Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just want guddamn Lollipop for my Moto X 2013. Why is this so hard?

I always like showing it off to people who have large phones - they play around with it and say "wait this is really comfy in the hand and I can do everything with my thumb" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

monster on a stick posted:

I just want guddamn Lollipop for my Moto X 2013. Why is this so hard?

I always like showing it off to people who have large phones - they play around with it and say "wait this is really comfy in the hand and I can do everything with my thumb" :smug:

And if you gave me your phone to hold I'd laugh and say I could never go back to using a baby phone. Opinions!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HTC One M7 is on its final software revision, it will not be upgraded further. The M7 GPE will get upgraded to 5.1.

http://www.androidcentral.com/only-google-play-edition-htc-one-m7-will-be-update-android-51

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bull3964 posted:

HTC One M7 is on its final software revision, it will not be upgraded further. The M7 GPE will get upgraded to 5.1.

http://www.androidcentral.com/only-google-play-edition-htc-one-m7-will-be-update-android-51

So when the hell is the At&t version getting 5.0 then? :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I managed to flash Lollipop onto my Xperia Z3 Compact this morning using an image from the Baltics. Apart from pooing myself because I've never done that outside of a Nexus 7, it's running fine. Would anyone with a Z3C like to know anything about 5.0.2 running on it?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I got a prepaid SIM card for use abroad but whenever I have this card inserted into my phone it keeps rebooting every 10 minutes or so. Other than that it works as expected. My normal SIM works completely without issue. Is there any way I can troubleshoot or fix this? I actually got a replacement SIM because of this issue but I have the same problem with both of them. I have a sony xperia z.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Wrong thread!!!

THE BIG DOG DADDY fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know why I have the add to contacts option from a Hangouts thread on my n7 but not my droid turbo?

I somehow found it buried under People and options.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I managed to flash Lollipop onto my Xperia Z3 Compact this morning using an image from the Baltics. Apart from pooing myself because I've never done that outside of a Nexus 7, it's running fine. Would anyone with a Z3C like to know anything about 5.0.2 running on it?

I want to hear how it performs over the next few days. How is Sony's lollipop implementation?

e: Also, how is the lockscreen?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

You can convert them to the GPE-Version if you don't care about Sense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tamba posted:

You can convert them to the GPE-Version if you don't care about Sense.

Wich reminds me that Samsung probably won't update the Galaxy S4 GPE to 5.1. Oh well :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

While you can easily convert to a GPE, HTC supported the M7 pretty well. Can't even complain.

-------

Okay so I'm trying to find the proper charge cord for a Nexus 5. I have the one that came with the phone at home, but I wanted a spare for work so I can charge my phone.

I'm using some random cable now but it takes like 5 hours for the phone to charge with it. Yes I know I could just buy a Tylt Vu or something but I plan on switching to the M9 next month.

So yeah, I figure I could find the cord on Monoprice or something but I want to make sure it's the proper cord (the one that came with my phone charges in about an hour and a half or so).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Okay so I'm trying to find the proper charge cord for a Nexus 5. I have the one that came with the phone at home, but I wanted a spare for work so I can charge my phone.

I'm using some random cable now but it takes like 5 hours for the phone to charge with it. Yes I know I could just buy a Tylt Vu or something but I plan on switching to the M9 next month.

So yeah, I figure I could find the cord on Monoprice or something but I want to make sure it's the proper cord (the one that came with my phone charges in about an hour and a half or so).

Get the Blackberry Blade charger. They run like $7 and charge at 1.8a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Get the Blackberry Blade charger. They run like $7 and charge at 1.8a.

I am possibly about to ask an unbelievably stupid question that I just can't think of myself right now, but....the Quick Charge functionality in the Nexus 6, does that reside in the charger or the phone? IE, could getting a high current charger like this work with quick charging?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am possibly about to ask an unbelievably stupid question that I just can't think of myself right now, but....the Quick Charge functionality in the Nexus 6, does that reside in the charger or the phone? IE, could getting a high current charger like this work with quick charging?

It's in the charger, but the phone has to understand it and request it.

Normal chargers, though they vary the amount of amperage they can supply, are limited to 5 volts of output of the USB spec. Since watts of power is Volts * Amps, 5 volts is limiting the amount of power that can be pushed over a little usb connection since amperage can only go so high.

Quick Charge 2.0 increases the amount of voltage in the charger. The Turbocharger that comes with the Turbo and Nexus 6 have two additional charge levels of 9v @ 1.6A and 12v @ 1.2A on top of 5V @ 1.6A. That means that the charger can supply 14.4 watts of power to the device instead of just 8 at 5v. Even a 2A traditional charger can only supply 10w.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Efb
E2: I'd prefer qi and turbo charging, but if I could only have 1, I'd prefer Turbo.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Turbo charging is life changing and loving owns and I never want to own a phone without it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I want to hear how it performs over the next few days. How is Sony's lollipop implementation?

e: Also, how is the lockscreen?

Been using it fairly heavily during the day and battery life seems about the same as on Kit Kat.

Sony's Lollipop implementation is akin to their Kit Kat implementation, in that they've changed some colours of the UI here and there, but it's very similar to stock. LED light works as normal (others have had issues with that with Lollipop on other devices) and the lockscreen seems to work as it does in stock.

System performance feels pretty much unchanged next to 4.4.4 so far as I can tell after about 8 hours use. I did have a heart attack when flashing the phone because it took about 15 minutes to boot and I was sure I'd bricked it. Reboots seem a bit faster than with 4.4.4.

Poor trip report I know. Is there anything more specific you'd like me to keep an eye on over the next few days?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's in the charger, but the phone has to understand it and request it.

Normal chargers, though they vary the amount of amperage they can supply, are limited to 5 volts of output of the USB spec. Since watts of power is Volts * Amps, 5 volts is limiting the amount of power that can be pushed over a little usb connection since amperage can only go so high.

Quick Charge 2.0 increases the amount of voltage in the charger. The Turbocharger that comes with the Turbo and Nexus 6 have two additional charge levels of 9v @ 1.6A and 12v @ 1.2A on top of 5V @ 1.6A. That means that the charger can supply 14.4 watts of power to the device instead of just 8 at 5v. Even a 2A traditional charger can only supply 10w.

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Android Auto aftermarket receivers:

The ones I have come across are all too fancy with tuners, navigation, USB, blah, blah, blah. I just want a dumb unit that provides an amp and a high quality screen!

Anyone seen any announcements of such a thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The ones I have come across are all too fancy with tuners, navigation, USB, blah, blah, blah. I just want a dumb unit that provides an amp and a high quality screen!

Not yet and believe me I'm watching. I would also think you'd want AM/FM capability in the receiver, no?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Not yet and believe me I'm watching. I would also think you'd want AM/FM capability in the receiver, no?

Only because it should cost next to nothing. I literally never listen to radio in my vehicle ... only podcasts and Play Music.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have just in case.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I just want to at least be able to put my phone into Android Auto mode and have that simplified interface.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Only because it should cost next to nothing. I literally never listen to radio in my vehicle ... only podcasts and Play Music.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have just in case.
The man who not only eschews NPR but sports as well?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Huh. Google Play music is mostly fully controllable from Ok Google audio control. MIGHT be enough to get me to switch off Spotify.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I really don't understand why they're putting full-on navigation and DVD players in head units that also support CarPlay and Android Auto, other than because they're excuses to prop up the price. I haven't seen ANY head unit that supports this stuff for less than $600-$700.

They have to know that absolutely nobody is going to use any of that; they're going to plug their phones in and use them 100% of the time.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's finally fixed!!!

What album cover is this?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

nerve posted:

Turbo charging is life changing and loving owns and I never want to own a phone without it

But qi charging!!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm waiting for turbo QI charging. Sell me a goddamn tesla coil Tylt.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hace posted:

But qi charging!!

Also owns, get a Nexus idiots

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cuedotcom posted:

What album cover is this?

https://soundcloud.com/soulection/atu-the-duo-ft-sango-pictures

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Whizbang posted:

I'm waiting for turbo QI charging. Sell me a goddamn tesla coil Tylt.

This, or charging over Wi-Fi.

Charging my phone just by entering a room? :getin:

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Been using it fairly heavily during the day and battery life seems about the same as on Kit Kat.

Sony's Lollipop implementation is akin to their Kit Kat implementation, in that they've changed some colours of the UI here and there, but it's very similar to stock. LED light works as normal (others have had issues with that with Lollipop on other devices) and the lockscreen seems to work as it does in stock.

System performance feels pretty much unchanged next to 4.4.4 so far as I can tell after about 8 hours use. I did have a heart attack when flashing the phone because it took about 15 minutes to boot and I was sure I'd bricked it. Reboots seem a bit faster than with 4.4.4.

Poor trip report I know. Is there anything more specific you'd like me to keep an eye on over the next few days?

Can you install apps to the SD card? Or, better yet, do in-app 'store media on SD card' functions now work? It'd be pretty amazing to store podcasts with PocketCasts and pre-cache Spotify without constantly running out of memory.

Other than that, does changing the volume work? On the nexus 7(2013) lollipop the volume buttons seem to exclusively change the wrong type of volume (notification, alarms, media).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The man who not only eschews NPR but sports as well?

I'm cool like that.

Actually, I listen to a couple NPR podcasts.

I've never understood the appeal of watching or listening to sports even though I enjoy playing them.

Anyway, my guess as to why these Android Auto capable receivers are all packed to the gills with redundant tech is that the manufacturers are a little scared of becoming nothing more than mere purveyors of dumb black boxes.

I mean Google and Apple are both going to do the software way better than any of this poo poo Pioneer or Kenwood or whoever puts out. That stuff is universally terrible. Just like infotainment systems from car manufacturers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Can you install apps to the SD card? Or, better yet, do in-app 'store media on SD card' functions now work? It'd be pretty amazing to store podcasts with PocketCasts and pre-cache Spotify without constantly running out of memory.

Other than that, does changing the volume work? On the nexus 7(2013) lollipop the volume buttons seem to exclusively change the wrong type of volume (notification, alarms, media).

You can indeed install certain apps to the SD card - I take it Android removed that feature a while ago? I had to do this all the time in 2010 when my HTC Desire ran out of internal memory (512MB).

Also, some apps let you store their media on the SD card:

This is obviously enabled on a per-app basis, but it works for Nokia Here Maps at any rate. I'm afraid I don't have PocketCasts to try it out for you.

Volume change works as expected: the buttons change the volume of whatever is playing at that specific moment, and you can adjust them independently in Settings anyway:

I don't think my Nexus 7 gives me any problems with volume adjustments on 5.0.2.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Anyway, my guess as to why these Android Auto capable receivers are all packed to the gills with redundant tech is that the manufacturers are a little scared of becoming nothing more than mere purveyors of dumb black boxes.
I hope someone new appears and makes the dumb black box. And maybe spends the saved R&D on better hardware because for $1200 I should get something better than a 800x480 resistive touchscreen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I mean Google and Apple are both going to do the software way better than any of this poo poo Pioneer or Kenwood or whoever puts out. That stuff is universally terrible. Just like infotainment systems from car manufacturers.
There really isn't any reason not to include a radio, you've got an antenna to hook up and you have to provide UI to enter CarPlay (unlike Android Auto).

That being said, the UI on Alpines has always been great. The nicest thing about my Alpine besides the rocket-fast seeking with the big knob for navigating the iPod is that the 1-6 radio presets will skip to 0% 17% 34% 50% 67% and 84% of whatever list you're in, allowing you to quickly search the entire iPod in seconds no matter how big your library is.

Consider that the resistive touchscreen in my wife's new Subaru BRZ allows her to move one position at a time, not looping around, at a rate of maybe one position every two seconds. Need to get to an artist beginning with S? Hope you have fifteen minutes to stare at a touchscreen because that's literally not an exaggeration.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm confused by Moto's device replacement policy so I'm asking here. I can grab a broken 2nd gen Moto X for $60, screen is busted. Does Moto do free device replacement?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I'm confused by Moto's device replacement policy so I'm asking here. I can grab a broken 2nd gen Moto X for $60, screen is busted. Does Moto do free device replacement?

They did a free courtesy screen replacement on the 2013 X but not anymore, and not on the 2014 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Motorola repair cost for a broken screen is about $150.