Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Droyer posted:

While I agree with you in regards to GGG, I'm not sure that's always true. You can, for example have a character perform heinous actions in pursuit of a noble goal, and have other characters try to stop him not because they disagree with his goal, but with his actions.

I probably worded it weirdly for purposes of general arguement. But yeah, what I mean is, grey usually means you can outright question beliefs or actions performed by parties. At least, thats how i usually see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Dinosaur Empire were also dinosaurs which means that at least half of the human population would've been down with them

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Blaze Dragon posted:

On that note, what super robot series are there that aren't black-and-white in morality? I can definitely think of the Getter Robo manga, which was one of the things I really liked about it (besides, you know, everything else), with the "good side" becoming less and less clear as the series went on, to the point that Ryoma seemed to be set entirely as the final villain of the series.

Let's see

GGG, Big O, maybe a few others I can't think off the top of my head.

Suprising a lot of Super Robot shows are actually black and black, like Getter Armageddon (can't speak for the manga) and Gurren Lagann.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

On that note, what super robot series are there that aren't black-and-white in morality? I can definitely think of the Getter Robo manga, which was one of the things I really liked about it (besides, you know, everything else), with the "good side" becoming less and less clear as the series went on, to the point that Ryoma seemed to be set entirely as the final villain of the series.

You could argue Gun x Sword.

Edit: Zearth too, inasmuch that there's a malevolent force controlling everything, but everyone else is in the samesituation as the heroes.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 19, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Very few super robot shows are white on black. It is very very rare for the hero side not to have morally ambiguous elements even when they're facing guys named Dr. Hell or Killer The Butcher.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Let's see

Suprising a lot of Super Robot shows are actually black and black, like Getter Armageddon (can't speak for the manga) and Gurren Lagann.

Again demonstrating that you don't understand the black/white/grey distinction.

Rosewaters pretty clearly evil what with happily having a stagelight fall on a bunch of poors.

The invaders are an obnoxious mass shifting version of The Thing that want to wipe out humanity because it'd be convenient.

We've covered gurren lagann and you being unfit to argue around it so just drop it already.

ImpAtom posted:

or Killer The Butcher.
Do tell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artum posted:

Do tell.

The bad guy from Zambot 3 which was hella grey, the collateral damage the heroes cause being a major plot point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artum posted:

Do tell.

A big point in Zambot 3 is that the subliminal battle-training they gave the kids is actually uncomfortable and creepy. It was a necessity to stop the invasion but it hosed them up pretty good, and the final boss has some rants about how humans are shitheads. It ends with two kids killing themselves and the third breaking down into tears over the enormity of what happened.

That doesn't change the fact Killer the Butcher is a cartoonish horrifying monster who puts human bombs into people so they explode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

You could argue Gun x Sword.

Edit: Zearth too, inasmuch that there's a malevolent force controlling everything, but everyone else is in the samesituation as the heroes.

At the very least Vaan's motivations are driven out of a personal desire rather than wanting to save the day. That he saves everyone in the process is a nice side benefit.

Kina reminds me of Luffy in that regard.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Not sure if it counts as grey but ideon was really good about presenting a really lovely situation with no clear answer for the protagonists. I mean you could argue they are the good guys because they are just trying to survive but they are doing so by feeding a horrible universe destroying machine.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Artum posted:

Again demonstrating that you don't understand the black/white/grey distinction.

Rosewaters pretty clearly evil what with happily having a stagelight fall on a bunch of poors.

The invaders are an obnoxious mass shifting version of The Thing that want to wipe out humanity because it'd be convenient.

We've covered gurren lagann and you being unfit to argue around it so just drop it already.

Sure Rosewater is evil, but what about Schwartzvald? Or how about Beck?

Yeah the Invaders and Saotome are clearly evil, but my point with Getter Armageddon is that Ryouma and Hayato are just as bad if not worse.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Evangelion too, can't believe I forgot about that one.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Getter Armageddon is that Ryouma and Hayato are just as bad if not worse.

How? You don't get to make a statement like that and not back it up.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Artum posted:

How? You don't get to make a statement like that and not back it up.

In Armageddon at least Ryouma is portrayed as some dude who just loves killing things and killing invaders just allows him to work out his desire for murder.

Hayato is just kind of a cold, uncaring rear end in a top hat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It sounds like your logic here is that intentions trump the actual actions taken, in other words.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

In Armageddon at least Ryouma is portrayed as some dude who just loves killing things and killing invaders just allows him to work out his desire for murder.

Hayato is just kind of a cold, uncaring rear end in a top hat.

Right, but how is that "just as bad, if not worse" than wanting to kill all non-invader life on the planet?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Ah right he should have been all "oh noble rear end in a top hat space parasites you vex me but I shall do what I must to save the earth!"

Ryoma is without a doubt a violent guy but considering he doesn't go around fighting people who don't need to be fought, saying that makes him as bad as horrific space aliens looking to commit... terracide(?) is frankly asinine. Doubly so for "well this guy is kind of a jerk, which is worse than literal genocide".

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
That makes them psychotic, not actively evil, and whilst the two are commonly conflated in fiction, one does not necessarily mean the other in real life - and the conflation really pisses off those mental health workers trying to do their jobs whilst dealing with the stigma.

So Ryoma and Hayato would qualify as being morally grey - of questionable morals and methods, but nevertheless of good intention (namely, stop the Invaders).

I'd say one (kinda) super robot show with some regularly distributed grey morality is Zoids, particularly in the first two seasons - albeit mostly with the empire as being a darker shade thanks to the likes of Prozen and such. Once someone more reasonable was in charge, peace came about pretty quickly (though one imagines that fighting a giant doomsday weapon helps vent frustrations).

Edit: Geez, one misplaced word throws off my intent.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

See, that's really not the definition of black and white. Black and white good vs. evil. Straight up, no compromises, knights in shining armor on one side, evil dragon wanting to burn the world to cinders on the other. Gray and grey would be if say, the dragon wanted revenge against the company of knights for murdering his mate and stealing his eggs, and the knights were simply protecting their homes and at least one of them feels pretty bad about the whole making dragon omelets thing. Ryoma's crazy, yes, and certainly Hayato's a bit of an rear end in a top hat. But they're crazy assholes who want to defend the Earth, which is a redeeming quality, and by definition, is gray/grey/whatever.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Droyer posted:

Right, but how is that "just as bad, if not worse" than wanting to kill all non-invader life on the planet?

His huge desire to murder the professor, for example.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I don't really recall the Armageddon version of Ryouma going all "I wanna fight and KILL THINGS" very much.

Hayato is still a jerk though. He always is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nah I'd say it's pretty black and white. the Getter team is right, the invaders are wrong.

Clawshrimpy posted:

tjat is in no way comparable to the genocide of an entire planet

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

In this particular version of the Professor, he kinda went batshit crazy after his daughter died in an accident and decided "Why yes, those Invaders have the right idea, let's consume the galaxy together, chums!"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
And also at that point the professor's dead and is an invader sockpuppet anyway (not that ryoma knows that)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering the poo poo you see Saotome do, it's hella understandable why someone would want him dead.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

The guy who Ryoma spent years in jail framed for the murder of showed up 1) not dead and 2) batting for the other team trying to destroy the world, its a justified response.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

Let's see

GGG is for the most part a black and white series. The antagonist are there to destroy or subjugate humanity and monster of the week don't count since they are just humans slaved to serve.

Getter Armageddon is pretty black and white as well. Ryouma and Hayato's actions while extreme and borderline crazy are still for the sake of defending humanity from the Invaders. Hayato even helps establish a defense force during the time jump. Ryouma gets Rip Van Winkled ahead in time but knows that he still has to stop Dr. Saotome and by extension the invaders.

Most super robot shows are black and white. To say something is black and black means that both sides have no redeeming motives.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I misread his original post and thought it said black and white then realized he was claiming those shows were both "black and black" and lol

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Artum posted:

Ah right he should have been all "oh noble rear end in a top hat space parasites you vex me but I shall do what I must to save the earth!"

Ryoma is without a doubt a violent guy but considering he doesn't go around fighting people who don't need to be fought, saying that makes him as bad as horrific space aliens looking to commit... terracide(?) is frankly asinine. Doubly so for "well this guy is kind of a jerk, which is worse than literal genocide".

But he and Hayato are definitely more evil and harder to root for than Go and Kei were, and it's sad their role in the story was so small.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

How is the intent to kill one man just as bad or worse than wanting to kill all humans and all animal and plant life?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Droyer posted:

How is the intent to kill one man just as bad or worse than wanting to kill all humans and all animal and plant life?

What I'm saying it's hard to see it as black and white when guys like that are the "white" side.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

But he and Hayato are definitely more evil and harder to root for than Go and Kei were, and it's sad their role in the story was so small.

They're not evil they're just kind of crazy. When all your actions are based around killing giant monsters to save peoples lives with the intention of saving the world you literally are not evil.

Clawshrimpy posted:

What I'm saying it's hard to see it as black and white when guys like that are the "white" side.

It really, really, really is not.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm not going to try to argue about what is or is not "grey" or dispute the dumb "worse than planet destroying monsters" thing but not being able to root for characters with flaws (massive or otherwise) that are trying to do something that is objectively good is hosed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no it isn't, they're fighting against a genocidal race of goo monsters, and they're not like eating dogs along the way or sacrificing humans to gor

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
eating dogs is totally something benkei would do but i don't remember if he's even in armageddon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, what you said was that Ryoma and Hayato are just as bad if not worse than the invaders. Either defend that claim or admit you were wrong, but stop moving goalposts.

Edit: spelling

Droyer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 19, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Artum posted:

Not even gonna ask.
You remember the band in the cantina on Tatooine? They're playing a musical style called "jizz wailing".

I am not making this up.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

eating dogs is totally something benkei would do but i don't remember if he's even in armageddon

He's mostly Kei's dad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zereth posted:

You remember the band in the cantina on Tatooine? They're playing a musical style called "jizz wailing".

I am not making this up.

That is extremely funny and I regret not asking, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Artum posted:

He's mostly Kei's dad.

OH yeah that's right.

I think "what!! this boy is going to grow up to be a hot babe!!" is one of my favorite silly reveals in getter

• Locked thread