Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

A bad deal is a dead deal is a less than diplomatic campaign against Iran. A bad deal is Iran refusing to allow inspections wherever and whenever the inspectors wish to inspect. To refuse this is to mean that Iran is hiding nuclear weapon development on military bases, as they have done in the past.

Fortunately, Israel can rely upon America to understand that the non-existance of an Iranian state is preferable to an Iranian state with nuclear weapons, for this is all that has restrained Israeli policy from appropriate military redress to Iranian aggression.

Out of morbid curiosity, are you in favor of destroying the Iranian government, or would it be preferable for every single Iranian to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Avshalom posted:

i find it improves my erotic fiction gimmick if people legit don't know what gender i am, having a male name is all part of my unconventional charm

I'm honestly disappointed by this reveal. The thought of Sharon's ghost engaging in some hot man love is much more satisfying.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm honestly disappointed by this reveal. The thought of Sharon's ghost engaging in some hot man love is much more satisfying.
see?!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

"talk dirty to me"

"babe i'm gonna take your party and run it into the loving ground"

"keep going i'm almost th-"

"HEY GUYS"

"loving kids, gently caress me dead"

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
fivethirtyeight decodes the coalition options for us:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
anyway that's your sneak peek into my ongoing knesset slashfic

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

likud-joint list-zionist union

the government nobody wants, open the blood gates :kheldragar:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
realtalk though: jokes were sometimes made, but arik never hosed or considered loving a sheep

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultramega posted:

I had exactly this conversation with some rear end in a top hat on youtube when they tried saying hamas and hezbollah weren't really democratically elected and hey hitler was elected too and yeah uh come back after you read a loving book you hayseed.

Netanyahu and Hitler both won elections amid extreme violence and open racism so i can see the similarities.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

realtalk though: jokes were sometimes made, but arik never hosed or considered loving a sheep

What if he was a sheep?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
First comments from Abbas regarding 'no-two-states'gate - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4638890,00.html

quote:

"If these things are true, it means that the Israeli government has no serious intentions to reach a peace agreement that will create two states based on the 1967 borders," he said. "We therefore will not retreat from our position to apply international law, and so it is our right to go anywhere in the world to realize our rights according to international law."

Odd that Abbas questions the validity of the reports concerning Netanyahu's statement given the media attention they've received.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Odd that Abbas questions the validity of the reports concerning Netanyahu's statement given the media attention they've received.

Palestinian commenting on Jewish media.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

First comments from Abbas regarding 'no-two-states'gate - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4638890,00.html

It seems he is questioning if Bibi was lying, not whether it was said.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

It seems he is questioning if Bibi was lying, not whether it was said.

Although Bibi is a notorious liar, this seems even more naive given Bibi's actual track record concerning the peace process. I suppose that as the head of a collaborationist regime Abbas might be more concerned about manufacturing some measure of plausible deniability.

Edit: I would also like to note that while the international media tends to interpret Bibi's statement as "No Palestinian while I'm prime minister" an equally valid interpretation would be 'No palestinian state at all if I'm reelected"

To try to provide the most accurate translation of his statement from the NRG interview (which I linked in Hebrew a couple of pages back):

quote:

If you are the prime minister, a palestinian state shall not be founded?
Correct.

And given the rest of the interview it seems like the 'no palestinian state, ever' interpretation is the more correct one.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 19, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What if he was a sheep?
he was not

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

What kind of concession are Kulanu and Shas likely to be able to extract from the Likud? According to this, they need both in order to avoid a unity coalition, and thus they can push pretty hard. No national service for Ultraothodox would probably bring Shas back, but will it also allow them to bring in UTJ? What does Kulanu actually want?

e: Is there a way that Zionist Union could bring the Joint List into a coalition if the Likud fails to secure one of their own?

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

he was not

But what if he was?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
@markknoller: After Netanyahu interview today, @mitchellreports says he "backs off opposition to Palestinian state after White House threat."

Haha, Bibi got spanked.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this is libel

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Franks Happy Place posted:

@markknoller: After Netanyahu interview today, @mitchellreports says he "backs off opposition to Palestinian state after White House threat."

Haha, Bibi got spanked.

It did what he needed it to, it got him reelected.

Avshalom posted:

this is libel

You know... hypothetically

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Haha, Bibi got spanked.

Netanyahu living up to the stereotype of middle eastern leaders saying one thing in their native tongue and another thing entirely when talking to foreign leaders, way to go Bibs.

Of course this is entirely too optimistic but one could hope that Bennet and Liberman would throw a huge hysteric fit and demand Netanyahu for public statements clarifying his position, after all Bennet did get robbed of his constituency by Netanyahu pretending to be just as 'Greater Israel' as he is.

But of course what's actually gonna happen, probably already did, is Bibi telling Bennet behind close doors that he was just lying in the MSNBC interview and Bennet will just let things slide.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
This seems too optimistic, Yesh Atid should be white and Yisrael Beitenu should be blue. I don't see Meretz sitting in coalition with YB.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Haha, Bibi got spanked.

He still doesn't believe in the two-state solution, and neither does the vast majority of Jewish voters. Not much of a spanking in my view.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Would Lieberman be pissed enough at Bibi that he wouldn't enter the coalition?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Would Lieberman be pissed enough at Bibi that he wouldn't enter the coalition?

If he isn't sufficiently pissed off at Bibi practically backstabbing him and cannibalizing his still bleeding corpse it's hard to see how such trivial matters as 'ideology' would make any difference.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i would like bibi more if he ate people

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Uhm my hebrew aint what it used to be but is this article I'm reading seriously saying that Bibi LITERALLY 'accused' the oppositiin of "carting in arabs" to vote down "real Israelis"? I am probobly late to the show with this but how is this not blatant proof of racial issues here?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AcidRonin posted:

Uhm my hebrew aint what it used to be but is this article I'm reading seriously saying that Bibi LITERALLY 'accused' the oppositiin of "carting in arabs" to vote down "real Israelis"? I am probobly late to the show with this but how is this not blatant proof of racial issues here?

Even the NYT! called out Bibi of being a racist.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

AcidRonin posted:

Every conservative candidate everywhere does this. It's nothing new. Being racist is probably what won him the election.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AcidRonin posted:

It's not like we haven't seen similar rhetoric in the US, which isn't even a nation founded on ideas of racial/ethnoreligious supremacy.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kajeesus posted:

It's not like we haven't seen similar rhetoric in the US, which isn't even a nation founded on ideas of racial/ethnoreligious supremacy.

Well now, let's not say things we can't take back.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well to be clear he never said 'real israelis', he said 'the right wing rule is in jeopardy, the arabs are voting in their masses, the leftists are bringing them in busses to the ballots'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elotana posted:

This seems too optimistic, Yesh Atid should be white and Yisrael Beitenu should be blue. I don't see Meretz sitting in coalition with YB.
You kinda missed the Joint List.

In other news, people are starting a petition / campaign / whine to have Areyh Deri (the current leader of Shas) barred from a ministerial position due to having served a prison sentence for grand larceny. Horses, barn doors etc.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

In other news, people are starting a petition / campaign / whine to have Areyh Deri (the current leader of Shas) barred from a ministerial position due to having served a prison sentence for grand larceny. Horses, barn doors etc.

I doubt he was ever likely to come a minister anyway. The people of Israel would never tolerate a criminal in their government.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I doubt he was ever likely to come a minister anyway. The people of Israel would never tolerate a criminal in their government.

true, imagine what Israel's foreign policy would be like if Avigdor Lieberman was ever actually foreign minister

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

It's not like we haven't seen similar rhetoric in the US,

The difference is who's saying it. You do hear this stuff all the time in the USA but it's generally the province of right wing media proxies, or the occasional idiot congressman in a safe seat. Mitt Romney doesn't give a get-out-the-vote speech the day before polls open to say that the Democrats are busing minorities to polling places to steal the election. At most he might have some Midwest shitkicker like Steve King say it for him. The closest he came personally was the 47% speech, which was given at a private meeting with major donors, never intended for distribution--it only went public because it was secretly recorded by one of the caterers--and was a serious and damaging mistake. When the PM of Israel says this thing directly and quite openly, and not only he doesn't pay a political consequence but he in fact probably gains some significant number of votes, there's a difference between their political spectrum and ours. Israelis and people who care about the future of Israel are right to be troubled.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Enraged by Netanyahu's rhetoric, White House officials believe Israeli-U.S. relations fundamentally changed

What would the effect be of the US withdrawing support for Israel in the UN? I don't see the purpose of providing diplomatic cover to Israel in any case, because it seems to damage world opinion of the United States while at the same time not even protecting Israel, because do the UN resolutions even do anything?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Lum_ posted:

true, imagine what Israel's foreign policy would be like if Avigdor Lieberman was ever actually foreign minister

;)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UN resolutions and esp UNSC resolutions do a lot, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OctaMurk posted:

Enraged by Netanyahu's rhetoric, White House officials believe Israeli-U.S. relations fundamentally changed

What would the effect be of the US withdrawing support for Israel in the UN? I don't see the purpose of providing diplomatic cover to Israel in any case, because it seems to damage world opinion of the United States while at the same time not even protecting Israel, because do the UN resolutions even do anything?

Obama loses Jewish support for the Democratic party, that's the effect. Obama is in over his head and has no idea what to do other than flail around with disasterous foreign policy adventurism, dipping his hand in before looking elsewhere when things don't go his way.

Obama hasn't realized that his role is to lead, and the most impactful leadership on foreign policy is conducted with an olive branch in one hand, and a nuclear first-strike in the other.

• Locked thread