Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think much of anything on the market in a tablet form-factor takes a full-sized SD card at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do we have a thread specific to tablets for reading? I am looking to buy one primarily for reading books and comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope. If you want to read books, get an e-ink ereader. If you want to read comics get a tablet with the biggest/best screen you can afford. The optimal requirements for those two activities don't *really* overlap.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think much of anything on the market in a tablet form-factor takes a full-sized SD card at this point.

My old rear end Motorola Xoom doesn't even take take a full SD card.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking to get a tablet to replace my computer (sick of lugging around a computer and a big charger around.)

I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about that. What I do need is fairly good word processing, good battery life, and the ability to stream NHL gamecenter/NHL vault. Other than that, as small/cheap as possible would be great. I am NOT looking for any apple products.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kvlt! posted:

Looking to get a tablet to replace my computer (sick of lugging around a computer and a big charger around.)

I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about that. What I do need is fairly good word processing, good battery life, and the ability to stream NHL gamecenter/NHL vault. Other than that, as small/cheap as possible would be great. I am NOT looking for any apple products.

You sure? Because an iPad Air does really well at everything you listed. You have plenty of options with word processing (Pages, MS Office, Google Docs). NHL apps work great on it. Battery life is great of course.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

You sure? Because an iPad Air does really well at everything you listed. You have plenty of options with word processing (Pages, MS Office, Google Docs). NHL apps work great on it. Battery life is great of course.

I really try to avoid Apple products, as I use a Galaxy S4/PC computer and they tend not to work with apple products as well. I feel like apple encourages you to connect with their other products if you have one of them.

That being said, I'm not entirely against it. How much is an Ipad air? Or maybe the mini? And how much storage can you get on one?

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 19, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I really try to avoid Apple products, as I use a Galaxy S4/PC computer and they tend not to work with apple products as well. I feel like apple encourages you to connect with their other products if you have one of them.

That being said, I'm not entirely against it. How much is an Ipad air? Or maybe the mini? And how much storage can you get on one?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

A refurb Mini 2 starts at $249 which is a great deal. It's almost identical to the newest Mini, with the only difference being lack of Touch ID. I don't see any Airs in the refurb store right now but that stuff comes and goes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you! My one concern would be music. I have all my music purchased on Amazon Music (and then I download it to my phone). Would I be able to do that with an Ipad or would I be forced to use Itunes?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you! My one concern would be music. I have all my music purchased on Amazon Music (and then I download it to my phone). Would I be able to do that with an Ipad or would I be forced to use Itunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amazon-music-with-prime-music/id510855668?mt=8

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Well looks like I might have to go for one of those. Thank you for all your help!

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Staples has the Ipad Mini 2 16GB new with free shipping for Rewards members (membership is free) for $249. The deal should run thru Sunday.

Thanks for the advice about my earlier question. My dad decided to go with the HP Stream and an adapter. We did look at digital photo frames, but they all needed ac power, which he wouldn't have in the woods.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

goodness posted:

Do we have a thread specific to tablets for reading? I am looking to buy one primarily for reading books and comics.

I like my Galaxy Tab S 10. The screen is perfect for comic books and the resolution is high enough for text as well.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I'm in the market for a small-size Android tablet (6-8") to replace an incredibly old (and now broken) ThinkPad Tablet. I mostly used the tablet for social media, browsing the forums and reading comics, but I'm hoping that with a jump in hardware I can actually run games without the whole system locking up.

My max budget is a hard $300, so I'm currently waffling between a used or refurbed Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (not sure how good their refurb process is, but I like the screen and also have an S4, so I'm used to TouchWiz), or a new Nvidia Shield (the specs look great, but it seems a bit bulkier than I might like). Has anyone had experience with both tablets and can recommend one or the other? Are there any other options I might want to consider?

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 27, 2015

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

I'm looking for an android tablet, to browse / read and possibly game with . I'm looking for something top end, money is not a problem .
PS got an ipad air 2 just not happy with it.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
For me, money is a big qualifier.

I'm looking for a tablet/whatever that can handle the Spotify premium app for playing music in my garage (I use an amplifier and suitable speakers). Apparently my old Google Streak isn't up to the task any longer. It has to be cheap, too, because my wife has me on a tight leash.

Thoughts?

(I don't want to play games, take pictures, or do anything with it but load and listen to the Spotify Premium and Sirius apps.)

Thanks!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

freemason9 posted:

For me, money is a big qualifier.

I'm looking for a tablet/whatever that can handle the Spotify premium app for playing music in my garage (I use an amplifier and suitable speakers). Apparently my old Google Streak isn't up to the task any longer. It has to be cheap, too, because my wife has me on a tight leash.

Thoughts?

(I don't want to play games, take pictures, or do anything with it but load and listen to the Spotify Premium and Sirius apps.)

Thanks!

I'm sure there's more to the story here but what about an iPod Touch? That or basically any modern tablet would handle those two audio programs with ease.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Define "cheap." You can get a refurbished 2013 Nexus 7 for like $120 all day. Used, probably $100

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Define "cheap." You can get a refurbished 2013 Nexus 7 for like $120 all day. Used, probably $100

Cheap? $50 or less, my wife probably won't bat an eye. It gets sketchy past that point.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

freemason9 posted:

Cheap? $50 or less, my wife probably won't bat an eye. It gets sketchy past that point.

2012 Nexus 7 would probably work and is probably $60-70 used, but a 2013 will be quite a bit nicer for not much more.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

My Nexus 10 isn't "snappy" any more and I've been thinking of upgrading. The unique aspect ratio has also become more of an annoyance than a feature. The iPad Air 2 is pretty perfect, but I'd rather stay in the Android ecosystem because it works flawlessly with my phone and browser. Has anyone had a similar experience? I want to maintain the 10+ inch size and android ecosystem while maintaining the pure android experience (probably not possible, but as close as I can get). I also appreciate hardware quality/understatedness.

The Nexus 9 has not screamed 'awesome'.

Chakron fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 29, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Xperia Z4 or Nokia N1?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chakron posted:

My Nexus 10 isn't "snappy" any more and I've been thinking of upgrading. The unique aspect ratio has also become more of an annoyance than a feature. The iPad Air 2 is pretty perfect, but I'd rather stay in the Android ecosystem because it works flawlessly with my phone and browser. Has anyone had a similar experience? I want to maintain the 10+ inch size and android ecosystem while maintaining the pure android experience (probably not possible, but as close as I can get). I also appreciate hardware quality/understatedness.

The Nexus 9 has not screamed 'awesome'.

Sorry, the best tab to get in almost any case would be the Air 2, both power wise and apps wise.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ladies & gentlemen, I present you with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-My-G-Pad-M574-7-8GB-Tablet-Black-/381196147592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c10f9b88

Is it worth the $32.99 they're asking? (As I've described earlier, this is intended for garage use only--using for Sirius and Spotify apps, hooked to a sound system.)

Thankee

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

freemason9 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-My-G-Pad-M574-7-8GB-Tablet-Black-/381196147592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c10f9b88

Is it worth the $32.99 they're asking? (As I've described earlier, this is intended for garage use only--using for Sirius and Spotify apps, hooked to a sound system.)

Thankee

Eh, couldn't know on the exact device, but it can't exactly be that great. I'd get a 2012 N7 over it personally, although for its price the 2013 N7 is still the best android tab.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

freemason9 posted:

Thankee
I can't find anything about this at all. I would at least confirm that it has Play Store access before considering it, but I'm going to be completely honest that it's worth the money to spend just a hair more for a used 2012 Nexus 7.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

If it just needs to run those 2 apps, why can't you just connect your phone to WiFi and plug it in?

I guess you can't if you don't have a smartphone or if it needs to be available when you're not around. You can use most apps on an old smartphone when it's hooked up to WiFi without having it on cell service.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I can't find anything about this at all. I would at least confirm that it has Play Store access before considering it, but I'm going to be completely honest that it's worth the money to spend just a hair more for a used 2012 Nexus 7.

Alrighty. How about this one, though?

http://www.amazon.com/ProntoTec-And...eywords=tablets

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a piece of poo poo. You're not going to find anything good for under $50. It just won't happen. Even with the extremely limited usage you want it for, cheap tablets are riddled with security issues that will never, ever get patched. I know you want to stay under $50, but for $80 you can get an HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 tablet from MS.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

It's a piece of poo poo. You're not going to find anything good for under $50. It just won't happen. Even with the extremely limited usage you want it for, cheap tablets are riddled with security issues that will never, ever get patched. I know you want to stay under $50, but for $80 you can get an HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 tablet from MS.

So is there a downside to running Windows on a tablet, vs. Android 4.x.x.?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

freemason9 posted:

1 GB isn't a lot of RAM but as long as you only want listen to music, it should probably be fine. And you'd have to web player for Sirius/desktop program for Spotify since there's no native app for either of them.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 2, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

freemason9 posted:

App selection, and the budget Windows 8.1 tablets reportedly won't have enough memory for the Windows 10 upgrade

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

App selection, and the budget Windows 8.1 tablets reportedly won't have enough memory for the Windows 10 upgrade

I don't think that's true, even phones with 512mb are supposed to get the upgrade.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

I don't think that's true, even phones with 512mb are supposed to get the upgrade.

You don't think Windows Phone 10 and full, desktop Windows 10, which will be on the tablets, might have different hardware requirements?

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
I'm seriously having a hard time deciding on a new tablet. It's come down to an iPad mini 2 or a Samsung galaxy s tab 8.4.

It's been quite a while since I've used android. I started with the T-Mobile G1 and needless to say, android wasn't exactly great back then. I used that phone for 2 years before switching to iPhones.

The Samsung is winning me over on hardware but I'm just a little hesitant due to the software. I'm not a fan of samsungs touch wiz but I've heard that nova launcher disables it (I think). It looks like cyanogen mod is available for it. I'll mainly be using it for light gaming, movies and general Internet usage.

I was thinking about picking it up at best buy. It looks like you can return it within 15 days no questions asked.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

orinth posted:

It looks like cyanogen mod is available for it.
Do not buy a tablet with the expectation that you can fix the broken software it ships with yourself. Go ahead and try it but you will almost certainly be better off with the iPad.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Is it okay to like TouchWiz? I've been using Samsung phones exclusively since the first Galaxy S came out and I'm used to it.

I've read about some of the features I'm not getting and don't think any of them are anything l really think I need.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

orinth posted:

I'm seriously having a hard time deciding on a new tablet. It's come down to an iPad mini 2 or a Samsung galaxy s tab 8.4.

It's been quite a while since I've used android. I started with the T-Mobile G1 and needless to say, android wasn't exactly great back then. I used that phone for 2 years before switching to iPhones.

The Samsung is winning me over on hardware but I'm just a little hesitant due to the software. I'm not a fan of samsungs touch wiz but I've heard that nova launcher disables it (I think). It looks like cyanogen mod is available for it. I'll mainly be using it for light gaming, movies and general Internet usage.

I was thinking about picking it up at best buy. It looks like you can return it within 15 days no questions asked.

Some of the visual badness of TouchWiz can be changed by changing the launcher to Nova Launcher or Google Now Launcher or whatever, but that by no means gets rid of all of it, as the notification drawer, lock screen, and settings won't be changed by the launcher, nor will any of the under-the-hood stuff. Don't plan to put custom ROMs on it. Android is a ton better than it used to be, and the Galaxy Tab S screen is awesome, but the iPad Mini will still win on software and apps. If the price is the same or the Samsung is more, it is very tough to recommend it over the iPad. If the Samsung costs significantly less than the iPad, then it ends up being a bit more of a decision, and you'll just have to decide whether the cost difference is enough to make up the experience/quality difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Even if this is the case, Windows 8.1 will continue to be supported for awhile, including any security updates that might come through. Somehow I doubt a no-name $30 Chinese Android tablet is going to have any support at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

You don't think Windows Phone 10 and full, desktop Windows 10, which will be on the tablets, might have different hardware requirements?

Just want to clear this up. All Windows tablets will be able to upgrade to full Windows 10. After that point, OEMs of sub-8 inch tablets will have the choice of whatever they're calling Windows RT (yes, it's not actually dead) or real deal Windows 10. There's no hard rule.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 2, 2015