fear Tyrion.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

It's probably because unlike in the books, Cersei and Tyrion have been on okay terms on the show up until Joffrey's murder.

I wonder whether this changes the likelihood of Cersei being killed by Jaime on the show.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I think Cersei still disliked Tyrion before Joff's demise mostly because of the whole " he killed our mother" thing. But yeah they seemed way less hostile towards each other.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I really hope the show includes her paranoia and at least one rant about Tyrion hiding in the walls of the Red Keep.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I am rewatching the show, and one thing that I really liked (especially for viewers) that they did was having the little scenery shot with the name of where they were, and a little thing about the place. It is a nice little touch.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I am rewatching the show, and one thing that I really liked (especially for viewers) that they did was having the little scenery shot with the name of where they were, and a little thing about the place. It is a nice little touch.

What, in the intro? It's a pretty good intro for a channel that's known for them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Frostwerks posted:

What, in the intro? It's a pretty good intro for a channel that's known for them.
I think he means these, which are just in the first episode:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The show in general I feel is painting Cercei as a more sympathetic figure than she is in the books.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ross posted:

The show in general I feel is painting Cercei as a more sympathetic figure than she is in the books.

Are you supposed to sympathize with Cersei at all in the books? She's pretty heinous from beginning to end.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Anonymous John posted:

I'm fine with that. Most people aren't going to have any idea what that is.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Anonymous John posted:

It's probably because unlike in the books, Cersei and Tyrion have been on okay terms on the show up until Joffrey's murder.

I wonder whether this changes the likelihood of Cersei being killed by Jaime on the show.

Cersei is getting killed by Jaime. It's been built up for the past several books, how she's changing and he's changing and he's realizing that there's more to life than her.

While looking up some of the songs from the show, I forgot about Symon Silver-Tongue's song for Tyrion. I think it also really heavily applies to Jaime:

quote:

He rode through the streets of the city,

down from his hill on high,

O'er the wynds and the steps and the cobbles,

he rode to a woman's sigh.

For she was his secret treasure,

she was his shame and his bliss.

And a chain and a keep are nothing,

compared to a woman's kiss

For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm...

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think he means these, which are just in the first episode:

Yeah these are what I am talking about, I just didn't know the best way to describe them. I really liked it and kinda wished they did that, at least for the first time you see somewhere since sometimes the inside of one castle looks like the inside of all castles. Having read the books it isn't as big of a deal, but I think it would help show how spread out everyone is.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BillBear posted:

Apparently Mance is going to burn in the first episode, I really hope they do that stupid glamour thing now because I want to see Mance in Winterfell trolling the Boltons. :(

Source

We see Rattleshirt in the trailers, so if Mance survives, he might be staying incognito as the Lord of Bones.

But I'm gonna guess they just dump that poo poo and Mance is flambé for reals. Show Mance has been a very different creature than book Mance, and I see no reason he'd go to Winterfell. I still wonder if his role would be more in line with the books if they had cast McNulty for the part like they originally wanted...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Irish Joe posted:

Are you supposed to sympathize with Cersei at all in the books? She's pretty heinous from beginning to end.

I think it's easy to sympathize with Cersei when she was married to Robert. He beat her, cheated on her, insulted her in public, and made it pretty clear that she was only a backup option at queen. Like there is a difference between Cersei and Jayne Poole's situation with Ramsay, but both women share the common theme of being married to men who treat them just horribly.

Outside of that though yeah Cersei's a total rear end in a top hat. She was a little poo poo as a kid, a little poo poo as a teenager, and a little poo poo as an adult. If she was born as a guy then you better believe she'd have volunteered to pillage the Riverlands over Gregor.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
LONGWINDED MISOGYNY GIMMICK

Doltos posted:

I think it's easy to sympathize with Cersei when she was married to Robert. He beat her, cheated on her, insulted her in public, and made it pretty clear that she was only a backup option at queen. Like there is a difference between Cersei and Jayne Poole's situation with Ramsay, but both women share the common theme of being married to men who treat them just horribly.

Outside of that though yeah Cersei's a total rear end in a top hat. She was a little poo poo as a kid, a little poo poo as a teenager, and a little poo poo as an adult. If she was born as a guy then you better believe she'd have volunteered to pillage the Riverlands over Gregor.

It's actually one of the things I thought the show writers did a good job on, they added a lot more conflict to Cersei. Instead of being yet another fantasy story evil queen, they play up how her own plans get out of her control. I thought a great humanizing moment for show Cersei was her reaction to having Joffrey be the one to order the murder of Robert's bastards. No matter how necessary the act may seem to be in order to secure her son's throne, you still see her kind of shocked at the extent of Joffrey's blase attitude towards brutality, and subsequently you see her making a choice to simply shut out Joffrey's true nature for her own sake. It was a moment where you really saw the difference between Cersei the Queen watching her son do whatever it takes to secure his throne and Cersei the mother seeing her own worst nightmares played out over and over again on the city streets.

It also showed us dramatically why Cersei did what she did to Ned. Instead of simply telling us she did it to protect her own children, we saw her fears acted out in front of her and we saw in cold blood what it was she was trying to avoid. It's a good bit of dramatic irony too that one of the children she was trying to protect would then go on to enact that same exact horrible scenario on other mothers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ballz posted:

We see Rattleshirt in the trailers, so if Mance survives, he might be staying incognito as the Lord of Bones.

But I'm gonna guess they just dump that poo poo and Mance is flambé for reals. Show Mance has been a very different creature than book Mance, and I see no reason he'd go to Winterfell. I still wonder if his role would be more in line with the books if they had cast McNulty for the part like they originally wanted...

Why didn't he take the role?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Why didn't he take the role?

He didnt understand the shooting schedule

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It really would be a shame to lose Mance, adjacency to talent makes Jon Snow come alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhfJd5FM9uI

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did Caesar read the book? Maybe he was the one who pissed because he got wrecked in the opener?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ballz posted:

Just pull a Phantom Menace and have Mance's assistant be the real Mance.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

BillBear posted:

Does this mean Mance is going to be one of those wacky CGI skeletons for the rest of the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

Just pull a Phantom Menace and have Mance's assistant be the real Mance.

Don't say things like this, it's just going to raise false hopes of Dominic West still popping up as the real Mance Rayder later.

• Locked thread