Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

I'm obviously biased, but I vote "no" on this. Who is going to keep things moving along? Who is going to be doing the announcements? Will anyone be available the entire time to tech audio and lighting? How about planning out the reception itself?

When and where are you getting married? I'm up in Breckenridge and would rather cut you a bangin' deal than see this go down.

September 2016, probably in the Estes/Loveland/Fort Collins area. I hadn't thought about lighting, is the soundboard and lighting something the venue usually provides? If not, that sounds like another big expense, and a pain in the rear end to set up/tear down. I roadied for my guitar teacher a couple of times when he was doing sound tech, that was painful enough without doing any lighting.

I honestly really don't care about the music. At all. The last wedding I went to didn't have any dancing, and I was fine with that. But I know my fiancee will want to dance, and what sucks the most is that there's no real "dance lessons" for dancing to pop. I did a tiny bit of ballroom in the past, and I could probably do a passable waltz or foxtrot with a little practice, but she's absolutely going to have some Michael Jackson or Jackson Five on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, about the bar. I was reading people suggesting doing just one or two signature cocktails to keep prices down. How does that save money over having a full bar? The bartender still has to make each drink, the only savings I could see would be that it limits the cost to well liquor rather than somebody getting top-shelf scotch

I've been to two weddings with the "signature cocktail" thing, and they essentially WERE punch, just as you were thinking of doing anyway.
In both cases they had 2 huge fancy glass beverage dispensers with spigots that held the basic alcohols mixed for the drink + any kind of fruit juice and bitters + floating fruit slices to make it look nice, then the bartenders only had to dispense that into a glass with ice and add a splash of soda if necessary. They could serve up multiple drinks at once depending on how many cups they could hold in one hand, it was super fast plus it was tasty.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

22 Eargesplitten posted:

September 2016, probably in the Estes/Loveland/Fort Collins area. I hadn't thought about lighting, is the soundboard and lighting something the venue usually provides? If not, that sounds like another big expense, and a pain in the rear end to set up/tear down. I roadied for my guitar teacher a couple of times when he was doing sound tech, that was painful enough without doing any lighting.

I honestly really don't care about the music. At all. The last wedding I went to didn't have any dancing, and I was fine with that. But I know my fiancee will want to dance, and what sucks the most is that there's no real "dance lessons" for dancing to pop. I did a tiny bit of ballroom in the past, and I could probably do a passable waltz or foxtrot with a little practice, but she's absolutely going to have some Michael Jackson or Jackson Five on there.

Try West Coast Swing. Fun, sometimes hot, and works with several types of music.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

God I went to a wedding where there friend was the DJ, and it was basically him with an iPod and a microphone. I have never seen a person suck energy out of a crowd faster...

A good DJ is so worth it. A mediocre DJ is even worth it.

To be honest...MOST DJs are guys with iTunes and a Microphone. They just know what they are doing and have equipment. I own DJ equipment from when I was a rave DJ and doing a rave set is 100% different than hitting play on songs in a certain order at a wedding. The announcing, knowing how to control the crowd (3 upbeat then 1 slow), and knowing who to listen to for requests and who NOT to listen to for requests are the big winners with an actual wedding DJ.

Scudworth posted:

I've been to two weddings with the "signature cocktail" thing, and they essentially WERE punch, just as you were thinking of doing anyway.
In both cases they had 2 huge fancy glass beverage dispensers with spigots that held the basic alcohols mixed for the drink + any kind of fruit juice and bitters + floating fruit slices to make it look nice, then the bartenders only had to dispense that into a glass with ice and add a splash of soda if necessary. They could serve up multiple drinks at once depending on how many cups they could hold in one hand, it was super fast plus it was tasty.

My fiancé thought about doing a signature cocktail, but our colors are grey and orange so it wasn't worth the time trying to create an orange drink for everyone.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...September 2016...

I haven't booked any 2016 weddings yet. I will probably begin doing that this summer/fall. Keep me in mind and hit me up if you want to talk some details.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hadn't thought about lighting, is the soundboard and lighting something the venue usually provides? If not, that sounds like another big expense, and a pain in the rear end to set up/tear down.

I worked a country club wedding in Denver and they actually had uplighting for their room, but that is probably the most I've ever seen a venue do.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I honestly really don't care about the music. At all.

I hate to single out this statement, but just be sure to think of your guests. This is an entertainment event and you are receiving guests. It's similar to how I talk couples out of "just country" for their receptions because, while it is their day, for the event to be successful we need to consider our guests as a top priority. Don't worry about your dance skills, either.

Also what others said about arranging/programming music, announcing, crowd control, and screening song requests. Again: I'm obviously biased, but I've just heard too many horror stories and experienced some myself at weddings with no pro music.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

At the same time, there is not a worse time to make ill-conceived large purchases than right before your own wedding.

Again, would be all for it if he wasn't saying how tight his budget is and everything.

So by this logic the bride's wedding dress is an ill conceived large purchase?

Some people like looking nice and wearing nice clothes. I don't understand everyone complaining that he might only wear it once when that is literally what 98% of brides do every single day. And that is for gowns that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. And as someone who works in events in NYC, the opportunities to wear a tux are actually rather plentiful here.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

OssiansFolly posted:

My fiancé thought about doing a signature cocktail, but our colors are grey and orange so it wasn't worth the time trying to create an orange drink for everyone.

I've always seen signature cocktails to be more of a "we like this, plus it's cheaper than a full open bar" that has nothing to do with the colors. If we decide to do signature cocktails his will be a screwdriver (also an orange drink idea for you) and mine will be a shirley temple with rum because they poo poo is delicious. While we don't have colors (a bit nontraditional so having actual colors doesn't make sense), my shoes/bouquet/coat/nails will all be shades of purple and once he decides what he's wearing I'll probably pick a tie to match.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't care about the music as much as my fiancee, but gotta remember: she likely cares much more about the actual ceremony than you do, almost as a rule. Not that this is the case 100% of the time, but generally this is a true statement. You already sound like you know that, though.

The rest of the time it's for the guests, but it's first and foremost about y'all as a couple. If you're not gonna just do a courthouse wedding, it should be somewhat worthwhile for everyone else to attend if you're inviting them, right? Especially if they are flying in or driving a few hours to be there.

e: I'm probably generalizing about women way too much so I hope I don't offend anyone

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ilysespieces posted:

I've always seen signature cocktails to be more of a "we like this, plus it's cheaper than a full open bar" that has nothing to do with the colors. If we decide to do signature cocktails his will be a screwdriver (also an orange drink idea for you) and mine will be a shirley temple with rum because they poo poo is delicious. While we don't have colors (a bit nontraditional so having actual colors doesn't make sense), my shoes/bouquet/coat/nails will all be shades of purple and once he decides what he's wearing I'll probably pick a tie to match.

Yea we wanted something unique and looked fancy in a glass. It was intended to be a "remember that drink we had at OssiansFolly's wedding?" kind of thing. I toyed with a few things like melting Jolly Ranchers in vodka and using that as a base to mix from and it was just too much work. I have more important things to do...like buy good liquor and hire a good DJ so everyone has fun. That drink to me was a novelty that I didn't find was worth the time. :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our friends had a very budget reception, and the only thing that was really screwed up was that they had an amateur DJ / friend and he didn't mike the ceremony at all. Depending on the venue, this might not matter, but this was a low room with a lot of people and it was pretty inaudible.

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea we wanted something unique and looked fancy in a glass. It was intended to be a "remember that drink we had at OssiansFolly's wedding?" kind of thing. I toyed with a few things like melting Jolly Ranchers in vodka and using that as a base to mix from and it was just too much work. I have more important things to do...like buy good liquor and hire a good DJ so everyone has fun. That drink to me was a novelty that I didn't find was worth the time. :(

That's something that we've had a hard time accepting... that my fiancée and I are going to be very busy that day and any plans that require last-minute prep are probably bad plans. Very different from a normal party where you can work hard on it right up until the start.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 19, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

smackfu posted:

Our friends had a very budget reception, and the only thing that was really screwed up was that they had an amateur DJ / friend and he didn't mike the ceremony at all. Depending on the venue, this might not matter, but this was a low room with a lot of people and it was pretty inaudible.

That's something that we've had a hard time accepting... that my fiancée and I are going to be very busy that day and any plans that require last-minute prep are probably bad plans. Very different from a normal party where you can work hard on it right up until the start.

Yea I pretty much just made it VERY clear to the reception location that the most important drink that the bartenders need to know how to make LEGITIMATELY is the Tom Collins. My friends LOVE Tom Collins at weddings, so I want it made the RIGHT way with Simple Syrup and real Limes. I just had a great idea! Thanks to you I think I will just add food coloring to the Simple Syrup and BOOM Orange Tom Collins!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Psychobabble posted:

So by this logic the bride's wedding dress is an ill conceived large purchase?

I thought the insanity of wedding dresses was probably a given. That said, you don't have to buy a gown that costs thousands of dollars. The fiance of the tux dude is only spending $200-ish on her dress.

Brides do it because of social expectation and pressure. There is next to zero social reason (outside of sheer personal preference*) for a groom to go down that money hole.

*and this is fine if you have the funds. But he's saying how they're recovering from large car repairs and have a tight budget for the wedding. His justification is "I'll use it later". Taking that into account:

quote:

Some people like looking nice and wearing nice clothes. I don't understand everyone complaining that he might only wear it once when that is literally what 98% of brides do every single day. And that is for gowns that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. And as someone who works in events in NYC, the opportunities to wear a tux are actually rather plentiful here.

You missed the part where I said it would only make sense if he was in a place like NYC, right? Either way it's still probably not justified unless you're affluent. There is a world of difference between a rich Manhattanite and a 23 year old penny pinching for a wedding in non-metropolitan Colorado.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Considering I'm getting married in less than three months and we're cramming a lot of planning into this time period, is there anyone here who had an actual wedding in such a short time? I'm not really sure when to get the suit, and what to tell the groomsmen to buy. Or even if they buy the suits or I do. What's the etiquette on this? Also, what's the etiquette on honeymoon funds in place of asking for gifts? I feel weird about basically just asking guests and invitees for cash so we can go on our honeymoon, especially when I think I'm the one who is supposed to pay for it. My mom and her husband have offered us use of their timeshare points, but I've looked all the locations over and none of them seem appealing as far as the US locations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I don't care about the music as much as my fiancee, but gotta remember: she likely cares much more about the actual ceremony than you do, almost as a rule. Not that this is the case 100% of the time, but generally this is a true statement. You already sound like you know that, though.

The rest of the time it's for the guests, but it's first and foremost about y'all as a couple. If you're not gonna just do a courthouse wedding, it should be somewhat worthwhile for everyone else to attend if you're inviting them, right? Especially if they are flying in or driving a few hours to be there.

e: I'm probably generalizing about women way too much so I hope I don't offend anyone

I'm sure she cares about it as much as I do, but she isn't putting as much thought into it as I am right now. Partially it was because I fixate on the future when I have a lovely present, although the present is considerably less lovely now that I have a job where I won't be working 12 day weeks. Partially because I want to get as much as possible done as far out as possible to minimize the stress later on. Because I know no matter what I do, the month or so leading up will be super stressful, and I'm hoping I can get it down to normal super-stressful, rather than nervous breakdown super-stressful.

smackfu posted:

Seriously, go to the GWS cocktails thread and ask Kenning about punches. Give him the price point you're looking at per drink, maybe what sort of flavor you're looking for. Most of the recipes amount to "Dump a few bottles of liquor into bowl, add fruit/juice/sugar/soda water, stir." That's about as simple as you can get. I'm pretty sure that dude knows of and has made almost every punch in the world (that isn't just vodka and fruit juice).

At this point I'm pretty much planning on looking primarily at Ebay (and occasional thrift stores) for the tuxedo. Thankfully, I can sift out most of the lovely results by specifying one button and used, rather than new. If I can get the suit for 2-300 and the shirt for ~50, that's pretty close to a good-quality rental. I see a lot of old mother of pearl or enamel double-sided cufflinks for <$15. I haven't looked at suspenders, but those should be pretty cheap.

The etiquette for suits is that the groomsmen buy/rent them. At least, that's what I've read. Same with Bridesmaids and their dresses.

I'd like to know the same thing about asking for honeymoon donations. By the time we get married, we will have all of the kitchen appliances we could possibly want. What would be nice is being able to go out for nice dinners or drinks a few more times on the honeymoon. But I really don't want to be crass.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

For groomsmen gifts I need to pick out a bunch of nice beers in growlers. My plan right now is to buy just random poo poo for most of the party, then buy the FoB cider because hes not a big drinker, buy small things of vodka for my non beer drinkers and one growler of rootbeer for my straight edge friend. Pairing this with nice custom bottle openers, I think Im set.

Then for best man/FoBs extra gifts I need to figure poo poo out.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Considering I'm getting married in less than three months and we're cramming a lot of planning into this time period, is there anyone here who had an actual wedding in such a short time? I'm not really sure when to get the suit, and what to tell the groomsmen to buy. Or even if they buy the suits or I do. What's the etiquette on this? Also, what's the etiquette on honeymoon funds in place of asking for gifts? I feel weird about basically just asking guests and invitees for cash so we can go on our honeymoon, especially when I think I'm the one who is supposed to pay for it. My mom and her husband have offered us use of their timeshare points, but I've looked all the locations over and none of them seem appealing as far as the US locations.

It really depends on your crowd as far as etiquette goes - in the US it's common for bridesmaids and groomsmen to buy their own outfits, in the UK it's more common for them to be bought (or at least contributed to) by the bride and groom. Plus etiquette is all good and well but if you can't afford to buy your groomsmen's suits, offering to pay for them is pretty pointless. We had a full year to plan but we're 6 months out and my fiance is just getting round to looking for suits now. I don't think it takes too long but it depends if you need a custom made/measured suit or can grab one off the rack - and the same would apply to your groomsmen.

As far as asking for honeymoon funds this is definitely becoming more popular now and more understandable given people's situations often mean that they own the typical/traditional type of wedding gifts. Again, depends on your crowd though. In terms of etiquette a lot of people find it rude to be given specific information about gifts in the invitation itself and lots of people HATE those money/honeymoon fund poem things. We're basically using our wedding website to say 'we really don't need specific gifts from our guests you presence will be enough' and using word of mouth to let people know that if they really want to get us something, money towards making our honeymoon special (we've already paid for it), or our house deposit, or vouchers towards furnishing our first home would be appreciated. We really can't store or fit anything into the house we are renting right now. However if someone wants to buy us an item as a gift we'll be grateful and appreciate the thought.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know what she'll want to end up doing, but I told her I felt uncomfortable asking for cash for the honeymoon and I should pay. Naturally I told her if we found the right timeshare that we both wanted to go stay at or if she was REALLY set on doing a honeymoon fund, I wouldn't press it, but man, it feels weird.

We're going to look at suits on Sunday, she's going to look at dresses tomorrow. At least hoping to get her to Jos. A Bank. I much prefer their suits and stuff.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I dunno, saying 'hey contribute to our once in a lifetime holiday!' doesn't feel much weirder to me than saying 'hey furnish my house for me from this specific list please!'

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

I don't know what she'll want to end up doing, but I told her I felt uncomfortable asking for cash for the honeymoon and I should pay. Naturally I told her if we found the right timeshare that we both wanted to go stay at or if she was REALLY set on doing a honeymoon fund, I wouldn't press it, but man, it feels weird.

We got around the weirdness of asking for money by have a super small registry (~30 items, almost all under $50) and letting our immediate family and best friends know that "we live in a small apartment and might have to move, we just don't need stuff", it seems most people get the gist and will be giving us cash (though this is for our engagement party tomorrow, we'll keep the same registry if/when we figure out our party situation, but we're also expecting some people to bring nothing which we're totally fine with, because it's not technically a gift giving event). Older people have insisted on giving physical gifts (which is awesome because so far we've gotten a luggage set for our honeymoon and new pots/pans and bakeware so I can get rid of our old mismatched stuff) but most people give money by default because it's easy and mindless.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I just mentioned to people that money goes further in the form of cash or gift cards since anything we register for is 20% off following the wedding if no one buys it. I know it may sound tacky, but it also sends the message that we'd prefer to pick out what we need most since the list doesn't exactly give a Most to Least important organization. Nothing would suck more than getting an item we can't use without another item or getting a bunch of towels without the matching wash cloths...

I personally would rather have the money to go shop the right way rather than end up with pieces are parts all over the place...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

The way we handled the registry was that we put on a bunch of smaller/useful things, along with a handful of "lol yeah right" expensive stuff. What happened was that people would buy us the small stuff and then supplement with cash, or just straight up give us cash to put towards the larger stuff that's too expensive for any one guest.

If you don't have a full registry with stuff, people are more likely to buy you a bunch of random crap. It's easier to return a bunch of stuff for cash at 1-2 stores rather than have 20 different decorative bowls from god knows where.

If you want honeymoon money, I'd say set up a Honeyfund or some similar service, and then a "stuff" registry at some ubiquitous registry store like Bed Bath and Beyond or Crate & Barrel or something to facilitate easy purchases and returns.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
75% of our guest list had to travel so we got mostly cash because who wants to travel with a blender? We had a fair number of people ship stuff directly to our house if they felt they had to get us A Thing.

We registered for stuff that was upgrades to our current houseware (Le Creuset to replace IKEA plates, Wusthof knives to replace cheap Target knives, etc). When we got something we just took the old thing to goodwill so our sum total of owned items didn't increase. Plus most of our registry was real expensive so people were like "not spending that" and wrote a check instead.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well, we may not even need a honeymoon fund if we find a timeshare we actually want to go to, but I'm not the biggest fan of timeshares and none of them save Napa are in places we want to go for a honeymoon. My fiancee did discard the idea of a dock fund, because whatever we have left over from the honeymoon we want to put toward a boat dock. Who knows. We're using a friend's backyard on the lake to get married, so we don't have to pay for a venue because they are longtime friends and we can have money left over to pay people to clean up and break tables down and what-not instead of paying $6000~ for a venue that doesn't have people to do that.

We'll keep looking into a honeymoon fund, though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Plus most of our registry was real expensive so people were like "not spending that" and wrote a check instead.

Another good one is when people put very expensive silver settings on their registry, and they get one or two place settings.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

What we really could use is a king-size bed and mattress, but good ones cost thousands. Her bed is a queen and is small for us since we both need room to sleep, and her mattress is too soft for me. Tried talking her into a sleep number bed, but gently caress the cost of that poo poo. My back is almost shot from 8 years of jumping off trucks in 70+ lbs of combat equipment, and the soft mattress hates my back so much. I'd toyed with the idea of a bed fund, but...eh. We'll see.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What we really could use is a king-size bed and mattress, but good ones cost thousands. Her bed is a queen and is small for us since we both need room to sleep, and her mattress is too soft for me. Tried talking her into a sleep number bed, but gently caress the cost of that poo poo. My back is almost shot from 8 years of jumping off trucks in 70+ lbs of combat equipment, and the soft mattress hates my back so much. I'd toyed with the idea of a bed fund, but...eh. We'll see.

Yo man get a good new mattress they are absolutely worth it. The cost of a decent new mattress will seem like a puddle in an ocean once you start paying for wedding stuff.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I want a sleep number too...I slept on one while house sitting for a friend and they are magical. I hate our mattress because it hurts my back too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah a new bed and mattress is a big priority for us. I have trouble sleeping in the first place, and my back on top of that makes the nights long, and sometimes it hurts so much Ibuprofen doesn't even touch it. Then I look over at her and she'll be sound asleep and I'm just laying there awake thinking, "Fuckkkkkk..."

My parents had a sleep number bed and I used to sleep on it when I'd visit them. One side wouldn't hold air all night so they'd moved it to a spare room. It was wonderful. If we had one of those, she could sleep at like 25 (that's my best guess for her sleep number) and I'd keep my side at a comfortable 100. Too bad they don't make them to like 150. There could just be a button on the remote with a symbol of a rock on it you could press and it'd instantly make it feel like you were sleeping on concrete.

A man can dream.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Get a new mattress, even if its not a sleep number just one that doesnt make you wake up sore. I put off buying a mattress forever and god drat once you do its like what the gently caress was I thinking sleeping on that piece of poo poo

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I'd like some suggestions for my and my fiance's wedding outfits. We're getting married in high July at an outdoor pavilion without air conditioning, and our dress code is super-casual/cool/comfy (guests are being told they can wear jeans/shorts). I purchased a white maxi dress from Torrid. Here are pictures of it on their model, any suggestions for shoes/undergarments/accessories? I was thinking about wearing a wrist corsage and leaving my (long) hair down. But I am clueless about fashion, I guess I need a strapless bra? What about spanx? Our colors are white and teal, not sure how to accessorize since teal is kind of a niche color.

We are probably going to put my fiance in a white shirt and khaki pants (does this work?), with a boutonniere. He's big and tall, size 3x, any suggestions on where to buy from? Should he tuck the shirt in? I guess we should get him a belt, we don't want suspenders and I don't think he'd look good in a vest.

If there's a better thread for this question, let me know.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

martyrdumb posted:

We are probably going to put my fiance in a white shirt and khaki pants (does this work?), with a boutonniere. He's big and tall, size 3x, any suggestions on where to buy from? Should he tuck the shirt in? I guess we should get him a belt, we don't want suspenders and I don't think he'd look good in a vest.

If he's a big dude, and since you said you're anti-suspenders, I would suggest NOT tucking the shirt in and going with a dressy, hot weather shirt designed to be worn as such (e.g. a guayabera). A summer weight vest or blazer/sports coat would be a bit more traditional. Vest is good because you can wear suspenders (comfort) without them showing if you're worried they look goofy. The "fat guy with his gut cinched in by a belt" look isn't really that great, so something to cover the waist, (vest/coat/untucked shirt) is ideal.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 21, 2015

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

LogisticEarth posted:

If he's a big dude, and since you said you're anti-suspenders, I would suggest NOT tucking the shirt in and going with a dressy, hot weather shirt designed to be worn as such (e.g. a guayabera). A summer weight vest or blazer/sports coat would be a bit more traditional. Vest is good because you can wear suspenders (comfort) without them showing if you're worried they look goofy. The "fat guy with his gut cinched in by a belt" look isn't really that great, so something to cover the waist, (vest/coat/untucked shirt) is ideal.
Never heard of a guayabera, but that's a great look. Goes great with the kinda beachy theme we have in mind. Thank you!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Depending on if you will be wearing hose or going bare legged, I can't suggest the shorts from Thigh Society enough. I got a pair in nude and they're perfect, they don't make you look like a sausage, they just kind of smooth things out a bit and keep the chub rub at bay.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.

martyrdumb posted:

I'd like some suggestions for my and my fiance's wedding outfits. We're getting married in high July at an outdoor pavilion without air conditioning, and our dress code is super-casual/cool/comfy (guests are being told they can wear jeans/shorts). I purchased a white maxi dress from Torrid. Here are pictures of it on their model, any suggestions for shoes/undergarments/accessories? I was thinking about wearing a wrist corsage and leaving my (long) hair down. But I am clueless about fashion, I guess I need a strapless bra? What about spanx? Our colors are white and teal, not sure how to accessorize since teal is kind of a niche color.

I think some teal ribbon would look fantastic as a belt on your dress, if you'd like a splash of colour! You could also consider a shrug, bolero or a parasol to help protect you from the sun - I was married in Mexico and I just used a scarf for my shoulders since I'm super duper pale. As for shoes, have you seen Shoes of Prey? Pricey, but hey, at least you can wear them again.

If none of this advice works for you, there are some fantastic ladies in the Women's Fashion Megathread who can probably help.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Some teal jewelry shouldn't be too hard to come across, especially if you've got a store like Charming Charlie nearby. I don't know what shade of teal you're going for but something like this would look nice I think.

If you decide to go get some Spanx, bring your dress with you when you go shopping to see how it looks. I personally find Spanx to be really uncomfortable, I purchased some then decided against wearing them on my wedding day because they make me feel like a sausage in a too tight casing.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 21, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Anyone had a honeymoon in the Whitsunday islands in Australia?

The weddings in a month, and the wife to be wants somewhere "relaxing" but is unable to define what that means. I figure a tropical island is a good definition of that.

I've been advised we need to get small gifts for the bridal party. What/where would be some good suggestions?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Seconding that a linen jacket, or even a white linen suit if you could find one cheap would look really great with that dress. Linen breathes really well as long as it isn't lined with rayon , which some are. As long as your shirt breathes well too it shouldn't be noticeably warmer than any other clothes.

For what it's worth, I wore a seersucker suit to a 90 degree 4th of July outside and felt absolutely fine all day. Seersucker is different than linen, but unless you're from the south or have major steeze you probably shouldn't go with seersucker. They're both very breathable summer fabrics, though.

Comstar posted:

I've been advised we need to get small gifts for the bridal party. What/where would be some good suggestions?

A bottle of their favorite liquor. They went through an extremely stressful experience for you guys, they could use it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Comstar posted:

We don't know your bridal party, but something small that will last a long time to remember the event by is always good. Then something cute and useful would be next IMO. For example, for the girls in my wedding they are all getting a single pearl silver necklace that my mother is going to make (so they all have matching necklaces for the wedding) and then my fiancé is buying them all a small monogrammed bag ($10 on etsy) filled with neat bath stuff from etsy. All in all it is going to run about $30/girl and we have 5. Cheaper than what I am going to get the guys.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Suggest you look on Pinterest, like all other wedding things. Lots of good ideas for gifts, from reasonable to crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

This weekend was a busy one for us, our engagement party was Saturday and it was a lot of fun. My brother is in the Marines so he isn't around too much but he made the trip back to NY with his girlfriend and he got to meet everyone. There was so much cake, we had 40 people and my FSIL bought a full sheet cake and a half sheet cake, I think the half sheet went home with her, fully intact. We had the back room of a restaurant but it was before they were opened which was good, because we were loud.

Yesterday I went to Wedding Crashers in Brooklyn with a friend from the wedding planning subreddit and it was awesome. My photographer posted on Facebook that she'd be there and I "won" a spot on her guest list and she let me bring someone, my BFF had class and my mom already had plans, so I asked someone I'd been chatting with who is also doing a NYC city hall wedding and we had a blast. It was a small thing, at least compared to the convention center expos I've been looking at, and there was still a ton of food and drinks and just stuff, I came home with a huge bag of stuff (my favorite being a tote bag that says "totes getting married" from an event planner. He said the idea came to him in a dream and he was fantastic. If we were doing a real event I'd be considering him, for sure) and the best of all is I saw a jewler who had a bunch of rings and while we're doing plain gold bands, I kind of fell in love with this one design, it's just a teeny bit taller at the top which would match my engagement ring. Gonna have to see if my jewler can make me something like that.

Tl;Dr the more niche events are amazing and I kind of love doing this stuff :P