Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just make sure you cook kidney beans thoroughly if you're doing them from dry beans since you can get kidney bean poisoning otherwise. It's more a problem for slow cooker recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One can of red, one can of black, one can of pinto.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I too occasionally break :clint: chili laws and allow beans into my chili, especially if I'm making a batch for when my Mom comes to visit.

I usually just have a large bowl of 3 bean on the side though. Big fan of sides for chili. Chopped green onion, sour cream or even greek yogurt, beans, Parmesan, jack cheese, tortilla chips, cornbread, crackers, rice, jalepenos, chipotle...........they all work great as sides so people can customize their bowl up they way the like.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
There is a certain recipe that was posted here a while ago, it was a no bean that was done fully in a dutch oven. No tomato's, pretty much all concentrated beef broth, chili's and beef. Been trying to find it again for a while but coming up short. I remember that included black strap molasses and beer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Throwdown posted:

There is a certain recipe that was posted here a while ago, it was a no bean that was done fully in a dutch oven. No tomato's, pretty much all concentrated beef broth, chili's and beef. Been trying to find it again for a while but coming up short. I remember that included black strap molasses and beer.

Sounds like Ironleg's Dunkman's recipe

edit; was thinking of the wrong recipe.

edit2; couldn't find the recipe in archives so here is a very similar version.

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of agave tequila, you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup homemade chili powder (see recipe below) - go to the trouble of making your own, store bought is so bland compared to this

Brown the beef a little at a time, if you crowd the pot it will just steam and you won't get a nice dark brown color. Add all the beef back to the pot, reduce heat, add the flour and olive oil, cook it out for about 5 minutes. Add tequila, spices, molasses, beer and stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The beef will just fall apart when done. I prefer to eat over white rice.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 10, 2015

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Man, I made IronLeg's recipe for the first time on Saturday and it is delicious. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly except I went with the full beer instead of beer/coke mix and I did 2 jalapenos and 1 habanero. I like it but I would be ok with a bit more heat so I will probably do 2 habaneros next time to see how that affects it. Either way, its definitely a recipe I will continue to use and tweak.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Thanks guys, I made ironlegs recipe for my household and it came out great, one of the pieces of poo poo that I live with bitched and moaned because... It tasted like chili peppers and was spicy, no tact whatsoever, told me to my face that it sucked and he would prefer a can of Hormel. gently caress him, more for me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Throwdown posted:

Thanks guys, I made ironlegs recipe for my household and it came out great, one of the pieces of poo poo that I live with bitched and moaned because... It tasted like chili peppers and was spicy, no tact whatsoever, told me to my face that it sucked and he would prefer a can of Hormel. gently caress him, more for me.

He does not get to eat real people food then. Let him eat his sadness.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Throwdown posted:

Every time you cook from now on, plate up a nice package of ramen (don't cook it, just toss the dry noodle brick and seasoning packet into a bowl) for him. Bonus points if you can put his on a card table with a folding chair next to where the adults are eating.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Che Delilas posted:

Every time you cook from now on, plate up a nice package of ramen (don't cook it, just toss the dry noodle brick and seasoning packet into a bowl) for him. Bonus points if you can put his on a card table with a folding chair next to where the adults are eating.

This, but with literally everything you're going to cook for that little poo poo. A dry pack of ramen, a can of hormel, a can of whatever vegetables, a can of undrained beans, an undrained canned whole chicken... If he complains, tell him you don't want to offend his bland sensibilities.

Then dump the can on his head. Stupid ungrateful prick. :reject:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Doing these... What's funny is he is an older dude and the 20 year old girl roomy finished a whole bowl and went back for seconds. He isn't going to live this poo poo down.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trying a second batch of the TCP chili. This time I added a can of HEB borracho beans with the 3 cans of beef broth, and a little more spice than last time. I'm also halving the amount of masa, beer, and chocolate from last time, and adding the chocolate with the masa and beer instead of earlier.

It's on the first simmer phase right now. We'll see how it goes.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Maybe it's a regional thing, but any meat based chili with beans I've ever seen here (NY/NJ area) has been kidney. I usually see black beans in veggie chili.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing, but any meat based chili with beans I've ever seen here (NY/NJ area) has been kidney. I usually see black beans in veggie chili.

I'm also in NY. I've seen black beans in meat chili, but kidney beans are way more common, yeah.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I've honestly never heard of using black beans in chili (I'm located in Central Jersey). The idea is intriguing but I feel like black beans have a pretty distinct taste and may add something weird to the flavor. I am likely insane, though, and will be trying this in the near future.

Last batch of chili I made i used some short ribs. Did not turn out well. The bones pulled clean but there were large pieces of gristle and cartilage left behind so the meat did not break down well and left a somewhat oily texture behind as well. I seared the poo poo out of them and threw them in the crockpot to slow cook as instructed, but the final product was quite lacking. Advice?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Longer cooking time. When I make chilli with ribs in it, I do two separate cooks of about six hours each.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I don't like black beans in chili simply because they don't look right. They look like weird black pebbles in your food. Lately I've been just using no beans and it's done wonders for my gastrointestinal situation after eating.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Longer cooking time. When I make chilli with ribs in it, I do two separate cooks of about six hours each.

It cooked for ~10 hours on low. At that point whatever wasn't broken down want gonna. The membranes were showing no signs of degradation at that point so I just tried to pick them out and sigh wistfully before serving.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My next chili is going to be shortribs, oxtails, and shanks. Mmmmmm

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Crazyeyes posted:

It cooked for ~10 hours on low. At that point whatever wasn't broken down want gonna. The membranes were showing no signs of degradation at that point so I just tried to pick them out and sigh wistfully before serving.

Perhaps the temperature wasn't quite high enough? I often start with a reasonably high temperature, high liquid volume cook for the first few hours. After the volume has reduced, I turn the temperature down, and I always get really good cartilage breakdown.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Perhaps the temperature wasn't quite high enough? I often start with a reasonably high temperature, high liquid volume cook for the first few hours. After the volume has reduced, I turn the temperature down, and I always get really good cartilage breakdown.

That's a good idea. I'll have to try that next time I decide to be daring and use short ribs!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I bought 4 kinds of dried chili peppers – ancho, arbol, chipotle, and cascabel – and I wanna turn them into chili powder for my next chili. How I do that?

Also what ratio of each pepper should I use, and are there any other kinds I should buy first?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So I bought 4 kinds of dried chili peppers – ancho, arbol, chipotle, and cascabel – and I wanna turn them into chili powder for my next chili. How I do that?

Also what ratio of each pepper should I use, and are there any other kinds I should buy first?

If you want powder, toast the peppers in an oven till they get aromatic. Grind them up with some toasted cumin seed, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, etc. I use a repurposed coffee grinder. You can look up proportions online if you want but I use an equal number of arbols and guajilos. My chipotles are the canned ones in adobo and I buy pre-ground ancho chili powder.

I would recommend trying the chili paste method over powder. I've had very good results with this method recently by rehydrating and making a spice paste.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

If you want powder, toast the peppers in an oven till they get aromatic. Grind them up with some toasted cumin seed, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, etc. I use a repurposed coffee grinder. You can look up proportions online if you want but I use an equal number of arbols and guajilos. My chipotles are the canned ones in adobo and I buy pre-ground ancho chili powder.

I would recommend trying the chili paste method over powder. I've had very good results with this method recently by rehydrating and making a spice paste.

Paste is way better.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

I did the same thing recently, and followed this guide which was posted earlier in the thread I think (possibly somewhere else):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe.html

It worked just fine, but I haven't tried the paste method so I can't compare them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

If you want powder, toast the peppers in an oven till they get aromatic.
KEEP AN EYE ON THEM SO THEY DONT BURN

Dumb question - wouldn't the chilis release their oils blah blah when you simmer them in your chili or mole or whatever you are making with them? Is this a necessary step?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crazyeyes posted:

gently caress I was hoping I could just put 'em in a blender or something. What are some cheap options for a coffee grinder that will grind peppers? And what's this paste thing?

EDIT: Oh wait, the Food Network link uses a blender. Nevermind.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 31, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

gently caress I was hoping I could just put 'em in a blender or something. What are some cheap options for a coffee grinder that will grind peppers? And what's this paste thing?

Blade coffee grinders are basically mini blenders

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, make a paste with them- Toast on the stove (Or in microwave) till fragrant, then simmer them in some stock (That you were going to put in the chili anyhow!) and toss it in the blender along with other parts of your spices of choice (You could add some tomato paste here, anchovy, other toasted->ground spices, whatever).

Then you just add it to your dutch oven right after browning your onions and garlic and give it a few minutes of cooking before adding the rest of your chili liquids/beef/fixings and simmering forever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I've used my vitamix to annihilate dried peppers into powder, but I still had to smash some of the larger bits in a mortar & pestle.

that said, i recommend the paste over powder but sometimes powder is nice to have available.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Why is paste a better option? Powder would theoretically last effectively forever and is slightly faster/easier to make, and wouldn't need to be refrigerated like paste might.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Mixes in better, you get a bit of cooking/browning on it specifically, and less gritty end product I guess.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The one big reason to use powder is if you want to make a whole bunch of powder and always get the exact same flavor for batch after batch of chili. That's why people big on chili competitions usually make up a powder mix; it's reliable.

Since I hate being reliable, I prefer to make a paste.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Why is paste a better option? Powder would theoretically last effectively forever and is slightly faster/easier to make, and wouldn't need to be refrigerated like paste might.

If it lasts forever why aren't we buying chili powder from the grocery store?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Whether powder or paste, I think it's important to make it (relatively) fresh - there are no ground spices I keep longer than a week. Having several mortar/pestles and a blade grinder make this easier.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use my coffee grinder and then grind 1/2 cup of rice to clean it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

A heel of bread works too.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

wormil posted:

I use my coffee grinder and then grind 1/2 cup of rice to clean it.

This is a clever cleaning method. I always have trouble getting my grinder clean afterward.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm wanting to make a big batch of chili to take with me to my new office job for lunches. It will probably also end up being dinner at times, so I'm trying to put together a recipe my fiancee can eat/will enjoy. She doesn't like food very spicy, and she's on an elimination diet so she can't put sour cream into the chili to take some of the kick out. Looking at the second post, I'm inclined to do meat, dried chilies in a blender, cumin, and a 75/25 beef broth/tomato paste mix. I'm just not sure what sort of ratios to go for. My crock pot is about 3/4 to 1 gallon. I feel comfortable eyeballing the meat, broth, and cumin, but I'm worried about making it too spicy with the chili powder. Does anyone have a suggestion for an amount that would have flavor, but not be very spicy for about 3/4 of a gallon of chili? I'd rather be on the safe side and then gradually increase it for further batches until I hit a point we're both happy with.

Also, I've heard chili freezes well, confirm/deny? It would be nice if I could do up big batches of chili and baked beans, and just take out whatever the day before and toss it in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm wanting to make a big batch of chili to take with me to my new office job for lunches. It will probably also end up being dinner at times, so I'm trying to put together a recipe my fiancee can eat/will enjoy. She doesn't like food very spicy, and she's on an elimination diet so she can't put sour cream into the chili to take some of the kick out. Looking at the second post, I'm inclined to do meat, dried chilies in a blender, cumin, and a 75/25 beef broth/tomato paste mix. I'm just not sure what sort of ratios to go for. My crock pot is about 3/4 to 1 gallon. I feel comfortable eyeballing the meat, broth, and cumin, but I'm worried about making it too spicy with the chili powder. Does anyone have a suggestion for an amount that would have flavor, but not be very spicy for about 3/4 of a gallon of chili? I'd rather be on the safe side and then gradually increase it for further batches until I hit a point we're both happy with.

Also, I've heard chili freezes well, confirm/deny? It would be nice if I could do up big batches of chili and baked beans, and just take out whatever the day before and toss it in the fridge.

The stuff I've made has frozen fine.

I use store-bought chili powder and canned beans/broth/tomatoes because I'm incredibly lazy. With that in mind, 2 tbsp chili powder per 1 can of beans/broth/tomatoes and 2lb of meat is pretty mild, depending on what other spices you use --the chili powder itself isn't terribly spicy, but cayenne definitely is. You can always just add the powder a bit at a time and taste as necessary.