Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I bought a second hand Fuji X100S, any cool things about it I might miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

How's the Olympus lineup right now? How does the EM10 or EM5 stand up to something like the D7000 or X100 in terms of ISO and lowlight? I have an X100 right now and I was thinking of upgrading to the D7000 as I already have Nikon DX kit, but a mirrorless with a fast prime (like the X100) seems enticing.

The glass options are fantastic and my EM5 has been a wonderful step-up in low light compared to my Oly DSLR bodies. The EM10 is their budget-level version, but the EM1 and new EM5 are very good.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have a d5100 and the lens options, size and weight of the e-m10 have made it fun to shoot again.

Though I still often think maybe if I got a Fuji x100t, I would have enjoyed that just as much.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Has anyone adapted any of the Contax G lenses? Curious how those focus in real world use and how annoying it is, since they don't have a focus ring on the lens.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Fragrag posted:

I got a secondhand X100S back in September and I love it. The X100S has amazing Jpegs and gives you pretty decent options on how it comes out. David Hobby has a really good walkthrough of most of its features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMnqzjLEAs

For me, the big things are the 3 quick presets which let you have a set film simulation and custom picture options, as well as ISO (I use auto ISO most of the time, 6400 is very usable).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

DJExile posted:

The glass options are fantastic
For a newbie like me, do you know where I can find decent info on this? I still haven't really understood the mirrorless glass options, I think. I might be bad at Google, but I mostly find some odd bits here and there.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 13, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

Your hard drive space after you load the loving enormous raw files

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

For a newbie like me, do you know where I can find decent info on this? I still haven't really understood the mirrorless glass options, I think. I might be bad at Google, but I mostly find some odd bits here and there.

Here's a listing of pretty much every lens that will fit a micro 4/3 mount, so any of the Olympus Mirrorless bodies, and most (if not all) of the Panasonic ones.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here is another list, with descriptions including adapted and third party lenses:

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks, that's perfect.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Linedance posted:

Here is another list, with descriptions including adapted and third party lenses:

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

Oh drat this is awesome

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
What's the general opinion of the Panasonic GX7? I'm looking to upgrade from a point-and-shoot and it seems to do everything I want it to (take potentially nice pictures, record 1080p video), but the world of Mirrorless cameras is a new and confusing one for me. I was considering a Sony a6000, but the lack of lenses is deterring me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't you get the LX100?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Why don't you get the LX100?

It's beyond my budget. I should have mentioned that.

I've read up on it now. I will find a way to extend my budget. Thank you good sir.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 13, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What's the general opinion of the Panasonic GX7? I'm looking to upgrade from a point-and-shoot and it seems to do everything I want it to (take potentially nice pictures, record 1080p video), but the world of Mirrorless cameras is a new and confusing one for me. I was considering a Sony a6000, but the lack of lenses is deterring me.

I bought one recently as an update/upgrade to my old GF1. I wouldn't call myself a Panny fanboy, but I've had the GF1 for so long now, familiarity counts for a lot. I looked into the Fuji options since everyone raves about them in this thread, but to be honest they are all at least fully one snack bracket above what I was willing to spend, especially when you start factoring in lenses. I also got a really good deal on my GX7.
It is a really, really well designed piece of kit, and all the controls can be easily adjusted blind while looking down the viewfinder once you're familiar (there's that word again). The viewfinder itself is excellent in its tilt operation, which gives you a lot of flexibility on composing images and comfort. Tilting screen is good too, in times when you'd rather use that. It has a touch screen, which honestly I'm so not used to having I don't really use much. You can pinpoint your focus though, so of you're using a tripod and want to focus somewhere specific, you can just tell it where by pointing on the screen. Wifi file transfer is a godsend.
My only complaint is you can fairly easily switch the camera off when changing modes, and on my 100-300mm lens, autofocus leaves a great deal to be desired (this is not an issue on wider, faster lenses and pretty specific to bird or wildlife photography.) Manual focus is so easy with focus peaking and the various view options, it's practically as easy to use that, even for birds.
I don't shoot video, so I don't know about it but Panasonic m43 cameras tend to be well rated in this regard. That said, it's got a built in stop motion animation mode and a time lapse mode which could be fun to play with.
Good glass is very expensive, like any camera system, but the amount of stuff you can adapt if you don't care about auto focus is huge for m43. See the link I posted above.
Also Fuji has some weird RAW stuff going on which may be an issue if you use Lightroom, but reportedly their JPEGs are plenty good enough.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 13, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Linedance posted:

I bought one recently as an update/upgrade to my old GF1. I wouldn't call myself a Panny fanboy, but I've had the GF1 for so long now, familiarity counts for a lot. I looked into the Fuji options since everyone raves about them in this thread, but to be honest they are all at least fully one snack bracket above what I was willing to spend, especially when you start factoring in lenses. I also got a really good deal on my GX7.
It is a really, really well designed piece of kit, and all the controls can be easily adjusted blind while looking down the viewfinder once you're familiar (there's that word again). The viewfinder itself is excellent in its tilt operation, which gives you a lot of flexibility on composing images and comfort. Tilting screen is good too, in times when you'd rather use that. It has a touch screen, which honestly I'm so not used to having I don't really use much. You can pinpoint your focus though, so of you're using a tripod and want to focus somewhere specific, you can just tell it where by pointing on the screen. Wifi file transfer is a godsend.
My only complaint is you can fairly easily switch the camera off when changing modes, and on my 100-300mm lens, autofocus leaves a great deal to be desired (this is not an issue on wider, faster lenses and pretty specific to bird or wildlife photography.) Manual focus is so easy with focus peaking and the various view options, it's practically as easy to use that, even for birds.
I don't shoot video, so I don't know about it but Panasonic m43 cameras tend to be well rated in this regard. That said, it's got a built in stop motion animation mode and a time lapse mode which could be fun to play with.
Good glass is very expensive, like any camera system, but the amount of stuff you can adapt if you don't care about auto focus is huge for m43. See the link I posted above.
Also Fuji has some weird RAW stuff going on which may be an issue if you use Lightroom, but reportedly their JPEGs are plenty good enough.

That's a fantastic reply, thank you so much for taking the time, it's given me a lot to consider. I'm going to have to fondle one in a shop I think, as I have pretty big hands and when I tried a friend's m43 camera before it felt a bit wee (which I do understand is part of the appeal!)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pork Pie Hat posted:

It's beyond my budget. I should have mentioned that.

I've read up on it now. I will find a way to extend my budget. Thank you good sir.

A GX7+lens is not much cheaper than a LX100. If you want small, check out the GM1 kit. If you want good performance to cost ratio, check out used XE1 + 18-55mm bundle on ebay.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVlVOTFcg4
The aliasing! I had my heart set on an X100T until I saw this. I know it's not meant for video but that's worse than my iPhone. :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

That's a fantastic reply, thank you so much for taking the time, it's given me a lot to consider. I'm going to have to fondle one in a shop I think, as I have pretty big hands and when I tried a friend's m43 camera before it felt a bit wee (which I do understand is part of the appeal!)

Could look for something like an OMD or the GF3/4 if you want something a bit bigger. Especially with the grip, my em5s are plenty big when I need them to be.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't forget the new E-M5 Mk. II as an option.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dren posted:

Your hard drive space after you load the loving enormous raw files

I convert them to .dng :getin:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just sold a Fuji 18mm pancake and a XA1 body on ebay. I got both of them in March last year. I got the 18mm new for $318 and sold it today for 28x. So basically I lost 30 bux and 10% of value after 1 year. The XA1 I got it used for 275 last year and I sold it for 14x today.

My take away is that no matter how cheap you get your digital body, you always lost half of the value every year.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Just sold a Fuji 18mm pancake and a XA1 body on ebay. I got both of them in March last year. I got the 18mm new for $318 and sold it today for 28x. So basically I lost 30 bux and 10% of value after 1 year. The XA1 I got it used for 275 last year and I sold it for 14x today.

My take away is that no matter how cheap you get your digital body, you always lost half of the value every year.

This reminds me that I should probably sell my 18mm f/2 now that I have a 10-24mm.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Is anyone really selling used X100T's yet? I am looking to sell my original X100 and upgrade. Don't see any on KEH at the moment but wasn't sure if they pop up at all yet.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I picked up a bgn-rated Nikon 180mm F2.8 ED. I love this lens. Focus peaking makes it a joy to use and i think it reproduces great colours and sharpness. Looks kinda foolish on the A6000 tho.

DSC01572 by barebjarte, on Flickr

Low effort birdshot for referance.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thoughts about the x100t:

Continuous AF is pretty much a joke even without comparing it to continuous AF on a dslr. It frequently gets into a mode where it gets stuck in a loop rapidly focusing in front of and behind the subject. That's ok though because AF-S works great. Fast enough to catch a running toddler.

The display has eyepiece sensor mode where it can sense if your eye is at the viewfinder and switch to the viewfinder. It works well, however, if you turn on the camera away from your eye then put it to your eye right away there is a noticeable delay before the viewfinder will activate. This can be alleviated by turning on the camera with it already at your eye or using the camera in viewfinder only mode.

There can be a problem with startup lag if you've put your memory card in the computer and not formatted in camera before using it again. It's weird but once you know about it it's not a big deal.

The custom settings (configurable groups of settings) are pretty strange. Lots of options can't be part of a custom setting. For instance, you can't set face detect af mode or what sort of files to make (raw, JPEG, etc). There's actually very little you can set but there are 9 available custom settings. So... yeah.

Camera is really nice though and fun to shoot. It's small and light with nice IQ. The quick settings menu allows any settings I care about to be toggled easily. One thing that I really like is the DR400 setting where it sets the ISO to 800 and gives extra dynamic range. It made possible some shots that normally would have totally blown out areas. You have to select it before you shoot, it's not available from the raw processor. Wifi is great too.

Edit: forgot to mention that I find it weird there doesn't seem to be an in camera option for distortion correction

Dren fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

fjelltorsk posted:

I picked up a bgn-rated Nikon 180mm F2.8 ED. I love this lens. Focus peaking makes it a joy to use and i think it reproduces great colours and sharpness. Looks kinda foolish on the A6000 tho.

It's a great lens

PB090156.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fjelltorsk posted:

Looks kinda foolish on the A6000 tho.
That's mirrorless for you. :shobon:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fjelltorsk posted:

I had it for a while. This is the lens that make me grow out of the manual FF lens fever. Such a massive weapon-like lens.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 17, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is the X100S primed to my door in time for the weekend an okay deal at ~$790? Amazon seems to be the only place with used ones in stock right now (besides bh and keh don't that is).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's mirrorless for you. :shobon:

That lens looks like it's similar to my Sigma EF 170-500mm 6.3 DG. Is it also an EF like mine? How does it fare on your a7, and what adapter do you use? I'm itching to adapt mine to my a6000 (right now it's on a 450D).

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just got an X-T1. I have a lot of functions to assign...

The EVF is great and I love manual control dials. Only issue is that I had to pull the battery after it froze during remote control with my phone. I guess my X-E1 will be going up for sale soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That lens looks like it's similar to my Sigma EF 170-500mm 6.3 DG. Is it also an EF like mine? How does it fare on your a7, and what adapter do you use? I'm itching to adapt mine to my a6000 (right now it's on a 450D).
It's the EF 70-200mm HSM II without OS. The adapter is the Viltrox EF-NEX II. Works fine in regards to image quality and metadata. AF is obviously slow, but works if you need it. I rarely bother with AF. As far as the adapter goes, it's OK. There was an issue with the soft plastic parts inside the flange, that made it get stuck on the contact pins of my A7II while trying to put it on, which I've luckily noticed instead of shearing the pins off. I fixed it with a file. No issues since then. Other than that, it sometimes gets the AF/MF switch setting the wrong way, haven't tested whether that's a lens or adapter issue. Got it for a hundred bux and sits pretty tight on the mount.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is the X100S primed to my door in time for the weekend an okay deal at ~$790? Amazon seems to be the only place with used ones in stock right now (besides bh and keh don't that is).

I think that's a good deal. If you can wait, I'll be putting mine up in the buy/sell thread later this week.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have been sniping x100s auctions. Missed a deal for $640. Now the lower end price has gone back to around 670 to 700. More for the black ones.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I got my X100S second hand for 700 euros but I got that from gear nut who had already bought the X100T, which seems to be the standard price in this area. It might pay to shop around a bit first

EDIT; Looking into making my own case for the X100S and I just stumbled on this gem :stare:

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-CasesFujiFinepixX100.X10.htm

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 19, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fragrag posted:

I got my X100S second hand for 700 euros but I got that from gear nut who had already bought the X100T, which seems to be the standard price in this area. It might pay to shop around a bit first

EDIT; Looking into making my own case for the X100S and I just stumbled on this gem :stare:

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-CasesFujiFinepixX100.X10.htm

:catstare: bahahaha.

I ended up grabbing it, it seems the black ones are running a bit more (and that is what I wanted). Meh, didn't need to be a steal, just wanted to make sure it was in the right wheelhouse. Huzzah for a new toy :)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Looking at adapters for getting my small collection of EF & EF-S lenses working with my a6k. While I might break down and buy a metabones or other AF-capable adapter, I'd kind of like to spend that money on other adapters and get into the world of old manual lenses.

(I'm especially hurting for something in the <24mm wide-angle department for landscapes, seeing as how my 16-50mm kit lens is just ... Not quite there in the wide-angle IQ department, even with the automatic JPEG or LR post process correction. Any suggestions for good old manual lenses in that range?)

But my question is about the range of features offered by EF to E mount adapters on eBay. Some of them offer nothing but the ability to stick an EF lens onto the Sony. I figure these are worthless if my lens has electronically-controlled aperture unless I'm cool with shooting wide open (or stopped down - I'm not sure what the 'resting state' of these aperture rings are) forever.

The next tier up seems to be an adapter with its own manual aperture ring that sits behind the final element of the adapted lens. Are these anything but a gimmick?

And most adapters that claim to be able to control AF functions can also control aperture, too, right? Maybe?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You really should get the electronically coupled adapters. The chinese knockoff ones work, but they're less reliable and a bit slower autofocus than the Metabones one. The dumb adapters and the ones with the manual aperture controls do absolutely nothing to the lens since all EF lenses are exclusively electronically controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to pass up the chance to skimp if I could get away with it.

What about manual prime wide-angle lenses? Any standouts that are common on eBay and play well with the a6000? Is there a native E-mount wide angle that's better than the kit but not over $400?