Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009
Can you pleaseeee tell me how you got into this?
I want to do informatics. I am working to be an EPIC superuser and I've been told that's the "first step," but then what??! Is there a point in getting the Master's degree?

Hughmoris posted:

Nursing informatics here, working in a medium size hospital. Background is bedside med-surg and ICU. There is zero stress for me. Monday-Friday 8-430 and it's no biggie if I have to leave early or come in late as long as the work gets done. When it gets boring from time to time, I just go walk the floors and am reminded of how good I have it. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nursing students, a question for you all:

How many of your professors have a PhD background? I was talking with my advising committee regarding "future options" with my endeavor into a PhD, and I've been getting mixed signals regarding what degree/experience nursing schools want with their faculty members.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MurderBot posted:

How many of your professors have a PhD background? I was talking with my advising committee regarding "future options" with my endeavor into a PhD, and I've been getting mixed signals regarding what degree/experience nursing schools want with their faculty members.

At my community college I think there was only one or two.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Yeah, the Dean of Nursing has a Ph.D, and I think the Dept. Chair? Other than that its all MSNs and BSNs with a background in Critical Care.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

MurderBot posted:

When I was in school there were only a few with doctorates. All the classroom instructors had their masters and so did a few clinical instructors. Most of the clinical instructors had their bachelors and also still worked at the bedside.

Where I live now the colleges (both private and community) require a masters to do classroom teaching, and to apply for clinical instruction they prefer people to be going back for their masters, but they will take BSNs with five years crit care background.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hm, that's what I was figuring. My advising committee was telling me that PhD nurses were like finding the golden egg laying goose, but from what I've seen most universities want DNP certified profs so they can educate their DNP students.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
At my university it was 80%. They still got paid poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

What's "paid poo poo" in your books? I'm fine with making less money to do research, have weekends/summers/christmas off

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
If you aren't making $100k with a PhD that's poo poo. As PhD's are generally harder to get then clinical doctorates and most nursing clinical doctorates should put you at $100k+.

Of course as a counter point general Nursing PhD's are retarded though as general nursing is retarded.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
I have a question for my new grad resume. I'm listing my clinical rotations, but should I list what kind of work I did on the floor? If I list the hospital and the unit, it should give a clear idea of what I did on the floor. So now I don't know if I should list more of my work experience which all of it is non-healthcare related, but it's strong in customer service skills, prioritizing, and performance driven. Or should I make a section for technical skills and list all the nursing stuff I've done, but I feel like that's pointless because I've only done what every other nursing student has done with things like suctioning a trach or giving meds.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I liked new grads who had experience in other fields, especially customer service fields. I usually ended up asking questions related to their other job: "what did you enjoy most about that career, tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer" etc etc. People who had positive attitudes about it like "omg I totes loved selling cellphones to assholes at Best Buy" usually had the attitude I liked to see, rather than "I hate people but I did it so I could pay for booze."

I wouldn't really list any skills you did in nursing school because it's known what skills you have when you graduate. Unless you performed brain surgery or someone taught you how to read X-ray/CT scans.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 15, 2015

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

MurderBot posted:

I liked new grads who had experience in other fields, especially customer service fields. I usually ended up asking questions related to their other job: "what did you enjoy most about that career, tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer" etc etc. People who had positive attitudes about it like "omg I totes loved selling cellphones to assholes at Best Buy" usually had the attitude I liked to see, rather than "I hate people but I did it so I could pay for booze."

I wouldn't really list any skills you did in nursing school because it's known what skills you have when you graduate. Unless you performed brain surgery or someone taught you how to read X-ray/CT scans.

Thanks for the response, this helped a lot.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
A girl in my program was going around checking dilations on the LD floor, and ended up spotting a twist of umbilical cord sticking out into the vagina.

Luckily she remembered that this is a Big Bad Thing, stuck her hand up there to provide support for the baby, and hollered for help until a nurse and doc came running.

Baby was delivered just fine (csec I think) and classmate got major kudos from faculty and staff.

Kinda hard to tell that story in a resume tho. Hopefully her references mention it/she drops it in an interview.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Usually during the interview they will ask something about going above and beyond or giving an example when you had to think fast, there is usually a question where you can fit in a story about how you did a good thing. Stories are better for interviews rather than resumes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Wish I had stories like that myself.

I always make a great impression with patients, but haven't had any opportunities for going "above and beyond".

Well I mean I downloaded a speak and spell translation app so I could chat with an old Russian lady in a nursing home. She seemed pretty over the moon about that!

Risky
May 18, 2003

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

Can you pleaseeee tell me how you got into this?
I want to do informatics. I am working to be an EPIC superuser and I've been told that's the "first step," but then what??! Is there a point in getting the Master's degree?

I'd like to know this as well. I finish up my RN this year after being an LPN for 6 years. After I get more experience I'd like to branch out into something like this since I have a good background with computer systems.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
farts

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

E. Coli farts at that.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I just finished my seventh 12 hour shift in a row, three more to go. Out of the ten, six are overtime.

:getin:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

I just finished my seventh 12 hour shift in a row, three more to go. Out of the ten, six are overtime.

How is that legal?

e: 10 12s in a row, not the tons of overtime

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

How is that legal?

e: 10 12s in a row, not the tons of overtime

If the hospital is short staffed and you volunteer to work, you could work 100 12s in a row if you wanted to. There was a period of time where our ICU was super busy and horrifyingly short staffed so people would be doing multiple 16 hour shifts all in a row. The paycheck is nice in your head until it arrives and you find out how much went to taxes.

Filling a short term need tends to take priority rather than planning for long term solutions when it comes to hospital administration, you will come to find.

E: phone typing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

If the hospital is short staffed and you volunteer to work, you could work 100 12s in a row if you wanted to. There was a period of time where our ICU was super busy and horrifyingly short staffed people would be doing multiple 16 hour shifts all in a row.

Filling a short term need tends to take priority rather than planning for long term solutions when it comes to hospital administration, you will come to find.

I feel like the sleep debt might have a negative impact on patient outcomes, which would affect the hospital's bottom line.

But I'm still just an outsider looking in for now, so I don't know jack.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

my hospital has a 'fatigue policy' where we're only allowed to work five 12s in a row before we have to take a day off, but this is in Canada where employers give the tiniest bit more of a poo poo about their workers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

otter space posted:

my hospital has a 'fatigue policy' where we're only allowed to work five 12s in a row before we have to take a day off, but this is in Canada where employers give the tiniest bit more of a poo poo about their workers.
So does mine, but they'll waive that if they really need to for staffing. Its 5 12s in any given 7 day period for us.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

I feel like the sleep debt might have a negative impact on patient outcomes, which would affect the hospital's bottom line.

But I'm still just an outsider looking in for now, so I don't know jack.

No, you're absolutely right. There are so many studies about burnout or hours worked or whatnot and poor patient outcome. A hospital will take nurses working overtime during busy days rather than hire more FTEs to ensure better staffing levels in the future. It's not like they are unaware of the evidence and better practice, but hiring more nurses is an upfront cost of thousands of dollars. Orienting one new nurse to ICU costs something like $40K. I could talk about this forever but bottom line is, sometimes what is important to nurses (and therefore patient care at the bedside) doesn't jive with administration's plans and The Budget.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Speaking of orienting to ICU, its looking more and more likely that my most-likely opportunities for the New Grad residency are going to be either the ICU or Acute Care Oncology.

I'm having trouble deciding which of those would be the "best" choice should I get the job offers.

ICU obviously has more critical patients, more going on, and thus more stress (except apparently ICU night shifts are chill?), however it also seems like, should I cut the mustard so to speak I will be better prepared faster for more advanced roles down the road. Since my goal right now is to work as an NP, this seems pretty relevant.

On the other hand, Acute Care Oncology certainly presents its own set of challenges, as well as its own set of learning experiences. In addition, one of my classmates just accepted a job in this unit, so having a familiar face around would be nice.

As more experienced nurses, what are your thoughts? I know people say jumping straight into the ICU can be brutal, however this is a new grad residency placement, and speaking with the first round interviewer they are definitely more focused on critical thinking skills and willingness to learn/jump in than in my current skills/knowledge. Part of me thinks its better to jump into the deep end while they're offering the floaty-wings.

OTOH, as I said above, Oncology might be safer, equally interesting, and I know someone.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

Speaking of orienting to ICU, its looking more and more likely that my most-likely opportunities for the New Grad residency are going to be either the ICU or Acute Care Oncology.

I'm having trouble deciding which of those would be the "best" choice should I get the job offers.

ICU obviously has more critical patients, more going on, and thus more stress (except apparently ICU night shifts are chill?), however it also seems like, should I cut the mustard so to speak I will be better prepared faster for more advanced roles down the road. Since my goal right now is to work as an NP, this seems pretty relevant.

On the other hand, Acute Care Oncology certainly presents its own set of challenges, as well as its own set of learning experiences. In addition, one of my classmates just accepted a job in this unit, so having a familiar face around would be nice.

As more experienced nurses, what are your thoughts? I know people say jumping straight into the ICU can be brutal, however this is a new grad residency placement, and speaking with the first round interviewer they are definitely more focused on critical thinking skills and willingness to learn/jump in than in my current skills/knowledge. Part of me thinks its better to jump into the deep end while they're offering the floaty-wings.

OTOH, as I said above, Oncology might be safer, equally interesting, and I know someone.

It makes a big difference if you're being offered an ICU job that caters to new grads.

I've never experienced going through a new grad program or even working for a hospital that offers them. When I replied before about going straight to ICU, I assumed it meant starting the position and receiving essentially the same orientation anyone else would regardless of prior experience. That would be very tough for a newbie.

Anyway, they are offering you orientation to ICU specifically for brand new nurses, and that's great news and would probably make it way less brutal than it would be otherwise. It then really depends on your long-term goals. Did you have any interest in oncology prior to applying? If you want to be an NP, may as well get your critical care experience started, especially if you like the thought of working in that kind of environment.

In general NOC shifts in ICU are more relaxed than day shifts, but you're still caring for critically sick people. It tends to be nicer than days because doctors aren't around writing orders and hopefully family has gone home by then. However, NOCs can suck just as hard, if not harder than days if it's One Of Those Shifts since you are essentially running the show yourself. It just depends. Do you have a choice of shifts? Do you know what you would prefer?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

It makes a big difference if you're being offered an ICU job that caters to new grads.

I've never experienced going through a new grad program or even working for a hospital that offers them. When I replied before about going straight to ICU, I assumed it meant starting the position and receiving essentially the same orientation anyone else would regardless of prior experience. That would be very tough for a newbie.

Anyway, they are offering you orientation to ICU specifically for brand new nurses, and that's great news and would probably make it way less brutal than it would be otherwise. It then really depends on your long-term goals. Did you have any interest in oncology prior to applying? If you want to be an NP, may as well get your critical care experience started, especially if you like the thought of working in that kind of environment.

In general NOC shifts in ICU are more relaxed than day shifts, but you're still caring for critically sick people. It tends to be nicer than days because doctors aren't around writing orders and hopefully family has gone home by then. However, NOCs can suck just as hard, if not harder than days if it's One Of Those Shifts since you are essentially running the show yourself. It just depends. Do you have a choice of shifts? Do you know what you would prefer?

re: Shifts, new grads are on a rotating shift. That I was OK with that was literally the 2nd thing they asked in the phone interview after "when do you graduate?"

As for my interests, that's a tricky question. I love learning pretty much anything. With regard to Oncology, I hadn't really thought about it. I hadn't really thought about any of the departments I'd like to work in, becuase I've been so busy just trying to finish school lol. I definitely have some interest, as I have several family members who are cancer survivors. Also, again, the idea of having a familiar face among my coworkers is comforting since this whole concept of not being a retail drudge anymore is intimidating.

ICU is very intimidating to me, but it also feels like maybe it'd be the "better" choice, in terms of becoming the best nurse I can be. A friend of mine's mom is an RN, and she started in the ER. She was the only new grad they took there (not a residency program), and she said that difficult placements like ER and ICU will test you, but that she feels she became much more skilled quicker than her classmates who went to Med/Surg.

The new grad residency program is hospital (system) wide, HR lady said that they are strongly encouraging ALL units to accept new grads. The only ones that do not are, AFAIK, ER, L/D, NICU, and Peds. Everything else is based on whether the managers of each unit like your application.

That being said, I do not know much about the specifics of the residency, such as how "tailored" it is to your unit. I know it is 12 months, it has some classroom time, they will pay for the Kaplan NCLEX prep course (you start immediately following graduation, before NCLEX testing), and that's all I know.

Its with VCU in Richmond, VA, if any goons have any experience there.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Always take ICU first as a new grad especially if a residency/preceptorship opportunity arises. Getting into ICU as a non-newgrad nurse without ICU experience is tough because think like a manager why the gently caress wouldn't you just higher the applicant with ICU experience? At least with the new grad you can mold them. Then on down the line you have that experience on your resume even if you leave it to try something else you can go back.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

Always take ICU first as a new grad especially if a residency/preceptorship opportunity arises. Getting into ICU as a non-newgrad nurse without ICU experience is tough because think like a manager why the gently caress wouldn't you just higher the applicant with ICU experience? At least with the new grad you can mold them. Then on down the line you have that experience on your resume even if you leave it to try something else you can go back.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll have to see which units call me in for interviews and when. My classmate that just accepted the job in Oncology said that they don't tell you which units are "considering" you; you won't know until they decide to call you. It may be that Oncology/Med-Surg/whatever calls me in first, and I have to decide whether or not to take the job I'm being offered, or hope that the ICU extends an offer.

Honestly, I don't know if they will or not. The HR lady specifically asked me which units I was interested in, and I mentioned ICU, citing my critical thinking skills and interest in problem solving/ putting pieces of a case together (things I've done in our Simulations quite well), however my GPA is a 2.75, which isn't as impressive as it could be.

Of course if they graded like every other college where an 80 is a B, I'd have like a 3.15-3.2 :argh:

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Annath posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I'll have to see which units call me in for interviews and when. My classmate that just accepted the job in Oncology said that they don't tell you which units are "considering" you; you won't know until they decide to call you. It may be that Oncology/Med-Surg/whatever calls me in first, and I have to decide whether or not to take the job I'm being offered, or hope that the ICU extends an offer.

Honestly, I don't know if they will or not. The HR lady specifically asked me which units I was interested in, and I mentioned ICU, citing my critical thinking skills and interest in problem solving/ putting pieces of a case together (things I've done in our Simulations quite well), however my GPA is a 2.75, which isn't as impressive as it could be.

Of course if they graded like every other college where an 80 is a B, I'd have like a 3.15-3.2 :argh:

I think most health science departments in most universities and colleges have the tougher grading scale. Not sure if it's a part of being accredited or general malice.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Roki B posted:

What's up overtime buddy. Just finished 7 in a row, having today off, then back in for another 10.

Also, I would shoot myself if I had to work on my Oncology floor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

Why? I'm eager for as much information as possible before I go in for the interviews.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

Why? I'm eager for as much information as possible before I go in for the interviews.

Because of the patient to nurse ratio. I think at my hospital it is 6-7 patients to one nurse on oncology. On neuro ICU it is 2:1 unless they are super critical then it is 1:1. I like having my critical patients and learning about what their diagnosis is, what their treatments are, and learning from them. I find that when you are working with a lot of patients on a shift, you just don't get to experience that as you are too busy running around trying to pass meds, and help people go to the bathroom, feed them, etc.

To be honest, if you are offered multiple positions, ask to shadow on the floor. When I was interviewed, I was offered a position in the OR, ER, or neuro ICU. And I was able to shadow in all three units so that I could get a feel for them. I quickly found out that I did not like the ER at all even though it was a position I was applying around for.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I sleep eight hours a day between shifts, no fatigue no problem.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Etrips posted:

What's up overtime buddy. Just finished 7 in a row, having today off, then back in for another 10.

drat. That is legit. Good luck and may gay satan have mercy on your soul.

Also people complaining about taxes on overtime irritate me. At least when they do it at work.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Roki B posted:

drat. That is legit. Good luck and may gay satan have mercy on your soul.

Also people complaining about taxes on overtime irritate me. At least when they do it at work.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "If I pick up another shift, I'll actually LOSE money!" I don't suggest trying to explain our tiered tax system and how it balances out at the end of the year to co-workers, though. I usually just get a blank look and them repeating "LOSE money!"

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "If I pick up another shift, I'll actually LOSE money!" I don't suggest trying to explain our tiered tax system and how it balances out at the end of the year to co-workers, though. I usually just get a blank look and them repeating "LOSE money!"

This is testament to the low critical thinking required for the degree.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 20, 2015

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

"I don't wanna give tax money to Obama so he can take away our guns" :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Roki B posted:

This is testament to the low critical thinking required for the degree.

I got severe props for my critical thinking skills for not giving the ordered insulin. Dude's glucose was 122, I was supposed to give 20 units of Humalog and 100 units of Lantus. Nope, don't wanna push D50.