Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I do still have my iPhone 5 I don't have any particular use for other than a backup. I could always make that my go to. I'm sure my gym has wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Ok, I have run into one place that it's a bit tricky to be a iPhone 6+ owner....the gym.

What do you 6+ goons do about keeping your iPhone on you in the gym? I guess I need deeper pockets..

Get an SPI Belt.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

enojy posted:

If you're working with free weights, I'd really recommend getting some cheap wifi device (like an older used Android) for gym use. My phone regularly falls out of my pocket at the gym (benching mainly) and I've clunked heavy dumbbells into it plenty of times.

No. Just no man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

89 posted:

Of course, this is on their forearm, but it is a bit comical:

Fiction predicts the future, again:

http://www.amazon.com/Prank-Pack-PP401008-iArm/dp/B005UEW6QM

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just buy an iPod shuffle for the gym

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Just buy an iPod shuffle for the gym

Better hope he's only listening to local files for that to be a viable solution. MyFitnessPal during workouts.

If pockets are an issue I doubt you're ever going to have a solution that beats arm band. I don't really know what the world is like with a 6+, since I'm a respectable human with a 6.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The truest answer ever is a black and hot pink fanny pack.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

enojy posted:

If you're working with free weights, I'd really recommend getting some cheap wifi device (like an older used Android) for gym use. My phone regularly falls out of my pocket at the gym (benching mainly) and I've clunked heavy dumbbells into it plenty of times.

Wouldn't a used or refurb iPod touch be an easier way of doing it?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Just buy a Spibelt like that one guy suggested. If your phone is too huge and hits you in the dick or something turn it around and put it on your rear end.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MrBond posted:

Wouldn't a used or refurb iPod touch be an easier way of doing it?

Sure, anything cheap that can play music and run apps. An Android device just came to mind, because there are plenty of ~2012 models out there going for pennies. Most devices don't retain their resale value as well as Apple products do.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I have an iPhone 5C, that really doesn't loving matter as my problem is with iTunes in general. So I had a previous computer that had all my music on it. I sync'd it up with my iPhone and a few months later that computer died. I have a new computer now, with only two albums on it that I've gotten. I wanted to add those to my phone, but found out today that I can't add them with deleting all my other music. This is starting to piss me off because I have 419 songs and no way to preserve them.

Am I SoL? Should I dump my phone for anything non-Apple? Or is there some kind of hope that I can add these 45 new songs to my existing library. Because eventually this is going to become a problem when that list of 45 gets larger.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, seems like you guys are talking about alternatives. Doesn't seem to help with the situation of my music currently on my phone but I might be able to get one of my old Droids to run my music instead once I got the music off the iPhone.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 18, 2015

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Did you buy the songs from iTunes music store or did you rip them from albums? If you didn't purchase them from iTunes, then there are programs like SharePod that let you transfer music off your iPhone to your computer. If you're on OS X, then Senuti does the same thing.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So I have an iPhone 5C, that really doesn't loving matter as my problem is with iTunes in general. So I had a previous computer that had all my music on it. I sync'd it up with my iPhone and a few months later that computer died. I have a new computer now, with only two albums on it that I've gotten. I wanted to add those to my phone, but found out today that I can't add them with deleting all my other music. This is starting to piss me off because I have 419 songs and no way to preserve them.

Am I SoL? Should I dump my phone for anything non-Apple? Or is there some kind of hope that I can add these 45 new songs to my existing library. Because eventually this is going to become a problem when that list of 45 gets larger.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, seems like you guys are talking about alternatives. Doesn't seem to help with the situation of my music currently on my phone but I might be able to get one of my old Droids to run my music instead once I got the music off the iPhone.

After you do what RhoA said, don't use the sync feature. That's for grandmoms and idiots who don't know the most basic computer concepts like "file management".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

RhoA posted:

Did you buy the songs from iTunes music store or did you rip them from albums? If you didn't purchase them from iTunes, then there are programs like SharePod that let you transfer music off your iPhone to your computer. If you're on OS X, then Senuti does the same thing.

Yeah I just found one, praying it works correctly.

Now if only I could stop my iPhone from always trying to get me to sign into iCloud (no thanks).

EDIT: Great. All this poo poo costs money. For something I'm only going to do once I'm not really feeling it. :geno:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 18, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Now if only I could stop my iPhone from always trying to get me to sign into iCloud (no thanks).

EDIT: Great. All this poo poo costs money. For something I'm only going to do once I'm not really feeling it. :geno:

Turn off iCloud in the settings?

Also, you used to be able to get all of your music off of an iPod if it was formatted for a PC. You just open it up and drag the files out. They were all named weird 4 character nonsense like 47DE, but when you imported them into itunes, it had all the correct info on it.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

I believe the trial version of SharePod still lets you transfer music off of your iPhone, but only 10 or so at a time rather than just being able to select the whole lot. It'll take more time, but I honestly can't think of a better solution than just taking some time to do it that way.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fremry posted:

Turn off iCloud in the settings?

Never noticed it had setting on when I never activated it in the first place. Thanks.

Fremry posted:

Also, you used to be able to get all of your music off of an iPod if it was formatted for a PC. You just open it up and drag the files out. They were all named weird 4 character nonsense like 47DE, but when you imported them into itunes, it had all the correct info on it.

Yeah, this now only seems to apply to my photos.

RhoA posted:

I believe the trial version of SharePod still lets you transfer music off of your iPhone, but only 10 or so at a time rather than just being able to select the whole lot. It'll take more time, but I honestly can't think of a better solution than just taking some time to do it that way.

The one I had downloaded only had 100 actions so I was expecting all of them to be like that. I'll give SharePod a try.

One upside is I found an old mp3 player I used to use that has most of my music. I might be able to skip all this downloading if I can find my remaining CDs. :pray:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why not use iCloud? Has some great features and makes for less phone janitoring.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why not use iCloud? Has some great features and makes for less phone janitoring.

This is most likely going to be my only Apple product I ever own (got it because I had a $100 rebate for a phone and it was $99.99 at the time.:v:) so I don't want it to upload a bunch of personal stuff that stays there after I replace this thing in a year or so.

Plus I hate cloud based systems in general. Don't trust 'em.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your phone is not a backup.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol get a load of the new guy.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
don't trust the cloud, man, it's out to get you

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Isn't this the plot to the last Jason Segel movie?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jose Oquendo posted:

Isn't this the plot to the last Jason Segel movie?

That would have to suggest Hitlers Gay Secret has ever had sex

OWNED! HELLA OWNED! RECKTEDK!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

This is most likely going to be my only Apple product I ever own (got it because I had a $100 rebate for a phone and it was $99.99 at the time.:v:) so I don't want it to upload a bunch of personal stuff that stays there after I replace this thing in a year or so.

Plus I hate cloud based systems in general. Don't trust 'em.

You are definitely important enough for someone to risk federal jail time in stealing your iCloud pictures of your dog.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

fleshweasel posted:

Your phone is not a backup.

Never wanted it to be in the first place. Just ended up that way when my computer died. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Today on meh

SteelSeries Stratus iOS MFi Wireless Gaming Controller

https://meh.com/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Today on meh

SteelSeries Stratus iOS MFi Wireless Gaming Controller

https://meh.com/

I want this, but I can't think of any games to play with this.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
Gridrunner or anything by Jeff Minter.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm no longer using iCloud backup because I ran out of of my 5GB space within two months of getting my iPhone 6 (and having iCloud Photo Library turned on).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I'm no longer using iCloud backup because I ran out of of my 5GB space within two months of getting my iPhone 6 (and having iCloud Photo Library turned on).

It took you 2 months? I think I ran out of space after 3 photos and 1 video. 5GB is absurdly too small, and the reason why my phone hasn't been backed up since like the second week I had my 6. It's too annoying to plug in and clean off on a weekly basis.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Just pay $.99/mo and back it up. Don't get why people refuse to pay such a small amount.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

maduin posted:

Just pay $.99/mo and back it up. Don't get why people refuse to pay such a small amount.

Personally, I just back up my photos to Amazon and then delete them off of my phone, because unlimited cloud storage for photos comes with Prime which I pay for anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If only you could choose to sync all your important data except photos and keep backups in case something happens to your phone! Maybe 5gb would be enough for a couple devices that way?

Just turn off photo syncing and let your device do its painless backups, you weirdos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My iPhone backup is 495.8 MB and my photo library of 1098 photos and 32 videos is 2.4 GB. I'm not really sure how you're eating up all 5 GB with one backup.

More interesting my iPad backup is 5.2 GB and I have no idea what's doing that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

My iPhone backup is 495.8 MB and my photo library of 1098 photos and 32 videos is 2.4 GB. I'm not really sure how you're eating up all 5 GB with one backup.

More interesting my iPad backup is 5.2 GB and I have no idea what's doing that.

Settings/icloud/storage/manage storage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, somehow I missed that! ComicZeal was backing up 3 GB of comics. No more!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm using onedrive for my photo / video backups; its automated like iCloud and far, far cheaper per gig (also I was using that already before I switched phones so)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah OneDrive is a shockingly good product. I've managed to wrack up 40+ permanent gigs free easily and I think I've got an extra 100 for 2 years? iCloud storage prices are a piss-take in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

maduin posted:

I see this far too often.

"Pay 99¢ to back up my priceless, irreplaceable data on my $650-$950 personal computing device?"

I CAN'T AFFORD THAT!