Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bouchacha posted:

Super weird. How does Whiterun look like from white river watch? I swear that building looked exactly like that but with the particle patch for me. I had SDO and SkyFalls+Skymills with no issue. If we both experienced this, maybe there's a third dependent culprit.

I have not checked by actually going into the game yet, but I think what happened was that I installed SkyFalls/Mills ages ago with the SDO patch, forgot about it, then tried to play without SDO (because pretty as it was, it made cell transitions torturous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

GaistHeidegger posted:

RaceMenu
The definitive upgrade to Skyrim's character creation menu. It has like two million hits for a reason.

Racemenu is very powerful, and I wish I could use it since Citrus Head is only compatible with it, but ECE is fine too, and I vastly prefer its approach to vertex editing. Maybe I'll export and switch over to Racemenu for my characters with finalized faces, so I can use Racemenu tattoos/scars/warpaint overlays, but I don't think I could ever make a good face in it. Then again, I'm the kind of person who's holding off on Cities: Skylines till the traffic issues are solved, because my cosmetic OCD will not abide wonky roads.

The Bijin mod series guy uses it too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm trying to get the Skyrim HD 2k textures in game but it's just ... not working at all. I'm using Mod Organizer, so I've tried it with/without the normal HD DLC enabled in the archive tab, took screenshots with the textures directory in Data and not in Data, and there's no difference at all, so I'm just completely stumped here. Googling doesn't seem to help much either. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: my mipmap settings in skyrimprefs.ini are already set to 0, which is the only thing approaching a solution I've seen for this.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone have any recommendations for good quest mods besides the ones that are in the OP?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm getting that Unreal texture pop in on dragons and only dragons with the S.T.E.P. set up.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Duck and burger posted:

Racemenu is very powerful, and I wish I could use it since Citrus Head is only compatible with it, but ECE is fine too, and I vastly prefer its approach to vertex editing. Maybe I'll export and switch over to Racemenu for my characters with finalized faces, so I can use Racemenu tattoos/scars/warpaint overlays, but I don't think I could ever make a good face in it. Then again, I'm the kind of person who's holding off on Cities: Skylines till the traffic issues are solved, because my cosmetic OCD will not abide wonky roads.

Huh! Those are all pretty impressive, for sure. I'll cop to the point that I don't generally do much fiddling with tweaking facial structures when I play, but those results look excellent.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

I am toiling around with Thunderchild and I keep making new characters. Are there any mods that let you skip to after you meet the greybeards and get the horn? Its just so tedious doing that every time.

Not really a mod but I use this set of clean saves. Works well enough for me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I think Skyrim Unbound has an option to start you directly after the Greybeards declare you Dragonborn.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So I was hesitant to muck around with Aemer's Refuge since I'm not typically fond of 'giant fortress here have a huge gently caress-off castle!!!' styles of player housing--but I wanted to weigh in and say that it is drat well put together, cleverly designed and has a pretty drat gorgeous layout and aesthetic on the whole. It is definitely nowhere near the same league of 'here is a big castle with giant halls that have forty mannequins in them enjoy!' type mods--and I can probably agree with one of the review snippets for it that suggested that it felt very much in line with something you might find exploring Skyrim on the regular.

Essentially, it is a mostly dwemer-style dig, albeit expressed almost wholly in architecture and stonework rather than having a bunch of pipes and gears everywhere; there is an animated dwemer lift to go between two floors and a couple fancy doors. The whole of it is built within a mountainside and has several levels that flow well together and the decor is pretty nice. There's most of what you'd expect--a master bedroom slash alchemy / enchanting area, a smaller sort of gallery for weapon mounts and armor mannequins and such, as well as a pretty gnarly forge area. So far, pretty much the norm. But, you'll start noticing some pretty cleverly handled convenience elements and more as you go exploring and get acquainted.

Firstly, there's a sort of small 'war room / strategy' type staging area--it's really a small hall with a hearth, a desk and a long table with a map on it; this is generally the first room you're liable to pass when reaching the refuge--and it has a chest tucked under the desk which is a sorting chest. There's actually a couple of these tucked away at different entryways and egresses and effectively they do what you'd expect--you toss items in and they ferry them off to appropriate storage. In the master bedroom there are repositories which will receive garments for wardrobes, jewelry and so forth--as well as ample bookshelf space and the like. It's all very fetching to look at and most rooms have lights which you can toggle on/off too.

By the forging area then you'll find dwemer-style wall containers separating out dragon bits, ores and all that jazz (they look quite good) and, if you're not the sort who's already running Lt. Smash's fantastic Craftling cloud storage tie-in, Aemer's has a little switch in the forge area you can toggle if you'd like to automatically have access to all of your stored crafting materials when you're working at a given station--which it then returns to sorted storage when you're done. What you'll also find, if you have an eye for it--is that there are relatively subtly-hidden dwemer runes at different places in the refuge which trigger a number of secrets. The one in the forge is admittedly what fully sold me on finally giving so large a home a go for a change: it revealed a very elaborate hidden door mechanism which when activated unfolded in spectacular fashion to reveal a secret vault completely prepped to receive a collection of every dragon mask, artifact, elder scroll and other unique accouterments to be collected across skyrim and (if you snag the add-on) both dawnguard and dragonborn. It looks really, really cool.

There's a bathhouse / sauna type area with a little rune to get in your skivvies if that's your thing, as well as a two-level open living area that's fit for companions or adopted kids to live in with a bunch of things NPCs will utilize with animations and the like. At the lower level there is a pretty beautiful looking grove with a circle of all the standing stones if you're looking for convenience--I'm still the sort of sod who wants to go trucking to find them in the wild, but it's handy if you're not. Ditto shrines and daedric / talos statues to be found elsewhere in the abode--but if it helps, coming from someone who rolls his eyes whenever someone makes a 'house' that just has giant boxes with all that poo poo lying around, everything is very well laid-out such that it doesn't look ridiculous and actually feels very natural.

Some other fun bits are a sword-in-the-stone type shrine which can recharge enchanted items if you need it, several entrances that go to different places--with the front being the most entertaining. There is a broad chasm with a narrow stone bridge arching over it from the 'front door' into the rest of the place--and if you fall / jump off, you actually zone down into Blackreach and fall in, which I found to be a cute touch. The ground level door heads out to find an Imperial camp chilling out, which you can abide on the doorstep or run off / kill if it pleases you. Exiting on the upper levels, or through the 'frozen passage' takes you out to a pretty wild high-level brawl with undead and a trio of dragons; it's up to you if/when you decide to engage with all that, but they're certainly tough.

All of it basically rounds together up in the 'tower' at the peak of it, which terminates in a circular chamber with banners to the various holds and locales of Skyrim and buttons under each. This area is a portal staging area which chiefly connects you to the different player houses you can ordinarily purchase in Skyrim (though not hearthfires) as well as other places added later if you pick up the dawnguard + dragonborn add-in, as well as High Hrothgar and so forth. For most of these destinations, there is a corresponding hidden rune to find which will open a portal back to Aemer's Refuge--and from my understanding, you need to find it at said location before you can go there -from- Aemer's Refuge, as a measure to avoid accidentally breaking things by reaching destinations earlier than you're supposed to be able.

There are some other secrets I'll not delve into too much but basically there's some gear to be found which is relatively powerful (though more flavorful than game-breaking) which you can take or leave, a ghostly lady hanging about who will help you with things if you'd like--or you can tell her to buzz off if you'd rather she not be around. You can opt to get a spell to make a portal back to the refuge, or to summon said ghostly attendant--and she, as well as various sorting 'runes' throughout Aemer will automatically remove all the excess crap from your inventory and sort it if you would prefer to automate it.

All in all, it definitely has more thought put into layout and function than most of the offerings I've tooled around with and I was pretty surprised and impressed by the whole of it. I almost never gently caress around with fantastical housing on these things, but I think I'm actually going to roll with this one for a change. I'd certainly recommend giving it a tour at least if you're not sure--and if finding and exploring the secret in the forge doesn't sell you on it, maybe cannon-balling into Blackreach will.

...also another Agents are Go! recommendation. drat, man.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Recommendation for what?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Duck and burger posted:

Why do all of your characters have a lazy eye?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those Argonian pictures look like the American Godzilla from '98.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Agents are GO! posted:

Recommendation for what?

Aemer's Refuge! Unless I'm nuts and you didn't recommend it. I think I am just automatically presuming good mods I pick up from the thread lately were recommended by you.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2015

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Whizbang posted:

Why do all of your characters have a lazy eye?

I cannot believe how catty people in this thread get at me.

Since you've apparently never seen eyes before, let me help you out:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duck and burger posted:

Are those the vanilla face models or did you use a replacer? I want to make a vampire queen with supermodel looks for my next game, and the default generator doesn't go that far (for very good reasons.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GaistHeidegger posted:

Aemer's Refuge! Unless I'm nuts and you didn't recommend it. I think I am just automatically presuming good mods I pick up from the thread lately were recommended by you.

I did not. The only house mod I've really liked is TrainWiz's Fyr Manor, and that's a bit too glitchy for me to recommend in good conscience. However, now that he's back on the nexus, I sent him a message about the various bugs and he said he's gonna look into fixing them.

I'm going to check out that Stratos mod that was posted to the nexus not long ago, though. I'm a sucker for high-concept Dwemer house mods. :shobon:

My own house mod, Brelvu Manor, is just a free clone of Severin Manor, plopped down by Rorikstead.

The Asteria isn't bad either, but be sure to clean it in TES5Edit because it had like 300(!) dirty edits.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Arivia posted:

Are those the vanilla face models or did you use a replacer? I want to make a vampire queen with supermodel looks for my next game, and the default generator doesn't go that far (for very good reasons.)

I'm not aware of any face replacers. I started with whatever racial preset was the least heinously ugly and nudged poo poo around in ECE till it no longer looked like an English peat bog mummy. The facial presets are almost randomly generated in terms of the size and position ratios that Bethesda landed on, and some simple slider action can fix most of that. Their nose selection is almost deliberately unsightly as well -- that will require vertex editing in ECE to approach even conventional attractiveness. It's also important to get hair that's not vanilla-grody, but also not anime, which 80% of hair mods are.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 19, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of hair, anyone have any recommendations? Apachii just makes me bald and the ini line he says to edit doesn't exist.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of hair, anyone have any recommendations? Apachii just makes me bald and the ini line he says to edit doesn't exist.

Then add it. Apachii is okay for most people. SG and KS hair packs (which can only be found via google) have hundreds of hairs between them (though many of them are the same). You'll have to wade through a lot of anime to find a suitable 'do though.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Agents are GO! posted:

I did not. The only house mod I've really liked is TrainWiz's Fyr Manor, and that's a bit too glitchy for me to recommend in good conscience. However, now that he's back on the nexus, I sent him a message about the various bugs and he said he's gonna look into fixing them.

I'm going to check out that Stratos mod that was posted to the nexus not long ago, though. I'm a sucker for high-concept Dwemer house mods. :shobon:

My own house mod, Brelvu Manor, is just a free clone of Severin Manor, plopped down by Rorikstead.

The Asteria isn't bad either, but be sure to clean it in TES5Edit because it had like 300(!) dirty edits.

Sorry about that, I could've sworn in my head I'd heard of it from you. That being said, if you dig Dwemer stylings, you ought to check out Aemer's then and see what you think! :haw:

I think I run with like 90% of what you've suggested hereabouts.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I really should do a fully modded playthrough some day. Despite liking the game I never found the time to play beyond the monks living on that mountain.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

So I had been ignoring the HDT Physics Extension for SKSE since all it seemed to facilitate was various bouncing body part mods, but I noticed while watching a video for another that somebody's stowed gear was bouncing around... and low and behold, THIS really snazzy deal: HDT Equipment. Simply put, popping the SKSE script for HDT Physics and then using HDT equipment will have your stowed weapons, shield and quiver wobbling subtly around with your movement--it looks really goddamn cool.

Here is the demo video for it.

Two questions about your experiences with this:
1) Are you using what it's calling the "everyone" version?
2) How dumb do non-flowing capes look when used along with HDT equipment?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

GunnerJ posted:

Two questions about your experiences with this:
1) Are you using what it's calling the "everyone" version?
2) How dumb do non-flowing capes look when used along with HDT equipment?

1) HDT Equipment v.0.2e - Craftable Weapon Sling (NMM Installer)
2) Real dumb, it got me to stop using capes. I also fairly quickly disabled it handing it out to NPCs, but I still generally dig the look on my character + follower(s).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Nasgate posted:

I like Lore Styles Hair Set and Lovely Hairstyles, with Superior Lore-Friendly Hair to retexture the vanilla hairs.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

1) HDT Equipment v.0.2e - Craftable Weapon Sling (NMM Installer)
2) Real dumb, it got me to stop using capes. I also fairly quickly disabled it handing it out to NPCs, but I still generally dig the look on my character + follower(s).

Hm sounds like something I'll want to hold off on tbh, that sort of inconsistency would annoy the gently caress out of me.

In unrelated news, literally the craziest loving thing I have ever seen in Skyrim, modding, playing video games, etc. happened. I had finished my usual stress testing run and had gotten everything in a good state, so I decided to just wander around. Things got weird when I approached Korvanjund, the place you get the Jagged Crown from. The game starts stuttering a bit, not a big deal, it happens. Then it freezes, goes black, and I'm like, oh great, CTD. But it actually just minimized Skyrim for a second and then brought it back. This was odd but I could keep playing. This same thing happened with some disturbing graphics distortions flickered on the screen. Then I notice the architecture is funny in the tomb/whatever itself. Flickering thin black and purple pillars extending to the sky that can only be seen from certain angles, distorted rock geometry. I'm checking all this out when it flickers, goes black, and then my computer soft resets. Straight up POST beep, Windows starting, etc. As I'm logging in, there's more graphics glitches, then the screen goes black, so I switch it off.

This is the one screenshot I had the presence of mind to take:

Half the screen was not black at the time. You can sorta see the "purple pillar" on one side (it's more bluish here), and some weirdly stretched rocks. I don't have any idea how any Skyrim mod can do this besides just overloading my hardware, but I wasn't running any crazy graphics mods (mod list here), and the behavior seemed more like some program running than the hardware crapping out. Is this an ENB thing? I don't know but it scares the poo poo out of me. I don't even want to test this poo poo again.

edit: OK I'm not even playing the game and the same distortion just flickered on screen. AMD drivers apparently crashed and reset, what the gently caress is going on. Did I break my computer by running from Riverwood to White River Watch too many times??

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'm using the rough version of this and I like it a lot, but I'm only using vanilla hairstyles because so many of the hair mods look out of place to me. I'm kind of the same way with face mods too...it looks weird to make everyone super pretty IMO. I'm thinking about dropping the one "less ugly" face mod I'm using because it smooths everyone out a little too much and they end up looking kinda the same.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

GunnerJ posted:

edit: OK I'm not even playing the game and the same distortion just flickered on screen. AMD drivers apparently crashed and reset, what the gently caress is going on. Did I break my computer by running from Riverwood to White River Watch too many times??

When you crash in the game you crash in real life!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LtSmash posted:

When you crash in the game you crash in real life!

:stonk:

This really bums me out because I had just gotten all my various graphics mods working together at a playable framerate and then I turn the corner into some kind of eldritch nightmare glitch. Who knows where else poo poo like that might happen...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking for mods to make Skyrim as much like Dragonball Z as possible. Thanks.

By that I mean are there any particularly good hand-to-hand combat mods with martial arts and such? Having done a playthrough as a beefy Conan type and a pure mage with far too many spell mods, I'm considering a playthrough as a completely silly character that plays pretty differently to those (not stealth, gently caress Skyrim stealth).

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

This sounds like a driver crash and most likely not related to Skyrim. Back when Nvidia used to release lovely buggy drivers I used to get this all the drat time. Now they improved though so I rarely see it. I've never used AMD so you might need to reinstall your drivers or check for upgrades. Both those are usually painless to do.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

This sounds like a driver crash and most likely not related to Skyrim. Back when Nvidia used to release lovely buggy drivers I used to get this all the drat time. Now they improved though so I rarely see it. I've never used AMD so you might need to reinstall your drivers or check for upgrades. Both those are usually painless to do.

Yeah, my computers behavior so far bears this out. I can't even play skyrim for more than a minute without this same poo poo happening. The driver also crashes and restores just from minimizing maximizing windows. Whether this is related to my stress testing a 4 year old video game with some pretty water and distance lod mods I don't want to speculate but Windows Aero is too much for my graphics card now. The drivers are the same now that they were a few months ago, though, so I'm afraid the card itself may be dying.

eta: Of course, I am still going to try everything short of replacing a several-hundred-dollar piece of hardware first...

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm looking for mods to make Skyrim as much like Dragonball Z as possible. Thanks.

By that I mean are there any particularly good hand-to-hand combat mods with martial arts and such? Having done a playthrough as a beefy Conan type and a pure mage with far too many spell mods, I'm considering a playthrough as a completely silly character that plays pretty differently to those (not stealth, gently caress Skyrim stealth).

A long while ago, there was a mod that sounds kind of like what you're asking for called Arcane Fist. Not sure how it has held up, but it was pretty flashy/op and had a bunch of different options for different fist combos.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I've been playing with Requiem and have clocked in about 80 hours on my last character (Bosmer ranger) and I finally realized how loving enormous this game is. I haven't even started the main loving quest because of how hard Requiem makes Draugr (immune to sneak attacks and vulnerable only to fire and bladed silver weapons) and I've barely explored a third of the map. I've basically been hunting and brewing potions and clearing out bandit camps. I'll never get to my backlog.

Visiting and clearing every single quest and location in Fallout 3 took me about 125 hours. Am I just dreaming that Skyrim has significantly more content? It's possible that Requiem extends play time since you have to be much more careful going about things.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Bouchacha posted:

I've been playing with Requiem and have clocked in about 80 hours on my last character (Bosmer ranger) and I finally realized how loving enormous this game is. I haven't even started the main loving quest because of how hard Requiem makes Draugr (immune to sneak attacks and vulnerable only to fire and bladed silver weapons) and I've barely explored a third of the map. I've basically been hunting and brewing potions and clearing out bandit camps. I'll never get to my backlog.

Visiting and clearing every single quest and location in Fallout 3 took me about 125 hours. Am I just dreaming that Skyrim has significantly more content? It's possible that Requiem extends play time since you have to be much more careful going about things.

I've started a Skyrim playthrough 3 times (back in October 2011, September of 2012 and June of 2013 judging by my screenshot folder). Played for 839 hours in total. Haven't finished the main quest or even the DLCs yet. About to start playing again, maybe I'll succeed this time. :shepicide:

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 19, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Here's a cool looking mod that lets you use background objects as hiding places a la MGS. Haven't tried it yet but seems rather simple.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Smol posted:

I've started a Skyrim playthrough 3 times (back in October 2011, September of 2012 and June of 2013 judging by my screenshot folder). Played for 839 hours in total. Haven't finished the main quest or even the DLCs yet. About to start playing again, maybe I'll succeed this time. :shepicide:

Skyrim is the only TES game I've actually beaten. I've had Morrowind since it came out and never even finished it.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321598056

lmao, god drat. How do you install steam mods with MO? Can you?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Duck and burger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9oA-nsj4VY

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Duck and burger posted:

why use that over Uncle Sheogorath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Seconding this. The best thing about uncle Sheogorath is that you can tell whoever made it (I think it was a goon) really nailed Sheogorath's manner of speaking. I can hear the quotes in his voice.

I wish that goon author would come back and do the Dawnguard/Hearthfire/Dragonborn load screens, because the fan-made Uncle Sheogorath modules for those aren't as funny.

"Skyrim has nine holds. Four of them are chokeholds, and two of them can cause unconsciousness in less than six seconds."

• Locked thread