Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: \/\/ I will use my page snipe for a good cause \/\/

simosimo posted:

Today's Billboards!

:vince: at the last one

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Bottom of the last page, ooooooosh.

Today's Billboards!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stalins Moustache posted:

Someone keeps linking pictures of the mountaineous map. Can anyone link it, and could the links to cool maps be added to the OP?

Can you be more specific, there are quite a few mountainous maps.

I have this one but I don't know if it's what you want.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Okay how do I get the billboards in game? I require the meat shoes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Meat shoes? I dont get it. :saddowns:

Also, do those all have to be separate plopables, or is the a way to get it to randomly pick from a pool?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hulk-hogan-meatshoes/1/

The magic really happens on page 3

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kilonum posted:

http://a.pomf.se/czdeng.webm

Do you like left exits?

because Boston likes left exits

no, really

(to be fair on the last one, it's better than what was there before the Big Dig)

Despite what everyone thinks, there aren't that many left exits in Jersey. At least, not on the roads I travel up North. South Jersey is a place to be completely avoided.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

My monstrous industrial district is full of left exits. A special highway bypass circles around the whole thing, with left-side ramps at strategic locations to let trucks in and out. It is a travesty.

edit: I just now realized I can fix this by flipping the highway directions and adjusting the place where it connects back to the main route.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 19, 2015

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DPruett2333/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

wtf is with this guy. are these all just re-skins or....?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't know if that's the map he wants, but I want it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You are a prick for not letting us know what that map is called.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Baloogan posted:

You are a prick for not letting us know what that map is called.

Yeah, either link or at least name the maps you are using.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's not on the workshop, let me smooth out some of the gently caress ups I've noticed and I can upload it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Mantis posted:

No, he's just adding props to the lots and messing with colors.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

fusionpit posted:

After fighting with what turned out to be my alpha texture being the wrong size, I finally got my accurately sized youth baseball/softball field actually working - if overexposed looking.

Time to try it out in-game!

Oh well gently caress me. Anyone know how high I have to make the base to compensate for that?

:circlefap:

Outside of the issue you mentioned, this is perfect. Now I can -really- make some suburbs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, here's the map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410456200

There are about 120k trees left until the limit so feel free to go crazy placing them. Keep in mind that the highways are a little funky, as there's no nub for you to start with. The river in the first tile also may or may not flood. It's also intended to use with a 25 tile mod, as there isn't a large amount of playable space available.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
OK goons I think this is ready. Gonna start a fresh city tonight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410547955&searchtext=

give me thread fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 20, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The Mantis posted:

When you add stuff like this, it just goes into the building rotation/chance pool right? It doesn't replace anything ?

This is going to end up like skyrim where I have so much poo poo I dont even know what the base game is.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sylink posted:

When you add stuff like this, it just goes into the building rotation/chance pool right? It doesn't replace anything ?

This is going to end up like skyrim where I have so much poo poo I dont even know what the base game is.

They go into the pool with the rest of the buildings. It's a pretty nice mod, all things considered.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any mods yet to manage spreading out the cims deaths? Giving them more spread out lifespans?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I open some of these buildings in the asset editor the only stat is construction time. Where are modders setting stuff like the population? Or even the level or just any stats at all?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Hey guys, I finished a growable commercial building. It's high density commercial with a 4x4 lot. Parking and door's in and everything!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is there a mod so I can limit the amount of students I admit to university? I like my unwashed masses and would rather they stay depth grovelers. Preferably a slider or something.

If there isn't I have to make one. Actually I could make a community college that admits 1/4 the amount and uses the high school skin :unsmith: Assuming there isn't a mod already.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Keep in mind that the highways are a little funky, as there's no nub for you to start with.

This works? I figured you were required to put a bit of highway into the starting square or you wouldn't be able to build at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is no benefit to keeping people uneducated. You could probably decrease funding though in the budget panel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Hey guys, I finished a growable commercial building. It's high density commercial with a 4x4 lot. Parking and door's in and everything!

What do you mean by 'growable'?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SynthOrange posted:

It naturally appears in commercially zoned areas with available 4x4 space. :)

And on the C:SL forums there was a warning from another modder about growables possibly not working, so I tested it rigorously as well.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

That it will automatically build in a zone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

euphronius posted:

there is no benefit to keeping people uneducated. You could probably decrease funding though in the budget panel.

Yeah, this. If you don't have enough offices and poo poo for your educated workers, they'll make their way over to the lumber mill, instead. In that capacity, there's still a benefit to having a special residential colony attached to every industrial district. You just aren't necessarily required to make it a hell-hole.

((It is more fun to make it a hell hole :ssh:))

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alakaiser posted:

This works? I figured you were required to put a bit of highway into the starting square or you wouldn't be able to build at all.

There's highway access, but it's just a highway, unlike the starting maps which have a little interchange set up for you to start with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still having some odd problems with employment. I've got 12% unemployment but still tons of factories will abandon due to lack of workers, but only level 1 factories. If they survive long enough to upgrade they do fine. The same with low density commercial, I basically can't build it anymore because it will abandon due to lack of workers, yet high density is fine.

Why aren't any of these 12% unemployed people working these jobs? The moment the building upgrades it gets flooded with workers, and it's not workers moving in from other jobs as there simply are not other level 1 buildings in the city to work at. When my city is 100% no level 1 buildings I'll have no buildings complaining about employment, it's but when I build a new work area I have to do it very slowly as the level 1 buildings will abandon.

Do we know for sure how employment works? It seems educated people will maybe only work a level or two below, but a highly educated person perhaps will never work at an uneducated job?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Every now and then while I'm playing this game I remember how bad they screwed up SimCity 2013.

Remember how you had to have your agents be able to swing by school to get educated on the way to their job at the power plant, and if they couldn't it would melt down? good times.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still having some odd problems with employment. I've got 12% unemployment but still tons of factories will abandon due to lack of workers, but only level 1 factories. If they survive long enough to upgrade they do fine. The same with low density commercial, I basically can't build it anymore because it will abandon due to lack of workers, yet high density is fine.

Why aren't any of these 12% unemployed people working these jobs? The moment the building upgrades it gets flooded with workers, and it's not workers moving in from other jobs as there simply are not other level 1 buildings in the city to work at. When my city is 100% no level 1 buildings I'll have no buildings complaining about employment, it's but when I build a new work area I have to do it very slowly as the level 1 buildings will abandon.

Do we know for sure how employment works? It seems educated people will maybe only work a level or two below, but a highly educated person perhaps will never work at an uneducated job?

Employees aren't required to necessarily actually arrive at work, but they have to be able to route to work to try and get there. I have a feeling there is a combination of maximum distance they are willing to travel and the fact that already employed cims won't quit their job in order to make room for people who live closer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

Employees aren't required to necessarily actually arrive at work, but they have to be able to route to work to try and get there. I have a feeling there is a combination of maximum distance they are willing to travel and the fact that already employed cims won't quit their job in order to make room for people who live closer.

The constantly abandoning industrial area is a block away from the new mega-slum that just added about 10,000 uneducated workers :(

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Any tips on getting office to level 3? Full local service coverage and bus stops/metro stops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Mantis posted:

Any tips on getting office to level 3? Full local service coverage and bus stops/metro stops.

Add more services, you can have good service on all counts but still grow areas by overproviding on parks or transport. A policeman on every corner and a firetruck stationed at every building, safest loving office park in the universe.

And they all provide jobs for people who provide services for the police and fire services who guard the offices. :ussr:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Mantis posted:

Build more fire and police stations. Even if you have enough.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just realized-- coal plants produce 40 megawatts of power for $560/mo., or $14 per month per megawatt. Oil plants produce 120 megawatts of power for $1920/mo., or $16 per month per megawatt. Coal-fired plants are cheaper to initially construct and cheaper on a per-month basis, so why should I bother with oil plants at all?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't plunged super in depth into it but at least I've seen 12% as an oddly normal saturated job market. A job-saturated healthy unemployment ranges from 3-15% depending on the boomer age demographics, so I expect its stuff like students and retirees counting as unemployed.

Highly educated people will be lumberjacks in the right saturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I just realized-- coal plants produce 40 megawatts of power for $560/mo., or $14 per month per megawatt. Oil plants produce 120 megawatts of power for $1920/mo., or $16 per month per megawatt. Coal-fired plants are cheaper to initially construct and cheaper on a per-month basis, so why should I bother with oil plants at all?

You can dig up your own oil.