Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo may have leaked the Moto 360 2

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/19/lenovos-ceo-may-have-just-outed-the-new-moto-360/

Looks like they moved the band to outer lugs. That also seems to allow them to make the watch a bid more modular in so they can offer different band sizes and bezel sizes a bit more easily. This is probably going to factor into Moto Maker more. I just wonder if the outer bezel is something that will be user replaceable (say want to swap a stainless steel watch for a black one.) It would be neat if the inner watch module is swappable. Even better if they keep it so that later versions are compatible. That way you could upgrade and keep the same accessories.
I was just thinking this morning "I wonder how long before we get a 2nd gen 360?"

It also looks like there's a crown or button or something at the 2 position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

I was just thinking this morning "I wonder how long before we get a 2nd gen 360?"

Looks like it's a re-positioning of the current button.

It may point towards the bezel being modular (to have 4 connect points to secure the face to the surround), but it also just may be ergonomic. It's actually easier to press a button at the 2 o'clock position with your opposing hand than the 3 position.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

butt dickus posted:

Looks like 2 different face sizes. Does it still have a flat tire?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'll be there on day one just for the revised lugs. I love my 360 and will probably buy every single damned update.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Reverse Centaur posted:

I forgot to charge my GWR overnight for the first time ever, put it on at 8am with 16%, and it still lasted until 3:45pm. Not bad, LG.

On the other hand, the nexus 6's super sensitive always-on "OK Google" recognition makes everything gently caress up. Worked much better on my note 3.

This just happened to me yesterday with similar results, I think it died around 2-3 though ( wasn't looking at it ) but I've been running some of the sweet Watchmaker faces out there like http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/survival-storm-v2-0-blue-14c3203fab3 that have basically everything under the sun running on them. I'm loving the faces out now since Watchmaker made touch-sensitive hot spots - I've seen some super simple watch faces where you can just tap around in different spots to get a totally different "face" to just display say the chronograph or just the calendar etc.

I just don't get the 360 though - the flat tire would bug me so much. Even looking at it now kind of makes me annoyed - why would you ever put up with that?

I guess if you got one before the fully round watches came out then you're kind of stuck with it and either legitimately get used to it or convince yourself to get used to it since you already dropped the $$'s. I can't imagine intentionally buying a 360 these days though - get a GWR or wait for the Huawei.

#noflattire

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No ambient light sensor is a big negative for me for the GWR and I also don't like the case design. I also really don't like that it uses a proprietary charger.

The Huawei watch is months from release and we have no information on price at this point.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just pulled the trigger and bought the 360 through Amazon Warehouse Deals. It arrived today without a charger. Anticipation :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Logikv9 posted:

I just pulled the trigger and bought the 360 through Amazon Warehouse Deals. It arrived today without a charger. Anticipation :argh:

No access to other Qi chargers?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

No access to other Qi chargers?

Nah, I never caught on to wireless charging. I don't have a problem with plugging in wires and I heard that it's slower than the turbo charge I get with my phone.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Saddamnit posted:

I just didn't see much news about new watches at MWC so I just assumed there wasn't much at the show. I'm in the market for a smart watch right now but the products that are currently available don't really appeal to me. I was hoping a bunch of new products would be announced at the show to give me better selection. Did you see anything in particular that looked cool but wasn't covered by the usual tech blogs?

Sorry for the late-ish reply!

The watches were mostly all the same and only differing in whether or not you could shove a MicroSIM in there. There wasn't really anything surprising beyond the Huawei watch and the not-a-phone-not--a-smartwatch pocket-watch-like Runcible, but there's certainly no dearth of watches.

Most of them did look either like the Samsung Gears, with very few round ones, and they're in all price classes. I guess nobody's figured out what to actually do with them.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

I just don't get the 360 though - the flat tire would bug me so much. Even looking at it now kind of makes me annoyed - why would you ever put up with that?

I guess if you got one before the fully round watches came out then you're kind of stuck with it and either legitimately get used to it or convince yourself to get used to it since you already dropped the $$'s. I can't imagine intentionally buying a 360 these days though - get a GWR or wait for the Huawei.

#noflattire

The flat tire is a non-issue for me, and I suspect most if not all who actually own a 360. It doesn't in any way impact usability of the watch, and I'd much rather have a flat tire than a smaller screen surrounded by a bigger bezel like on the GWR. Give me thin bezels every day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I also didn't see anyone here mention Tag Heuer.

This morning, Google, Tag Heuer, and Intel announced a teamup for a high end wear watch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-lvmh-intel-watches-idUSKBN0MF1NU20150319

It will likely be priced in the multi-thousand range and therefore not something most people here will investigate, but it's a significant step. While we've seen watch makers sign on for Android Wear, pretty much all the released watches have been by tech companies. This is the first evidence that watchmakers themselves are starting to take the space seriously.

I can see this partnership having ripples across the space. I doubt Tag is simply going to bolt up an Intel SoC to an LCD display and call it a day. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we saw some sort of blending of Android Wear with mechanical watchmaking. In theory, there's nothing that says an Android Wear watch actually has to have a virtual watchface on it. They could easily do a display as a background for a traditional watch face or have it as some kind of translucent overlay.

This is the ultimate evolution of the design I think. We can have fully display based watches from tech companies, but then we can also have hybrid devices from traditional watch manufacturers. Even though Wear's interface itself can't be customized by the OEM, it is carefully crafted to get out of the way which would allow a hybrid design to work.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I also didn't see anyone here mention Tag Heuer.

This morning, Google, Tag Heuer, and Intel announced a teamup for a high end wear watch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-lvmh-intel-watches-idUSKBN0MF1NU20150319

It will likely be priced in the multi-thousand range and therefore not something most people here will investigate, but it's a significant step. While we've seen watch makers sign on for Android Wear, pretty much all the released watches have been by tech companies. This is the first evidence that watchmakers themselves are starting to take the space seriously.

I can see this partnership having ripples across the space. I doubt Tag is simply going to bolt up an Intel SoC to an LCD display and call it a day. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we saw some sort of blending of Android Wear with mechanical watchmaking. In theory, there's nothing that says an Android Wear watch actually has to have a virtual watchface on it. They could easily do a display as a background for a traditional watch face or have it as some kind of translucent overlay.

This is the ultimate evolution of the design I think. We can have fully display based watches from tech companies, but then we can also have hybrid devices from traditional watch manufacturers. Even though Wear's interface itself can't be customized by the OEM, it is carefully crafted to get out of the way which would allow a hybrid design to work.

I don't know how possible it could be, but a traditional watch face with a screen for the back and maybe color changing transparent hands would be a crazy smart watch concept.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I don't know how possible it could be, but a traditional watch face with a screen for the back and maybe color changing transparent hands would be a crazy smart watch concept.

I don't know why I haven't seen more wearables which are basic watches with nothing more than a LED and vibration motor. Best of both worlds. Wear is cool and all but as a watch snob I'm not exactly sold on having a screen on my wrist.

I know they exist but all the new wearables are all screens strapped to various body parts. Sometimes less is more.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Awww no, them lugs. Whatever cons come from it, I prefer the completely round body of the original moto 360.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really should be possible, especially when you are talking about a multi-thousand dollar watch.

Digitizers are drat near transparent. You could easily have the digitizer, then physical watch hands, then display.

You could make the hands super thin if you wanted to and have them react mechanically. Think of the way watches do their stopwatch functions if they only have main hands. When you touch the screen, the hands could align opposite of each other along the X axis, getting out of the way and creating sort of a dividing line across the display. To get even crazier, I think it would also be possible add LEDs on to the hands so they could mimic the display under them so they could nearly fade away when interacting with the display.

Make the hands glass with an LCD layer on them. Under normal operation they are opaque, but when you interact with the device, they become transparent to show the screen underneath.

There's a whole ton of possibilities.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another story on it:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/18/us-tagheurer-basel-idUSKBN0ME2OB20150318

quote:

Tag Heuer is planning to launch next autumn a smartwatch version of its Carrera watch that will offer many of the same functions as the Apple watch such as geolocation, distance walked and altitude.

The major difference is that the watch will be a digital replica of the original Tag Heuer black Carrera, known for its bulky, sporty allure, and will look like the original.

"People will have the impression that they are wearing a normal watch," Tag Heuer Chief Executive Jean-Claude Biver told Reuters in an interview at Baselworld, the industry's biggest fair where retailers place their orders for the year.
Course that was before the actual announcement (which had no details on design according to that other link) so who knows if the source was off there. Just for the sake of seeing something cool I'd like to see some neat mechanical element along with the digital stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's essentially just Wear in a Tag casing and bracelet.

And this from January kinda makes me lean more that way too:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-19/tag-heuer-casts-aside-swiss-made-label-to-take-on-apple-watch

quote:

For a smartwatch, we cant produce the engine, the chips, the applications, the hardware -- nobody can produce it in Switzerland, Biver said. The hardware and the software will come from Silicon Valley. But the watch case, the dial, the design, the idea, the crown, that part of the watch will, of course, be Swiss.

:words:

In addition to functionality expected of a smartwatch -- think GPS and health monitoring -- TAG Heuers timepiece will have applications that are specific to its own brand to give it a unique selling point, he said, such as tie-ups with sports it sponsors.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

eyebeem posted:

The flat tire is a non-issue for me, and I suspect most if not all who actually own a 360.

Those of us who couldn't stand the flat tire sold it or never bought it in the first place. I loved the design of the watch, more than the GWR in general, but the black bar was driving me nuts. If the battery/hardware was equal I probably would've put up with it, but that was a major factor too.

If that "leak" is the next 360 they better at least have a full circle since I really did like the way the band attached on first gen. Can't say I'm really into it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Those of us who couldn't stand the flat tire sold it or never bought it in the first place. I loved the design of the watch, more than the GWR in general, but the black bar was driving me nuts. If the battery/hardware was equal I probably would've put up with it, but that was a major factor too.

If that "leak" is the next 360 they better at least have a full circle since I really did like the way the band attached on first gen. Can't say I'm really into it.
I just use a watch face with a black background so that it is invisible. I don't even think about it, to be honest. It certainly doesn't affect interactive use because that part of the screen is too narrow to display text or whatever anyway.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I just use a watch face with a black background so that it is invisible. I don't even think about it, to be honest. It certainly doesn't affect interactive use because that part of the screen is too narrow to display text or whatever anyway.

Yeah, when I had a 360, I barely noticed that. When you do use an app or whatever, the cut out sort of matches the horizontal box of the info card, so you don't really notice it all that much.

bull3964 posted:

It really should be possible, especially when you are talking about a multi-thousand dollar watch.

Digitizers are drat near transparent. You could easily have the digitizer, then physical watch hands, then display.

You could make the hands super thin if you wanted to and have them react mechanically. Think of the way watches do their stopwatch functions if they only have main hands. When you touch the screen, the hands could align opposite of each other along the X axis, getting out of the way and creating sort of a dividing line across the display. To get even crazier, I think it would also be possible add LEDs on to the hands so they could mimic the display under them so they could nearly fade away when interacting with the display.

Make the hands glass with an LCD layer on them. Under normal operation they are opaque, but when you interact with the device, they become transparent to show the screen underneath.

There's a whole ton of possibilities.

A smart watch with a regular watch in front of the screen would be great, because you could use it as a watch when the battery was dead or to save power. I don't know how practical, though, it'd be to have all the watch mechanisms and electronics jammed into the small space. I also wonder if they are trying to figure out how to put the automatic movement into a smart watch, but make it charge a battery instead. Maybe it couldn't maintain the charge, but it can help to trickle charge it and keep it from going down so quickly. Surely someone is working on that in a lab.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Tunga posted:

This is what I do as well.

Yeah, when I had a 360, I barely noticed that. When you do use an app or whatever, the cut out sort of matches the horizontal box of the info card, so you don't really notice it all that much.

Yeah I like the rectangular look it gives the card previews.

Combined with a black background it goes quite well really.

Magog fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 20, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A smart watch with a regular watch in front of the screen would be great, because you could use it as a watch when the battery was dead or to save power. I don't know how practical, though, it'd be to have all the watch mechanisms and electronics jammed into the small space. I also wonder if they are trying to figure out how to put the automatic movement into a smart watch, but make it charge a battery instead. Maybe it couldn't maintain the charge, but it can help to trickle charge it and keep it from going down so quickly. Surely someone is working on that in a lab.

https://kairoswatches.com/

if someone wants to give me a reason to give them money other than a slick website id be grateful.

ohhh its past preordering now.. those watchbands look pretty slick too..

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 20, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LiquidCatnip posted:

https://kairoswatches.com/

if someone wants to give me a reason to give them money other than a slick website id be grateful.

ohhh its past preordering now.. those watchbands look pretty slick too..
They're 50% thicker than the 360 which is already fairly thick.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

butt dickus posted:

They're 50% thicker than the 360 which is already fairly thick.

yeah the watch doesnt do much for me.. but those bands are hot as gently caress.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Please let the new Moto 360 have OLED and not a retarded SOC.

I tried on the GWR this past weekend and almost bought it but I'm going to hold strong until we see the full landscape of 2nd gen Wear, hopefully at Google I/O. But I'm so ready to upgrade from the G Watch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Please let the new Moto 360 have OLED and not a retarded SOC.
Part of me wants it to have the same stupid flaws so that I don't feel like replacing mine after a year.

Edit: Nah, gimme the new stuff :dance: .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 21, 2015

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Three Olives posted:

Please let the new Moto 360 have Let me know, OLED and not a retarded SOC.

I tried on the GWR this past weekend and almost bought it but I'm going to hold strong until we see the full landscape of 2nd gen Wear, hopefully at Google I/O. But I'm so ready to upgrade from the G Watch.

I'm somewhat confused about both of these. OLED isn't exactly known for great viewing in sunlight so why? As for the SOC, yes, it's not purpose built but it's really performing great for what it is. The lack of a very lower power mode ala Apple watch is missing but for normal usage, there's nothing out there that has a significantly better runtime (yes, I know the Pebble but the SOC isn't what is making it last forever, it's the screen tech)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

OLED would let you do a very low power ambient mode. It is sunlight readable when the brightness is cranked way the heck up, which admittedly goes against the first point somewhat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

I'm somewhat confused about both of these. OLED isn't exactly known for great viewing in sunlight so why? As for the SOC, yes, it's not purpose built but it's really performing great for what it is. The lack of a very lower power mode ala Apple watch is missing but for normal usage, there's nothing out there that has a significantly better runtime (yes, I know the Pebble but the SOC isn't what is making it last forever, it's the screen tech)
It's not the battery life, it's that it performs like hot garbage.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

I have the 360 and it does not perform like hot garbage. It could be a bit snappier on some animations but I really don't think it impedes the use of the watch at all.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Tunga posted:

Compared to what?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have the 360 and it does not perform like hot garbage. It could be a bit snappier on some animations but I really don't think it impedes the use of the watch at all.
Compared to every other Wear device on the market it is noticeably laggy/jerky. People often comment on it when I demo it. I still love mine and you're right that it isn't a big problem in daily use but it's still there and I do notice it and that's a bit lame so I'd like to see them fix it next time. Using a four year old chip that you have lying around from a previous failed product in your flagship wearable is a bit of a joke, let's be honest. The battery life is also worse than comparable devices and it'd be nice to get another few hours from it in Ambient mode but personally I can live with it how it is.

The 360 feels like a first-gen product. And I bought it knowing that it had these flaws, so that's fine. Make it what it should have been and I'll replace it in a heartbeat.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 21, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
All apple watch buyers should read that post and take a minute to think about their upcoming purchase

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

Compared to every other Wear device on the market it is noticeably laggy/jerky. People often comment on it when I demo it. I still love mine and you're right that it isn't a big problem in daily use but it's still there and I do notice it and that's a bit lame so I'd like to see them fix it next time. Using a four year old chip that you have lying around from a previous failed product in your flagship wearable is a bit of a joke, let's be honest. The battery life is also worse than comparable devices and it'd be nice to get another few hours from it in Ambient mode but personally I can live with it how it is.

The 360 feels like a first-gen product. And I bought it knowing that it had these flaws, so that's fine. Make it what it should have been and I'll replace it in a heartbeat.

Again. It's not hot garbage. Battery life is a full day and sure, it'll get better. But its a great watch man.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

rear end Catchcum posted:

All apple watch buyers should read that post and take a minute to think about their upcoming purchase

Why? Is the Apple Watch laggy/jerky or something?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
1st gen syndrome

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Again. It's not hot garbage. Battery life is a full day and sure, it'll get better. But its a great watch man.
It's a great looking watch that has worse battery life and worse performance than every other Android Wear device. So it just depends what you prioritise. Those two downsides are objectively true but how much it matters to you is personal preference.

I own one, I wear it every day, and I don't regret buying it at all. But I've seen how well some of the other devices run in comparison and if I could get that experience with the Moto 360's physical design I'd replace it tomorrow.

And I knew all of this when I bought it, so it's cool.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Now that sunlight has finally returned to the Pacific Northwest (sort of) I'm a bit disappointed in how hard it is to read my p-oled GWR screen. Like I basically can't unless it's activated, then just barely. And its standby brightness is a lot brighter than the 360's.

Also it looks like Google is trying out this "let people know your product exists" strategy that Apple is so good at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg5klCxQGA

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Reverse Centaur posted:

Now that sunlight has finally returned to the Pacific Northwest (sort of) I'm a bit disappointed in how hard it is to read my p-oled GWR screen. Like I basically can't unless it's activated, then just barely. And its standby brightness is a lot brighter than the 360's.

Also it looks like Google is trying out this "let people know your product exists" strategy that Apple is so good at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg5klCxQGA

That was a really good ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm only 30, but with SXSW going on in town and ads like that I find myself complaining about young whippersnappers and the next generation (and also my generation) more than I probably should. I don't really get the appeal of stuff like that, but what do I know?