Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

ty reminded me to get around to watching that show tonight

:rip: pr0zac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nineteen taxi companies sued Uber Technologies Inc. in federal court in San Francisco today, accusing the transportation network company of false advertising when it claims it has “the safest rides on the road.”

The lawsuit alleges San Francisco-based Uber’s website and blog advertisements are false and misleading because its driver background checks and training are less rigorous than those of taxi companies.

The claims in the federal lawsuit are similar to those in a state court case filed against Uber in San Francisco Superior Court in December by district attorneys George Gascon of San Francisco and Jackie Lacey of Los Angeles County on behalf of the people of California.

But while the district attorneys’ suit emphasizes alleged harm to the public, the new lawsuit cites harm to taxi companies.

The lawsuit contends the alleged false advertising has cost taxi companies lost profits, lost drivers, decreased value of shares, reduced number of cabs in service and “significant reputational harm.”

It alleges, “Uber’s false and misleading advertisements convince customers that UberX offers a safer ride than plaintiffs’ taxi cabs. Accordingly, as a result of these representations, customers opt for taking UberX rides instead of taxi cab rides with plaintiffs.”

The lawsuit claims Uber’s background checks of drivers are less rigorous than taxi companies’ because they don’t track crimes committed after an initial background check.

Uber also doesn’t require drivers to take a safety training course or a written examination, unlike taxi companies, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims Uber is violating the federal Lanham Act, which bars false advertising, and California’s False Advertising Law and Unfair Competition Law. It seeks an injunction again Uber and financial compensation for the taxi companies.

The plaintiff companies include San Francisco-based Royal Taxi and Citywide Dispatch and 17 other firms based in Southern California.

Uber spokeswoman Eva Behrend said in a statement, “This frivolous lawsuit is simply without merit.

“As riders across the country know, Uber’s multilayered driver screening includes county, federal and multistate checks, and the rating system and traceability of the Uber platform gives riders and drivers unprecedented transparency,” she said.

“This lawsuit was filed by an industry that for decades has ignored the safety of riders and drivers,” Behrend said.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I guess all of their lawyers are so busy responding to existential legal threats that they didn't have time to check the brand new intern's babys first ad copy?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

isn't that advertising 101, don't claim things that aren't true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Luigi Thirty posted:

well, probably only if they're provably untrue

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

nothing that can be read as a verifiable statement of fact unless you're able to footnote it, even if you won't be putting the footnote in the copy itself.

in this case, claims of being the safest option would need to be backed up with some fairly solid metrics on drivers, incidents, training, etc. at the very least a commissioned report from some third-party consultant.

i kind of want to submit an amicus curiae on behalf of the plaintiffs that comprises little more than quotes from uber driver forums where they discuss hiding guns and knives everywhere and making sure they can kill their passenger at a moment's notice

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i remember reading something long ago about "parity" in advertising. it used toothpaste as an example - that every toothpaste w/ fluoride is considered pretty much equally capable of fighting cavities, therefore anybody can claim in ads that their toothpaste is "the best" because it's, you know, tied for first. or something. idk if that was all just stupid bullshit though

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

duTrieux. posted:

nothing that can be read as a verifiable statement of fact unless you're able to footnote it, even if you won't be putting the footnote in the copy itself.

in this case, claims of being the safest option would need to be backed up with some fairly solid metrics on drivers, incidents, training, etc. at the very least a commissioned report from some third-party consultant.

i kind of want to submit an amicus curiae on behalf of the plaintiffs that comprises little more than quotes from uber driver forums where they discuss hiding guns and knives everywhere and making sure they can kill their passenger at a moment's notice

please do this

disrupt uber for us

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

EVGA Longoria posted:

please do this

disrupt uber for us

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

well, probably only if they're provably untrue

yeah. plus you get to define what all the words in the copy mean

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

objection like a taxi driver doesn't do the same thing you're honoure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do the taxi companies have safety record info or are they just claiming background checks = safety?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah. plus you get to define what all the words in the copy mean

nope, most legit orgs have "plain reading" guidelines where you don't get to pull some "what the definition of is is" poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think that's actually a thing cause if it were advertising would end

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
legally, I mean. im sure marketing departments have standard, preapproved definitions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It’s been a bad few weeks for Uber, the San Francisco-based transportation technology company.

After a spate of bad coverage, the ride-sharing business is facing bans in Spain, the Netherlands, and Nevada, as well as a lawsuit in California scrutinizing its driver background checks. The service was banned in New Delhi, after an Uber driver was accused of rape by a passenger earlier this month.

Last month, senior vice president Emil Michaels was roundly criticized for suggesting that the company should dig up dirt on journalists critical of Uber. The company also recently disciplined a New York executive after he tracked a reporter’s location in an Uber car. Earlier this month, an Uber driver in New Delhi reportedly confessed to raping a passenger.

These reports are troubling, to be sure. But that doesn’t mean we should start regulating Uber more stringently, or ban it outright. The company boasts comparatively rigorous safety requirements, and provides a very real value to consumers.

For example, most American jurisdictions require a five-year gap between any felony convictions and a taxi driver’s application process. Uber mandates that its drivers not have DUIs, violent crimes, or sexual offenses on their record within seven years of their application. In addition, Uber requires seven years to pass before it considers applicants with gun-related violations or driving offenses such as hit and runs and reckless driving on their record.

Uber also lets passengers and drivers rate each other, adding another layer of accountability. At the end of a bad ride, an Uber passenger can provide details of a driver’s behavior on the Uber app. Unlike taxi drivers, Uber drivers know inappropriate behavior will be reported quickly. This is an excellent safety feature, and the fact that drivers also rate passengers provides both passengers and drivers with an incentive to behave well.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nintendo Kid posted:

that's it. they're giant babies who are scared of women irl

They are a bunch of Rawhead Rexes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

at least most news orgs aren't parroting the 'uber is totes a ride sharing company' bs anymore

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

legally, I mean. im sure marketing departments have standard, preapproved definitions

legally, no. it's an internal thing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. when uber says its the safest thats using the official uber definition of safe which may or may not correspond to what their users think of as safe. this makes it next to impossible to successfully challenge in court.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i bet very few black car passengers are assaulted or raped, therefore uber is the safest.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

right. when uber says its the safest thats using the official uber definition of safe which may or may not correspond to what their users think of as safe. this makes it next to impossible to successfully challenge in court.

uber collects the most money in "safety fees", therefore it is the safest

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i have never encountered a tech marketing division that maintained a list of internal definitions for common words like "safest" that wouldn't also be required by Legal to have a footnote claling out the basis for that definition.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

lemme help you get started http://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/comments/2zlspa/1star_ill_take_that_hit/ :nws:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Luigi Thirty posted:

Last month, senior vice president Emil Michaels was roundly criticized for suggesting that the company should dig up dirt on journalists critical of Uber.

ah, the scientology strategy

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

do it

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

duTrieux. posted:

this absolutely must be done

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol there's no way any of that happened

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

can they get off on a "mere puffery" defense? i.e. no one could be expected to believe they are literally the safest

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
listen, you're kidding yourself if the claim of 'safety' was ever anything but a dogwhistle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

can they get off on a "mere puffery" defense? i.e. no one could be expected to believe they are literally the safest

doesn't explictly charging extra for a "safe rides" fee make it no longer puffery? i mean it's something they basically require you to "buy"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol there's no way any of that happened

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
pay extra for safe rides.
which means if you don't pay extra you get your stuff stolen and you get raped

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

asking some legal friends about the amicus curiae process, will report back in event of fruitfullnes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I saw the leap bus this morning, it had one guy on it (and 3 leap employees)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm sure uber follows advertising law every bit as closely as they follow every other law

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is like when soulja boy tried to diss krs one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

duTrieux. posted:

i have never encountered a tech marketing division that maintained a list of internal definitions for common words like "safest" that wouldn't also be required by Legal to have a footnote claling out the basis for that definition.

regarding safety:

since the dawn of wheeled transport passengers have paid fares in exchange for transportation; over the course of these many long centuries there have been countless accidents, abuses, and disasters. at uber we've only been facillitating these sorts of transactions for like 18 months or something, comprising only the smallest fraction of safety violations.

ergo, safest.

• Locked thread