Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Doronin posted:

I just caught up with Tuesday's episode last night. I'm pretty intrigued by the "Real S.H.I.E.L.D." thing, but as everyone else here, I need more Inhuman stuff. Or hell, even the weird band of misfit genetics disasters would be fun to follow.

Although knife fingers lady was bothering me because the scalpels struck me as being pointed the wrong way. Aside from that, her surgical decision was pretty stupid. I also found it funny that the "guy who used to use weird steroids" or whatever was completely useless. He contributed nothing to the group.

All that said, I'm going Fitz builds some stuff for Skye to use to harness her powers more effectively.

Hey he bent the bars so they didn't have to climb over the gates, just squeeze through the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Can someone explain the "SHIELD is gone" thing to me?

I was here for the Barry Convex episode, but not for that one.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

The Sharmat posted:

SHIELD was dismantled and exposed in the motion picture Captain America: Winter Soldier due to massive HYDRA infiltration being exposed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
But SHIELD isn't gone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Sharmat posted:

But SHIELD isn't gone.

I love that speech Coulson gives in the snow right after Winter Soldier. He's a company man trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dan Didio is a lazy troll and idiots keep responding to his posts for some reason. That's all there is to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whelp, Raina might not be long for the show as Ruth Negga has just been cast as one of the leads on AMC's Preacher. Interestingly enough she'll be playing Tulip.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Martout posted:

Probably this yeah. It's also quite plausible in that SHIELD was a gargantuan organisation and that there'd be more players than Coulson looking to restore it. The writers have earned my trust this season so it'll probably be good too and no show suffers from having Olmos in it.

I REALLY do want more Inhumans stuff though! The show is firing on all cylinders atm but Blindcrawler & Co. are more interesting and fresh than the spy-stuff :)

I think it might actually a good intentioned splinter of SHIELD that blames Fury for how bad things got and don't believe his right hand man is the best choice to redeem the organization.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Cover art for the next episode:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Whelp, Raina might not be long for the show as Ruth Negga has just been cast as one of the leads on AMC's Preacher. Interestingly enough she'll be playing Tulip.

Is Tulip the main love interest or her friend? I can't remember which one.

If the former Jesus she plays characters that get the short end of the stick in life.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Is that ward or fitz

Looks like lovely fan art lol

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Ward and mask lady?

Two(three?) new characters?

Maybe Ward, Mask Lady, and Agent Daisy Sue Poots

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

Ward and mask lady?

Two(three?) new characters?

Maybe Ward, Mask Lady, and Agent Daisy Sue Poots

Its Fitz and skye since he still has the bandage from the glass when he found out her secret.

edit: nm, that's her non-colored hand.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's the blue-outlined character's hand, not a bandage.

It's Ward with Agent 33, wishing/fantasizing/hallucinating that it's Skye.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Maybe Ward managed to get in with this new Shield.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Agent Daisy Sue Poots

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Is Tulip the main love interest or her friend? I can't remember which one.

If the former Jesus she plays characters that get the short end of the stick in life.

Tulip is the main love interest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

VDay posted:

That's the blue-outlined character's hand, not a bandage.

It's Ward with Agent 33, wishing/fantasizing/hallucinating that it's Skye.

Yeah, that's Annie Wu doing that art, she's great (read Hawkeye), and it's definitely Ward and 33.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Dan Didio is a lazy troll and idiots keep responding to his posts for some reason. That's all there is to it.

I don't think he's a troll. He just likes to simultaneously, confusingly apply and dismiss deep analysis of stuff that doesn't deserve it. Like this show, and Mass Effect.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

PunkBoy posted:

Cover art for the next episode:

Man I'm getting creeped out by Ward in that artwork.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure we're supposed to find Ward immensely creepy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just love how he's so loving nonchalant when he does that. :allears:

Zebulon posted:

It seems like you did miss a scene at the very end. Reader (I think that's his name? Blind Nightcrawler with the fun teleportation SFX) comes into a room that's been torn to poo poo where Cal is being kept, asks him if he's done, then tells him that he's being annoying and drawing too much attention when Cal asks why the hell they dragged him off instead of taking Skye to help her out. Also explicitly calls him out as a science experiment and not an Inhuman or otherwise related to them. General implication is that they've been aware of Cal for a while (and vice-versa) and aren't terribly enthused with his eagerness. Or, you know, his craziness.

At the end, Reader said that the Inhumans Big Boss wanted to see Cal, and Cal puts on his suit jacket, and slowly walks out of the room, looking like a schoolboy on his way to the principal's office. Thet camera doesn't move, so as he gets closer, it's focused on the black of his jacket, and that's how they fade to black.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We don't know if that guy is the Reader yet. He's only been called Gordon so far. And besides the being blind thing (which is doubtful even without eyes as he seems to be able to see fine) the only other thing he has in common with the comic character is that he is an Inhuman.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

We don't know if that guy is the Reader yet. He's only been called Gordon so far. And besides the being blind thing (which is doubtful even without eyes as he seems to be able to see fine) the only other thing he has in common with the comic character is that he is an Inhuman.

I thought the comic book character looked after new Inhumans, which this guy seems to maybe be doing? I haven't read the new series.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Entertainment Weekly article about the cover. Probably should have included it in my previous post.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/19/agent-ward-returns-new-agents-shield-art

The two women are supposed to be the different aspects of Agent 33.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

I will never let Dan Didio forget how dumb he sounded when he asserted that S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone. It was a dumb thing to say.

There are maybe even two S.H.I.E.L.D.s at this point, even?

OB_Juan posted:

Agent Daisy Sue Poots

THAT'S KIND OF HER NAME!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

XboxPants posted:

I thought the comic book character looked after new Inhumans, which this guy seems to maybe be doing? I haven't read the new series.

Oh, he could still very well be The Reader. The comic character doesn't have a long history, but from what we've seen of him so far he basically was kind of a tracker for hire that would sell Inhumans to the highest bidders. That is until one of the bidders wanted a certain one with bad intentions and he decided to help out. But I've seen nothing that really convinces me completely yet that he is. Especially since The Reader is a character that debuted just a little bit before this season started and if it was really that character history has told us that Marvel would probably want to make the character line up with the live action version much more, especially for a new character like this. I think we'll need to get a better read on exactly what the extent of Gordon's powers really are before we know for sure. Reader's name comes from the fact that his powers come from reading which is why he was blinded.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Deadpool posted:

I think we'll need to get a better read on exactly what the extent of Gordon's powers really are before we know for sure. Reader's name comes from the fact that his powers come from reading which is why he was blinded.

:v:

I think Real SHIELD will have good intentions too but perhaps be more militaristic or draconian in some fashion to make for antagonism with Coulsons SHIELD.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PunkBoy posted:

The two women are supposed to be the different aspects of Agent 33.

Ohhhhhhh, I see the double image now. I was parsing that wrong and getting very visually confused.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the most likely scenario is that the SHIELD producers said something like "We're going to have a blind Inhuman on the show this year that introduces us to that world" and someone at Marvel told Soule to create blind one in the comics since he's making a ton of new ones in his book. I find it rather unlikely that the writers of this show decided to base what looks to be an integral character on the show on a comic character that had been created maybe a month or two before that episode was even filmed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I think the most likely scenario is that the SHIELD producers said something like "We're going to have a blind Inhuman on the show this year that introduces us to that world" and someone at Marvel told Soule to create blind one in the comics since he's making a ton of new ones in his book. I find it rather unlikely that the writers of this show decided to base what looks to be an integral character on the show on a comic character that had been created maybe a month or two before that episode was even filmed.

Yeah that seems like something that would happen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

XboxPants posted:

Yeah that seems like something that would happen.

It doesn't really matter in the end because Gordon looks to be cool so far in the show and The Reader is a pretty great character in the book, so win-win regardless of which is the chicken or the egg.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Deadpool posted:

So with knowledge that Marvel would never do this:

Could they stop making the X-Men comics altogether and just create hilarious knockoffs and call them "Inhumans"? Do we know for how long Fox has the X-Men(/Fantastic Four?) license? Not that Fox needs the comics around to keep making movies, but it would be funny.

Actually, knowing nothing of the Inhumans, it looks like they originally appeared in Fantastic Four? I don't understand how licensing works. I'm still not clear how Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch get to be in the Avengers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I will never let Dan Didio forget how dumb he sounded when he asserted that S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone. It was a dumb thing to say.

Yes but why did he say that? What was the context?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

It doesn't really matter in the end because Gordon looks to be cool so far in the show and The Reader is a pretty great character in the book, so win-win regardless of which is the chicken or the egg.

I agree totally. Reader's comic powers are probably too hard for the Agents of SHIELD team to manage, but what they came up with for him instead looks really freakin' great.

(also my post probably sounded sarcastic, I really was being honest, I think your idea makes sense)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

myron cope posted:

So with knowledge that Marvel would never do this:

Could they stop making the X-Men comics altogether and just create hilarious knockoffs and call them "Inhumans"? Do we know for how long Fox has the X-Men(/Fantastic Four?) license? Not that Fox needs the comics around to keep making movies, but it would be funny.

Actually, knowing nothing of the Inhumans, it looks like they originally appeared in Fantastic Four? I don't understand how licensing works. I'm still not clear how Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch get to be in the Avengers.

It's more about what book you're more associated with than what book you first appeared in. Even though Inhumans appeared a number of times in Fantastic Four they're pretty much their own thing. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have been Avengers characters for most of their publication history. But being Mutants they frequently get dragged into to X-Men stuff as well.

I have no doubt that there's legal contracts somewhere in some office desk that were signed years ago explicitly stating which character each of these studios can use, why they can use them, and to what extent they can use them. That kind of minutiae is exactly the kind of poo poo lawyers and comic book people live for.

The fact that some interns probably spent weeks of their lives going through hundreds upon hundreds of X-Men and Spider-Man and Avengers and whatever other comics and managed to track exactly how much time these characters spend as part of one franchise or another in order to ascertain rights usage in films amuses me to no end.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 20, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want those interns jobs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XboxPants posted:

(also my post probably sounded sarcastic, I really was being honest, I think your idea makes sense)

Everything sounds sarcastic on the internet. Including this statement.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Deadpool posted:

It's more about what book you're more associated with than what book you first appeared in. Even though Inhumans appeared a number of times in Fantastic Four they're pretty much their own thing. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have been Avengers characters for most of their publication history. But being Mutants they frequently get dragged into to X-Men stuff as well.

I have no doubt that there's legal contracts somewhere in some office desk that were signed years ago explicitly stating which character each of these studios can use, why they can use them, and to what extent they can use them. That kind of minutiae is exactly the kind of poo poo lawyers and comic book people live for.

The fact that some interns probably spent weeks of their lives going through hundreds upon hundreds of X-Men and Spider-Man and Avengers and whatever other comics and managed to track exactly how much time these characters spend as part of one franchise or another in order to ascertain rights usage in films amuses me to no end.

I have looked for an article or something somewhere that goes into detail on the licensing of Marvel comics for movies/tv. I guess there's just too much info that we'll never have (unless it gets leaked like the Sony stuff!) to get an accurate picture of it. I know there was something about if they don't make a movie in <X> years the rights go back to Marvel, which is what happened with...Punisher? Something. Were the contracts "as long as you keep making movies, have the rights forever!"?

These are dumb questions that for some unknown reason I would love to have the answer to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Everything sounds sarcastic on the internet. Including this statement.

I know. :negative:

• Locked thread