Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, I don't remember if the current flashbacks were part of the manga, but I don't care as long as we see more Jiraya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Torrannor posted:

Well, I don't remember if the current flashbacks were part of the manga, but I don't care as long as we see more Jiraya!
These eps aren't terrible at least because they totally do some retcon explaining of how the villains set their plans in motion earlier in the series. Much better than the garbage filler war of the last year.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The english dub has hit some sea monster/ghost ship filler arc thing. Did ANYONE watch that? I honestly cannot remember a drat thing about that arc :psyduck:

Incidentally the Danzo vs. Sasuke fight was dubbed pretty well - Sasuke's VA was great, although I didn't really like Danzo's voice. He sounded like a nice old guy trying to sound as mean as possible.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Chirp chirp

To those of you not bothering with fillers (I know I am), the most recent bout of fillers is over, and the latest episode #362 is manga-based (even if it's STILL basically a flashback). Also the opening and ending credits have changed since we last went into filler land.

Schedule for following few weeks:

May 22 - The Allied Shinobi Forces Jutsu!
May 29 - No episode (Pokemon XY special :argh:)
June 5 - The Connected Ones

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can't wait for you theoretical anime-only watchers to experience the sheer awe that is the latest couple of chapters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hello. I have never watched Naruto or Naruto Shippuden. However, I have stumbled upon NARUTO SHIPPUDEN Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 Full Burst while searching for something in the vein of the Dragon Ball Z fighting games but on the PC as I don't have a console anymore. I really enjoyed the Budokai Tenkaichi series and I'm sure a good bit of that was due to nostalgia. Anyways, I've tried the first bit of the story mode and I am super impressed by what I'm seeing. The graphics are amazing and look almost exactly like a high-quality anime. All the poo poo going on is like some kind of weird blend of Dragon Ball Z and Fullmetal Alchemist but with ninjas.

So, I'm wondering. Would this be the time to finally watch Naruto? Does anyone know how extensive the story mode to this game actually is? Would I be better off watching the show before playing the game? Can I skip straight to Shippuden and be fine if I do decide to watch the anime?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Honestly you are better off just playing the games and absorbing the story that way.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Yeah, play the game. My only suggestion is to get Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 and play that first if you have a console. If you don't, YouTube all of the boss fights.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Seriously, it's not much of an exaggeration to call the games the definitive version of the series.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just got caught up with this anime, so pardon me for asking...

BlitzBlast posted:

I can't wait for you theoretical anime-only watchers to experience the sheer awe that is the latest couple of chapters.

Is the manga over with yet? This seems like we're near the end, but with a franchise this big, I can never tell.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just got caught up with this anime, so pardon me for asking...

Is the manga over with yet? This seems like we're near the end, but with a franchise this big, I can never tell.

Nnnnope.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2014

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So today was filler, a weird one with mecha naruto. Which i think is a thing from the games?

That was one of the better filler eps though. And next week is canon again.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Captain_duck posted:

So today was filler, a weird one with mecha naruto. Which i think is a thing from the games?

That was one of the better filler eps though. And next week is canon again.

This filler is incredible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So one of my friends on Facebook says that the Magna was ending soon. As someone who gave up on the show during the ninja war thing, is it worth catching up if there's an end in sight?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IUG posted:

So one of my friends on Facebook says that the Magna was ending soon. As someone who gave up on the show during the ninja war thing, is it worth catching up if there's an end in sight?
Even if the manga is apparently ending, the show certainly doesn't feel like it. It's felt as if the last 100+ episodes have been 90% filler with 10% "moving the story forward" content.
It's torture. Better to think the show ended after the whole Pain story arc. Pretend he became hokage and Sasuke died somewhere offscreen. The end.

I just watch out of some sort of twisted sunken cost loyalty now. If I knew I was in for 500+ episodes leading nowhere, I probably should have started One Piece instead.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

IUG posted:

Play the video games instead.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Skychrono posted:

Play the video games instead.

Or read/watch the Rock Lee spin-off!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I guess I'm the only one that thinks the ninja war is pretty cool, tons of crazy, over-the-top, often original/unique ninja moves all over the place. Just what I signed on for.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

IUG posted:

You're better of reading fanfics.

XboxPants posted:

I guess I'm the only one that thinks the ninja war is pretty cool, tons of crazy, over-the-top, often original/unique ninja moves all over the place. Just what I signed on for.
how deep the rabbit hole goes

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

I just watch out of some sort of twisted sunken cost loyalty now.

Pretty much this. I don't have a lot of anime I like that is also constantly airing, just One Piece and Naruto, and the former is still arguably interesting. Without Naruto I am left with just OP and a handful of seasonals with varying lengths of wait time between seasons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The canon arcs of the ninja war are surprisingly good. And in the manga the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist were defeated off-panel while they got a proper fight in the anime. But if you stopped reading the manga because of the bullshit story then I don't know how much you will enjoy the rest of the anime.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The recent Obito vs Kakashi fight was good, uh, check it out on youtube maybe?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah yes, the recent thing I shouldn't look at without spoiling myself. That will be easy to Google... :v:

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
It's on episode 375, but unless you watch episodes 343-345 beforehand, the whole thing will make zero sense to you. To be fair, it may make zero sense to you regardless.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Bump for FILLER. Episode 394 is starting a filler arc for the Chuunin Exam which happened during the first timeskip.

This particular filler arc had been clamored for quite a while, but now that the series is almost over, it's coming at a weird time. Though by doing it now, they can bring in some other elements which hadn't yet been introduced into the series early on though, like Fuu the Jinchuuriki from Hidden Waterfall.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I.... I might actually watch that. Thanks. Probably haven't watched an episode of this show in 3 or 4 years now.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
It really is a testament to the quality of writing in that part in the manga that the motivations and power balances are still incomprehensible, and the pacing is still intolerable, even when marathoning through the animated adaptation. I'm watching it with my wife and every other minute she starts asking something like "hey but in that case, why doesn't Madara just-" and I have to intercede with a "god, no, I don't know, I really don't".

This week, as a break from the onslaught of episodes where 1 or 2 things happen, we got a filler episode where nothing happened. "Tsunade & Gaara set up a chuunin exam, everyone except the Leaf & Sand won't show up" - there, that's the entire episode. I remember pre-shippuuden fillers more engaging than this. You knew they were going to fail to find Sasuke, but at least maybe something interesting would happen in the meanwhile. Hopefully next episode we'll get there, and it won't all be about Gaara & Temari silently setting up the registration tent while Kakashi has trouble finding a good umbrella in Rain country.

The few good points:

** The return of Neji, Asuma and the Raikage's other arm
** More of Bee being an idiot, it never gets old
** Hinata's 3-second cameo where she just stands there, thinking "hey look at me, just being inconsequential as usual, btw have you seen the latest movie? lol"
** That fraction of a second where you thought "gently caress is Kakashi going to run into Pain?"
** No Sasuke

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Please, japan. The manga is over. The brakes have been pulled. Stop adding more grease to the tracks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've watched pretty much every episode of Naruto and I think I'll just skip this last filler arc and wait until the final wrap-up canon stuff starts again.

I'm done, this show is excruciating at this point.

Time to start watching One Piece from the beginning! :suicide:

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
I'm doing the opposite. I stopped watching the anime in favor of the manga I can't remember how many years ago (I think the first season of Shipuuden). But this filler arc covers stuff that was directly implied but never fleshed out in the manga. So even if it's not technically canon, it's easy to pretend that it is, and it's new material that takes place back when the series wasn't excruciating. I'm honestly looking forward to it.

I'm only picking the anime back up for this filler arc. Once it's over, I'm done with it, other than waiting till a couple specific fights get animated, and watching edited down clips on youtube.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pringleton posted:

I'm doing the opposite. I stopped watching the anime in favor of the manga I can't remember how many years ago (I think the first season of Shipuuden). But this filler arc covers stuff that was directly implied but never fleshed out in the manga. So even if it's not technically canon, it's easy to pretend that it is, and it's new material that takes place back when the series wasn't excruciating. I'm honestly looking forward to it.

I'm only picking the anime back up for this filler arc. Once it's over, I'm done with it, other than waiting till a couple specific fights get animated, and watching edited down clips on youtube.

Well, at least the filler as of late has mostly been just expanding on things that were mentioned in the canon story so that's not too bad though. It's still kind of unnecessary at this point seeing as the manga is over and there's no need to worry about catching up with it anymore.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Amusingly this latest episode brought back Shibuki as the leader of Hidden Waterfall. He was the leader of Waterfall by the end of one of Naruto's first OAVs a decade ago. It was his only appearance in the series ever and Waterfall hasn't ever really been addressed otherwise in the series beyond Fuu being its Jinchuuriki and Kakuzu being from there.

This filler arc also appears to be addressing the origin of the second Animal Path body of Pain. One of the Rain Genin looks a lot like her and she got a lot of quick point of focus shots for some reason.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The filler is still ongoing, but 404 was a tenten episode and looks like 405 will be as well. And this ep wasn't all that bad either, it had some great moments between tenten and gai.

Also man the pace of this arc has been like the same as the original chunin exam arc. It feels like there will need to be at least 10 more eps of this before we get back to canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

The filler is still ongoing, but 404 was a tenten episode and looks like 405 will be as well. And this ep wasn't all that bad either, it had some great moments between tenten and gai.

Also man the pace of this arc has been like the same as the original chunin exam arc. It feels like there will need to be at least 10 more eps of this before we get back to canon.

This arc hasn't been terrible but is there a reason why they're suddenly going back to filler now? The manga is over so they don't have to worry about catching up anymore and they no longer have a movie to promote so why do this?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
This is an excellent question. To answer it, I must first relate to you a series of events that happened to me in junior high, most of which I was not personally there to witness

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I actually liked the Hanabi episode. The current filler episode are among the better ones in the series.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
The Hanabi episodes made sense at least because they gave more background for the movie, since Hinata kind of plays a part in it (if you really don't know the entire details about this then congratulations for successfully living under a rock). But I have no idea what purpose the current fillers are supposed to serve. I know others disagree with me on this but I really don't care about Rock Lee's deep fist-bonding with random filler character #774 or about how team 8 spent three hours being felled by giant burps and chasing a rogue Excadrill.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Larryb posted:

This arc hasn't been terrible but is there a reason why they're suddenly going back to filler now? The manga is over so they don't have to worry about catching up anymore and they no longer have a movie to promote so why do this?

My guess is money. It's been a successful merchandizing platform for over 10 years. I doubt anyone up top wants this to end so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

looking forward to Naruto GT

• Locked thread