Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Banks cancel charges as a favor to you as a client. They really don't have to do it, they could just have everyone buy fraud insurance that would have those protections.

If someone steals my information, and commits bank/wire fraud that is a crime that needs to be reported and prosecuted. Criminal charges would be pursued by the state while a civil suit would have to be pursued against the accused to recover the funds/damages. Banks are hesitant to cancel charges when the victim knows the accused because the chances of it being a scam are much higher than in the case of random cases.

This is why I avoid the use of debit transactions and cheques in favor of credit cards. The bank has to go after the fraudster themselves while I have more protections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Banks cancel charges as a favor to you as a client. They really don't have to do it, they could just have everyone buy fraud insurance that would have those protections.

If someone steals my information, and commits bank/wire fraud that is a crime that needs to be reported and prosecuted. Criminal charges would be pursued by the state while a civil suit would have to be pursued against the accused to recover the funds/damages. Banks are hesitant to cancel charges when the victim knows the accused because the chances of it being a scam are much higher than in the case of random cases.

This is why I avoid the use of debit transactions and cheques in favor of credit cards. The bank has to go after the fraudster themselves while I have more protections.

Um no, they do it because when you notify them of theft or fraud, they are legally obligated to cancel those charges. You have legal protections even for debit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

NancyPants posted:

Um no, they do it because when you notify them of theft or fraud, they are legally obligated to cancel those charges. You have legal protections even for debit.

Yep, your liability is limited to $50 if you notify the bank in a timely manner, and they usually just refund everything. I'm also trying to imagine filing a civil suit against some guy in Russia who stole your money.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

cowofwar posted:

I don't what crazy Candyland you live in where people spell "check" with a "q" and banks do favors for their customers, but here in the USA, they absolutely do "have to do it," unless you've signed away your rights under the EFTA. Your exposure is potentially worse with debit cards, since you have a 60-day limit to notice the activity, but you are still entitled to the return of stolen funds (minus up to $500 depending on how long it takes you to notify the bank) if you don't miss the deadline.

Also, in the story I related, I specifically noted the bank's reluctance to proceed with legal remedies. When someone opens up accounts in your name, the fraud has been committed against the financial institution, not against you. It's never your responsibility to play gumshoe and track down criminal fraudsters, but that is exactly what Bank of America tried to tell the victim in my anecdote.

Edit: "Band of America"

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 18, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

NancyPants posted:

Sort of. There are certain consumer liability limits but the protections decay over time with a whole lot of backdoors available to institutions to weasel through. In many non clear-cut cases the victim is left holding the bag while the institution points at their liability policies.

quote:

In the United States, consumer liability for unauthorized electronic money transfers on debit cards is covered by Regulation-E of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.[8] The extent of consumer liability, as detailed in section 205.6, is determined by the speed with which the consumer notifies the bank. If the bank is notified within 2 business days, the consumer is liable for $50. Over two business days the consumer is liable for $500, and over 60 business days, the consumer liability is unlimited. In contrast, all major credit card companies have a zero liability policy, effectively eliminating consumer liability in the case of fraud.
But yeah the regulations are more consumer friendly in the US compared to here in Canada where things are not as clear legally with a lot of codes of compliance and liability policy quagmires.

Basically if I steal your credit card and make a transaction without your pin you would be protected within a certain window of time but if I guessed or got your pin code you would generally be held liable because your pin probably broke one of their many rules. Like if your pin was your birth year you would be held liable.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 18, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Centripetal Horse posted:

Lol, no. You give out sensitive financial information every day. It's printed on your frigging checks. Giving someone the login to your online banking account does not make it legal for them to order checks and rob you blind.

Bank account info isn't the same as a banking login, though. The agreements I've read generally say if you give your password to someone you authorize them to act for you.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Series DD Funding posted:

Bank account info isn't the same as a banking login, though. The agreements I've read generally say if you give your password to someone you authorize them to act for you.

Holy, poo poo, further reading on the reddit thread:

quote:

I work in a bank fraud dept and just had a case exactly like this. Girl met someone on Instagram, they convinced her to mail them her debit card and give them her login information. Then they used mobile deposit to deposit a bunch of counterfeit checks, and used her debit card to withdraw a bunch of cash at various ATMs. They also convinced her to go into the bank and withdraw cash and Western Union it to them. By the end of it she owed us thousands of dollars after the checks bounced. It's so sad, but we can't protect people from their own naivete.
Your friend needs to file a police report and figure out how she will pay back her presumably overdrawn her bank account. I hope she's learned her lesson...you NEVER EVER give out your personal or account information to some random person online.

:psyduck:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

Also, in the story I related, I specifically noted the bank's reluctance to proceed with legal remedies. When someone opens up accounts in your name, the fraud has been committed against the financial institution, not against you. It's never your responsibility to play gumshoe and track down criminal fraudsters, but that is exactly what Bank of America tried to tell the victim in my anecdote.

Yes, but that's not what happened, it was her account, not one they setup in her name, and she gave them information to access if on her behalf.

This isn't a fraud, it's theft. They stole her money, they didn't take out loans with her identity.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Taco Box posted:

Man, it used to be that way. Lowered expectations are good with money TM

Better than that! According to Buddhists, lowered expectations are the path to nirvana.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

fruition posted:

It just irks you to the core that people exist who can afford to spend money without worrying about it, huh?

Instead of being a bitter gently caress, why don't you figure out a way to make more money instead of demonizing those who can afford things that you can't.

So what if high earners with networths over $1Million+ want to buy designer clothes and lease nice cars? What else are they supposed to do with their excess cash? Give it to people like you?

Let's get back to making fun of people who are $100k in debt because they got a liberal arts degree and can't afford their car lease.

Mitt?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/03/evolution-dark-web-successor-to-silk-road-mysteriously-vanishes/

quote:

Someone claiming to be the vendor "SterlingSilver" on Evo, who said he or she specialized in credit card details from the United Kingdom, told Ars that he or she had "approximately 15 bitcoins" (over $4,000) in escrow at the time of the shutdown.

It's like the perfect storm of buttcoin, fraudulent transactions, and dummies getting fleeced. Who'd have thunk people would steal from criminals? :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Engineer who's pissed that he can't sit at the big boys' table.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Honestly, I was expecting more from you.

I'm not Mitt but I wish I had his accountant. I'm bad with money because I couldn't figure out how to lower my tax bill from $130,000 in 2014, I'd rather pay it than risk an audit.

Oxxidation posted:

Engineer who's pissed that he can't sit at the big boys' table.

Not an engineer, and I'll be at the big boys' table soon enough.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jesus Christ, we get it, you have a higher than average income.

Can this derail end and we can go back to posting stories that are objectively bad with money instead of pissing at what discretionary spending should be for different income brackets?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Why it's harder for women to save for retirement

NEW YORK -- When Vadaire James was in her early 20s, her mom sat her down to have "the talk," not about sex, but about saving for retirement. James says she didn't listen to her mother's advice.

Now 40, James wishes she had. After working a variety of jobs, she has a lot of experience but little savings.

"It is terrifying now," said James. "It's imagining 20 years down the road, where am I going to be and what I'm going to be doing?"
A recent survey found that only about half of women have put money aside to retire, compared to 65 percent of men. And while the average savings for women is $35,000, for men it's more than twice that.

"A lot of people think well I'll just work longer and I think that's great but it's not a plan really because you don't know what the future will bring and maybe you won't work as long as you expect," said Cindy Hounsell, the president of Women's Institute for a Secure Retirement.

Hounsell says it's never too late to start planning ahead.

Glimpsing your "future self" helps you save for retirement
"You just have to get into the habit of saving because there will never be the perfect, blue-sky day, when today's the day, I can start saving. That never comes along," said Hounsell.
James started focusing on her future last year, even taking a roommate to save on expenses.

"You have to take more control of your earnings and what's coming in and how you spend it," said James. "I wish I had figured that out a lot earlier and I didn't."
Women also tend to be more conservative savers. More than 68 percent keep their money in cash, which means that savings doesn't grow or earn dividends.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-its-harder-for-women-to-save-for-retirement/

I've experienced the "safer" investing with the women in my family. Even my grandmother who saves a ton of money has stayed pretty much exclusively with CDs her entire life. It's too late now as she's pushing 70, but I don't think she ever put much thought into index or mutual funds.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

fruition posted:

I'm not Mitt but I wish I had his accountant. I'm bad with money because I couldn't figure out how to lower my tax bill from $130,000 in 2014, I'd rather pay it than risk an audit.

You guys both look equally dumb. It's a race to the bottom.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Knyteguy posted:

I've experienced the "safer" investing with the women in my family. Even my grandmother who saves a ton of money has stayed pretty much exclusively with CDs her entire life. It's too late now as she's pushing 70, but I don't think she ever put much thought into index or mutual funds.

I've always been taught women are more risk adverse than men as a general rule but I just skimmed through a few papers and there's no statistical difference.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Tigntink posted:

I've always been taught women are more risk adverse than men as a general rule but I just skimmed through a few papers and there's no statistical difference.

My grandparents put virtually their entire life savings in the stock market, something like 350k, and lost it all. My aunt followed their example and did the same thing. No idea what they all actually invested it in. Regardless, it terrified my father and uncle enough to where they're incredibly risk adverse, but they've also saved a lot of money which they'll be passing down to their kids.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

It didn't really go into detail, but I wonder if they tried to pick people with similar ages in similar fields, that would probably be the most telling. A few things that could greatly skew the numbers:

1. One argument is that women earn less than men, so by default sure that makes sense they would have less saved. I don't know enough about this to say on way or another, but I know it's claimed to be a big problem.
2. Another argument is that a lot of well paying jobs (STEM and the like) have a higher percentage of men.
3. Women leaving/re-entering the workforce to raise children.

I dunno, could be a fairly useless survey as they typically are. Anecdotally I'm glad I'm around because I don't think it would occur to my wife to put much thought into retirement. She's on-board with the meager saving that we DO do, I just don't think she would give it much thought if I didn't push the issue.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
There really isn't enough data there to guess as to why. Maybe it's the ultra wealthy men skewing the numbers. Or maybe women have a tendency to retire when they have enough money to, while men are more likely to just keep building wealth. Maybe more women are in govt jobs and are counting on pensions. Also, no idea how they're handling married couples in those numbers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe life expectancy contributes to it? Odds are, a wife is going to outlive her husband so there might be an inclination to invest more cautiously because you've got more years (and potentially one fewer income) to plan for.

I'm not saying ladies think, "Bob's blood pressure is up, better put money into bonds", but perhaps it has a statistically significant impact.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

dreesemonkey posted:

It didn't really go into detail, but I wonder if they tried to pick people with similar ages in similar fields, that would probably be the most telling. A few things that could greatly skew the numbers:

1. One argument is that women earn less than men, so by default sure that makes sense they would have less saved. I don't know enough about this to say on way or another, but I know it's claimed to be a big problem.
2. Another argument is that a lot of well paying jobs (STEM and the like) have a higher percentage of men.
3. Women leaving/re-entering the workforce to raise children.

I dunno, could be a fairly useless survey as they typically are. Anecdotally I'm glad I'm around because I don't think it would occur to my wife to put much thought into retirement. She's on-board with the meager saving that we DO do, I just don't think she would give it much thought if I didn't push the issue.

It'd be easy to do the analysis as a percentage of lifetime earnings, or control for mean yearly income, I'd be surprised if no such study exists but I don't know.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Women also tend to be more conservative savers. More than 68 percent keep their money in cash, which means that savings doesn't grow or earn dividends.
Two thirds keep ALL their money in cash? That seems odd, I wonder if

quote:

According to the results, the average female investor keeps 68 percent of her portfolio in cash and cash equivalents, such as money market funds, Treasury bills and certificates of deposit, which have a low-risk, low-return profile. By comparison, men allocate 59 percent of their portfolios to cash.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102473846#.

Words, how do they work?

(that still seems like a lot in cash for both genders, but I'm guessing that may be skewed by the large number of people who have very little saved)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

(that still seems like a lot in cash for both genders, but I'm guessing that may be skewed by the large number of people who have very little saved)

I keep 100% of my savings in cash*

*is broke, only has $20 in pocket*

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I was 12 hours away from my power being shut off. In Feb we put everything on auto-pay. Or so we thought.

I just happened to read the mailer today which came in last week, usually a bill, and noticed it said past due. Lucked out that I caught it in time but drat that was silly of me to overlook.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

BossRighteous posted:

I was 12 hours away from my power being shut off. In Feb we put everything on auto-pay. Or so we thought.

I just happened to read the mailer today which came in last week, usually a bill, and noticed it said past due. Lucked out that I caught it in time but drat that was silly of me to overlook.
Can your utility email you when the ACH processes? Mine does and it adds peace of mind.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

That's ok. When I first move out to go to college, I didn't put the gas bill on autopay like I thought I did, and I just ignored the mail. A year later they came to shut off my gas unless I paid it on the spot.

It came out to around $110.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2zm5pd/22_year_old_in_us_in_decent_amount_of_debt/

quote:

I am a 22 year old living in California and I have got myself into quite the hole over the last few years. I have been working at a MMJ dispensary since I was 18 as an independent contractor (I am a delivery driver and I am assuming the company is set up like this for the companies benefit). I was completely oblivious to what being a 1099 worker meant and pretty much blew off doing any taxes since I began working there. Well that finally has caught up to me and the IRS sent me a letter about a month ago regarding 3 years of back taxes I am going to need to pay. Here is what I earned over that time period:
2011 - $17,725 2012 - $21,994 2013 - $22,788 2014 (Current) - $26,605
On top of back taxes, I have over 20k in medical debt from two ER visits prior to when I acquired insurance. I have 3 maxed out credit cards (1500/each) that I am actively trying to pay back but with little to no success. I feel extremely stuck and unable to look forward.
I have been depressed for a few years now and kind of just turned my head to everything. I began gambling as soon as a I turned 21 which definitely did not help my cause, I would say about 1/3 of credit card debt is completely gambling related. I am happy to say its been weeks since I’ve gambled and I am ready to face reality and tackle my problems, I really just don’t know where to start. I am currently living paycheck to paycheck struggling to make ends meet.
Funny/sad. Dude probably isn't a contractor by law, but he went so far as to ignore taxes it sounds like.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2zj9zh/i_just_found_out_im_the_victim_of_a_scam/

quote:

So, here's the story (inb4 I'm an idiot):
I've been trying to sublet my apartment in Boston, and I have two separate ads posted. One day a girl texts me saying "Hey I was referred to you by a friend who says you're subletting your apartment." Entirely plausible, I've been in contact with numerous people who liked my place but didn't end up taking it. I give her my email.
She sends me an email saying that once we get the details of the lease worked out, she will send me a check. Apparently she wants to work in the US, she's already secured a job, and her "employer will pay for everything." She mentioned something about "her flight arrangements" but I didn't think much of it at the time. She eventually returns both my sublet contract and the guarantor's form that my landlord requires, signed and filled out. The guarantor's form is filled out with a SSN, name, address, everything. I've also received a check for the rent in the mail. Here's what's weird: it's for more than I told her was due for the first month's rent.
I mention this to her, and she tells me that she needs me to transfer the money to her travel agent to pay for her travel arrangements (after I subtract first month's rent). I went ahead and deposited the check. Next day, the check appears to have cleared.
Being the idiot I am, I went ahead and made the transfer for her. As far as I was concerned, her details had checked out. The check cleared! What could go wrong? Well, last night my bank removed those funds from my account, saying that there was potentially something wrong with the check. Today, the bank told me that the check bounced. I've talked to an associate at the bank, and they said that the check didn't "clear" but instead they just credited my account with the amount of the deposit after a day. This isn't reflected in my account, it just says that I made a deposit and that the money (was) in my account. I'm still not clear on why the deposit's status says "cleared" but that doesn't necessarily mean the bank did anything wrong.
So I'm essentially out for the amount that I sent to the fraudulent account. I've already alerted my bank that the check is fraudulent, and I've filed a report at my local police station. The police said to go to their headquarters tomorrow and I should be able to talk to a detective. That about brings us up to speed. I've been informed of the rather obvious option of pursuing the people, if they can be identified and found, in small claims court. If the detectives find them then I will certainly do that. If there's any other advice people have to offer, especially regarding the confusing issue with the bank and the "cleared but not actually cleared" check, I would love to hear it.
Other miscellaneous details:
"Girl" who wanted to rent my place claims to be Spanish
While she wanted to rent from me in Boston, the account I wired some of the money to is in Texas.
Edit 1: Fortunately the amount I now owe to my bank is slightly less than the amount I currently have saved, so this has been more of a horrible learning experience than a "ruin me forever" experience.
Edit 2: I now have a "RETURNED ITEM CHARGEBACK FEE" on my bank account. If I'm understanding that correctly, that means my bank is charging me because I deposited a bounced check. Is that correct? It doesn't appear to be an overdraft fee.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 19, 2015

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Stolennosferatu posted:

That's ok. When I first move out to go to college, I didn't put the gas bill on autopay like I thought I did, and I just ignored the mail. A year later they came to shut off my gas unless I paid it on the spot.

It came out to around $110.

My version of this: I could have sworn my rent included gas and heat, not just heat. Never signed up for gas. I figured out my error six months later, when the super came over to see why my gas had gone out.

About the same total as you, and it took them a week to turn it back on (would have been nice of them to try contacting the resident at my address before it came to that). But the account was never in arrears under my name, so...good with money?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2zm5pd/22_year_old_in_us_in_decent_amount_of_debt/
Funny/sad. Dude probably isn't a contractor by law, but he went so far as to ignore taxes it sounds like

Yeah these weed shops in Denver try to get away with that kind bullshit too. Contractor wages were common in some of the dispensaries. Either that or they pay just over minimum wage with less benefits than McDonalds. Every single weed shop owner probably votes democrat but when it comes to their business they're just as lovely as every big business owner.

On another note working at a pot shop is really loving bad with life/money. Want to get a job in another state or industry? lol try to explain your budtender job or the massive unemployment gap because you couldn't put "bud tender" on your resume

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So Bellevue is awful, but is Woodinville? Because I'm kinda thinking of moving there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Comrade Flynn posted:

So Bellevue is awful, but is Woodinville? Because I'm kinda thinking of moving there.

There's a bunch of winerys so that's nice. It's too long of a commute to downtown imo. 522 is a nice bus though. If you can telecommute it's doable. The houses are nearly as expensive as Seattle though so I don't see a big benefit unless you want a mcmansion.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Comrade Flynn posted:

Well that makes you a mcmansion dwelling suburbanite who will eventually be driven to commit suicide by his lovely commute on 405.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Tigntink posted:

There's a bunch of winerys so that's nice. It's too long of a commute to downtown imo. 522 is a nice bus though. If you can telecommute it's doable. The houses are nearly as expensive as Seattle though so I don't see a big benefit unless you want a mcmansion.

I technically have a Woodinville address but am in Snohomish County - cheaper taxes and the neighborhood is mostly ramblers on plats of 0.75 acres and up. Kind of the anti-Mcmansion neighborhood, rural-lite.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

So many Washingtonians.

I wish I could afford to live anywhere within a 30 minute radius of Seattle.

I am moving to Olympia this summer though. Definitely a step up from central Washington...

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Living in Washington, good with money, or bad with money? Low taxes but high cost of living.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Is there any state where "low taxes" isn't completely offset by sales tax and other various increases? NH has no sales & income tax, but WA has some of the highest sales tax in the nation. Which is regressive, so it's even worse to be poor/lower/middle class than income tax which is much more forgiving to low incomes.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

xie posted:

Is there any state where "low taxes" isn't completely offset by sales tax and other various increases? NH has no sales & income tax, but WA has some of the highest sales tax in the nation. Which is regressive, so it's even worse to be poor/lower/middle class than income tax which is much more forgiving to low incomes.

It all depends on how much you spend and whether you own a house or not. If you save 60+% of your income and make a good salary, living in a low income tax state probably saves you money.

Also, there's states like California that have pretty high sales AND income taxes, so you are getting screwed unless you own a house and take advantage of low property taxes. And then depending on how much you actually pay, you might be able to use the taxes as an itemized deduction on your federal taxes. But then AMT might eliminate those savings.

Basically, it's all complicated and depends on individual circumstances.

ChipNDip fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not only does Washington not have an income tax, our property tax isn't bad either http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/property-tax-by-state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

Not only does Washington not have an income tax, our property tax isn't bad either http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/property-tax-by-state

Yeah. Washington owns for higher incomes. So glad I started my business here.

• Locked thread