Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Riso posted:

Because Germans and Goons are too drat dumb to know what a satire show is, the ZDF was forced to put out a statement.
Yeah, because satire shows never faked a video/photo/story before that was then taken as truth by a "respectable news source". You sure saw through all layers of intentional misinformation here immediately, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, because satire shows never faked a video/photo/story before that was then taken as truth by a "respectable news source". You sure saw through all layers of intentional misinformation here immediately, good job.

Who, but Varoufakis, claimed that it was a "respectable news source"? He might be excused for not knowing Böhmermann - I didn't know him before this - but he may not be excused for continuing to lie. Very bad PR management and very much fitting into the stereotype of dishonest Greeks who plunged their country and the Euro into a crisis by being a shithead liars. His best bet is that the following navel gazing by "the media" and "media experts" will distract from the fact that he lied to millions (not sure how many people watch Jauch) of people on TV.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Einbauschrank posted:

Who, but Varoufakis, claimed that it was a "respectable news source"? He might be excused for not knowing Böhmermann - I didn't know him before this - but he may not be excused for continuing to lie. Very bad PR management and very much fitting into the stereotype of dishonest Greeks who plunged their country and the Euro into a crisis by being a shithead liars. His best bet is that the following navel gazing by "the media" and "media experts" will distract from the fact that he lied to millions (not sure how many people watch Jauch) of people on TV.

you¨re not reading the post you're quoting right, try again

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

(hint: when trying to smugly dismiss people as dumb, it helps not to obviously misunderstand what you're dismissing)

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

you¨re not reading the post you're quoting right, try again

I do not see the danger of any "respectable news source" taking up the Böhmermann claim as true. Perhaps I don't read enough poo poo media, so YMMV. Unless you count the mindless swarm intelligentsia of the internet as "a respectable news source".

The only one of importance who gobbled it up like a kitten was the Finance Minister of Greece who used it to prop up his lie. And he shouldn't need a statement by the ZDF to know that he is lying.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol

you're really invested in this, aren't you

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Yeah lol

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Einbauschrank posted:

And he shouldn't need a statement by the ZDF to know that he is lying.

The ZDF statement actually doesn't say anything about which video is the true one. They just made clear that Neo Magazin Royale is a satire show.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

(hint: when trying to smugly dismiss people as dumb, it helps not to obviously misunderstand what you're dismissing)

I am sorry you're too dumb to recognize satire when it bites you in the rear end and felt insulted by my smugness.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Einbauschrank posted:

I am sorry you're too dumb to recognize satire when it bites you in the rear end and felt insulted by my smugness.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Haha

Dance, my puppets~~

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You post worse than I did at 16 yelling at cheaters on a Diablo 2 forum

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I think this is a pretty important topic, because it shows the Medieninkompetenz reigning social networks. And I think this incompetence in source criticism is an explanatory factory for the success of shitnews outlets like Russia Today or KenFM.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think this is a pretty important topic because you are demonstrating your inability to read english in a really hilarious manner

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I can't even tell who is trying to make fun of whom at this point, anymore.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the answer to both is "einbauschrank" hth

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I have no idea what you're talking about since you've been very sparse with content and very heavy with judgement and insinuations. So, share your thoughts. You may even write in German if you think you can express yourself better to me this way.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

You seem to miss Böhmermann's point by quite a bit while at the same time talking about Medienkompetenz or the lack there of. So uuuh...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bonfire Lit posted:

:hfive: 912 buddy.

Wenn du GWD bei der EloKa machst, lernst du höchstens, wie man Formulare richtig ausfüllt

Wow, how small the world is. I was serving from Autumn 2004 to Summer 2006. Also we were the literally last GWD-schmucks to get 5 months of basic training instead of 3. We learned a lot about radio communication and morse code. Which I then started to slowly forget during the rest of my stay. :shepface:

Das mit den Formularen stimmt schon, ich wurde versehentlich (Es gab da eine kleine Fehlkommunikation über meinen Bildungsstand: Die Bundeswehr dachte ich hätte Abitur gemacht, ich hatte mein Gymnasium aber nur mit theoretischer Fachhochschulreife verlassen.) als persönlicher Lakai des Kompanietruppführers ausgesucht und Formulare wurden ein wichtiger Bestandteil meiner Bundeswehrzeit nach Ende des GWD.

Glücklicherweise war mein Kompanietruppführer ein netter, etwas überdrehter Hauptfeldwebel, der mich regelmäßig auf Übungen freiwillig meldete, damit ich von der langweiligen Arbeit etwas Abwechslung bekam. Er hat sogar versucht, mir einen Führerschein zu verschaffen, weil er nicht wusste, dass mich hinter ein Lenkrad zu stecken Massenmord gleichkommt. :v:

But spending a lot of time in the woods nearly avoiding feeding spooked dear with a lead-suppository was fun, so I didn't mind those little adventures.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Einbauschrank posted:

Who, but Varoufakis, claimed that it was a "respectable news source"?
The respectable news source here is Jauch. Böhmermann is believable because respectable news sources have been punked before.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

The Real Foogla posted:

The respectable news source here is Jauch. Böhmermann is believable because respectable news sources have been punked before.

It's not about whether or not the video is real or not. But about how a tax payer funded tv station turned its show into a kangaroo court by opening up with that heavily edited gotcha clip.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
It's actually about why anybody in the world would even give a poo poo about any of this.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Varoufakis still seems to be firmly convinced that he never flipped the bird in the speech.

http://www.spiegel.de/video/varoufakis-aeussert-sich-zu-varoufake-video-video-1564023.html

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

botany posted:

It's actually about why anybody in the world would even give a poo poo about any of this.

Well, yes. But apparently a lot of people did in fact care. For a lot of reasons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pand posted:

It's not about whether or not the video is real or not. But about how a tax payer funded tv station turned its show into a kangaroo court by opening up with that heavily edited gotcha clip.

It's just GermanTV.txt.

What did you expect from people who are brazen enough to make money with ads while simultaneously collecting money from tax payers? German state television is corrupt as gently caress.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Libluini posted:

It's just GermanTV.txt.

What did you expect from people who are brazen enough to make money with ads while simultaneously collecting money from tax payers? German state television is corrupt as gently caress.

Hey, It's not that I'm shocked. I mean they did invite legit crazy person Söder to the whole thing.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pand posted:

You seem to miss Böhmermann's point by quite a bit while at the same time talking about Medienkompetenz or the lack there of. So uuuh...

Thanks, this is finally a post with content.

But since I didn't make Böhmermann's point a topic of my postings until now I am not sure how this is a fair criticism. I wasn't primarily interested in his point (besides the one he's making on the problem of discerning truth from fake and how TV shows work), I am fascinated by how this obvious piece of satire could go viral. My pet peeve are Russia Today and KenFm and other idiotic "news" channels. I am deeply troubled by how people are believing this bullshit and at the same time being sceptical about the "mainstream media". It doesn't matter whether it is ChemTrails or that a Ukrainian ground support plane shot down MH17. So Böhmermann's point wasn't relevant to me, but the fact that he struck a nerve and that he was able to create a controversy out of bullshit.

And that's why I took pains with exempting Varoufakis from this: He and his team are not from Germany so I do not think he's to blame to the same extent for not realizing this is a piece of satire. I do still blame him for sticking to his lie and I think it is - objectively - a bad move by him and the best thing that can happen to him is that it gets lost in the now ensuing discussion about Böhmermann.

Anyway, as you brought it up, there are several implicit and explicit points to Böhmermann's message. Some of which I personally find valid, others I disagree with.

E.g., there's criticism of how Jauch's team tried to confront Varoufakis with his show of the finger out of context. But I covered this one in my first post, so I don't think I missed it and the first one I noticed who criticized it was Niggemeier, a few days before Böhmermann, so it wouldn't be fair to call it "Böhmermann's point" when it already was common knowledge.

He's mocking how a finger can be a topic when you've got other problems at hand (pun intended) - I only partly agree with this because "the finger" turned into such a scandal only after Varoufakis denounced it to be "doctored". A statesman lying brazenly on TV is a big thing. I don't think Jauch intended the talk to revolve around the finger, it was rather a peg on which to hook the sad state of German-Greek relations at the moment.
Also, the fact it was taken out of context is a heavy burden on their credibility and I can understand if Varoufakis denies it in the spur of the moment, because the suggestive video might not fit with his memory. But as even now he is still sticking to his version which I think is stupid and makes a bad impression as it fits into the stereotype of the lying Greek who is considered to be one of the causes for the Euro crisis.

Also, one of his points was to make an absurd situation even more absurd. This one he handled excellently, though with help from the mindless swarm intelligentsia.

And of course there's the explicit point he's making with his lecture on how Jauch wanted "Mutti and Vati" to have something to rail against. I think he's OTT with that one (as above: I do not think this was intended to be the focus of the show). They wanted something placative, but this is how TV works and not a big master plan to humiliate poor Greece. I do not think they did it out of malice but rather as an opportunity for a member of the left radical and right populist Greek government coalition to publicly calm the waves by taking back this "finger" and to show that now that they are in charge of government they realize that populistic gestures are no longer a sensible way to handle things. They might as well have shown some of the more stupid caricatures of Schäuble etc. They chose "the finger", I think, because it is catchy and TV isn't about getting the message to smart people but to many people and because Varoufakis can't deny responsability for this one like for a caricature. Turns out: He can, by lying.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Einbauschrank posted:

They wanted something placative

"Plakativ" is a German neologism :ssh:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Also right now there is literally no way you can certainly say whether it's a fake or not. So maybe it's reasonable to not jump to conclusions until we know more.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

"Plakativ" is a German neologism :ssh:

Thanks, this is good to know.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Libluini posted:

Wow, how small the world is. I was serving from Autumn 2004 to Summer 2006. Also we were the literally last GWD-schmucks to get 5 months of basic training instead of 3. We learned a lot about radio communication and morse code. Which I then started to slowly forget during the rest of my stay. :shepface:
If you left in Summer of '06, we'll have met then - I probably signed your Laufzettel.
The 3 month AGA we got didn't cover anything about morse or radios, there was a follow-up SGA of a couple months for the select few people who were actually supposed to do any radio stuff (i.e. not me). But even my job of pushing paper in the S2 was more interesting than most of what the rest of the 1. Kompanie got to do, which was walking around doing gently caress all all day.

But it's funny how "oh, that guy has Abitur" turns into "let's have him do bureaucratic busywork" every time :v:

Bonfire Lit fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 19, 2015

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

You know what? I decided arguing with you would be going down a dark and degenerate hole considering you are linking people that retweet this piece of "Satire" with conspiracy theorists and using words like "mindless swarm intelligentsia."
You also look down on people that watch TV while you see yourself simultaneously as a defender of mass media of sorts.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't there a rule about not using miltalk acronyms and abbreviations outside the toy soldier forum? This poo poo is totally opaque to non-murderers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bonfire Lit posted:

If you left in Summer of '06, we'll have met then - I probably signed your Laufzettel.
The 3 month AGA we got didn't cover anything about morse or radios, there was a follow-up SGA of a couple months for the select few people who were actually supposed to do any radio stuff (i.e. not me). But even my job of pushing paper in the S2 was more interesting than most of what the rest of the 1. Kompanie got to do, which was walking around doing gently caress all all day.

But it's funny how "oh, that guy has Abitur" turns into "let's have him do bureaucratic busywork" every time :v:

Could very well be, even though I ended up in 4th company and I think I faintly remember 1st company being our command/logistics-company, dealing with training, command and uh logistics and crap.

Half of our company was always in Afghanistan and got rotated out regularly. I think one of the reasons I was allowed to stay as "Freiwillig länger dienender Wehrpflichtiger" was because of me, one guy more could be send into Afghanistan to do important stuff instead of being glued to the Kompanieführung.

Besides that, I remember us also being one of the last group of Wehrdienstleistende who were security-proofed by the MAD. This of course meant we would often be volunteered to guard our data centers, since normal soldiers without Sicherheitsüberprüfung were not allowed to do it. (This way I had some interesting encounters by Luftwaffe-pilots suddenly showing up after midnight with their dogs doing important stuff.)

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pand posted:

You know what? I decided arguing with you would be going down a dark and degenerate hole considering you are linking people that retweet this piece of "Satire" with conspiracy theorists and using words like "mindless swarm intelligentsia."
You also look down on people that watch TV while you see yourself simultaneously as a defender of mass media of sorts.

I know that you have misread me.

I wrote that the lack of source criticism explains both the phenomenon of people believing a satirist and the phenomenon of people believing in Putin's bullshit propaganda. I didn't claim both set of people were identical, but that they share the same want of applied source criticism. Also, I do not look down upon people who watch TV, I look down upon people who rely solely on TV to form their opinion for the reasons I wrote. I don't get why pointing out a lack of source criticism is going down a dark and degenerate hole and why defending the team of Jauch by giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not trying to get Greece kicked out of the Euro by instigating anti-Greek backlash simply because Böhmermann claims this to be their motive is such an anathema to you.

There are more fishy things going on, for example the twitter account of Varoufakis not being confirmed etc., but the main points are obvious beyond reasonable doubt, IMHO.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 19, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

I don't get why pointing out a lack of source criticism is going down a dark and degenerate hole and why defending the team of Jauch by giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not trying to get Greece kicked out of the Euro by instigating anti-Greek backlash simply because Böhmermann claims this to be their motive is such an anathema to you.
This is quite the sentence.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

This is quite the sentence.

It's a master piece combining all things you can do wrong when writing a sentence.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Honj Steak posted:

Also right now there is literally no way you can certainly say whether it's a fake or not. So maybe it's reasonable to not jump to conclusions until we know more.

Which is probably exactly what Böhmermann had in mind.

I actually tried to watch a couple of episodes zdf neo and while itis content wise exactly the kind of stuff I should dig, Böhmermann has the screen presence of wet toast. Seriously, the guy's 'moderation' sucks the fun right out off the show. Compared to say, Zirkus Halligalli, the two guys there do basically nothing but bullshitting the entire time, but they appear to have at least to have fun doing it, while Böhmermann seems to have nothing but contempt for both his audience and the show.

Also, the title is boring. Up to this point, I genuinely believed it was just another ZDF Magazin.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 19, 2015

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

e X posted:

...Böhmermann has the screen presence of wet toast. Seriously, the guy's 'moderation' sucks the fun right out off the show.

Was macht der dünne blasse Junge da? Er soll weggehen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I like Böhmermann as a tv moderator, but he's even better on radio imo.